How do you walk 18?

1232425262729»

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,768 ✭✭
    hack2489 wrote:

I don't know how you all carry a bag with cubs, balls, food and water.

It's the water and food that I need to get through 18 that really adds to the weight of the bag.

And I have a full bag of 14 clubs.

I started with a stand bag last year for the afternoon 'twilight' 9 holes but found the lack of water an issue. As soon as I started to take a litre of water with me, for the hot humid conditions, I started to notice my should and upper arm go sore from picking up the bag to put it over my shoulder after each shot.

Santa brought me a push cart, that's light and suits my light stand bag. So I now use that for the 9 holes rounds.

I much prefer and enjoy using a cart for 18 holes. Never as tired and fatigued and the last few holes I do not seem to fade as much. I enjoy the golf much more that way.

And if you play in a part of the world where you carry a 5-pound bottle of sand for divots, there’s that added too.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
    hack2489 wrote:

I don't know how you all carry a bag with cubs, balls, food and water.

It's the water and food that I need to get through 18 that really adds to the weight of the bag.

And I have a full bag of 14 clubs.

I started with a stand bag last year for the afternoon 'twilight' 9 holes but found the lack of water an issue. As soon as I started to take a litre of water with me, for the hot humid conditions, I started to notice my should and upper arm go sore from picking up the bag to put it over my shoulder after each shot.

Santa brought me a push cart, that's light and suits my light stand bag. So I now use that for the 9 holes rounds.

I much prefer and enjoy using a cart for 18 holes. Never as tired and fatigued and the last few holes I do not seem to fade as much. I enjoy the golf much more that way.

I play at a course with coolers full of ice water every 2-3 holes. So I don't have to carry water, although I do carry some (on my push cart) on the very hottest days.

That's the good news. Bad news is we play on Bermuda grass so I have to carry a 5-6 pound bottle of sand. On the rare occasions I play nine holes shouldering my bag, I just skip the sand and become of those Those Guys who don't sand my divots. It's only a handful of times a year and to compensate I try to always fill twice as many as I make on my normal rounds with the trolley.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 623

how do i walk 18?.............with my legs?

Yes, surprised that having a caddy carry your bag is not a choice...I realize there are not as many clubs that offer this as when I caddied as a teen, but believe there are still some around.
    Golfing when I can.
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,216 ✭✭

Yes, surprised that having a caddy carry your bag is not a choice...I realize there are not as many clubs that offer this as when I caddied as a teen, but believe there are still some around.

Dang that was almost 10 years ago I posted that lol. I now use a push cart image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Titleist 983K 8.5° - X100
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
    Scotty Cameron X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,916 ✭✭
    edited Jul 2, 2018 #846
    When temps are in the 'feels like' triple digits, it seems downright 'stupid' to walk 18 holes as a recreational golfer! After all, the game is supposed to be fun, but you won't have fun suffering in oppressive heat!.. image/diablo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':diablo:' /> .

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
    bobcat wrote:

When temps are in the 'feels like' triple digits, it seems downright 'stupid' to walk 18 holes as a recreational golfer! After all, the game is supposed to be fun, but you won't have fun suffering in oppressive heat!.. image/diablo.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':diablo:' /> .

Unfortunately, I won't have any fun bouncing around in a cart either. When it's too hot to walk (which today is an example) it's too hot for golf.
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,916 ✭✭
    edited Jul 2, 2018 #848

bobcat wrote:

Unfortunately, I won't have any fun bouncing around in a cart either. When it's too hot to walk (which today is an example) it's too hot for golf.

You'll get no disagreement from me!...I always ride and never walk, even in cooler weather!... image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />

In fact, I wouldn't walk 18 holes even if the South Florida courses I play allowed it...(they don't)... image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
  • JayMattJayMatt Members Posts: 92
    Start on 1 and finish on 18. Sometimes start 10 and finish on 9.
  • Jstdoit95Jstdoit95 jstdoit95 Members Posts: 188
    I walk from the cart to the ball....I remember when getting a cart was such a luxury, now I look forward to retiring someday and actually having time to be able to walk a round, when I do ill def use a push cart though.
    --nope--
  • EddieEdwardsEddieEdwards Members Posts: 339 ✭✭
    Push cart. I would rather carry than use a pull cart.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    Two legs an a pushcart.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,021 ✭✭
    In the near-decade since this thread started, there has been a big increase in motorized trolleys, and that's what I use at home, in my case a QOD. When I've traveled, most recently to Scotland in June, I hired a non-motorized trolley. It makes no difference to me whether it has two wheels, intended to be pulled, or three wheels and designed to be pushed.
  • MarkAJonesMarkAJones Jonesy Members Posts: 228 ✭✭
    I tried carrying recently. Even swapped my Ping Pioneer for a Titleist Stadry.

Mashed my shoulder after just 9 holes so got my push cart out the car for the back nine.

I've used a buggy last two weeks as my shoulder is still goosed.

And though I like the Stadry, its not big enough and with my new sticky CP2 grips, its a pain getting clubs out the bag.

So I'm bidding on tour bags on ebay lol. Back to the push cart / buggy - walking is for younger / fitter peeps than I...
    Hart Common Golf Club, Westhoughton, United Kingdom

WITB:

Driver:
    TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Stiff 10.5
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 Hybrid #2 Kuro Kage Stiff Set at 15.5
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 Hybrid #3 Kuro Kage Stiff Set at 18
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 Hybrid #4 Kuro Kage Stiff Set at 22.5
    Irons: Ping i200 5 - PW AWT 2.0 Stiff Green dot +1inch
    Wedge 1:
    Ping Glide 50 degree CFS Wedge Flex Green dot +1inch
    Wedge 2:
    Ping Glide 54 degree CFS Wedge Flex Green dot +1.25inch
    Wedge 3:
    Ping Glide 58 degree CFS Wedge Flex Green dot +1.50inch
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Cadence 375g

Gamer Ball: Bridgestone B330RXS
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 857 ✭✭
    MarkAJones wrote:
    I tried carrying recently. Even swapped my Ping Pioneer for a Titleist Stadry.

Mashed my shoulder after just 9 holes so got my push cart out the car for the back nine.

I've used a buggy last two weeks as my shoulder is still goosed.

And though I like the Stadry, its not big enough and with my new sticky CP2 grips, its a pain getting clubs out the bag.

So I'm bidding on tour bags on ebay lol. Back to the push cart / buggy - walking is for younger / fitter peeps than I...

I always thought push cart is walking... just without the tense back between shots
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • roundersmittyroundersmitty Members Posts: 1,108 ✭✭
    With the size of my tour bag I use a push cart. Anyone that could carry it 5miles should be on American Gladiators
    2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • jholzjholz Members Posts: 1,296 ✭✭
    I went to a pushcart for a couple of years when my lower back was bothering me, but then one of the bearings in the wheels went out.

Rather than get a replacement, I just started carrying my bag again. I must say that after experiencing both, I genuinely prefer to carry.
    Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
    Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
    Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
    or
    Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
    Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
    5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
    Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
    Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
    Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
    Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize
  • Nic1972Nic1972 Members Posts: 702 ✭✭
    Carrying when I play 9 holes with the wife, but for 18 holes I use my push cart. Now as I lost quite some weight recently I feel fitter and will try to carry more often, except when playing in tournaments.
    Driver: Nike Covert Pro 2.0 / Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Ltd 60 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Mini-Driver: Callaway X2Hot 2-Deep / Aldila Tour Green ATX75 3.7 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    3-Wood: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 TP / Matrix Ozik Rul 80 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    DI: Adams DHY Pro (18') / Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 82H S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black /White
    Hybrids: Titleist 585H (21°); Adams 9031 Pro (24°) / Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 82H S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Irons: Mizuno MP H-5 (4 Iron); Mizuno MP 4 (5 - PW) / Mitsubishi OT-I 105 S / Golf Pride MCC Align Black / White
    Wedges: Vokey SM 7 (50F08, 54M08, 58L04) / Project X LZ 6.0 / Golf Pride MCC Align Black /White
    Putter: Yes Callie & Scotty Cameron California Fastback / UST Mamiya Frequency Filtered / Golf Pride Tour SNSR 104 Pistol
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
    Apparel: Nike
    Glove: Nike Tour Classic
    Shoes: Nike Lunar Command 2
    Bag: Nike
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 883 ✭✭
    Zlim wrote:
    Wanting to save a little dough.

you can post a reason and don't forget the poll.

A battery trolley (powakaddy in UK) of 10 clubs in a sun mountain H2NO light carry bag (2017 edition)
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • MoxleyMoxley Members Posts: 27
    I carry, but I think that's a weather dependent option ; in the UK it's almost always OK though.

If you do carry, don't underestimate the weight of Golf balls in what you carry.
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 883 ✭✭
    Moxley wrote:
    I carry, but I think that's a weather dependent option ; in the UK it's almost always OK though.

If you do carry, don't underestimate the weight of Golf balls in what you carry.

Three balls weighs almost nothing image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • dparkdpark Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭
    I'm in my mid-50s and carry every round, rain or shine, 100* or 35*. The only time I ride is when I am forced to by the course management.
    Old stuff:
    1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
    1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
    1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
    1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E
    1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
    1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
    Cobra ZL 10.5 driver
    Adams 5050 16 fairway wood
    Adams A2P 20* hybrid
    Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW
    Titleist SM6 wedges 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Napa
  • Dustin_JDustin_J St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Walk/carry is my preference for sure. I do ride a fair amount though in the summer when it's crazy hot/humid or when playing housing-development type courses that tended to be routed with really long walks (400-500 yards plus) between many of the holes.
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 3,964 ClubWRX
    Turned 40 this past year and have decided to start carrying.... I don't know why but I picked up a Jones Utility for this reason and I have really been enjoying the walks... There are some super hilly courses here in SoCal that I wouldn't attempt to walk, but the ones I play on a regular basis are pretty flat and walkable. I have a Clicgear, but I actually prefer carrying right now.
    Mizuno ST190G Atmos black TS 9*
    Mizuno ST180 Tensei blue 15*
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB X100
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • amitchell894amitchell894 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭

I was going to say that!
    PING G400 Max 10.5 Tour 65 s
    PING G400 SFT 16 3 Wood Tour 75 s
    PING G400 19 3 Hybrid Tour 85 s
    PING I210 4-P KBS Tour C-Taper Lite s
    PING Glide 2.0 50(ss) 54(es) 60(es) AWT Wedge
    PING Vault 2.0 B60
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,216 ✭✭

I was going to say that!

I just want to thank you for going back an entire decade for the quote image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Might be a new record for me lol
    Titleist 983K 8.5° - X100
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
    Scotty Cameron X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
  • pcedenspcedens Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Zlim wrote:

Push! Easiest thing you can do!
  • NYCTUFanNYCTUFan Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Zlim wrote:

I walk and carry on any course that will let me. I have a Clicgear I use only when it’s raining hard because I like the umbrella holder.
  • scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭
    Carry.... 7 or 8 clubs max. Play 'keep it out of the ****' golf. Not long at all just keep it straight and let my chipping and putting sort out my scores!
  • mattdubyamattdubya Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    for the longest time i would just rent a pull cart at the courses but i decided this year i am going to carry and walk. i do like walking more if i am being serious about a round. i'd rather a cart if it's raining or if it's insanely hot...or the course is too hilly.

i have carried a couple of times so far this year and it's definitely got a better vibe...reminds me of growing up dicking around on the course. good times.
    Callaway Rogue 9* w. Project X HZRDUS T800 55 6.0
    Callaway Rogue 3W 15* w. Project X Evenflow Blue 75
    Callaway Rogue X 3H 18* w. Project X Evenflow Blue 85
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW w. Nippon 950GH stiff
    Mizuno S18 55* and 60* w. Nippon 950GH stiff
    Nike Method Matter B2-01