C&L vs. Byron Morgan

scottycameron_freak19

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the classic Ford VS. Chevy debate.

You'll have guys and gals on both sides of the fence and not a dishonest opinion in the bunch.

Me? I have to go with Byron Morgan, as my Ford. He has been in the putter business for 20+ years and puts his heart and soul into every putter that leaves his shop. He has crafted no less than 5 custom putters for me, over the years, as well as my sole hand-made that still works into the rotation, from time to time. There isn't a putter that leaves his shop that he hasn't touched.

Can some of this same thing be said for C&L? I believe so, but I'll leave that for the guys who choose C&L as their choice.

Mark this as one vote for Byron.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

The C&L is a nice cnc anser head shape, but the DH89 is a Masterful anser head shape.

ย 

On the Byron DH89 look at:

โ€ข The neck bevel

โ€ข Heel transition

โ€ข Bumper hand finishing on the outside edges

โ€ข The detail in the cavity shape

โ€ข How the sole has a very subtle 3 plane design (not as much as the 006 & 007, but it's there)

โ€ข 006, 007, DH89

โ€ข Much better headcover options!

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

You'll have guys and gals on both sides of the fence and not a dishonest opinion in the bunch.

Me? I have to go with Byron Morgan, as my Ford. He has been in the putter business for 20+ years and puts his heart and soul into every putter that leaves his shop. He has crafted no less than 5 custom putters for me, over the years, as well as my sole hand-made that still works into the rotation, from time to time. There isn't a putter that leaves his shop that he hasn't touched.

Can some of this same thing be said for C&L? I believe so, but I'll leave that for the guys who choose C&L as their choice.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

ย 

Don't you mean BMW vs. Mercedes? I wouldn't buy either a Ford or a Chevy.

gotta go with the C&L. I know know Chip and Lee personally and while that may make me a bit biased you will not be disappointed with the customer service or the product. You can have the putter built exactly how you want it, and its a great putter. NO knock on byron at all but thats just not where i choose to spend my money. Stock shafts are Nippon NS PRO putter shafts and IOMIC grips are also standard. Round it off with an AM&E HC and its quality all around. I've bought 3 and may find my way into another this year.

ย 

Cheers

Scott

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22ย  Steelfiber 110 X-cwย 
Srixon 585ย  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
ย Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

ย 

... he says sipping some tea with his pinky in the air... :D

I dont think either is better as most have said.

ย 

Byron:

+many many head sizes and styles to chose and a quality putter

ย 

C&L:

+the model shape/styles they do have are comparable quality IMO to byron and have unlimited stamping areas

ย 

Negatives? Byrons in the models i like are $6-650 or so. The chip and lee is roughly $300

ย 

So if limited choices do not fit your desires for head style at chip and lee then a byron is the only choice other than a betti.

If the styles chip and lee have fit your bill, you could get two quality crafted putters for the price of one byron.

In this day and age of economy, money, jobs etc, i have to lean with the 2-4-1...but must also admit..i cannot order one until their newport 2 style in the works comes out. Only byron has right now the style i love.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

ย 

... he says sipping some tea with his pinky in the air... :D

ย 

You got me there. :lol: Actually it's C&L for me since byron doesn't offer the 007 in lefty. Kinda like BMW for me since I don't find stickshift in Mercedes.

Negatives? Byrons in the models i like are $6-650 or so. The chip and lee is roughly $300

ย 

ย 

Which models of the Byron`s are you talking about?

007`s start at $300.00

006`s start at $300.00

007x start at $375.00

008x are $425.00

007 coppers were $500.00

Designed By captain morgan $400.00

DH-89`s are around $500.00

DH-89 x`s start at $600.00

ย 

I missed a couple

Channel Island is $450.00

And M-65-18 is $450.00

ย 

ย 

Which models of the Byron`s are you talking about?

007`s start at $300.00

006`s start at $300.00

007x start at $375.00

008x are $425.00

007 coppers were $500.00

ย 

I missed a couple

And M-65-18 is $450.00

before i answer that question, can you repost all these models with equivalent final pricing comparable to c&l...instead of start at......? over and over. THe chip and lee is 300 final final. all stamps, grip choice, headcover, etc etc. All yours say start...that is somewhat vague...take the options you get with 350 milled included in price and are those above with all those choices included?

ย 

ps i was just looking at a fave of mine the dh89, you say around $500 above, the order form says $525? no sight line, does it cost more to add a sight line? It says no stamping on the mystics? Does that mean you are limited or even not allowed to stamp there? Is stamping more or you cannot even do it? It says no sound slot, can you add that, is it more$

What are the Byron A.S.S. models? Is that American Stainless Steel? Are they more expensive than the other putters (006 and 007)? I also am trying to decide between these 2 putters and I was leaning towards Byron but this pricing issue has me wondering whether or not C & L would be they way to go. Thank you to all who have chimed in on this question.

We have the 006 ,007 and DH-89 in stainless. The cost of a Byron 006 or 007 a** stamped ,gripped and shipped is $325.00. Gripmasters cost $30.00 extra and Iomics are$10.00

We use the same shaft as Cameron a YSC True Temper stepped shaft and we offer many different models of AM&E headcovers.

ย 

Our prices are very fair

byron morgan all the way.

ย 

where else can you actually TEST a boutique putter brand before purchasing one?

ย 

i love being able to get tour quality putters for under $500 (with the exception of the DH89, of course). i love the 006 and 007 models. not to mention, you can get some awesome finishes on your putters-- i have an 007 with black rainbow (exactly the same as the Cameron black pearl finish except it lasts longer).

As most have stated, I think you are splitting hairs between these two. I have bought both a C&L (for my wife) and two Byron's for myself (one carbon, one @ss). With that being said, many variables could help you come to your own conclusions. But here is how I would break it down:

ย 

Feel- even--- The C&L may be a little softer, but I believe that is only because of the deeper face milling. The Byron is still soft. I do love the fluted shaft in my Byron. It feels to almost have a kick point, which I like.

ย 

Looks- Byron--- I like the fact there are more than Anser type heads and I love the twilight face milling.

ย 

Finishes- even--- My Byron Channel Island Black Ox is beautiful, but so is my wifes Dark oil finish. For the record, if Byron still offered the Goldstar, that would tip the scales in his favor.

ย 

Stamps- C&L--- This is not a knock on Byron, but what Chip and Lee offer on custom stamping is unbelievable. I will say Byron Captain Morgan skull and bones are SICK!

ย 

Headcovers- Byron--- Less colors to choose from, but more designs. Love the Capt. Morgans and the Toes covers.

ย 

Customer service- even---- both are top notch.

ย 

Price/value- even---- again, for the most part, similar price points. Some Byrons can run more, such as my Channel Island, but you have to understand that those putters require A LOT of hand finishing. The work Byron puts into a putter (such as a channel island or Dale Head 89 would cost $2000 or more from a Scotty Cameron.

ย 

Lets see; 4 evens, 2 Byrons, 1 C&L (but one Byron was on a headcover). Like I said... splitting hairs.

Not for nothing, but this is a comparison of apples to oranges. Byron Morgan is a putter maker who designs putters. C&L stamps putters. Both put out a good product, to be sure, but Byron's been in the game for a long while and knows what it means to design a putter. Plus, I don't need to have my putter stamped every which way to Sunday to call it my own. ;)

ย 

So yeah, Byron for me. :good:

:hi:

As most have stated, I think you are splitting hairs between these two. I have bought both a C&L (for my wife) and two Byron's for myself (one carbon, one @ss). With that being said, many variables could help you come to your own conclusions. But here is how I would break it down:

ย 

Feel- even--- The C&L may be a little softer, but I believe that is only because of the deeper face milling. The Byron is still soft. I do love the fluted shaft in my Byron. It feels to almost have a kick point, which I like.

ย 

Looks- Byron--- I like the fact there are more than Anser type heads and I love the twilight face milling.

ย 

Finishes- even--- My Byron Channel Island Black Ox is beautiful, but so is my wifes Dark oil finish. For the record, if Byron still offered the Goldstar, that would tip the scales in his favor.

ย 

Stamps- C&L--- This is not a knock on Byron, but what Chip and Lee offer on custom stamping is unbelievable. I will say Byron Captain Morgan skull and bones are SICK!

ย 

Headcovers- Byron--- Less colors to choose from, but more designs. Love the Capt. Morgans and the Toes covers.

ย 

ย 

Price/value- even---- again, for the most part, similar price points. Some Byrons can run more, such as my Channel Island, but you have to understand that those putters require A LOT of hand finishing. The work Byron puts into a putter (such as a channel island or Dale Head 89 would cost $2000 or more from a Scotty Cameron.

ย 

Lets see; 4 evens, 2 Byrons, 1 C&L (but one Byron was on a headcover). Like I said... splitting hairs.

ย 

I agree with most of what you have up here, except the service...C&L is better, in my experience Byron not at the same level(maybe just my experience though).

I have been a fan of Byron Morgan since the John Byron days. I feel like I have made the "journey" with him since those old days to the current day. A true gentlemen and a person I would not hesitate for a moment to build me another custom putter. No matter what the price he wanted, it would be a very worthy expense for his art. He really puts his heart and soul in his work and is truly one of the great ones in the business.

I did not read through all of this topic, and I'm sorry if this was missed already, but...there have been several other topics on here regarding the same issue. You may find some very helpful information from those threads as well if you happen to do a search. In fact, I started a topics probably over a year ago in regards to the 2 companies.

ย 

If money was no option, I'd order a Byron 006 in black oxide. Style wise, it suites my eye much better than any of the other options. I love the looks of the C&L oil can better than any of the other options available though. I have not had the opportunity to roll a C&L unfortunately so I cannot comment on feel, but I have had 2 Byrons that I'll agree are excellent in the feel department.

Driver:ย Ping G30
3-Wood:ย Ping G30
Hybrid:ย Adams Idea Pro
Irons:ย Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges:ย Scratch 1018
Putter:ย Scotty Cameron Red X5

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

I agree with most of what you have up here, except the service...C&L is better, in my experience Byron not at the same level(maybe just my experience though).

ย 

I have to +1 that. The service is second to none. Also on the price. C&L CL-1s stamped with the iomic grip and upgraded shaft (for what its worth) is sub $300 delivered, in most finishes. Sightlines included, I think beached heads are the same, and with custom stamps. For under 3 bills for a SOLID machined putter is unheard of.

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1โ€
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GTย 33.5โ€ short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

i was with you til the end....but then you put in...price even? huh? i can get a fully stamped, with iomic etc for under $300? How can you even say even on price with a straight face? If you look at my first post i did not put down byron for quality or variety of models, i did say the price is way more. There lowest ones start out above the chip and lee and go up from there. anywhere from $25-325 more.

ย 

zman quote:

007`s start at $300.00

006`s start at $300.00

007x start at $375.00

008x are $425.00

007 coppers were $500.00

ย 

I missed a couple

And M-65-18 is $450.00

Not for nothing, but this is a comparison of apples to oranges. Byron Morgan is a putter maker who designs putters. C&L stamps putters. Both put out a good product, to be sure, but Byron's been in the game for a long while and knows what it means to design a putter. Plus, I don't need to have my putter stamped every which way to Sunday to call it my own. ;)

ย 

So yeah, Byron for me. :good:

ย 

C&L's website says "Handstamped Putter". I am not too familiar with C&L, but did Chip/Lee design current line of putters?

ย 

If they did not or only partially modified a existing model/generic head, then definitely go with Byron for originality as anyone can stamp a putter. In this case you are paying a little extra for originality/design/extra work put into the putter (not necessarily time spent on stamping/personalizing the putter).

ย 

If C&L did design the heads from scratch, then you've got some choices to make. If you like personalized putter (ie stampings), go with C&L. If you like simply stampings and/or desire different headshapes, go with Byron.

ย 

Both companies seem to offer similar quality products.