How do you walk 18?

Comments

• SnodorkSnodork Members Posts: 475 ✭✭
    Started out a few years back walking with a cart (clickgear 3.0)

Last season walked/carried all season, switched for “more exercise”

Just recently went back to try cart (for fun) and realized after the round my lower back and hamstrings/glutes were way more sore after pushing. We have a couple hills but nothing outrageous.

Cart has been shelved indefinitely!
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,797 ✭✭
    99% of the time i carry.... ill ride when im dog tired from work or if im playing with someone as a twosome and they need to ride
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,143 ✭✭
    For years I have most enjoyed carrying my bag on my shoulder but play most of my rounds using a push cart. I recently went through a phase of shouldering the bag quite a few times and as usual noticed on most days it resulted in really getting tense/sore/tired in the shoulders by the end of the round. Especially the right arm I use for lifting the bag onto my shoulder, which of course I do something like 40-50 times over the course of 3-1/2 hours.

So about 25 rounds ago I took my very comfortable to carry Titleist Lightweight stand bag, which fits perfectly on my Motocaddy S1 electric trolley, and stuck it not only in the closet but inside a big SKG travel case. Almost impossible to drag it out on impulse because it's buried being the usual metric boatload of closet detritus.

I've got a 14-way Motocaddy matching bag that is a) far too heavy to carry, b) has no stand and c) I've removed the strap just in case. It snaps right onto the base of the trolley and is super-convenient and roomy. But mostly it removes any spur-of-the-moment temptation to just shoulder the bag instead of using the trolley.

As I probably should have known, it has paid dividends physically. These past couple months I've been less tired at the end of rounds (than when I was carrying) and further I am less tired and sore in the upper body overall than I used to be even on the days I did not carry. I've played 27 holes instead of 18 a few times lately and honestly 27 holes with the trolley is no more tiring than 18 with the bag on my shoulder.

So I'm over it. There's a great feeling of freedom from not being tied to that trolley and not having to take the long way 'round greens or soft areas of turf. But it's also a great feeling to walk off the 18th green and think, "A quick snack and I've back off to the 1st tee for another nine".
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • shotmarkshotmark Members Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Off topic slightly but people who pull trollies in winter are usually the first to moan about the state of the fairways in Spring.
    shotmark wrote:

Off topic slightly but people who pull trollies in winter are usually the first to moan about the state of the fairways in Spring.

Come on over to the land of cart-golf if you want to see some wheel damage. A Motocaddie isn't in the same league as a gas powered buggy with a couple of 24-stone Lard Lads riding in it.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • RPryorRPryor Banned Posts: 177
    Recently i started carrying because it is more exercise and the weather is great. I like it better than pushing.
  • MajorCavalryMajorCavalry Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Bad arthritis in shoulder.

Cart Tek electric cart. We have a quite hilly course. Love walking it, but hate pushing a cart up long, steep hills.
    Callaway Rogue Driver 10.5* Accra FX 2.0 370 stiff 44 1/4"
    2 Callaway Epic hybrid.UST Recoil 95 prototype shaft F4
    3, 4 Miura Hybrid UST Recoil 95 prototype shaft F4
    5-9 Miura CB57 Accra 70i BestGrips
    5-9 Wishon 560 UST Recoil 808 F4 (old set but not gone)
    Miura 49Y (bent 48), 51Y (bent 52j, 56C and 60Y all with UST Recoil 808 F4
    SeeMore putter
    All with BestGrips!
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,621 ✭✭
    typically i push my cart - been known to walk and carry if i'm playing 9 holes tho. just faster/easier than getting the cart in/out of the car.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5" OR Kombi-S / 35.5"

• CunninghamCunningham Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    I love to carry. Walking 18 holes helps burn off beer calories after the round image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    I know my total activity calories for 18 holes isn't huge but I'm with Mr. Cunningham. If I just got through walking a round of golf I drink a beer or eat fried chicken or whatever and figure I'm probably covered!
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • tehutitehuti tehuti Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited Mar 15, 2018 #822
    No way I would carry a bag for 18 holes. I use a Bagboy push cart.
  • cjaxuncjaxun Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Started off carrying the bag...mid 50s and I now own a sun mountain and a bag boy pull cart.
  • hlcahlca Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    Have a lumbar spinal stenosis. I try to walk w/ push cart for half my rounds. Carry is out of the question.
    Callaway X2 Hot driver 10.5* w/ Proforce V2 stiff shaft
    TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 3W 15* w/ stock shaft
    TaylorMade Jetspeed 3H 19* w/ stock shaft
    Callaway X2 Hot 5-AW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 stiff shaft
    Callaway MD4 S-Grind 54* 58* w/ stock shaft
    Nike Method MOD 60 putter
  • teckneeklyperfectteckneeklyperfect Oregon Mudder Members Posts: 617
    Sun Mountain H2O carry bag...love it
    Ping G30 9*
    Exotics 15* fairway
    Adams A7 19* Hybrid
    King Snake Aldila 4-PW
    Majek 52,56
    Pine Meadow 60*
    White Hot Two Ball
  • JMDJMD Members Posts: 96
    Ogio carry bag. A bit heavy, but an excuse to get some exercise unless a boondoggle / company deal where the golf is less important than the social aspect with a cart.

I also find that I play much better when I walk. Think it is the extra time walking up to the ball and thinking about the shot instead of the blast up, hit then take off again of cart golf.
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,109 ✭✭
    I play a lot. I used to carry, but kept ruining my shirts and sweaters from the friction of the strap. That and it required constant vigilance to keep junk out of the bag. The push cart is easier on the back and I can carry more stuff.
  • m_alcom_alco Rancho Cordova, CAMembers Posts: 345 ✭✭
    At the moment, I am using a push cart, but hope to be able to start carrying for 18 again. I have had 4 knee injuries on my left knee and pushing has helped me keep my energy up for the whole round. But, hopefully with some weight loss, which should also easy pressure on my knee, I can carry again. There is something about carrying a golf bag that I really enjoy.
  • homergolfhomergolf Bay Village, OHMembers Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Throw a lot of balls, not many strikes.

Oops, watching a baseball game on TV, sorry...

Used to walk and carry all the time, now if walking I’ll rent a pull cart.

Ping G400, 9, adjusted to 10
    Epic Flash 3-wood, 15
    Rogue 5-wood, 19
    Epic 4 hybrid, 23
    AP3, 5-48*
    SM6 54, 10
    SM6 60, 8
    SC GoLo 3, 33"

...for now
  • NYCGolfNutNYCGolfNut Members Posts: 293 ClubWRX
    My course does not allow pull / push carts. Either ride (with a lot of restrictions on where you can take carts) or walk.

Just started to play with 8-10 clubs only, to let me walk with a light bag. Fewer choices to think through and have all my clubs with me when I get to the ball. Resulted in greater focus on strategy and where I want to leave my next shot, etc. Like another poster said above, those last few steps walking to the ball really help clear the mind and allow you too think and visualize what you want to do.

So far have not noticed any major impact to score, and has done wonders for how I feel at the end of 18 holes as opposed to carrying a full bag. Strongly recommend it to all that may be considering something like this.
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 440 ✭✭
    Push 18, carry 9.

Neck gets a bit too stiff trying to carry for 18. I like that little break you get every once in a while where you let the cart freewheel by itself down gentle slopes (only when safe, of course).
  • hdgolf44hdgolf44 Members Posts: 342 ✭✭
    I used to Carry all the time, back when I could get out there multiple times a week. The only time I would push would be for tournaments, when the stand bag was loaded up with gear.

Invested in a ClicGear and push cart and have been doing the push cart thing ever since, though I recently picked up a carry bag, and will probably mix it up

- quick, after work, informal play & nice weather - Carry

- tournaments, rainy/soggy, etc - Push
    Cobra King F6+ (black - set @ 9*) -- w/ Kuro Kage Silver (stiff)
    TaylorMade M4 5W (18*) -- w/ stock Fuji Atmos 6 Red
    TaylorMade M1 Rescue - 21* -- w/ stock Fuji Pro 80h stiff
    Mizuno Fli-Hi Utility -24* -- w/ TT DG S300
    Mizuno MP-64 (5-PW) -- w/ TT DG S300
    Cleveland RTX-3 - (52* mg) & (56* fg)
    Callaway Mack Dady PM Grind (60*)
    PING Anser 3 MgBr -" w/ GP Tour Tradition

• llamontllamont Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    edited Jun 1, 2018 #833
    For most weekend/planned rounds:

0eec9f7ffa0720daaa9b494f9ffe3cef.jpg

Trunk set that’s usually in my car for those last minute/twilight/usually after work/summertime weekday rounds:

d7e93bd98885c8a1f8e8c12b97141e84.jpg
    I love golf
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,927 ✭✭
    In South Florida, during the summer, don't even consider it!... image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
  • kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!! Yokosuka, JapanMembers Posts: 1,118 ✭✭
    Clicgear 3.5 for me
    In My Bag
    PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g
    TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3
    TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX
    TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X
    Vokey SM6 58*, 50*
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black/MTB-X
    #insideTMAG 2013
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Push cart these days.
    Titleist 917d2 9.5
    Titleist 917f2 15
    Adams A7 19
    Adam's pro mini 23
    Bridgestone J36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland Rtx3 50,54,58
    Ping karsten piper
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,718 ✭✭
    I'm torn actually. I play mostly in summer and it's awful hot and muggy. A cart is nice for shade and to outrun the gnats. But when it's soggy and cart path only the cart is a slow schlep. Carrying is the easiest over a wet course but the push cart is easier on my back.

I think I'll buy a stand bag and try both^

. I don't carry rain gear, it's pointless. Rain comes with lightning.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • Jlender21Jlender21 Latrobe, PAMembers Posts: 201 ✭✭
    34 yrs old and I use a push cart. I don’t care. Play better with it and I can play everyday of the week now and not be sore.
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Jlender21 wrote:

34 yrs old and I use a push cart. I don’t care. Play better with it and I can play everyday of the week now and not be sore.
    same for me. But I'm a couple years younger.
    Titleist 917d2 9.5
    Titleist 917f2 15
    Adams A7 19
    Adam's pro mini 23
    Bridgestone J36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland Rtx3 50,54,58
    Ping karsten piper
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • golftechgolftech Members Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Seven wrist and elbow surgeries and one back surgery limits both carrying or pushing a cart. That only leaves caddies or carts. But it’s still better than no golf at all these days. I had plenty of years rehabbing my body to play again, so riding in a cart is a small price to pay just to be able to play.
  • hack2489hack2489 Members Posts: 214
    I don't know how you all carry a bag with cubs, balls, food and water.

It's the water and food that I need to get through 18 that really adds to the weight of the bag.

And I have a full bag of 14 clubs.

I started with a stand bag last year for the afternoon 'twilight' 9 holes but found the lack of water an issue. As soon as I started to take a litre of water with me, for the hot humid conditions, I started to notice my should and upper arm go sore from picking up the bag to put it over my shoulder after each shot.

Santa brought me a push cart, that's light and suits my light stand bag. So I now use that for the 9 holes rounds.

I much prefer and enjoy using a cart for 18 holes. Never as tired and fatigued and the last few holes I do not seem to fade as much. I enjoy the golf much more that way.