Grinding a wedge!!!!

Comments

• joey3108joey3108 Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx Bay AreaMarshals Posts: 7,844 mod
    doublenuts wrote on Mar 6 2006, 10:35 AM:

If any of you are interested in the JET tool JK is using.

There are a couple of the 6" version on EBAY at $219 down from 279.

Check it!

You were right!

That is the exact attachment that i have.

Joe
  • neilcneilc Members Posts: 1,663
    Joe,

just joined the site.I ama clubmaker from Scotland working part time in thailand.look at www.4gea.com most days.

Is is easier to put the club in the vice? I find it easy to put the drill in the vice and hold the club in gloves and polish etc in that position.

lots of good infor here,\\\

thanks

Neil
  • joey3108joey3108 Proud founding sponsor and pioneer of golfwrx Bay AreaMarshals Posts: 7,844 mod
    neilc wrote on Mar 7 2006, 04:20 AM:

Joe,

just joined the site.I ama clubmaker from Scotland working part time in thailand.look at www.4gea.com most days.

Is is easier to put the club in the vice? I find it easy to put the drill in the vice and hold the club in gloves and polish etc in that position.

lots of good infor here,\\\

thanks

Neil

The best is using a bench grinder and keep exchanging the wheel as needed! but i don't have enough room in my shop.

JOe
  • cpa49707cpa49707 ClubWRX Posts: 1,573
    Nice looking work Joe. Sure wish you were closer to me and check out my swing and see what shafts and adjustment my clubs need.

Dont say a word about my swing either, its taken me years to get this swing blue printed image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ok:' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
  • badstrickbadstrick I'd Hit That! It's Tour Issued! Members Posts: 171 ✭✭
    dre72 wrote on Mar 6 2006, 08:43 PM:

Joe,

My wedge looks GREAT I can't wait to try it.

Joe,

Great post and very informative. Hey dre it'll just be about 4' outside of my shot! image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • DynoDyno Charter Members Posts: 1,902
    Bump for everyone that's interested.
  • gibbyfangibbyfan Members Posts: 1,191 ✭✭
    Is there a way that we can keep this posted at the top.
  • Triplebogey16Triplebogey16 Members Posts: 945
    Nice job....Here is some of my work. Not as good as you but I try...
  • NoonanNoonan Members Posts: 397
    Joe,

Is there a special padded front wheel that can be purchased for these bench grinders?
    Noonan wrote on Mar 6 2007, 08:40 PM:

Joe,

Is there a special padded front wheel that can be purchased for these bench grinders?

You need to look at the whole post again. The one I use is a rubber padded wheel.
  • NoonanNoonan Members Posts: 397
    joey3108 wrote on Mar 7 2007, 01:34 AM:

Joe,

You need to look at the whole post again. The one I use is a rubber padded wheel.

Joe,

I saw the whole post. I have a similar grinder in my shop at home. The front wheel on mine is a hard rubber. I was wondering if the rubber padded wheel that you have is something that I can purchase on my own to install on my machine?

I would assume that a softer padded wheel would make it easier to blend the grind smoother.

Thanks.
  • yooseyoose Members Posts: 49
    thats awesome joe, thanks for sharing. i wish i was still in the bay area.

yoose
    Noonan wrote on Mar 7 2007, 09:04 AM:

joey3108 wrote on Mar 7 2007, 01:34 AM:

Joe,

Joe,

I saw the whole post. I have a similar grinder in my shop at home. The front wheel on mine is a hard rubber. I was wondering if the rubber padded wheel that you have is something that I can purchase on my own to install on my machine?

I would assume that a softer padded wheel would make it easier to blend the grind smoother.

Thanks.

I use the flap wheel or finishing wheel to blend.

For shaping, you need the harder rubber.

There are a spongy type one but it's to much trouble for to replace the sand paper.

Yoose,

my pleasure!
  • webberwebber Webber Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭
    Joe, I see the headweight at 300. Normally Vokeys are around 306. Only 6 grams of weight loss for an M grind?
    Taylormade M4 9.5 Evenflow Black 65 6.5
    Taylormade M4 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Titleist 816 H2 19* Diamana D+ 90 X
    Ping iBlade 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50F-54S, Taylormade Hi-Toe 60.10
    Taylormade Spider Red
    Pro V1
  • lefty92lefty92 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,263
    Hey Joe, I have a couple questions.

1. What do you use get the sharpie off afterwords?

2. After polishing, if it isn't perfect, what is the ideal material to round off any edges and what not? I would imagine something like a 400-grit “wet” sandpaper.

3. I have a bench grinder similar to the one in the picture, and was wondering if it is capable of doing the M grind you did.

• Hawkeye03Hawkeye03 Members Posts: 357 ✭✭
    golfercody wrote on Mar 7 2007, 01:56 PM:

2. After polishing, if it isn't perfect, what is the ideal material to round off any edges and what not? I would imagine something like a 400-grit "wet" sandpaper.

3. I have a bench grinder similar to the one in the picture, and was wondering if it is capable of doing the M grind you did.

Hi, I did this grind on a bench grinder like yours.

• lefty92lefty92 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,263
    Nice, thanks. image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />
    edited Mar 7, 2007 #49
    webber wrote on Mar 7 2007, 10:27 AM:

Joe, I see the headweight at 300. Normally Vokeys are around 306. Only 6 grams of weight loss for an M grind?

YES, M grind took a lot of metal, if you add P grind too it is even worst.

Joe
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    golfercody wrote on Mar 7 2007, 11:56 AM:

2. After polishing, if it isn't perfect, what is the ideal material to round off any edges and what not? I would imagine something like a 400-grit “wet” sandpaper.

Thank you,

Cody

1. acetone

2. finishing wheel or flap sander.

3. Depends on your skill level.

JOe
    Joe,

i was wondering what the advantage is of using that attachment you have as opposed to the normal wheel that comes on the grinder like in post #47? Thanks.

Yoose
    yoose wrote on Mar 22 2007, 09:46 AM:

Joe,

i was wondering what the advantage is of using that attachment you have as opposed to the normal wheel that comes on the grinder like in post #47? Thanks.

Yoose

Easier to control the movement of your hand , plus Rubber wheel is a must.
  • HumberGolf  HumberGolf Members Posts: 295
    i did the exact same grind on my 60 sv, except it took me alot longer that u joe......i did it with a hand file...lol...i love the grind....amazing versatility
    james wrote on Mar 22 2007, 09:12 PM:
    i did the exact same grind on my 60 sv, except it took me alot longer that u joe......i did it with a hand file...lol...i love the grind....amazing versatility

Good Job!

Result is more important, isn't it?

Joe image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    joey3108 wrote on Mar 22 2007, 09:46 AM:

Joe,

Yoose

Sorry for all the questions, but ive never done any grinding with that attachment wheel and want to learn. Why is the Rubber Wheel is must? What purpose does it serve? Thanks.

yoose
    yoose wrote on Mar 23 2007, 12:07 AM:

Joe,

Yoose

Sorry for all the questions, but ive never done any grinding with that attachment wheel and want to learn. Why is the Rubber Wheel is must? What purpose does it serve? Thanks.

yoose

Just look at the angle on how i hold the club while i'm grinding and how wide is the sand paper, is it possible you can do that and not slipping if it just relying on the normal wheel only? And it gives you more room to move around.

The slight soft pad rubber wheel will give you a better leverage to push againts it and give you a better feel how hard or light your hands will be.
    joey3108 wrote on Mar 22 2007, 11:13 PM:
    yoose wrote on Mar 23 2007, 12:07 AM:

Joe,

Yoose

yoose

Just look at the angle on how i hold the club while i'm grinding and how wide is the sand paper, is it possible you can do that and not slipping if it just relying on the normal wheel only? And it gives you more room to move around.

The slight soft pad rubber wheel will give you a better leverage to push againts it and give you a better feel how hard or light your hands will be.

Joey,

Thanks for being patient with my questions and answering them all. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience.

yoose
  • ghudsonghudson Members Posts: 77
    Hi Joe, Absolutely great stuff thank you so much. I'm getting my equipment together to do fitting and was wondering if you could recommend a digital bench scale for shop use. Also if sometime you could do an article on grinds for irons that would be great. Thanks again ghud
    edited Apr 1, 2007 #59
    ghudson wrote on Mar 23 2007, 09:45 AM:
    Hi Joe, Absolutely great stuff thank you so much. I'm getting my equipment together to do fitting and was wondering if you could recommend a digital bench scale for shop use. Also if sometime you could do an article on grinds for irons that would be great. Thanks again ghud

I never heard anything good about swing weight digital scale so far, it's to un reliable!

Stick w/ the old school if i were you!

Iron grinding is basically depending on the players style swinging the club and his bread and butter shot. Other than that you need to understand what will change and react if you grind certain area...Cosmetically need to be learn also to do some visual trick of it. I would love to write a book of it but I'm not sure if my time allow me to do so now, plus writing is not my best subject at all. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> I'd rather talk! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Joe
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ghudsonghudson Members Posts: 77
    Joe The old school Dial A Gram scale? Nice
    ghudson wrote on Mar 23 2007, 02:43 PM:
    Joe The old school Dial A Gram scale? Nice

I was assuming you are talking about Swingweight scale, wasn't it?