Solid putter for Utley method

NDNick

Switching from SBST crosshanded
I'm looking to get a new putter to complement Utley's method of putting, which is pretty much a standard arc. I really feel comfortable using a 35" putter with said method although I've always used 33" or 34" putter crosshanded. I am looking at a Circa 62 #3 and like the looks but am a little concerned with forgiveness. Being a 2.2 Index I am quite embarrassed to admit I used the word "forgiveness" and "putter" in the same sentence, but I have really struggled the past few years. I do love Scotty's though, used to own one. Using a Tomi putting device I determined I cut across the ball at about a 2 degree angle and I'm hoping the arc stroke will help alleviate the problem. Sorry for the rambling but I am open to any putter recommendations from the knowledgeable and helpful golf minds on this board. Thanks a ton

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to get a new putter to complement Utley's method of putting, which is pretty much a standard arc. I really feel comfortable using a 35" putter with said method although I've always used 33" or 34" putter crosshanded. I am looking at a Circa 62 #3 and like the looks but am a little concerned with forgiveness. Being a 2.2 Index I am quite embarrassed to admit I used the word "forgiveness" and "putter" in the same sentence, but I have really struggled the past few years. I do love Scotty's though, used to own one. Using a Tomi putting device I determined I cut across the ball at about a 2 degree angle and I'm hoping the arc stroke will help alleviate the problem. Sorry for the rambling but I am open to any putter recommendations from the knowledgeable and helpful golf minds on this board. Thanks a ton

I use the Utley method and find it compliments my natural tendency to putt on an arc anyway. In terms of finding a solid putter for this method there are so many to chose from, it's almost hard to know where to begin. You'll probably get a lot of difference answers on here but any classic Anser style head would work well. In fact almost anything with some toe hang! Much will be your own personal preference based on set up, head style, head weight, whether you want an insert, finish & budget etc, but some options for starters would include;

- Byron 006 or 007. Great putters with plenty of fans on here.

- Whiltam Devon - My current putter of choice. Hugely underrated putter.

- Camerons - numerous ones to choose from but I always liked the original Newports

- Ping - Redwoods and Karsten series are both very good.

The list could go on and on. Do you have any particular models in mind (other than the Circa 62) to help narrow it down?

First of all, congrats on being a 2.2. NICE!

Second, I know from where you speak. I use to have a problem when using my last toe weighted putter. It happened to be a Scotty Mil Spec. For some reason, even though I've always been a decent lag putter, I never left so many long putts short. I had trouble hitting the sweet spot, especially on those longer ones.

That was my last toe weighted putter for many years as I decided a mallet would be so much better, especially the new high tech ones with huge MOI and sweet spots.

But, I am now coming back. Been working hard to find anser style putters that fits me that is also forgiving. Found the Odyssey Black #1 to have a huge sweet spot. Give it a try and let us know.

Best of luck!

First of all, congrats on being a 2.2. NICE!

Second, I know from where you speak. I use to have a problem when using my last toe weighted putter. It happened to be a Scotty Mil Spec. For some reason, even though I've always been a decent lag putter, I never left so many long putts short. I had trouble hitting the sweet spot, especially on those longer ones.

That was my last toe weighted putter for many years as I decided a mallet would be so much better, especially the new high tech ones with huge MOI and sweet spots.

But, I am now coming back. Been working hard to find anser style putters that fits me that is also forgiving. Found the Odyssey Black #1 to have a huge sweet spot. Give it a try and let us know.

Best of luck!

Hey I'm sure a 5 like yourself could take me on plenty of days haha. I'm in the same boat. I also had the Mil Spec and putted with a little bit of inconsistency. I went to two different versions of the 2-Ball, White Hot #5, other random putters and even a belly putter for 1 round (gasp). I actually bought an Itsy Bitsy last fall but haven't played with it yet and am already bailing. Nice. But I am coming full circle and realizing that committing to a Scotty (or other nice blade) is the ticket. I may look at the newer Odyssey's as well. Something's got to work because it couldn't possibly be me.

Also thank you 502 to right for the confirmation of the Circa 62, I feel better about the "forgiveness". I may be a 2.2, but some of my 3 footers are simply laughable. Being from MN I don't hear too much good stuff from a Wisconsin resident but you represent your state well haha.

After a few seasons of mediocre putting I abandoned the SBST and went back to the arc using Utley's book. Instead of using an Anser or Newport, I went back to a blade White Hot 8. I'm putting much better.

Maybe it's all in my head, maybe I concentrate more with a pure blade. I don't make everything I look at but my misses are much closer now and putting has become fun again.

I would definitely pick up a copy of the Art of Putting. Utely gives very specific advice about the type of putters he belives complement the stroke he teaches. There is a lot there on recommended specs for length, lie, and loft (for the record, he says he fits most players to 35", 68*, and 4-5*).

A putter with no or little offset may help aim.

SeeMore has several non offset models with the RST System. Having a neutral spine angle with the shaft vertical and your nose under it, will also help aim. As to the forward press, Utley thinks it makes one more aggressive. Make your own call on that one. You can also go for reduced offset with a Scotty Anser style in the short neck.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

i would def go with something center shafted/straight shafted. this will allow your eyes to see your clubface square up a lot better. offset putters tend to play tricks on your eyes. i see a lot of guys coming to the studio and thinking they have an arc putting stroke, but find out the come straight back and then release the putter head.

seemore allows you to assure yourself your in the same exact spot you were before. and with the rst system, it gives instant feedback to your stroke.