Getting into College Golf as a Non-Junior

interesting conversation with my buddy.
So I'm back home for the winter, and was recently talking to a guy I grew up with who I played junior golf with as well.

He took the PGM program and graduated last April and has also like me decided not to continue to pursue the golf industry. Instead he has decided to try to go back to school.

Unlike myself he didn't get his CPGA card, so is still considered an "amateur" and can play tournaments like the Ontario Am, the Local Tour here, Great Lakes Tour and also try to qualify for the US Pub Links and US Am.

He has hinted that he is going to try to use golf to go back to school and gain a scholarship.

My question is has anyone been on a team with an "older" guy? (He isn't OLD, he's going to be 23 this year)

Would a scholarship work the same for someone who's a little older than guys just getting out of high school?

Is this something that happens often? Anyone have any experience with this, we are both kind of lost about how it works at this age.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the only thing you have to make sure you have is:

ย 

a) amateur status, and

ย 

b) college elligibility.

ย 

Did you see the recent news article yesterday about the 73-yr old guy who never finished his college basketball career because of bad prank and went back to college and got on the basketball team at age 73? he even scored in some games.....except he couldn't pass Spanish and became in-elligible because of grades, lol.

ย 

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/feb/20/7...led-ineligible/

ย 

So I'm back home for the winter, and was recently talking to a guy I grew up with who I played junior golf with as well.

ย 

He took the PGM program and graduated last April and has also like me decided not to continue to pursue the golf industry. Instead he has decided to try to go back to school.

ย 

Unlike myself he didn't get his CPGA card, so is still considered an "amateur" and can play tournaments like the Ontario Am, the Local Tour here, Great Lakes Tour and also try to qualify for the US Pub Links and US Am.

ย 

He has hinted that he is going to try to use golf to go back to school and gain a scholarship.

ย 

My question is has anyone been on a team with an "older" guy? (He isn't OLD, he's going to be 23 this year)

ย 

Would a scholarship work the same for someone who's a little older than guys just getting out of high school?

ย 

Is this something that happens often? Anyone have any experience with this, we are both kind of lost about how it works at this age.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callawayย Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*);ย Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

So he just talked to the NCAA and this is the scoop:

ย 

Once you are enrolled full time anywhere, your 5 year clock starts. Once those 5 years are up you are out of eligibility.

ย 

So once you start full time post secondary you have 5 years of NCAA eligibility.

ย 

aka he's screwed lol.

ย 

That's where the NAIA comes in. I believe the only rule for those schools is you have ten semesters in which you can play eight with no time clock.

Driver: TaylorMade M4 (Tensei Blue 60)
3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ
Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3
5-PW: TayloMade P790 (TT S300 DG105, 3* Flat)
48*: Callaway Vintage Forged +
52*, 56*: Callaway X Forged Vintage
60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
Putter: Ping Stainless Anser 2, Ping Stainless B60, Odyssey White Hot 2Ball Blade, Odyssey White Steel Rossie, 1979 TaylorMade Heel Shafted Blade (I keep them in rotation until one quits working.)
Ball: Vice Pro Soft Lime

Yup exactly what he was told.

ย 

The NAIA gives you 8 semesters of playing time with no clock and doesn't matter about your prior schooling.

ย 

Anyone have any information about NAIA scholarships they can share.

ย 

All I've been able to find for him is a stat that says "90% of NAIA schools offer athletic scholarships"

Yup exactly what he was told.

ย 

The NAIA gives you 8 semesters of playing time with no clock and doesn't matter about your prior schooling.

ย 

Anyone have any information about NAIA scholarships they can share.

ย 

All I've been able to find for him is a stat that says "90% of NAIA schools offer athletic scholarships"

ย 

And I'm a coach for one of the other 10 percent. But the school's really damn good! Kinda makes drawing in the blue-chippers a little tough, but thankfully the school is very progressive when it comes to offering different kinds of financial aid.

Driver: TaylorMade M4 (Tensei Blue 60)
3-Wood: TaylorMade RBZ
Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3
5-PW: TayloMade P790 (TT S300 DG105, 3* Flat)
48*: Callaway Vintage Forged +
52*, 56*: Callaway X Forged Vintage
60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled
Putter: Ping Stainless Anser 2, Ping Stainless B60, Odyssey White Hot 2Ball Blade, Odyssey White Steel Rossie, 1979 TaylorMade Heel Shafted Blade (I keep them in rotation until one quits working.)
Ball: Vice Pro Soft Lime

You have 5 years to play 4 once you start school.

ย 

Rules is Rules

This is correct again like I said he talked directly with NCAA Admissions and Eligibility.

ย 

Once you start post secondary school as a full time student your clock starts. With the NCAA it doesn't matter where you start, what school, etc.

ย 

Once your enrolled full time your 5 years start.

ย 

The NAIA is different as your 5 year clock is non-existent and you are eligibile for 10 semesters of play with no time limit.

Well we both went for the intention of continuing education after that an eventually getting an MBA, becoming either Head Professional or Directors of Golf.

ย 

The PGM was the best way that I saw to get a jump start in the industry, and I have to say being a grad and being a Professional that it was very positive in making the transition to the golf industry much easier.

ย 

Using golf business based examples and real life scenarios helped out a lot.

ย 

If you want to get into the golf industry this is great way to jump in, continue your schooling after the PGM to get higher up, but a wonderful way to get in IF you want in the golf industry...

ย 

I don't know why anyone would want in this industry right now though lol...hence PGM's closing...

we talked a little on pm about it... but yea i knew that you get 4 years in the NCAA didn't know about the 5 years once enrolled though... good to know... some good information about the NCAA and NAIA...

โ€œHe that can have patience can have what he will.โ€ ~ Benjamin Franklin
โ€œGolf is a game that is played on a five-inch course โ€“ the distance between your ears.โ€ ~ Bobby Jones
โ€œA good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.โ€ ~ Ben Sayers

So probably last update on this:

ย 

If you are the graduate of a 3 year PGM, you have 4 semesters of eligibility left in the NAIA

If you are the graduate of a 4 year degree program, you have 2 semesters of eligibility left in the NAIA.

ย 

ย 

So basically once you enter school you begin losing eligibility whether or not your playing a sport at the time.

ย 

Just some information for anyone who wants to know.

Your 10 semesters don't run out 5 years after you enter school.

ย 

ย 

"The NAIA gives you 8 semesters of playing time with no clock and doesn't matter about your prior schooling."

ย 

For every semester you are enrolled full time in a post secondary school you lose 1 semester of the 10. So if your a normal graduate you would have 8/10 semesters of eligibility gone and only be able to participate in a sport for 2 more semesters.

ย 

But unlike the NCAA your clock doesn't automatically run out after 5 years. This is what about about "previous schooling".

ย 

If you were 24 and never enrolled full time in post secondary you would still have 10 semesters of NAIA eligibility and 5 years of NCAA eligibility.

ย 

It doesn't matter if you played the sport or not in the previous post secondary institution.

ย 

ย 

This is straight from the NAIA Director of Membership Services.

I graduated high-school and played one year of baseball at a juco. Then transferred to a d1 university and ended up having tommy johns surgery. i then went to work for my dad at his insurance agency. 6 years later, at the age of 26, I was playing golf in a bar-b-que tournament with the golf coach at a d2 school. I ended up getting a scholarship to go back and get my degree. In d1, you have 4 years or 8 semesters of eligibility from your first full-time semester in any college. For d2, you have 8 semesters with no "clock" like in d1. I had a blast and there were no "chemistry issues" on our team regarding my age. I felt a little wierd around the 18/19 year old chicks, but i got over it..... I was actually one year older than the coach....

I believe the only thing you have to make sure you have is:

ย 

a) amateur status, and

ย 

b) college elligibility.

ย 

Did you see the recent news article yesterday about the 73-yr old guy who never finished his college basketball career because of bad prank and went back to college and got on the basketball team at age 73? he even scored in some games.....except he couldn't pass Spanish and became in-elligible because of grades, lol.

ย 

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/feb/20/7...led-ineligible/

:lol:

I graduated high-school and played one year of baseball at a juco. Then transferred to a d1 university and ended up having tommy johns surgery. i then went to work for my dad at his insurance agency. 6 years later, at the age of 26, I was playing golf in a bar-b-que tournament with the golf coach at a d2 school. I ended up getting a scholarship to go back and get my degree. In d1, you have 4 years or 8 semesters of eligibility from your first full-time semester in any college. For d2, you have 8 semesters with no "clock" like in d1. I had a blast and there were no "chemistry issues" on our team regarding my age. I felt a little wierd around the 18/19 year old chicks, but i got over it..... I was actually one year older than the coach....

ย 

ย 

I know you have first hand experience but I talked directly with the NCAA as well.

ย 

The way they told it to me was when you enter post secondary you have 5 years to be eligible for playing a sport.

ย 

They also told me the NAIA was the only other organization they knew of that didn't have a clock.

ย 

Maybe things have changed from when you went because this was last week.