Mizuno Mp001 400cc/460CC Drivers Very Under rated!

giogolf

Hey All,

I picked up a Mizuno MP001 400CC 9* driver with an EI70II Stiff shaft, at D4 SW. The driver was $40 how could I go wrong, with what I thought was going to be a back up driver.

Well I took it out to the course and this thing is great. Very nice look at address, and long. I do not know if it was the shaft or the head, but it is 10 yards longer than my R540XD. I was carrying it 285 yards, and every once in a while giddy-up on one to go 295 yards.

So I do not know what to, stick with this one or look for the 460CC with the same shaft.

Any users out there? Postive and Negative feedback wanted.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally haven't tried them, but a friend has the 400cc and he loves it - they look awesome too.

One of the trainee pro's here (No.1 ranked trainee in Queensland I believe) uses Mizuno gear, and they apparently gave him the new MX 500. He flicked it almost straight away to go back to the MP001.

Very solid club, and at $40 you've struck gold I'd say.

TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 9* Even Flow Blue 60X
Taylor Made Sim 2 Ti 15* Tensei 80 S
Srixon ZX Utility 3 Diamana Thump X

Srixon ZX5 4-7 Nippon NS Pro 120X

Srixon ZX7 8-A Nippon NS Pro 120X

Mizuno T22 56, 60 KBS C-Taper 120S
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red

I personally haven't tried them, but a friend has the 400cc and he loves it - they look awesome too.

One of the trainee pro's here (No.1 ranked trainee in Queensland I believe) uses Mizuno gear, and they apparently gave him the new MX 500. He flicked it almost straight away to go back to the MP001.

Very solid club, and at $40 you've struck gold I'd say.

I have played a 400cc MP-001 for a while now and it's a very solid driver. I bought the new MX-500 last fall and after extensive testing sold it on ebay. In my opinion, the MP-001 is the better driver.

i find they have a fade tendancy. i really struggled to hit it straight. the finish of the head is beautiful though, just a shame they don't set up square.

I know the 400CC is 1*/.5* open, and that is why it sets up to my eye very good. The 460CC is straigth to .5* closed but still sets up better than most 460CC drivers that I have tried.

The MX500 is a closed driver, and has draw bias, I think that is why we are not hearing good things from users or testers.

I just ebay/scored a 400/10/reg OEM shaft...for $55 shipped!

Look forward to testdriving this pup...

If it doesn't unseat my current starter (TM510tour) than I may

pull the shaft (read good things about IT) and try it in my current backup, a TM510-TP...

Will report...

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

I agree these drivers are underrated. I tried a bunch of drivers and this beat out alot of drivers to stay in the bag. I swapped the stock shaft for a UST V2. The 460cc seems to set up very square to my eye and is very very lng. Only complaint is that the paint has a tiny crack in it where the composite meets the ti.

I think my driver search is over. Given how cheap they can be found they have to be the best bargain in drivers right now

i had the 370cc and was a great driver now that i look back at it but with my "anger problems" i smashed the toe into the cart path but i found out why it felt and sounded like a persimon driver it had like a half inch of a glue or some gooey stuff at the bottom of the club..... ever since i broke it i regret doing it and now looking at this post it makes me want to get one

have a 10.5* 460 mp-001. IT is a beast. My best simulator numbers by a good 3-5 mph were witht his club.Only got 1-2 rounds out of it in November when season was absically done so cant really comment on course play, but given the time of yer and the state of my swing at the time I hit some huge bombes and it was much more forgiving than my wife!

Just got back from the range...the MP-001 400cc/10°/reg.Exsar shaft is a keeper!

TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

If anybody wants to try one, I have an extra for sale. (I currently own 3 Mp-001's) These are definitely some of the most underrated drivers out there. Very long and very forgiving. One thing that I found about these drivers..they have a great trajectory and super hot face. I have hit the longest drives of my life with these drivers and I've used the R5, R7, Ignite, and Callaway 454.

The one I have for sale is a 400cc 9 degree. Mint condition. Since I have 3, this one has never been to the course, only used at the range for maybe 2-3 sessions. No skymarks. Shaft is a tour van Graphite Design YS-6+. Flex is SX. 44.25" Grip is a new Winn. PM me for pics if interested. $100 shipped.

I recently picked up a 460 with Aldila NV shaft for $120. All I can say is man do I hit this thing straight! I like the fact that it doesn't have an alignment aid either. MAkes me feel like I don't have to be so precise with my alignment which eases my mind at address.

Brian

I just bought a used "excellent condition" MP-001 10.5 460 from Golfsmith for $139.00 shipped. It was described as having a stiff shaft, so I assumed I'd get one with the stock Exsar and that I would immediately re-shaft it. To my surprise and delight, it arrived in pristine condition with an Aldila NV65S. I can't wait to hit this thing outside because the 2 indoor sessions I've had were great, this combo feels incredibly solid with a straight mid-high trajectory (at least until it hit the net inside the bubble about 100 yards away :) )

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

I recently picked up a 460 with Aldila NV shaft for $120. All I can say is man do I hit this thing straight! I like the fact that it doesn't have an alignment aid either. MAkes me feel like I don't have to be so precise with my alignment which eases my mind at address.

Brian

I just bought a used "excellent condition" MP-001 10.5 460 from Golfsmith for $139.00 shipped. It was described as having a stiff shaft, so I assumed I'd get one with the stock Exsar and that I would immediately re-shaft it. To my surprise and delight, it arrived in pristine condition with an Aldila NV65S. I can't wait to hit this thing outside because the 2 indoor sessions I've had were great, this combo feels incredibly solid with a straight mid-high trajectory (at least until it hit the net inside the bubble about 100 yards away :) )

Your gonna love it! Tell me what you think of it not having an alignment aid. Nice pickup btw.

Brian

Brian

I just bought a used "excellent condition" MP-001 10.5 460 from Golfsmith for $139.00 shipped. It was described as having a stiff shaft, so I assumed I'd get one with the stock Exsar and that I would immediately re-shaft it. To my surprise and delight, it arrived in pristine condition with an Aldila NV65S. I can't wait to hit this thing outside because the 2 indoor sessions I've had were great, this combo feels incredibly solid with a straight mid-high trajectory (at least until it hit the net inside the bubble about 100 yards away :tongue: )

Your gonna love it! Tell me what you think of it not having an alignment aid. Nice pickup btw.

Brian,

I really like the look of this stick at address, the absence of an alignment aid is definitely preferable. It appears to be only slightly closed (which is fine by me) and for some reason this 460cc head does not appear to be as large as other 460's I've played (also fine by me because I used to love playing with my old Titleist 975D). It also sounds and feels more solid than the Launchers I've been playing in recent years (400, 460 & 460 Comp), if I can wield it as effectively as the Clevelands my driver musings will be over (at least for this summer :) )

Brian

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

• 4 weeks later...

Just scored a 10° in a Grafalloy Blue...just to compare to the Exsar...should be fun...

I like the MP-001 with the Exsar, a lot, but you know, ya gotta try diff. combos if they're out there...will report.

TM Spider 72M

I have a 460cc 10.5 with NV stiff. Bought it used last summer has been in the bag since. It will stay for a while. I did side by side testing on the first hole of the course I play. I took practically everyone of the new drivers out there and nothing could knock out the MP001. Some were maybe 5 yards longer but I lost control. This thing is the straightest combo I have found EVER! It's long too. I used to have atleast 1 or 2 penalty strokes with the driver every round. I can't remember the last time I had one with this one. If I had to pick one piece of equipment that really turned my game around last year I would say it was this driver. Got my handicap down to a 9 last year.

If you buy it with the right shaft for your swing I don't think this head will disappoint anyone. GREAT GREAT driver!

Clicked on to talk about the same thing, and voila a chat about the Mp 001. I also wonder why more tour players dont use this thing. Is it that there may not be any tour heads or is it a dollar issue. I picked up some mp33/30 irons for a steal just to try some Mizunos. Absolutely the best feeling irons I have ever felt. Then naturally I thought why not try the Mp001. Heck they are so cheap to buy. Fell in love with it:8.5* 460. Goes to show you that this game is alot about hype and if the pros use it, it has to be good for me..???

My Mp-001 10° 400 cc is fitted with an NV 65-R. This is my gamer.I have a BB454,Ignite 410, Titleist 975 JVS,TM 320 tour to name only a few, and the MP-001 has them all in the back seat!

HOWEVER!! some newbees being tested: 905R, Hi-bore, FT-3, and also a Launcher Comp (oldie but goldie?) :golfer:

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

i tried the 460 9.5 wit prolaunch 75x,

man, that thing was a bomber,

i was hitting it so frigging far,(this happened at last year's titleist fitting centre)

and the rep said to me after about 15balls "why are you here today?"

the vector machine said i was hitting about 285-290 average,

Launch angle of 13, ball speed of 170ish average...and of course, spin rate was also great, at 2800RPM...

too bad that the driver was my friend's uncles, so i havent had a chance to buy that thing,

but if i get a chance, ill definitely purchase one!

Got my MP-001/400/BLUE in yesterday and took it to the range...

The combo, BLUE reg. flex with the 10° loft seems VERY good for a boring traj. with plenty of height...

As for comparing it to the Exsar I can see why some people call the BLUE a board...but it's a nice board, very well balanced. It encourages the use of a strong flat right hand (palm to target) at impact as its firm character doesn't result on push-hooks...which can happen with the Exsar60...but the Exsar can be manipulated in the right hands...something I don't think I can do with the Blue...

The real test will be on the 15-18 holes when that firmness may result in weak fades to the right...we'll see...

The weird thing is that the club builder at EWatts says BLUE is stiffer than the UST Pro 65Gold...I had that in a club a few years ago and I recall it being stiffer (and too stiff by the 15th) than Blue...oh well...once again, we'll see on the course...

TM Spider 72M

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a round with the 400/10 Graf Blue, I got a 460/10.5 with the ProLaunch...MUCH better for my swing...I can really load into it...it's a keeper...

I still like the 400/10 with the Exsar60 but it's the starting driver in my friend's bag...and he loves it...

TM Spider 72M