Adding weight

Canuck ·  
CanuckCanuck Members  730WRX Points: 0Posts: 730
Can it ruin the integrety of the putter?
Love the weight of the my 34" Odyssey Tour #5 at 355 grams. But decided to try a blade putter as I've changed my setup and could use a toe weighted flatstick.

But the Black Series #1 is only 337 grams (no matter the length). Have to admit, just fooling around in the den, feel/speed has been great in the limited confines . But the added weight in the Tour kept my stroke smoother.

Know a lot of folks swear by a 350 gram head.

I've added weight before to putters but they haven't lasted long in the bag.

• Anyone add weight to a Black? If so, where did you put it?
  • Will the added weight ruin the integrity of balance/feel/playability of a quality putter that was designed at 337 grams?
  • While the heavier weight is nice for smoothing out your stroke, does it get in the way for lag putting or anything else?
Posted:

Comments

• HoosierGolferHoosierGolfer Members  1718WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,718
    I have added weight different times by using shaft tip weights. Here is a link to kits you can purchase from GolfWorks; Click

I would not do anything permanent in case you want to resell later.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CanuckCanuck Members  730WRX Points: 0Posts: 730
    Totally agree. Not permanent.

C'mon, must be a few folks who added some lead tape/strips to their putters
    Posted:
  • bear01748bear01748 Members  19WRX Points: 0Posts: 19
    easiest way imo is to use magnets (depending on the head)

i used them for an old dunlop redneck after i cut it from 35" to 33"

to restore feel and balance

easy to use and adjust (more or less)

google rare earth magnets diffferent sizes and weights available
    Posted:
  • 502 to Right502 to Right Badds Members  8110WRX Points: 2Handicap: 8.3Posts: 8,110 Titanium Tees
    Canuck wrote on Jan 25 2009, 05:10 PM:
    Totally agree. Not permanent.

C'mon, must be a few folks who added some lead tape/strips to their putters

I have 9 grams of lead tape on the sole of my gamer. Does not adversely affect balance at all. Tiger has 10 or so grams of lead tape on the sole of his gamer right now. If it's good enough for Tiger . . .
    Posted:
  • kslinksguykslinksguy Members  106WRX Points: 0Posts: 106
    I added weight to mine via lead tap on the sole as well.

I'm not even sure how much, I just played around till something felt good.

I'm all scientific like that.
    Posted:
    Sole huh.... Never thought of that.

Doesn't grab or get stuck when grounded?

Also do you put in center or on the sides where the Anser weights are?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • CenterOfPercussionCenterOfPercussion CenterOfPercussion Members  154WRX Points: 0Handicap: 5Posts: 154
    I have a few strips that run the entire length of the sole of my putter

Used it like like that all last year, you never know it's there while putting
    Posted:
    stage1350 wrote on Jan 26 2009, 01:01 AM:
    Any golf club is like a suit.

Getting it tailored to fit you does not ruin it's integrity. It enhances it. Just make sure you find a good tailor that can fit you well. image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Very good point.

I agree. Have added weight to a number of clubs over the years.

Just don't have a lot of experience fooling around with putters and wanted to get feedback from others who have modified theirs.

BTW, added some lead stickers yesterday into the hole in the back of the head. But this seemed to change the balance slightly and I had trouble closing the putter as I came through.

Today, tried the sole suggestion from above. On top of that, I cut the sticker in half so the two pieces are directly underneath the weighted flange on each side. BINGO! Much better.

But I am very worried about the stickers falling off either from gravity or friction.
    Posted:
    Oh yeah. One more question.

One sticker, which is about 1 1/2" long, is about how many grams?
    Posted:
  • 502 to Right502 to Right Badds Members  8110WRX Points: 2Handicap: 8.3Posts: 8,110 Titanium Tees
    I run my lead tape from heel to toe on the sole.
    Posted:
  • SundayRedSundayRed Members  363WRX Points: 55Posts: 363 Greens
    Check out the pics of my Anser. Obviously not scientific at all, I take a roll of lead tape with me to the course and start adding tape until it feels right. I only put one strip on the sole, I'd be scared two would "grab" the turf, but I never have any problems with one.

I always add the weight in the cavity. It serves to deaden some of the sound from the sound slot as well, it doesn;t have that loud "ping" that it does without lead. I prefer the quieter version image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Posted:

Advertisement
  • rgbotrgbot Members  129WRX Points: 55Posts: 129 Fairways
    The club builder I use actually uses lead powder in the shaft. He uses the desired amount based on the weight you want and then a small cork plug. He uses a long metal rod to push it down firm. This is done through the butt end of the grip via a small funnel.

I prefer this method mainly because I am not a fan of the looks of lead tape, total personal preference plus the lead powder and small cork plug can be removed fairly easily.
    Posted:
    Adams 9015D 9.5 (Black Tie)
    Tour edge XCG7 (11.5)
    Tour edge cb2 (16.5)
    Adams XTD Ti 20
    Cleveland 588 CB (4-P)
    Nike Raw 54,58
    TP Mill Workshop IV
  • CMAN300CMAN300 Members  329WRX Points: 0Posts: 329
    On my putter I have about 20 strips running along the entire surface of the sole of my putter. My brother has the same thing but he also put sand in the full length of the shaft. I have never noticed any problems with grounding the putter and there is a lot of lead tape down there.
    Posted:
  • djl0657djl0657 Members  353WRX Points: 0Posts: 353
    I have a swingweight machine at home. I purchased a MIZUNO/BETTINARDI C-01H, 34 inch putter earlier this year. When I got it home, it swingweighted to about a D-3. Too light, based on personal experience. I added about four points of swingweight (lead patches and tape to the top of the rear bumper), got it to about a D-7 and it felt great. Too light of a putter head and I am all over the place with my backswing and then struggle to gain control on the forward stroke. No problems with lag putting with the heavier weights. I eventually traded the BETTINARDI on a five wood and am now putting with a MALTBY that has a swingweight in the E-1 range and I have been very good with it. Hope this helps.
    Posted:
  • claytonstoker21claytonstoker21 Members  623WRX Points: 55Posts: 623 Golden Tee
    if you add lead tape to the sole. i would suggest adding it to the face side of the sole. if added tape to thich on the flange it will cause the putter the have negative sole draft resulting in the loft to be decreased to a possible negative loft.
    Posted:
    Since starting this thread, I've added 1" to the putter.

Again this is a new style for me and I think I need to stand a little taller with this toe weighted beauty.

Of course, the extra inch makes the head feel heavier. So far, so very good!

Having a little trouble releasing the putter at times. Might the weight, might be the lie....

THANKS ALL FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.