Burnout in Touraments

tigerphan

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two day events? just on weekends?

I don't think I would ever burn out playing 2 day events as a teenager..I used to play 18-54 holes a day 5-7 days a week from June-September while out of school, and while in school 36 almost every weekend I could as the minimum. I can't remember once from like age 12-16 where I felt like I was worn out from playing golf.

Now that I'm an old man (22) obviously work and other things get in the way, but I still don't think given the opportunity I would take a week off from tournaments as a junior unless I was in a real real bad stretch and took the time to work out some kinks instead.

As long as money never is an issue, play the most you can and gain the most experience.

Forgot to mention, when I play tourament is can be hours of driving, hotels, etc.. short of like a junior tour pro (lol). And yes two day touraments on the weekend, in the summer its basically far big junior touraments that are 4 days noramally, for a few weeks in a row, I just am wondering if people go though fatigue/burnout. Including factors like travelle, hotels etc..

Even to any pro golfer that plays how many touraments in row for you is too many?

P.S. I don't think I've ever gona get tired of it, given the oppurnity just wondering,

Ah well travel makes a big difference.

When I was growing up most tournament I played were within 2 hours of where I lived and also only one day.

I think on tour if your a single guy, or just have a gf/wife no kids or struggling to keep your card you could play about 80% of the schedule comfortably which I think would be about 29 events (I think there are 36 weeks not counting FedEx Cup weeks and the Presidents Cup?).

Some guys play more 30+. A few guys even played all 36 weeks last year.

With a wife and kids or guys not in danger to lose their card...I think your down a little lower around 60% and about 20-23.

Just look on last years money list and you can see guys who are family men before golfers, and guys who have a small or no family.

It all depends on your situation, Personally if I was an average Tour Pro I would be out there every week I was able too trying to get that big break.

Ah well travel makes a big difference.

When I was growing up most tournament I played were within 2 hours of where I lived and also only one day.

I think on tour if your a single guy, or just have a gf/wife no kids or struggling to keep your card you could play about 80% of the schedule comfortably which I think would be about 29 events (I think there are 36 weeks not counting FedEx Cup weeks and the Presidents Cup?).

Some guys play more 30+. A few guys even played all 36 weeks last year.

With a wife and kids or guys not in danger to lose their card...I think your down a little lower around 60% and about 20-23.

Just look on last years money list and you can see guys who are family men before golfers, and guys who have a small or no family.

It all depends on your situation, Personally if I was an average Tour Pro I would be out there every week I was able too trying to get that big break.

Thanks , so basically me being young and all get in as many as I can(hopefully get noticed by a University :P)

I love playing in tournaments but I dont really get into taking them that serous as I play local 1 day events. As far as burnout I dont really think so, I went to Arizona for like 20 days over winter break and played 27 a day every day, if anything I become more obsessed with golf.

your my god!

tiger I would throw in a break after three events.

I've had a couple stretches that were just too much (I'm beyond physically fit). Sometimes you just need a couple days to a week off.

I would come back Monday morning from wherever (most of the time Florida) and would have to leave again Thursday night to play a practice round Friday morning. It gets exhausting.

Not to mention, there's just no point. You're better off playing two or three events at a time and taking a break rather than playing five or six in a row and being tired for the last two or three.

tiger I would throw in a break after three events.

I've had a couple stretches that were just too much (I'm beyond physically fit). Sometimes you just need a couple days to a week off.

I would come back Monday morning from wherever (most of the time Florida) and would have to leave again Thursday night to play a practice round Friday morning. It gets exhausting.

Not to mention, there's just no point. You're better off playing two or three events at a time and taking a break rather than playing five or six in a row and being tired for the last two or three.

Thanks for advice, I will try to limit, but the way Canada has some of the junior events set-up is stupid, all together, and then supid long breaks :russian_roulette: , well I guess I'll just have to get even more fit to be able to strive off fatgiue

It's not about the physical fatigue.

Mentally it becomes too much if you're putting full effort into your events.

Tiger could physically play 10 or 15 more events than he usually does every year, but mentally he would probably suffer. Not to mention, Tiger's "mental endurance" is.. let's just say he's been doing it for a while :)

Just be careful! Never good to find yourself in a spot telling yourself you're sick of golf right before an event. Work your a** off, not your head!

It's not about the physical fatigue.

Mentally it becomes too much if you're putting full effort into your events.

Tiger could physically play 10 or 15 more events than he usually does every year, but mentally he would probably suffer. Not to mention, Tiger's "mental endurance" is.. let's just say he's been doing it for a while :)

Just be careful! Never good to find yourself in a spot telling yourself you're sick of golf right before an event. Work your a** off, not your head!

Will do :P

Last summer was kind of a trial summer at a big stage for me. I had been seeing a coach all winter and let go of lessons because I didn't want to mess with my swing. I played in about 6-7 larger tournaments, as well as 2 little one day tournaments a week. However my problem is that I focused to much on those little one day events like they actually mattered. So like the guy a couple above me said, I got mentally worn out and my play took a turn for the worst. Midway through July I was averaging somewhere around 82, something had to change. I took a few weeks off and had a couple of lessons. Whether this was because of the lessons or the break I'm not sure, though it was probably a combo of both, I had an average of 76.25.

The moral of the story, focus on only the events that are important. If those 6 events are of high quality than play in all of them. But make sure to just relax in the time in between. Just hit balls and watch TV. A time honored recipe for success :)

Last summer I played 27 tournaments in about 2 1/2 months. They were only on weekdays, and I would play 3 tournys a week max. Wow, I got so burnt out. Most of the events you had to pay in advance, so I had to go even if I knew I could not contend. I started shooting in high 80's and even the low 90's and started losing all faith in my game. After a 2 week break between summer and fall high school golf season, I started to get my game back. After a couple 75's and averaging in the high 70's, I knew that I scheduled way to many and I will never make that mistake again.

Now I will practice hard this summer and play in the marque events in Colorado instead of playing everything I could sign my name to.

ZP

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter