Bag Set-ups...

Big-Wiesy

Hello everyone, I'm a little confused at the moment ;) Currently my bag set-up is:

Driver

4 wood

3-PW (My pitching wedge is 47*)

56*

61*

But in all I only have 13 clubs! So obviously I don't NEED 14 clubs but I thought it could maybe help me out in one way or another. So my question is what do my fellow golfwrx's feel I should get??

Both my 56* and 61* need replacing so I was thinking about getting a gap wedge in at 53* or something??? So it would go 47, 53, 56, 60. What are your thoughts? Or I could get a 2iron/hybrid but I dont think I would use it enough therefore a waste of valuable money.

So please help me! :busted_cop:

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO you should get a 2 iron/hybrid because they are great clubs to have in your bag if your 3 wood isnt working or you just need to hit the fairway of they tee.

With the wedges if you have good touch around the greens you should be able to play a 54 or 55 degree sandwedge with your 60 degree lob wedge and be able to get up and down from anywhere on a golf course.

honestly, a hybrid over another wedge is not in all a good idea. I think an ideal way to expand both ends is to replace your 3 iron with the same lofted hybrid, so you can get a little more distance to close the gap between 4 wood and 4 iron, then get a gap wedge. I also have a 47* pitching wedge and I find the 52, 56, 60 works just fine

I am currently replacing my most of my clubs and I too use the Nike Pro Combo (3-PW) irons.

Big Bertha Ti 454 driver

Nike Pro Combo (3-PW at 47*)

Nike Forged wedges; 53*(9) and 58*(14)

Aserta Cavity-back putter (experimenting here) or my old vintage Bullseye

Using the old clubs to fill in the gaps, the old 3 and 5 woods are in the bag, but I plan to add a new 3 wood and 16 or 19-20* hybird. I'm thinking Callaway on these but the Heavenwood 3H hybrid felt very light to me. May do the Nickent 3DX. The course I usually play is frought with large trees, so the hybrid is not to replace my 3 iron...love that club too much...but rather to give me a "trick" club to hit balls under branches and out of poor lies in the rough.

The new wedges have been great and I did not want to carry more than three.

Hello everyone, I'm a little confused at the moment  ;)  Currently my bag set-up is:

Driver

4 wood

56*

61*

But in all I only have 13 clubs! So obviously I don't NEED 14 clubs but I thought it could maybe help me out in one way or another. So my question is what do my fellow golfwrx's feel I should get??

Both my 56* and 61* need replacing so I was thinking about getting a gap wedge in at 53* or something??? So it would go 47, 53, 56, 60. What are your thoughts? Or I could get a 2iron/hybrid but I dont think I would use it enough therefore a waste of valuable money.

Thanks.

11644[/snapback]

The way is ee it, you need a 51* gap wedge.!!

Joe

Thanks for all your replies so far guys! I'm thinking along the gap wedge route simply because I feel I could benefit more from it and lower my scores.

Now another problem (sorry), I wanted to replace my wedges with all the same ones so I could have to same feel and look through out my whole set and I really want the Nike Forged Unchromed versions. But on the spec sheets it says they only some in 53,56,60. But the new Spin Velocity (SV) come in 52,56,60.

So what do you guys think about my Pro Combo PW at 47, SV at 52, then Unchromed at 56 and 60 so my gaps are more even.

Thanks for any responses :busted_cop:

Hello everyone, I'm a little confused at the moment  ;)  Currently my bag set-up is:

Driver

4 wood

56*

61*

Thanks.

11644[/snapback]

The way is ee it, you need a 51* gap wedge.!!

Joe

11740[/snapback]

Yep... I'm with Joe on this one! I'd say a hybrid but if you don't think that you will use it then get a 50/51* to cover off that gap

I've played both the Nike 52* SV wedge and the Nike 53* Unchr. Forged wedges and did not feel or see much difference, except for the finish. And I bought the 53* forged wedge to match my 58*/14*. Just after that, Nike released the new Tiger Woods wedge line which is styled to appear just like the Pro Combo irons, albeit with the TW logo. Nice clubs at a high price. Bending the Nike 53* a degree or two would be relatively easy, as they are forged, and since the bounce is only 9*, it should not add much. This could be ground also.

IMO these are great wedges with a great match to the irons. This is said with some reservation regarding the DG S400 shafts. I think the shafts may be a bit heavy.

I currently play something different but this is what I am building my set to by next month. The ones that have the asterisk are already there.

Driver 8.5 loft * 580XD Tour

4 wood 16 loft (looking for SIII Tour Issue)

7 wood 20 loft* Steelhead III Tour Issue

Fli hi 21* (to be bent to 23), built to 4iron length TX Tour

5-PW* X Blades TX Tour (to be bent 2 degrees weak)

54*/60* Gat 95 Callaway Forged + Tour Issue (great grind and slightly wider sole) getting trimmed to 35.5"

Putter

I've thought this out pretty well and this seems to be what will fit my game. It might not look good in the bag but I'm betting it will perform. I hit driver most of the time and score well with blades up to the 5i skipping directly to a driving iron and fws because anything more than a 5i means I'm at least 195 away. The fairway woods and driving iron gives me better consistency than CBs that far away.

Thanks guys. Im thinking about this set up at the moment. OF course I won't be able to get all the clubs at once because of tight $$$ but I'm just planning ahead lol.

Driver: Titleist 905T 9.5

Fway: TaylorMade r7 13* or 15*, I'm leaning towards 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade 19* Rescue Dual

Irons: Nike Pro Combo 3, 5-PW.

Wedges: Nike Raw 53*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey Rossie 2 or Scotty Newport TeI3.

So the changes would be getting possibly the 13* r7 so I can use it and a 3 wood but also off the tee as a mini driver sort of thing. Get a Rescue Dual and take out my 4 iron. So I close the gap between the 13* and 3 iron. I wan't to pull my 4 iron out because I haven't hit it once in my last 7 rounds and I hardly ever use it so I could take it out for the Hybrid. Then put in the wedges. Anybody have thoughts on that??? It could be really stupid or could turn out awesome. Thanks.

Thanks guys. Im thinking about this set up at the moment. OF course I won't be able to get all the clubs at once because of tight $$$ but I'm just planning ahead lol.

Driver: Titleist 905T 9.5

Fway: TaylorMade r7 13* or 15*, I'm leaning towards 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade 19* Rescue Dual

Irons: Nike Pro Combo 3, 5-PW.

Wedges: Nike Raw 53*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Odyssey Rossie 2 or Scotty Newport TeI3.

So the changes would be getting possibly the 13* r7 so I can use it and a 3 wood but also off the tee as a mini driver sort of thing. Get a Rescue Dual and take out my 4 iron. So I close the gap between the 13* and 3 iron. I wan't to pull my 4 iron out because I haven't hit it once in my last 7 rounds and I hardly ever use it so I could take it out for the Hybrid. Then put in the wedges. Anybody have thoughts on that??? It could be really stupid or could turn out awesome. Thanks.

12766[/snapback]

Pulling out your 4i might be a good idea. IIRC Furyk doesn't carry a 4i but has his 3i adjusted a degree or two weaker. Jim has been playing well as of late. Just make sure you can hit your hybrid shorter if you want. My recommendation is decide at which point accuracy is more important for you than distance and start your scoring clubs (irons from there). For me anything from 180yards I actually start to think about par or better. That is my normal 5iron. Every club I carry above that is just to make sure I get enough distance/forgiveness to get somewhere near the green.

The big thing in carrying extra wedges is making sure they suit your game and course conditions. I can execute most shots 120 yards in with PW/GW/weak SW. There was a time I was struggling with my short game and actually had PW/53/58/62 in the bag. If you have short game troubles then go with extra wedges more important geting up and down than anything else.

I would shoot for the 15-17* wood if I were you instead of the 13*. Obviously you play a 17* fw now, why do you need the 13*? Do you need that much distance advantage on a long par 5 when you play your course(s)? Even if you get an extra 10-15 yards is that going to help compared to your 17* being 15-20 yards short, probably not in a bunker or in trouble right or left? Leave yourself an easy chip if you can't reach the green or club down and go with a 4 iron that way you can be 75-100 yards out and get a good swing on it.

You are taking care of the huge gap in your wedge yardages with the 4 wedge system you've got so that isn't a problem.

Good luck,

mike

I am getting 3 Nike Unchromed wedges in a little bit so then I will have my four wedges so I think thats basically right.

But I still think I need a 15* 3 wood, My Titleist 980F 17* just goes WAY up in the air. I know you need to be able to get height from your shots but this is ridiculous how high this can go. So I'm thinking about an r7 15* around Christmas time.

I have no trouble getting my 3-4 irons in the air and hitting them straight, so they can stay for now. I might look into a hybrid later on when I get more money saved up.

I am getting 3 Nike Unchromed wedges in a little bit so then I will have my four wedges so I think thats basically right.

But I still think I need a 15* 3 wood, My Titleist 980F 17* just goes WAY up in the air. I know you need to be able to get height from your shots but this is ridiculous how high this can go. So I'm thinking about an r7 15* around Christmas time.

I have no trouble getting my 3-4 irons in the air and hitting them straight, so they can stay for now. I might look into a hybrid later on when I get more money saved up.

14321[/snapback]

If you want to save money, why don't you get a 980F Stong 15. You may have to play around with shafts and lead tape, but once its fixed I think you may like it. I have one and its great.

I like the 980 series but I personally think there are better fairway woods out there now. The Nike T60, V-Steel, 904F and the r7 are ones I all like so far aso I think I would go for something i liked more. And also around my place there are no places to try shafts or even buy shafts I would have to drive about 4 hours to get somewhere where they only MIGHT have some decent shafts.