the best golf ball??

esinger430

stuck on tourstage golf balls from japan. cannot seem to spin anything like them. have tried titleist, nike, bridgestone,etc. why cant someone produce a golf ball in the USA that compares to the tourstage. at $65 per dozen and chikara wedges, my season cost is quite high. help me rhonda, help me rhonda. anybody have a ball that compares to the tourstage at a decent price please?? :man_in_love:

WITB(THIS WEEK)

HONMA 50TH ANN DRIVER

FOURTEEN SF308 3 WOOD

FOURTEEN 19 DEGREE RESCUE

TOURSTAGE X BLADE GR 4-PW

CHIKARA 50 DEGREE-BASSARA REG

CHIKARA 54 DEGREE-BASSARA REG

CHIKARA 58 DEGREE-BASSARA REG

GOLDS FACTORY #2 PUTTER

TOURSTAGE XO1R4 BALL

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, the X-01's are ~ 50 US$ here in Bangkok..... the very latest (replacement) version is still a bit more.

It seems like the new Bridgestone B330 versions are the X-01's rebadged - i just tried the X-01G4 for a change (from the usual R4) and liked it, not too much softer and certainly more spin on chips etc. Try the latest Bridgestone B330-S version if i were you.... should be a decent price?

Coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

Hmmm, the X-01's are ~ 50 US$ here in Bangkok..... the very latest (replacement) version is still a bit more.

It seems like the new Bridgestone B330 versions are the X-01's rebadged - i just tried the X-01G4 for a change (from the usual R4) and liked it, not too much softer and certainly more spin on chips etc. Try the latest Bridgestone B330-S version if i were you.... should be a decent price?

Coops

thanks but i did mean the new x o1r+. will try the new bridgestone b330s though. it is a four piece ball also thanks much.

New Srixon Z-Star is superb, as is Bridgestone RX. Sorry not overly glamorous but along with Titleist, Nike and Callaway these are the best balls. Tour-stage is just a boutique brand and Mizuno, PRGR etc are wasting their time.

thanks for input but tourstage is far from a boutique ball. it is the best selling golfball in asia. therefore, anything said after that is just an opinion which we are all entitled to. bridestone rx is for average swing speeds and does not have same short iron spin as the tour b330 and 330s(read characteristics on back of box). prgr is also an excellent ball but too expensive to play in the USA. that was the whole point of starting this conversation to find a comperable ball to the tourstage rx or gx brands.

witb

honma 50th ann driver

fourteen sf306 3 wood

fourteen 19 degree rescue

tourstage xblade gr 4-p

chikara 50 proto typle(bassara shaft)

chikara 54 proto type(bassara shaft)

chikara 58 proto type(bassara shaft)

I would have thought Srixon was easily the biggest ball maker in Asia? It is making huge inroads in the UK and Europe. Last insider stats I saw said the AD333 and Softfeel were 2 and 3 best selling balls globally.

I have tried Tourstage ammo about 5 years ago and the ball was merely a rebadged Bridgestone. Have some V10s and they are garbage. If they were the best ball more top class golfers would use them.

Their irons and wedges are superb but there isn't a ball out there that is superior to the opposition in any way or form. The modern design and manufacturing means the only discernible difference in a top end ball is feel. From the brick like B330 down to the new Srixon Z-Star.

I would have thought Srixon was easily the biggest ball maker in Asia? It is making huge inroads in the UK and Europe. Last insider stats I saw said the AD333 and Softfeel were 2 and 3 best selling balls globally.

I have tried Tourstage ammo about 5 years ago and the ball was merely a rebadged Bridgestone. Have some V10s and they are garbage. If they were the best ball more top class golfers would use them.

Their irons and wedges are superb but there isn't a ball out there that is superior to the opposition in any way or form. The modern design and manufacturing means the only discernible difference in a top end ball is feel. From the brick like B330 down to the new Srixon Z-Star.

cant disagree there but they still spin the best for me. i was not impressed with the v10 either but the x and series spin the best. will try srixon which one do u suggest??

v10s are distance balls.

The Japanese have premium distance balls. These are usually the ones with really soft cores for added oomph.

It is just a marketing niche that is well served. A premium name on a probably mid-level ball in terms of performance/spin, that iw hy the premium price.

I have the R+ and the G+ but only 1 sleeve each for about 2 months now, but I haven't tried them out yet. I still have a few G4s and R4s. I do prefer Srixon "Z"s over the Tourstage balls.

Good lord man......

Tourstage is the original golf brand of Bridgestone.... in Asia Bridgestone have developed an extremely well respected and played (by asian pros and hacks like me ;-) ) - in a remarkably dumb move they apparently decided to try and create yet another 'brand' in the US - ie a the golf 'Bridgestone' brand... rather than simply use the Tourstage name. Why? Who knows, they could have introduced it by saying something like "Tourstage by Bridgestone" just to let the US guys know who's behind it.....

Instead you get Bridgestone balls which are the last generation of Tourstage - the 'new' 4 piece B330's are the old Tourstage X-01 R4 and G4. And you miss out an excellent range of irons from blade thru forged cavity back to undercut forged cavity back, with excellent drivers to match.

Go to tourspecgolf.com and see for yourself.....

Coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

Good lord man......

Tourstage is the original golf brand of Bridgestone.... in Asia Bridgestone have developed an extremely well respected and played (by asian pros and hacks like me ;-) ) - in a remarkably dumb move they apparently decided to try and create yet another 'brand' in the US - ie a the golf 'Bridgestone' brand... rather than simply use the Tourstage name. Why? Who knows, they could have introduced it by saying something like "Tourstage by Bridgestone" just to let the US guys know who's behind it.....

Instead you get Bridgestone balls which are the last generation of Tourstage - the 'new' 4 piece B330's are the old Tourstage X-01 R4 and G4. And you miss out an excellent range of irons from blade thru forged cavity back to undercut forged cavity back, with excellent drivers to match.

Go to tourspecgolf.com and see for yourself.....

Coops

good lord coops i agree with u!!! check what's in my bag dohhhhhh. u will find the tourstage x blade gr irons. however, the balls are a little to expensive to shread using chikara wedges. so i have to change something and it will not be my wedges. therefore, need to change balls for time being.

The reason why it is Bridgestone for the US market and Tourstage for Japan is again marketing and market protection.

Japanese golfers don't mind paying a premium for a ceratin product. $60/doz balls are an example. The US buyers are more value conscious. If the Tourstage brand was brought as a brand to the US they would have to lower price point to survive. This will have ripple effects to the Japan/Asia market and the prices of those would have to go down as well.

This happened in the Tourstage Z101 irons. The ones with NS Pros which were Japan models didn't move because the US models which had DGs were $180-200 cheaper. DG to NS Pro is not = $180.

To further protect the Tourstage brand the technology is kept in the Tourstage brand for at least one product cycle before it goes to Bridgestone, so even the keen buyers like those on the golf forums :), have to pay a premium if they want that technology as soon as it comes out.

good lord coops i agree with u!!! check what's in my bag dohhhhhh. u will find the tourstage x blade gr irons. however, the balls are a little to expensive to shread using chikara wedges. so i have to change something and it will not be my wedges. therefore, need to change balls for time being.

:black eye: Don't usually pay any attention to those witb/signature thingies.... i hear those chikara's are nice tho'.... are the irons the non-undercut ones? Nice those..... just made the mistake of swinging a demo Epon 301 while getting my putter regripped, and was lost from then on.....

In thailand the ProV1's are about 60 to 65 $/doz, whereas the B330's are 44$ and the 4 piece X-01's R4/G4 where 50$ (the newest X-01's are only slightly less than Prov1's still.....)........ now we have the 'new' B330's and the old X-01's still on sale, both at the same price... which is perhaps as exepected.

And yes, even more expensive than ProV1's are V10 and other weird Tourstage balls ..... never tried them, seem to be aimed at some other market - haven't seen any Honma balls, so they'll fit that niche.

Coops

You are saying that the US and non Asian market get last year's Japanese cast offs? Where is the largest Golf market, err the USA.

I recall REXTAR balls in the early 80s, very expensive and awfully soft, these were the original Bstone brand. Spun like mad but cut to pieces, even before square grooves.

The Tourstage and Bridgestones will come off the same lines, in the same factory, made from the same raw materials.

Best Japanese ball I ever used was the Kasco RR. Bought them in 2000 and at that time were a match for anything.

I will quote an old Pringle Knitwear rep from the 1980s "USA wants Tartan, UK wants Stars and Stripes, Japan wants Mickey Mouse on their sweaters". All products were made on same looms, just different designs and hues. Same with clubs. I have played low hcp Golf for 20 years and owned Mizuno, Maruman, Bridgestone, Cobra, Staff, Hogan, Slazenger, Ben Sayers and Founders forgings. For durability and looks the Founders FB200 were the sweetest. Cobras had the best feel. Staffs were most workable. The Marumans were most admired but sods to hit until you got to the 6 iron. Bridgestones were unplayable, C.O.G. was just under the grip!

There is no way the US and European Tour players would accept a Jaoanese or Asian Pro getting superior equipment.

You are saying that the US and non Asian market get last year's Japanese cast offs? Where is the largest Golf market, err the USA.

I recall REXTAR balls in the early 80s, very expensive and awfully soft, these were the original Bstone brand. Spun like mad but cut to pieces, even before square grooves.

The Tourstage and Bridgestones will come off the same lines, in the same factory, made from the same raw materials.

Best Japanese ball I ever used was the Kasco RR. Bought them in 2000 and at that time were a match for anything.

I will quote an old Pringle Knitwear rep from the 1980s "USA wants Tartan, UK wants Stars and Stripes, Japan wants Mickey Mouse on their sweaters". All products were made on same looms, just different designs and hues. Same with clubs. I have played low hcp Golf for 20 years and owned Mizuno, Maruman, Bridgestone, Cobra, Staff, Hogan, Slazenger, Ben Sayers and Founders forgings. For durability and looks the Founders FB200 were the sweetest. Cobras had the best feel. Staffs were most workable. The Marumans were most admired but sods to hit until you got to the 6 iron. Bridgestones were unplayable, C.O.G. was just under the grip!

There is no way the US and European Tour players would accept a Jaoanese or Asian Pro getting superior equipment.

It is not about superior equipment. It is just getting them a little earlier. The pros equipment is tweaked to get the max out of them anyway whether they are paid to use a Tourstage set made in japan or a Nickent set sold in the US.

When were the 4 piece Bridgestone balls released, when were the Tourstage 4 piece balls released?

When were the J33s combos released, when were the X Blade irons that looked like the mid iorns in the J33 Combos released?

Yes American made golf products were pretty good in the 80's/early 90's. What American made products are there now outside of Ping irons?

The US may be the largest market but will the US buyer be willing to pay for $1,100 set of irons? The Japanese are. Maybe TS would rather sell their 1,500 sets of irons at $1,100 and make $500 per set, than sell 4,000 pieces and make only $200 per set because there is less varaiables in selling 1,500 sets in a market that has shown they are willing to pay for them.

They are not "cast-offs", they are still terrific pieces of golf equipment.

After the Z Star you need to try the Cally Tour i. That ball will for sure hold up to your precious wedges. Tour i is a bad a** ball.

your comment about "precious wedges" is either stupid or just an ignorant remark intended to draw fire from an otherwise great site. if u have nothing of value to add then do us all who read this a favor and "shut up".

take whatever garbage u play and have fun. maybe pocket pool would be a better sport for u to enjoy.

• 2 months later...