Cleveland Hi-Bore

pingshack22

Revolutionary or not?
In 10 years of being a mentally disturbed "club ho", I have never seen a driver with so much hype (not even the TM R7). Is this club going to revolutionize driver technology or simply become an over-hyped (funny shaped) thing of the past. It is very hard to ignore the early reviews and IMO this club is either going to be a must have (ie. Cally Big Berthas of the past) or a driver that you can't give away due to the wierd shape. Has anyone hit this club and had bad results? I am trying to ignore the hype and stay with my fairly traditional-shaped Cally, but it is becoming more difficult as the rave continues. What is your opinion of the craziness?

TaylorMade M2 (9.5*)
Exotics CB5 (15*)
TM Rescue TP (19*)
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged (4-GW)
PING Anser Forged (54*,58*)
PING Vintage Pal 2 (35")

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit it and ended up buying one. It is simply longer and straighter than any driver I have ever hit including the Titleist 905R. What makes it good is the lower, deeper center of gravity and the alignment of the CG with the center of the face. Also, it has an increased MOI to keep it online better which it does. Certainly won't appeal to everyone but I also think it is a departure from the standard driver offerings these days.

Redbird - I would agree, but I have talked to atleast 5 people lately in the industry and all they can talk about is the Hi-Bore. These are people who have hit the club either on the course or launch monitor and all say they have added ridiculous distance.

TaylorMade M2 (9.5*)
Exotics CB5 (15*)
TM Rescue TP (19*)
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged (4-GW)
PING Anser Forged (54*,58*)
PING Vintage Pal 2 (35")

To date I have or had in my possession the following drivers. 905R, X-460 Tour, Tour Edge Exotics, XX Speed, MX-500, Hogan C53, r7 425, r7 425 TP, r7 460, G5, Adams 460 Dual, Hi Bore. Only the X-460 Tour is a serious contender to the Hi Bore. It is indeed revolutionary in concept and function. But in it's time so was the old Spalding Executives (a similar concept made from laminated maple). Over a couple of years people drifted back toward to old reliable shape. Of course that was the days of wood when the COR was .72 or lower and other than corking heads there wasn't much you could do with shapes or weighting. I suspect many will be put off by the look and reject it on that basis just like many people did the original ping irons KI when everyone was playing their shiny Mac, Wilsons, Spalding forgings in the 60s.

Redbird - I would agree, but I have talked to atleast 5 people lately in the industry and all they can talk about is the Hi-Bore. These are people who have hit the club either on the course or launch monitor and all say they have added ridiculous distance.

The hype is welcome and it's always intriguing to see new designs.

But when I hear your going to hit the ball 50 yards further with this club or hit it straighter, I take it as a grain of salt. If the club was "Ridiculously" longer than any other club, I'd think the USGA might have something to say about it. Again, it's a subjective thing and it won't be for everyone.

There is no doubt that the hi-bore will make many happy. But I think we've all heard how this next new club is X times greater than anything else on the market because of X-Y-Z.

how many of the Cleveland staff players are playing it?

in the not-too-distant past, few Cleveland players actually played their drivers, if they are playing the HiBore maybe there is something to it.

So far, two staffs by my count...their big guns, Singh (who figured out his game this past weekend) and Toms (2 wins already this year). So, those of you who want to poo-poo the Hi-bore, just remember that OEMs need to get more and more original and find their niche. If they're switching and not looking back, I'm sure I'll enjoy mine with an upgraded shaft hopefully arriving to replace yet another driver in my bag. I'm sure I'll have this one for a while.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I just hit it this past weekend at a demo day at The Golf Shack in Rockford, Illinois, and all I say is B-A-D!!! I didn't like it all. It looks like an ashtray with a titanium face and produces the most piercing sound at impact. In fact, it was so loud and felt so bad at impact that I stopped hitting it after about 10 to 15 shots. It's billed at a long and accurate driver, which may be the case, but the sheer bad looks and terrible sound at impact will stop you in your tracks IMO. I didn't hear alot of positive comments from other guys I talked to about it that day either. Remember your earplugs when (and if) you go hit it. Coversely, the new 588 DSG (Dynamic Sole Grind) wedges were awesome and showed great versatility. That is, I could open up the 56 and hit a nice flop shot with ease. They're on sale now at all the major retailers for $109.99.

Speaking of drivers, the new Titleist 905R was a definite crowd pleaser, especially with the UST V2 shaft. Also, the surprise of the day IMO was Srixon W-506 driver. Great look, solid feel, and distance was right up there with the big boys. Also, take a look at Srixon's I-506 irons. They're vastly underrated and not that expensive.

I just hit it this past weekend at a demo day at The Golf Shack in Rockford, Illinois, and all I say is B-A-D!!! I didn't like it all. It looks like an ashtray with a titanium face and produces the most piercing sound at impact. In fact, it was so loud and felt so bad at impact that I stopped hitting it after about 10 to 15 shots. It's billed at a long and accurate driver, which may be the case, but the sheer bad looks and terrible sound at impact will stop you in your tracks IMO. I didn't hear alot of positive comments from other guys I talked to about it that day either. Remember your earplugs when (and if) you go hit it.

So what your saying is I'm going to be seeing patients come in complaining of their ears ringing after they hit their driver. :drinks:

Toms is still playing the Comp and Cleveland's winner at Bay Hill was playing a TM 425.

According to Golf Magazine (last month) they had a pic of his Hi-Bore and said it was in his bag in Hawaii (Toms). Pampling was playing the TM.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

yeah he played it at first, but then toms went back.

DoubleJ: IMO i thought that the 905R was terrible, its all about prefrence. I did not like the t or S either, i have not been able to get into titleiest drivers so i did not like the 905R. I was hitting an ignite with a diamana 20 yards longer than the 905R with a V2 in it.

if the results are longer and straighter, why would you turn away from it becuase of the sound...sound wont lower your score.

i thought toms ahd it but broke it on the plan going to the sony (i belive he won that) but unfortunitly won with the comp, and who can blame him for not swithcing back to hibore after playing so well with comp

and i have hit it and loved it, added tons of distance and rarely offline, and could still work the ball

The Comp is a solid driver for Cleveland. I may pick up another one, if the prices continue to drop. The Hi-Bore will have to put up some solid numbers for me to consider it. I haven't had the chance to hit one in person, but if it's looks are distracting, then it better post big numbers to win me over.

As for Tour presense, I think a lot of players are happy and confident with their current sticks. Look how long it took for other Cleveland players to put their Launcher 400's down for the Comp. Or, look at TM players with the R7 and R7 425.

I just hit it this past weekend at a demo day at The Golf Shack in Rockford, Illinois, and all I say is B-A-D!!! I didn't like it all. It looks like an ashtray with a titanium face and produces the most piercing sound at impact. In fact, it was so loud and felt so bad at impact that I stopped hitting it after about 10 to 15 shots. It's billed at a long and accurate driver, which may be the case, but the sheer bad looks and terrible sound at impact will stop you in your tracks IMO. I didn't hear alot of positive comments from other guys I talked to about it that day either. Remember your earplugs when (and if) you go hit it. Coversely, the new 588 DSG (Dynamic Sole Grind) wedges were awesome and showed great versatility. That is, I could open up the 56 and hit a nice flop shot with ease. They're on sale now at all the major retailers for $109.99.

Speaking of drivers, the new Titleist 905R was a definite crowd pleaser, especially with the UST V2 shaft. Also, the surprise of the day IMO was Srixon W-506 driver. Great look, solid feel, and distance was right up there with the big boys. Also, take a look at Srixon's I-506 irons. They're vastly underrated and not that expensive.

Boy Titleist needs to haunt that place. I've been to no less than 15 demo days from California, Colorado, Arizona, Florida, Michigan among others and at none was the 905R a crowd pleaser. And the Hi Bore was definitely a crowd pleaser at 8 of the demo days. The 905R was received with apathy at best. Most of these places had 15-20 905Rs to sell at these demo days and very few even moved 2 after demoing. Your the first one that said the Hi Bore sounds loud. Most reps. are describing it as a persimmon like click sound. Sure it wasn't a Cobra driver you were hitting those do sound horrible.

It must have been a Titleist crowd that day, but I'm not one of them. I have the Innovex 460 CfD (Cup Face Design), and no driver I hit that day (905R, Hi-Bore, Cally X, Srixon W-506, Mizzy MX 500, TE Exotics, and TM R7 425) would make me switch. I agree, the new Cobra speed drivers are loud, but I thought the HiBore was even louder. Looks like I don't share the same opinion on the Hi-Bore as most, but it just didn't do it for me.

Can anyone tell me whether the Hi Bore is expected to be more helpful to the mid and higher handicap golfer or is it targeted at pros and low handicappers? Presumably the supposed extra forgiveness should help us hackers who can't hit the ball on the face at exactly the spot needed to either maximise launch conditions or to shape shots? Is this right? Does that also explain why not so may pros are using it?

Also, does anyone have a view on how it is supposed to perform in the wind? Playing links golf in the UK means I'm not necessarily looking for a driver that gets up fast, but then again the lower spin should presumably help counteract the wind. Is this driver expected to produce more carry or more roll??

Please help?!? :drinks:

I am really excited to hit the HiBore. The technology really makes sense to me. It will also be interesting to see what it looks like in person. If it performs like others have said it does then it will be awesome. There is a buzz with it. I'll get to swing one on Saturday.

But I think with any driver it is going to come down to finding the right shaft combination. To get the 14-17* launch angle they are suggesting (with the low spinning nature of the face) I will probably have to get a low or mid-low kick point shaft.

/bd

Titleist 915D3 | Rogue Black 70
Titleist 915F | Rogue Black 80
Titleist 915H | Diamana D+ 90
Mizuno MP-53 | KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

I don't know why some people have negative opinions about Titleist equipment. I think they make some of the best out there. I'm a 15 handicap and I love to experiment with various equipment/manufacturers. Right now I'm using Callaway but I'm probably going back to all Titleist woods again this weekend. Even though they have the moniker of better clubs for better players, I have yet to find anything better suited to my swing type than what Titleist makes.

The 980F and 904F are the easiest fairways for me to get off the ground with distance compared to what are regarded as more game forgiving woods.

I also miss my 905T/V2 driver since I've had the best drives of my life with that and it gives me the best accuracy.

Current driver Inventory: 905R(brand new, never hit), 905T, X460 Tour, FT-3 Tour, Big Bertha 454, R7 Quad, and 983K :drinks:

say what you will about it, the Hibore is a phenominal driver with wonderful distance and control. Not your typical looking driver, but that is what makes it unique. It my eyes, it is very different that the traditional Titleist offerings, but looks a hell of a lot better then the Nike SQ. In the end, try one...you don't like, fine.....but i guarantee, you find the right shaft, this driver were change your mind.

Toms was playing the HiBore but broke it some sort of way according the Tour Van guy from Cleveland. This guy built Toms' driver. He said basically the clubhead didn't break but the shaft did and that Toms hasn't had the time to test others. He said Toms is supposed to put it back in the bag after Augusta.

The reason, the rep said, that only Toms and Singh are playing it is because they are Cleveland's highest profile players. They got the club to them first but now are working with other Cleveland players to get it into their bags as well. He figured by mid season most Cleveland players will be playing the HiBore.

Then, again, this guy could have been full of crap!

Toms did not win the Sony with Hi-Bore, it was the Comp. I think all OEM's right now are trying to have multiple high-end driver offerings (except Ping). They all have multiple irons why not woods.

Cally - FT-3 & X460

Cleveland - Hi-Bore & Comp

TM - R7 & R5

Nike - SQ & Ignite

Titleist - All those 905's

You get the point.

I don't think it's a big deal if a tour player is not playing the very latest. The Hi-bore sounds sexy, but I think I would demo the X beofre it. Not looking to swap my FT-3 anytime soon, too frigging long.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

I had a chance to hit this past weekend. While it looks much better in person I agree with the other poster. It sounded and felt horrible. I tried the stock shaft, a V2 and a PL but it made no difference. Performance wise, I couldn't turn it over as easily as the X460 Tour or SQ Max. When hit well it's long and straight but so are a million other drivers on the market now. I don't think it's an upgrade over the 460 Comp, especially in looks and feel.

Just my $.02

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

A driver is such a personal decision with each player. I saw the Hi Bore and it was a nice looking stick. The Cleveland rep had it in his car about a month ago and I took a look at it. It is just funny when people state that they hit this driver or that driver 20 yards further than anything else they have tried. I am willing to bet that the distance between different drivers would all be within 3-5 yards of each other unless there were tremendous shaft difference between different models.

I don't switch drivers very often but I bit on the hype of the new R7 425 TP and spent $700 on one and went out to the range and course to give this new toy a try expecting great things. Low and behold I am back to my R7TP 400cc with the 757 speeder and I am selling the 425. I guess what I am trying to say is that new is not always better and the distance gained is no where near what people perceive.

Just my .02 worth.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

Spalding/Top-Flite had a driver called the Magna in 1995 that was similar to the idea behind the HiBORE. No crown, looked like an ashtray. About a 200cc steel head with a graphite insert (remember that short-lived fad?). I had one. Hit the ball very high and very straight. Payne Stewart used one in the Skins Game that year, but not on tour (TF said it was because he hit it "too straight" and liked to work the ball). Was very loud and funky sounding, especially back then (when most drivers were steel and some were still filled with foam).

I'm certainly not saying that Cleveland ripped off an old idea. But I will say that there isn't much that hasn't already been tried in some way somewhere along the line. I'm looking forward to trying the HiBORE out of curiousity, but the FT-3 is set in my bag.

See here's what i feel about the hibore, Although the looks is very weird and the sound mite be a little anoying but WHO CARES? If your hitting the driver 50 yrds further then your driver thats all that matters.. If your gonna go back to your R7s Ft3's etc.. Just because it looks better and sounds better you are not a real golfer because when it all comes down to it the preformance is the whole deal if i could hit a stick with a spoon on the end futher then any driver out there that week you'd see my bag with a stick with a spoon on the end simple as that