Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

how many majors have been won with Ping irons?

keyserkeyser Members Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know how many majors have been won with Ping irons?

John Daly had eye2's in the '91.. Angel Cabrera obviously... Calc when he won the British... what about Bob Tway? Maybe some had only Ping long irons back in the day?

Comments

• rhoward327rhoward327 Members Posts: 22
    How many clubs in the bag need be ping? If 1 is reuired I am sure it is a lot. There putters were very popular for a long time. They still are but it seemed like in the early 90's everyone had one. I think most have played one at some point.
  • hardtenhardten Members Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you got all of them on your list.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably would be a lot more but many players who played Ping irons in college changed because of endorsement $$$ when they turned pro.
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • andersanders Members Posts: 488
    edited Apr 10, 2009 #5
    keyser wrote on Apr 9 2009, 08:43 PM:
    Does anyone know how many majors have been won with Ping irons?

John Daly had eye2's in the '91.. Angel Cabrera obviously... Calc when he won the British... what about Bob Tway? Maybe some had only Ping long irons back in the day?

Chip Beck would have won at Augusta using them, if his backside hadn't gone on him and layed up on 15!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • golf crazygolf crazy Members Posts: 59
    Lorena Ochoa has won 2 majors using ping irons also.
  • sshadow2sshadow2 Members Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever seen PINGs gold putter room? Whoever has won a tournament with a PING putter gets a gold putter made for them and one goes into the vault. Here's a clip where they talk about it:

http://www.golf.com/golf/video/article/0,2...1856189,00.html

Not only majors but its impressive non the less.

PING 410 9* Plus Tensei Orange CK 60
    PING 410 14.5* 3W LST Tensei Orange CK 70
    Titleist 818 H1 3H 19* Project X Evenflow Blue 85HY
    Titleist 818 H1 5H 23* Project X Evenflow Blue 85HY
    Callaway Apex 19 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite
    Cleveland CBX 50* and 55* KBS Hi-REV
    PING Glide 3.0 WS 60* Nippon Z-Z115
    Nike Method Midnight 006

• sshadow2sshadow2 Members Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 10, 2009 #8
    Also, here's a PING rundown:

http://americangolf.com.au/tour_highlights.html

Text in orange on the right are Majors.

PING 410 9* Plus Tensei Orange CK 60
    PING 410 14.5* 3W LST Tensei Orange CK 70
    Titleist 818 H1 3H 19* Project X Evenflow Blue 85HY
    Titleist 818 H1 5H 23* Project X Evenflow Blue 85HY
    Callaway Apex 19 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite
    Cleveland CBX 50* and 55* KBS Hi-REV
    PING Glide 3.0 WS 60* Nippon Z-Z115
    Nike Method Midnight 006

• mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As above, it depends upon how many Ping irons need to be present for a win to qualify. Although full bags of Ping irons have been a relative rarity in the major winners' circle, many players have won with a Ping 1 iron in play. Sandy Lyle won an Open Chapionship and a Masters title with a Ping 1 iron in play (a Karsten series and an Eye 2 respectively) and Ian Woosnam was bagging an Eye 1 iron when he won his Masters title back in '91.
  • MNGolfer03MNGolfer03 Members Posts: 127
    I will take this one step further and consider anyone who had anything ping in their bag, whether it was a wedge, putter, hybrid, or putter grip...which in this case would give PING at least 14 majors as a Mr. Woods happens to have a PING grip on his trusty Scotty...
  • mat562mat562 My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly. Members Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 10, 2009 #11
    Counting putters too - as well as wedges - the tally starts to get mightily impressive.

Any minute now, a Cameron afficionado will chirp up and remind us that Woods' first Masters win didn't include a Ping putter grip.
  • jaskanskijaskanski Members Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mat562 wrote on Apr 10 2009, 03:08 PM:
    As above, it depends upon how many Ping irons need to be present for a win to qualify. Although full bags of Ping irons have been a relative rarity in the major winners' circle, many players have won with a Ping 1 iron in play. Sandy Lyle won an Open Chapionship and a Masters title with a Ping 1 iron in play (a Karsten series and an Eye 2 respectively) and Ian Woosnam was bagging an Eye 1 iron when he won his Masters title back in '91.

Did Langer have a Ping 1-iron in play for one of his Masters titles? Just curious.
    jaskanski wrote on Apr 10 2009, 05:44 PM:
    Did Langer have a Ping 1-iron in play for one of his Masters titles? Just curious.

He did mate. The old red spot Eye 2 that he bagged for years...
  • texcromtexcrom Franklin, TNClubWRX Posts: 3,551 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 10, 2009 #14
    mat562 wrote on Apr 10 2009, 10:08 AM:

Following that line of thought Azinger and Sluman both won PGA's using Ping Eye 2 sand / lob wedges.
    Any combination of 14 of the clubs below make up the bag at any given time:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 16.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist U-500 20 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 90g Stiff
    Titleist T-100 4-PW AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron & 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - PW AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-10S, 60-12D
    Titleist Scotty Cameron T-22 Newport 
    Titleist Scotty Cameron T-22 Newport 2 
    Titleist Pro V1X
    GO VOLS!
  • Jay4Jay4 Members Posts: 800
    mat562 wrote on Apr 10 2009, 12:55 PM:
    jaskanski wrote on Apr 10 2009, 05:44 PM:

He did mate. The old red spot Eye 2 that he bagged for years...

LOL, I still have my Ping Eye2 1 and 2 iron in the closet collecting dust...Thanks for the reminder.
    I think Azinger also had that beryllium Eye 2 pitching wedge in play too.

The one he probably sleeps with at night and which is seemingly never more than fifty feet away from him.
  • clutchputt71clutchputt71 Clutchputt71 ClubWRX Posts: 207 ClubWRX
    As far as full bag sets on the PGA I think that Daly, Calc, and Cabrerra have been the only ones. I am sure the LPGA has had quite a few more. Good call on the Zinger and Sluman wedges, and bob Tway beat norman with an EYE 2 SW out of the bunker. if memory serves me correct I believe that Ernie Els was the last one to use a ping winning the US Open with his old Anser, and I think Todd Hamilton used an Anser to win his Open title. Tiger also used an Anser @ Patent Pending to win his Amateur titles.
    Good call on Els. Hamilton was actually bagging a beryllium B60 at Troon - which I think is still in play - and Woods did have some success with an old Anser 2 in his younger days. I think his last U.S. Amateur win was with a Cameron though - an early Pro Platinum Newport model - which set him off on a close relationship with Cameron that's obviously been maintained ever since. As we all know though, his faithful putter is essentially modelled around the Anser 2 he played as a junior and youth.

Putter-wise, it's quite hard to think of a player, other than young pros who've played primarily in the Cameron/Odyssey era, who haven't had at least some success with a Ping putter in the bag.

Doing a bit of brainstorming, it actually surprised me how 'little' success Ping have had in major championship golf - at least as far as the men are concerned and in terms of players having 10 or 11 Ping clubs in play.
  • D'KRUSHERD'KRUSHER Members Posts: 856
    Ping has it's Ad- Showing a Gazilion Gold Putters in a room, with each putter representing a winner-

I know not majors, all of 'em. Of course, I say all the Majors won with an Answer Style Design Counts

too.

I find it amazing how quickly, Ping Pro A. Cabrera sets up and hits the ball. " Quick Draw McGraw" - Gun Slinger Style.
  • ggproggpro Members Posts: 568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tway had a full bag of Eye 2's at Inverness as well as a Wood Brothers Texan driver and Anser putter.
  • jaskanskijaskanski Members Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What was Scott Simpson using for his 1987 US Open win at Olympic? I've seen a commemorative set of Eye 2's with Olympic crest 1987.
    Some Yamaha spanners and a taylor Made putter if memory serves...
  • ajwernerajwerner Members Posts: 18
    And Payne Stewart had a Ping lob wedge when he won his last US Open. It was used on the last hole to get up and down to win.

That was the year he had no sponsor. I think he had a Titleist driver, Mizuno irons and the Seemore putter.
  • skullycaponeskullycapone Members Posts: 107
    The title says irons, not putters, PING irons are not in the same league as other club makers, it takes a lucky hot streak for a pro using ping to even get up in the top 10.

Putters are nice though
  • sliderwrxsliderwrx Members Posts: 73
    Todd Hamilton won the Open Championship using a BeCu Ping B60.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ajwerner wrote on Apr 12 2009, 08:01 AM:
    And Payne Stewart had a Ping lob wedge when he won his last US Open. It was used on the last hole to get up and down to win.

That was the year he had no sponsor. I think he had a Titleist driver, Mizuno irons and the Seemore putter.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here. I believe that he had signed with Lynx, which was just purchased by Golfsmith, back in the day when Tom Wishon worked there. I believe Wishon had just designed a set of Lynx proto blades for Payne, I remember reading a article in which Wishon stated so and how sad he was right after Payned died. I am not sure if he still had the Mizzy's in the bag for the US Open or not, but I am pretty sure he had a Titleist 975 driver with a DG shaft, didnt he always carry a BeCu Cleveland 588 56* as well? The SeeMore putter and I believe as someone stated earlier a Eye2 Lob wedge.

I am sure Matt562 knows the actual answer to this off the top of his head.
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • laydehgolferlaydehgolfer Banned Posts: 1
    whoah! ping is really a good club to start! its an icon!
    I could be wrong, but wasn't that the year that generated the urban myth about him winning with a set of MP-14s from Edwin Watts?

He was certainly bagging a 975D, and IIRC, albeit he had an MP14 pitching wedge, the iron set was actually an old set of MS-4s. Everyone remembers the iconic pose with the SeeMore putter, and I think his 60 degree club was a Zing 2, with his faithful old 588 filling the sand wedge spot. His 3 wood was a Tri Metal Orlimar job I think.
  • D'KRUSHERD'KRUSHER Members Posts: 856
    When you bring up Payne Stewart - I do miss this guy !

I followed him 10 years or ago (?)- at the Att Pro Am - Pebble Beach, and it was the Sat- he was leading.

18th hole at Poppy, on the tee- he's joking, and talking with us.. then just steps up, rips his drive, rips his second to the green, makes birdie. Play is flooded out for Sunday- no Sunday play & Payne wins !

Fyi, when I see Mark McNulty swing, it reminds me of Payne.

The SeeMore Putter IS an Original Design ! Never tried it.
  • sandysandy ClubWRX Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 12, 2009 #30
    skullycapone wrote on Apr 12 2009, 09:59 AM:
    The title says irons, not putters, PING irons are not in the same league as other club makers, it takes a lucky hot streak for a pro using ping to even get up in the top 10.

Putters are nice though

You have some knowledge about Ping's inferiority as far as irons? Seems like you like to make definite (unsupportable) statements about various manufacturers. Your beloved Tiger won several tournaments with Ping irons as an amateur, so I guess he ran into a lucky hot streak. Certainly people like Lorena, Jiminez, Westwood, Cabrerra, Calc have easily been in the top 10 many times in their career (p.s. a win is considered a top 10 finish). Probably one of the dumbest statements I've read here in a long long time.

Those great Nike clubs made a great sound today rattling off a tree on 18 for Tiger. Maybe he could have done better with Pings and a lucky hot streak. He could have avoided that spectacular finish with those VRs.
  • OnebulldogsOnebulldogs Members Posts: 1,362
    Looks like Cabrera won one more for Ping.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file