Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Shirts tucked or untucked when playing?

msn2310msn2310 Members Posts: 295 ✭✭✭✭
Do you go tucked in or untucked when playing? I used to hate golf shirts untucked on people but since I have tried it, I now love it. Anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• noddynoddy Members Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 30, 2009 #2
    Tucked - no question.

I hate untucked golf shirts both the look and feel of them riding up when you hit. Plus how else can I show off my pretty white nike belt! LOL!
  • loomseyloomsey Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭
    Tucked....no question
  • A4A4A4A4A4A4 Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited Apr 30, 2009 #4
    Tucked all the time, classy, and it shows off the belt.
  • msn2310msn2310 Members Posts: 295 ✭✭✭✭
    I see, I do not wear fancy belts so that is not an issue for me. I will say that with pants I would be more inclined to tuck in my shirt but with shorts I think the shirt looks better untucked provided you buy a shirt that fits you right. If you buy a shirt that is too big and it looks like a dress on you then its not going to work. Maybe I am becoming a slob in my older age?? or the fact that I have to dress up to a "T" every single working day so its nice to go a little more casual when playing a game I love on the weekends? Thanks for the comments.
  • oks871oks871 Members Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tucked, gives a neater appearance and allows you to show that flashy belt buckle...
  • GiantbearGiantbear Members Posts: 356
    i don;t like the look of an untucked shirt on the course, just a preference.
  • cptotrcptotr Members Posts: 155
    msn2310 wrote on Apr 30 2009, 10:26 PM:
    I see, I do not wear fancy belts so that is not an issue for me. I will say that with pants I would be more inclined to tuck in my shirt but with shorts I think the shirt looks better untucked provided you buy a shirt that fits you right. If you buy a shirt that is too big and it looks like a dress on you then its not going to work. Maybe I am becoming a slob in my older age?? or the fact that I have to dress up to a "T" every single working day so its nice to go a little more casual when playing a game I love on the weekends? Thanks for the comments.

I can understand your reasoning since I promote a boardroom attire dress code and I wear a suit everyday, but to be in shorts or even pants I feel casual enough. I see no reason to play with an untucked shirt. It would definitely have to be a smaller shirt though if it was going to be done.
  • highergr0undhighergr0und Members Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the course and the length of the shirt. I've got some mock turtleneck dri-fit type shirts that I'll wear to the muni and usually leave them untucked with shorts. My collared shirts tend to be longer so I tuck them in. Not showing off a buckle though. I wear a belt that cost $10 from TJ Maxx. It's the same one I always wear (work, wherever). It's brown/black reversible and very classy image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • JaylasvegasJaylasvegas Members Posts: 2,408
    I go tucked in because im normally sporting some ZCavaricchi's and you DONT not tuck with that classy of a pant
    JA5ON wrote on Apr 30 2009, 10:36 PM:
    I go tucked in because im normally sporting some ZCavaricchi's and you DONT not tuck with that classy of a pant

Now are we talking about ZCavaricchi jorts?
  • MaXimus2MaXimus2 Members Posts: 86
    Tucked or untucked whatever I feel like at time, most of the they come untucked when I swing so eventually they get untucked anyway.
    Z Cavs, nice... tight rolled with a nice pair of Zodiac shoes and maybe a decent IOU sweatshirt?

Sorry, I went back to my Jr High days... Looks like I am going against the grain of the untucked shirt. Oh well, I like it and will continue to do it, sometimes I think guys who "dress to the 9's" when playing a casual round of golf just look like they are trying to hard, just my oppinion though. I used to be that guy, I guess my mindset has changed a bit. Yes, if playing a top of the line golf course or in a tourney, I would defintately tuck in my shirt and look very presentable. Guess it just depends.
    msn2310 wrote on Apr 30 2009, 10:50 PM:
    Z Cavs, nice... tight rolled with a nice pair of Zodiac shoes and maybe a decent IOU sweatshirt?

Sorry, I went back to my Jr High days... Looks like I am going against the grain of the untucked shirt. Oh well, I like it and will continue to do it, sometimes I think guys who "dress to the 9's" when playing a casual round of golf just look like they are trying to hard, just my oppinion though. I used to be that guy, I guess my mindset has changed a bit. Yes, if playing a top of the line golf course or in a tourney, I would defintately tuck in my shirt and look very presentable. Guess it just depends.

You are right about the guys that try to hard. Seems to make you think you don't like that guy before you even meet him.
  • huyhuy Members Posts: 97
    mostly untucked. I try to buy ones where you don't have to tuck in the shirt.
  • xtremeinazxtremeinaz Members Posts: 278
    around the clubhouse I am tucked, but by the 2nd tee I am untucked and swinging free. Re-tucked on the 18th. works good for me.
  • naj959naj959 Members Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2009 #17
    I think a tucked in shirt looks better but my shirts become untucked everytime I take a lash at the ball. It is easier and more cofortable to let it hang out than tuck it in 100 times during a round. A tucked in shirt seems to inhibit my turn.
  • grant_the_tankgrant_the_tank Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting the things we find to talk about here. I like untucked because it's what's comfortable to me. I don't even tuck my shirts at work.
    Change is coming
    WITB Link
  • QWKDTSNQWKDTSN Dreaming of Bandon Members Posts: 2,999 ✭✭
    Untucked for me unless I am playing an away course with more strict dress code regulations. Happy to tuck in 'when in Rome' but my home course is very casual. Only rule is no cutoff shirts. T shirts and jeans are fine, although I wear khakis and a golf shirt.
  • Tmiller72Tmiller72 Members Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that tucking your shirt in is "dressing to the 9's". Most of the guys that I see untucked are either wearing jorts OR golf sandals. Hmmm.
  • KoKo-ButtaKoKo-Butta Members Posts: 56
    in my 4some - 3 belted and tucked, 1 untucked.......
  • bma725bma725 Members Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always tucked, and if the shirt isn't long enough to stay tucked in during my swing then I toss it. It's got nothing to do with how it looks, I just can't stand the way it feels when I'm swinging.
  • jswjrjswjr Members Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are 13 or older you will look best if you tuck your shirt in.
    Ping 400 LST 10*
    K15 3 & 5 wood
    Ping ie 1  4-GW
    Ping M/B 54* & 60* wedges
    G5 Craz-e putter
    Titleist DT TruSoft
  • Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members Posts: 2,533
    I start tucked but end up un-tucked.

I only tuck in shirts that are longer in the back than they are in the front.
  • Golf472Golf472 Members Posts: 441
    IMO Golf shirts are meant to be tucked in.

I think there may be a connection to tucked shirt and handicap.

I never saw a a low shooter with his shirt hanging out.
    TM R11s
    TM Tour Preferred CB/MC
    TM Spider Blade
  • HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Tmiller72 wrote on May 1 2009, 07:47 AM:
    I don't think that tucking your shirt in is "dressing to the 9's". Most of the guys that I see untucked are either wearing jorts OR golf sandals. Hmmm.

Yea just where your hat backwards and complete the look.
    Ping G30 12°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3-4H
    Mizuno JPX-850 5-GW
    Vokey SM 54.14
    Cally MD PM 58.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • papichulostevepapichulosteve Members Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Golf472 wrote on May 1 2009, 09:15 AM:
    IMO Golf shirts are meant to be tucked in.

I think there may be a connection to tucked shirt and handicap.

I never saw a a low shooter with his shirt hanging out.

that's quite the narrowed minded view my friend.

i carry a fairly low handicap...not scratch but i keep it in the 70's most of the time and i hardly ever tuck my shirt in. at most i'll do a tennessee tuck with just the front to show off the buckle.

it depends on the style of shirts a person wears. i tend to wear a lot of slimer fit, shorter shirts so tucking them in is almost impossible. mostly puma, adidas formotion and nike dri-fit and TW shirts. these can be untucked and still look good.

i agree that if i go somewhere with a more 'formal attire' is needed i will dress accordingly, but if i had my way its untucked all the way for me.
  • golfingnut300golfingnut300 Members Posts: 373 ✭✭✭✭
    Tucked sometimes and untucked other times.

Tucked in the summer when it hot, when I am not wearing anything under my shirt, when the shirt is not too short, when the shirt is really long.

Untucked if I wear an undershirt or turtleneck, if the shirt is short.
    Just watched Ogilvy play a casual round for the Golf Channel on Playing Lessons and he was wearing shorts with an untucked puma polo. He looked fine. Same went for Ian Poulter, I have seen TW in clips wearing an untucked polo, shorts and his hat on backwards while playing a practice round near his home. Pretty sure they are scratch or better. Just saying.
  • Ham SoloHam Solo I'm watching you! Members Posts: 1,082
    I always have my shirt tucked in while playing.
  • finalistfinalist MASHED POTATO! Members Posts: 5,411 ✭✭
    the older I get the more tucked I become.
    Many Byron Putters
    Scratch Don Whites
    Scratch Jeff McCoys
    WITB Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file