Stratton's MACHINE

Deerslayer

Is there a better putter company?
We are off for a 1:00 tee time with some friends, but I wanted to post a quick pick before we go of Stratton's new wand. Pictures do not do justice to ANY of Machine Putters equipment! I will say, Machine is a first class operation from top to bottom. I will post a full review of our experience and fitting appointment with Machine Golf this evening when we return, but for now this is what Stratton will be brandishing this afternoon!

StrattsMachine.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stratton's birthday is coming up this month and although he won and placed second in his last two tournaments, he has struggled with his putting as of late. In talking to him, he was feeling like he was not getting the ball rolling on his intended line consistently and was having more trouble with initially lining up. For the last year or two, he has used and flipped between his Scotty Cameron SS 1.5 and one of his Odyssey 9's (XG, black9i) depending on the green conditions. He talked to me about maybe trying a something with a larger alignment line on it or even going back to a 2-Ball mallet which he used 3 years ago. Wanting a putter for his birthday, it didn't take me long to decide the route we would go. I have been looking at all putter manufacturers equipment big an small for a while now and decided to get him fit for a putter with a Machine Putter. This was a no-brainer for me. I had been watching the work Dave Billings had been putting out and was impressed with the quality and innovation of his company. I also had dealings with Chris Choeppner on this site that had nothing to do with a putter and realized in a very short time, not only did Machine have a quality product, they had quality individuals working there.

I was out of town on business most of the week so one added travel day was nothing to take a couple hour trip to Dallas. Stratton knew what was planned for Saturday and during the week, studied every picture he could find of a MACHINE putter. I told him to copy every picture that had elements of putters that Dave and Chris had posted and save them to put them in a collage to send to show what he liked. When I asked what he had done so far, he told me over the phone that he had twenty some odd pictures! LOL I told him to pair it down and show a couple with the head shape, a couple with the hosel and a couple with the finish he liked and put them on a sheet that we could email to Dave at DLR.

Saturday morning came quick and Stratton and I traveled to Hank Haney's Golf Ranch World Headquarters in Lewisville to the Machine Putter Studio. We were greeted by Dave, Dwight and Benny. Following introductions, Dave began to discuss with Stratton elements of his putting style, and preferences. Even after adding almost 20 grams to Stratton's studio select 1.5, it incredibly had a swing weight of only A7. They set Stratton up on the SAM putting analyzer and began to study his stroke with his putter on the SAM system.

Following the first session, we learned a few things. First off, due to his stroke, he would benefit from a putter with less toe hang than what he is currently using. From the first session, he was going to adjust the weight to a more proper weight, use a hosel that would allow the putter to have less toe hang and a flange with a longer sight line. Stratton's stroke also added 1* of loft at impact. Due to this, Stratton would benefit from a 3* head opposed to the 4*that he is playing.

They began to put putter together and looked at different flanges hosels and heads. After a while, Stratton went to the wall that had some of Daves Garage putters and custom work and found a 303 Stainless M2Converter head with a wave cut tongue flange. The putter had a stubby hosel which Stratton loved, however this hosel would have as much toe hang as his SS 1.5 did. He putted with the putter and loved the look. It didnt take long for Stratton to look for the other putter that had the disco ball hosel on it and ask Dave, "what about this hosel on this head" Dave commented that it would work and with a little tweaking, he could hand bend the hosel to create the toe hang we were looking for.

In the mean time, a putter with near the same specifications was ready and Stratton could get back on the SAM to see if adjustments were going in the right direction. After session two, it was obvious that improvements were accomplished in the area that we wanted. Stratton's putter was staying square longer through the impact zone, the 3* loft brought his face loft to the desired angle at impact as well as the added weight would decrease him being "handsy" sometimes.

We took a break to grab lunch while they worked on his putter. We returned and to find that the putter was ready and Stratton was ALL SMILES when he held the putter for the first time. Stratton liked the reverse arch grips and asked for six wraps of tape to increase the grip size. He also had the sight line paint filled white.

Upon the finished putter, Stratton took the putter and drained about 10 - 10' putts in a row with it. Amazing when you feel good about something how well it works :) The putter is an absolute functional work of art.

I could not have been happier with my experience with Dave Billings and everyone at Dog Leg Right - MACHINE. When you combine a great product with great people you have a winning combination AND you create long term relationships. We also ordered a rainbow flamed nibble back flange to fit Stratton's putter if he wants a little different look. Though I thought that I knew what my next putter was..........I NOW absolutely KNOW MY next putter for myself will be a MACHINE!

Thank you Dave for your time working with Stratton. He tore us up on the course yesterday. He putted like his wand's namesake yesterday. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings a BIT had he used yesterday to be trying to "get a feel" for his new putter, instead, I still got worked by him. A friend and I have a long term match between us fathers and our sons. Rodney and I had a pulled even with Stratton and Chase going into the last hole yesterday...........only for Stratton to call his shot and drain a 10' birdie on 18 to send us home once again with a mark in the loss column on a day that I could not have played better.

Here are some more pictures of Stratton's fitting session and his putter prior to paint filling:

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

M4.jpg

M5.jpg

M6.jpg

Good luck in trying to improve that putter with your paintfill/customization skills...

That is spectacular!

Matt

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Thats awesome Breck. Unfortunetly for you, you aren't getting any younger and Stratton isn't going to get any worse. :D

Wish i wasn't so far away here in Ohio. I would love to go down to the Machine fitting studio.

Hopefully more people will soon realize how good Machine is and they can expand up North ;)

Unfortunetly for you, you aren't getting any younger and Stratton isn't going to get any worse. biggrin.gif

THAT'S THE TRUTH!!!

It is one of those bitter sweet deals......you like to see your son succeed, but at the same time...I HATE TO LOSE AT ANYTHING! Trust me, I used to toy with him to let him get close to beating me and now I think he does the same to me sometimes.....that just WRONG! :)

bcass, Dave is going to forward our session, but he may post the stats. Stratton has always disliked plumbers neck style hosels, but on the SAM, it is quite obvious be benefits from a less toe hang. This hand bent hosel was a nice compromise from a long neck style plumber neck that would probably fit is stroke well. He just does not like the look of the long neck hosel. Stratton is a very good putter. He makes every 10-15 footer he putts, but has of late had issues with 3-5 footers. Yesterday, he used the line on his ball as well as the larger line on the flange an had no such problems on some very speedy undulated greens at Flintrock Falls.

He actually can do some tweaking on this setup if he wants too. All six weight ports have the heavy tungsten weights in them right now. He could if he wishes, replace any of the weights with the steel or Ti alloy weights to get a different feel. Once again, just another reason why I knew we were doing the right thing in getting this putter. When he gets the other nibble back flange, with the weights, the flange, it is like having more than one putter. Great concept and technology.

Did Stratton try the modular center shaft? I think I like the hand bent as well, allows you to see more of the putter head at address, which looks very nice in the photos. I really like what Dave is doing with the high-tech clean lines on the machine tooling and his art and sculpture background that complement the finished product.

Brad

Breck,

The pleasure was all ours in meeting and working with you and your son Stratton. I am very honored too that you and Stratton chose MACHINE for your new putters. I am also really humbled by your review, and all your kind words.

I was pleased to see the immediate and very noticeable improvements in Stratton's before and after SAM tests, and it was very gratifying to see how excited he was to use his new custom fit putter. As I said in my email, the credit goes to you both for your enthusiasm and dedication to the game.

I look forward to hearing more stories like the one above as Stratton continues to approach the game with passion and drive, both of which I know he learned from you.

Thanks again for making the drive, and for all of your time, your friendship and support.

Very sincerely,

-Dave

Well, Stratton's MACHINE is less than a week old and he broke her in today. This was the first middle school tournament of the year here in Austin with 8 schools playing in the tournament. Stratton shot a round of even par and led his team to a decisive team win and Stratton won the tournament medalist honors as well. Not a bad way to break the new wand in! Thanks Dave and MACHINE!

Mach1.jpg

Mach2.jpg

Breck...you have my vote for the coolest dad ever !

That's a very cool putter congrats :)

Jimmy

You know Jimmy, I don't like to brag, but my five year old just got a set of PING S57s, some tour-issued CG-14s, has a custom putter on order, and will probably be getting another Bettinardi buckle soon. :tongue:

Seriously awesome thread, Deerslayer. I remember reading earlier how much work you make the kid do, so it's cool to know that all this isn't just standard spoiling and all that. Helluva putter you got him outfitted for. The level of craftmanship and customization that Mr. Billings provides is crazy--as is that putter (in a good way). It'll be interesting to see what you do to it in the future in terms of your regular twist. :good:

edit: and apparently this thread was only a 1-star effort to someone who may feel like they should be spoiled more. :fool:

:hi:

This putter is 32" and it is not bent flat. His irons ARE 3* flat and -1.25", but with this putter length it was not necessary to bend it flat.

LOL Buero! five? Good thing Stratton didn't get REALLY into golf until a couple of years ago when he turned 11, although we spent almost as much on baseball then too. People who meet and know Stratton absolutely realize that he is no spoiled brat. He does have good equipment, but he works hard and does all I ask of him. I will continue to do the same for him.

Wow.....up to 3 stars now.....one less hater LOL

DS, always look forward to your threads, beautiful putter and it's great to see your son doing so well. I'm taking notes, my oldest is five and probably enjoys golf as much as I do.

So is there going to be any special paintfill on the Machine? The hosel might look nice w/ a little paint.

On a side note, Beruo I'm actually shopping for a ne set for my five your old, what do you have your kid swinging?

Breck,

Very nice. Congats to Stratton. Good start for what should be a great season. It is strange how few of us get

fitted for our putters. Thank you for sharing the fitting process. Opened a few eyes I'm sure.

Thanks and continued good luck,

Ed

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

It absolutely makes sense to me for unquestionably the MOST important and MOST used club in your bag, to have it properly fitted. It really is eye opening when you analyze your own putter on a system like this and see the action of your equipment with your stroke and how physical properties of a putter can change the aspects of your stroke. Yes, bottom line is YOU still have to be confident and make the putt, but the confidence in knowing what you are using is working with you and not against you is pretty important. Most every pro utilizes the SAM or a similar system and gets their equipment adjusted, so this goes beyond placebo.