Peak Performance golf swing.....legit???

Ok....so maybe I am a sucker, but I am intrigued by the "peak performance" golf swing taught by Don Trahan and used by D.J. Trahan on tour. Anyone tried/use this??? What do you think??? How are your results?? Worth a shot for a frustrated golfer or just another dead end and waste of time and money? Thanks, your input is appreciated.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I have been trying it based on the 10 videos. I am trying it because of recurring pain in ribs and back with my rotary swing. In very general terms it is basically an upright swing, centered and stable head, pre-set weight to the right foot.

It is not shorter for me, but is longer. Considering I just started using it, I am shooting as well or better with it. I believe I will ultimately be straighter. It is dynamite with 8 iron on down.

May not be for everyone - may help to be flexible in the shoulder sockets - but it does seem to do what he advertises.

I like his off-center point of view and presentations as well.

Try it. What the heck.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

• 1 month later...

I looked at the series of free videos emailed to me then bought the digital download version for its advertised half price.
*Note: you pay extra for hardcopy DVD's so be sure that the digital download is what you want when you click the half-off link. I wanted the hardcopy but later found I didn't want any of it.

Me: 6 hcp. Playing over 40 years. Traditional swing learned when young and maintained thru the years.
Two spine surgeries. One lower back, one neck fusion. Long term back problems.

Comments on the Peak Performance Don Trahan lessons.

The bad.
1. I wasted my money. Another swing gimmick, angle.
2. The guy has an irritating squeaky pushy voice and delivery that can get old after awhile. Kinda like someone selling "Sham Wow" or "Slicer Dicers" at a trade show.
3. Encourages a steep limited turn swing which is not quite the swing that he shows which is a bit more like what a "stocky" person's swing plane would be with a traditional swing.
4. It's taken me years and a lot of work to be sure to not get too steep. Personally, this method would get me right back into that short choppy yanky vertical plane swing. Nope.

The good.
1. I think most everyone would benefit by having a solid 3/4 swing groove. More control with little loss of distance. Better ball contact. However, any swing, traditional or otherwise can be shortened to 3/4 without changing the whole works to Trahan's swing.
2. A limited turn 3/4 vertical swing might be good for those with limited range of motion or poor fitness and flexibility. But then again, any style swing that's shortened up is beneficial.
3. Again, I've had two spine surgeries, one a neck fusion, and Trahan's swing groove can be comfortable, but so can a traditional 3/4 swing done smoothly and correctly.
4. The purchase price was not a bank breaker, though a satisfaction guarantee or full money back in 30 days (Like a "sham wow" towel) would show a lot of confidence in the product.

Verdict: Swing correctly, smoothly, good tempo, stretch, stay fit, shorten it up as needed, and a good ole traditional timeless Senior PGA or LPGA tour swing is just fine. No need for shortcuts or gimmicks.

Hope this helps others. I'm not a golf teacher or "expert". Your mileage may vary.

Mahalo from Hawaii.
AlohaJim :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

I can't resist anything that I think might improve my game and am a sucker for swing theory differing from the beaten path. I took up golf in my very late teens, "progressed" into my 20s and got my handicap down to 7. Joined the military and spent many many years playing golf maybe once or twice annually....my last stretch was 5 years with no golf. I'm a short guy and my standard swing is traditional rotational swing etc. Well...here I am 18 years later (since my teen years) and I went and played a round for 1st time in 5 years....shot an 87 on a crappy base course but got the bug again...and wanted to get back to old "form". So here I am starting again after that first round and I ran into the Peak Performance swing.

I've never been a great swinger/ball striker but I've always been a very solid "golfer". At my best I could beat people with FAR superior swings/ball striking ability only because I had a natural instinct to get the ball in the hole regardless of what I brought to the course that day. So basically my last round I scraped it around the course but along the way regained my love for the game and the fun with friends...I say all this to establish the frame of reference from where my opinions come from.

So...Peak Performance golf...here's my experience with it. I paid my money which got me access to watch or download the videos. I downloaded vids and made DVDs without issue. Watched the DVDs and there's no denying the mechanics explained are completely logical. Mr. Trahan isn't the greatest speaker but his enthusiasm for what he does more than makes up for it. And, lets face it...he's teaching you the swing he taught his kid (DJ Trahan) as a youngster who had a great amateur/collegiate career and is now a PGA touring pro, with 2 wins and currently in the top 10 in PGA tour driving distance. So, this stuff about the method not producing pure power (when mastered by someone talented) doesn't appear to be based on any logic.

So...here I am with the swing technique that can "be grooved after a couple of buckets of balls" and boom 1st shot with a 9iron felt weird but I looked up and it was straight and serviceable...hmmmm I thought...very interesting. Then I proceeded to hit more and more...again the results were more than serviceable and oddly...same distance with my previous mechanics although higher trajectory than I like....so more of the same up to 7-iron on first 100 ball bucket. I went home and thought about it (as I can't stop thinking) watched again and realized that my grip, despite the clear lessons of Don, was very weak as required in my rotational swing to keep from hooking so I practiced in my home for hours getting the feel of a stronger grip. Next morning went to the range and BAM!, I was nailing short irons with that goofy little swing much farther and straighter than my previous swing. I shot the pins with my Bushnell range finder and was flying to and sometimes over the pin 129 out into a pretty stiff wind. Guy next to me stopped and watched and asked what I was hitting and didn't seem happy to hear it. It was very very easy to hit straight, I was peppering the flag. I tried my fav club/condition (3-wood off the deck) and then the fun stopped. I had difficulty applying the concepts to the longer club....stronger grip had me hooking so bad I needed a pimp. As I got further from the ball I could not help but revert to my old methodology/concept of action and the two methods to not mesh.

Had a prearranged tee time 2 days later...my 2nd round in 5 years and was very nervous because I felt torn between two swing mechanical theories and not sure what to commit to. Skins and pride were at stake! lol. Played Mountain Course at Angel Park in Las Vegas. With that goofy little swing (and old swing w/3-wood and Driver) I shot an 87 from the tips with FIVE three-puts :-( , 1 hazard drop after a drive, and 2 shanks on delicate lob wedge attempt (ugh).

Bought and d/l'ed the 2nd series regarding the Driver that has his son DJ Trahan in it and I think I'm ready to commit to the whole shabang, it's ridiculously simple, more than serviceable and once grooved will serve you well into your 60s without any issues as proven by Mr. Trahan.

BUT, the key is you have to THINK about what ur being asked to do and drop old habits tied to your old method to make a fair assessment. The grip and set-up are key to make it work (as with any other swing method). Even now (well an hour ago), I realized my distance from the ball at setup was what I would use for my old swing which should be corrected to use Trahans method so I'm anxious to see the results later today.

I'm a traditionalist, still play with blades cuz I love the look and feel, but in todays game with the new light equipment, the rotational leverage generating swing is becoming a thing of the past. Mike Maves (sevam1)'s e-book (page 68) clearly describes how the new equipment can make the methods of Hogan or Moe Norman virtually impossible to implement. So to summarize (my apologies for the many digressions), the Trahan method is sound if you follow IT'S principles, it's not quackery, and in the hands of the truly talented--it wouldn't keep you from being a touring pro. For anyone approaching 40....it is definitely worth exploring. Hope this feedback helps.

• 2 months later...

I have been playing around with this swing for a week or so now and I like the feed back I'm getting from my ball flight. I have always had a flatter swing so this felt like a MAJOR change for me. However, it really does come easy if you follow all of the instructions....especially the setup principles. I'm not sure if this is a keeper swing for me but it certainly has helped me get my plane a little more upright. I find Don Trahan amusing and you can tell he loves the game and instruction and he TRULY believes everything he is teaching. Also, it is easier on the back. So far, I'm pleased with my purchase and look forward to dialing it in a bit more.

Right now, they are running a special where you pay something like $60 and if you aren't satisfied, you can get your money returned within the first year for whatever reason. Tough to beat that.

"Excuses are the nails that build the house of failure."

• 4 months later...

[quote name='gilceezy' timestamp='1275416069' post='2480267']
I can't resist anything that I think might improve my game and am a sucker for swing theory differing from the beaten path. I took up golf in my very late teens, "progressed" into my 20s and got my handicap down to 7. Joined the military and spent many many years playing golf maybe once or twice annually....my last stretch was 5 years with no golf. I'm a short guy and my standard swing is traditional rotational swing etc. Well...here I am 18 years later (since my teen years) and I went and played a round for 1st time in 5 years....shot an 87 on a crappy base course but got the bug again...and wanted to get back to old "form". So here I am starting again after that first round and I ran into the Peak Performance swing.

I've never been a great swinger/ball striker but I've always been a very solid "golfer". At my best I could beat people with FAR superior swings/ball striking ability only because I had a natural instinct to get the ball in the hole regardless of what I brought to the course that day. So basically my last round I scraped it around the course but along the way regained my love for the game and the fun with friends...I say all this to establish the frame of reference from where my opinions come from.

So...Peak Performance golf...here's my experience with it. I paid my money which got me access to watch or download the videos. I downloaded vids and made DVDs without issue. Watched the DVDs and there's no denying the mechanics explained are completely logical. Mr. Trahan isn't the greatest speaker but his enthusiasm for what he does more than makes up for it. And, lets face it...he's teaching you the swing he taught his kid (DJ Trahan) as a youngster who had a great amateur/collegiate career and is now a PGA touring pro, with 2 wins and currently in the top 10 in PGA tour driving distance. So, this stuff about the method not producing pure power (when mastered by someone talented) doesn't appear to be based on any logic.

So...here I am with the swing technique that can "be grooved after a couple of buckets of balls" and boom 1st shot with a 9iron felt weird but I looked up and it was straight and serviceable...hmmmm I thought...very interesting. Then I proceeded to hit more and more...again the results were more than serviceable and oddly...same distance with my previous mechanics although higher trajectory than I like....so more of the same up to 7-iron on first 100 ball bucket. I went home and thought about it (as I can't stop thinking) watched again and realized that my grip, despite the clear lessons of Don, was very weak as required in my rotational swing to keep from hooking so I practiced in my home for hours getting the feel of a stronger grip. Next morning went to the range and BAM!, I was nailing short irons with that goofy little swing much farther and straighter than my previous swing. I shot the pins with my Bushnell range finder and was flying to and sometimes over the pin 129 out into a pretty stiff wind. Guy next to me stopped and watched and asked what I was hitting and didn't seem happy to hear it. It was very very easy to hit straight, I was peppering the flag. I tried my fav club/condition (3-wood off the deck) and then the fun stopped. I had difficulty applying the concepts to the longer club....stronger grip had me hooking so bad I needed a pimp. As I got further from the ball I could not help but revert to my old methodology/concept of action and the two methods to not mesh.

Had a prearranged tee time 2 days later...my 2nd round in 5 years and was very nervous because I felt torn between two swing mechanical theories and not sure what to commit to. Skins and pride were at stake! lol. Played Mountain Course at Angel Park in Las Vegas. With that goofy little swing (and old swing w/3-wood and Driver) I shot an 87 from the tips with FIVE three-puts :-( , 1 hazard drop after a drive, and 2 shanks on delicate lob wedge attempt (ugh).

Bought and d/l'ed the 2nd series regarding the Driver that has his son DJ Trahan in it and I think I'm ready to commit to the whole shabang, it's ridiculously simple, more than serviceable and once grooved will serve you well into your 60s without any issues as proven by Mr. Trahan.

BUT, the key is you have to THINK about what ur being asked to do and drop old habits tied to your old method to make a fair assessment. The grip and set-up are key to make it work (as with any other swing method). Even now (well an hour ago), I realized my distance from the ball at setup was what I would use for my old swing which should be corrected to use Trahans method so I'm anxious to see the results later today.

I'm a traditionalist, still play with blades cuz I love the look and feel, but in todays game with the new light equipment, the rotational leverage generating swing is becoming a thing of the past. Mike Maves (sevam1)'s e-book (page 68) clearly describes how the new equipment can make the methods of Hogan or Moe Norman virtually impossible to implement. So to summarize (my apologies for the many digressions), the Trahan method is sound if you follow IT'S principles, it's not quackery, and in the hands of the truly talented--it wouldn't keep you from being a touring pro. For anyone approaching 40....it is definitely worth exploring. Hope this feedback helps.
[/quote]

I tried making DVD's from the videos but it didn't work, how did you go about it.
Thanks Dennis

• 2 years later...

[quote name='prscustom222' timestamp='1245128546' post='1758077']
Ok....so maybe I am a sucker, but I am intrigued by the "peak performance" golf swing taught by Don Trahan and used by D.J. Trahan on tour. Anyone tried/use this??? What do you think??? How are your results?? Worth a shot for a frustrated golfer or just another dead end and waste of time and money? Thanks, your input is appreciated.
[/quote]

Old post but people still surf.

I spent the winter reading about 80-100 golf books with intentions of leaving no stone unturned in my quest to solve my swing.

I spend a few months trying to perfect the rotary around the body flattish swing this spring because Hogan and Moe Norman used it. (One plane swing, X-factor, Modern swing and various other names) I gave up because it simply violates all of my body/nurology traits.

I also tried the hitting stroke vs the swinging stroke with poor results

I finally conclude that for me the best results are obtained from a two plane upright swing (actual swing with no hitting hand action) The results are vastly better. I will be bouncing balls off the target with the upright swing while spraying balls all over the place with the flat, one plane, etc swing.

So I too am very interested in exploring the Don Trahan upright swing variation. It appears from my limited fluency with his swing that it is basically what I am doing anyway but I have more hip rotation. My pattern is the Jim Hardy 2 plane swing.

As a always previously sore-back golfer, the Trahan swing has kept me in the game. I do caution some whose upper body is not used to it - your front shoulder/upper delt region into the rotator cuff will take some more torque. Essentially, by moving abit less lower body (it's not huge), you end up making up that swingspeed in a downward shoulder/arms attack. Feels like I made a more emphasized pivot area up there - luckily, I lift weights alot!

For me, it is working great with irons, very well with hybrids and 3 woods off a tee. Pretty good with driver. And, I actually migrated totally away from the Trahan method into Clement for 4-5 mos. That was mainly due to driver and long clubs from fairway length results.

Early summer, moved out of Clement which ultitmately really accentuated my Trahan swing, I really swing up and thru the ball area better. With the Driver, I found I had one change that made it work in the vertical swing - [b]I hover the club at address[/b]. Of course, as ppgs recommends, I also play my drivers cut down (and SW adjusted) at about 43.5-44 in. each.

I can only draw or fade my Driver or 3W off the tee in this swing, but my other shots are laser straight. My back now luvs golf.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

• 1 month later...

Trying to find out who is using this method and how it is working for you.

I know this is not for everyone and some will probably think it is gimmick or snake oil. I started using Don's swing method, bought tapes and watch a bunch on U-Tube, and I am convinced that it works. I really don't have any issues with my body but I believe that is will probably keep me from from injuries from swinging the golf club in the coming years. I am 62 and been playing only 5 years and 4 weeks ago shot my best score of 79. I hit my irons better and I can drive the ball further. I gained at least 20 yards on my drive, Titleist 913D didin't hurt either. I am not trying to push this method on anyone but for those getting a little age and those that are about to give up on golf, I believe it is worth trying.

Ping G400 Max Driver
Callaway Mavrik Max 5 Wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 4/5/6 Hybrids
Callaway Mavrik Max Irons 7-PW

Cleveland 48*, 52*, 56* CBX2 Wedges
Callaway 60* Sure Out Wedge

Odyssey Eleven Lined Putter

Titleist AVX Ball

JumboMax Ultralite XS Grips

I've been using the PPGS for about 3 years now. I've taken a few lessons with a local instructor who was PPGS certified, and a couple all-day group (3-4 players) lessons with Dave Seeman, one of Don's teachers - both have helped a lot.

I found Don's stuff when I did a net search for "back exercises for golfers." His method was supposedly good for various problems including a bad back, and i have found that to be the case (I have 2 herniated lumbar discs).

I started with the videos (bought during one of the many specials they run during the year, so they weren't full price), but I found that having someone who knows the method and can watch what you are doing and make corrections as needed really helps.

I'm hitting the ball pretty well (for me, anyway) using his method. I was more of a rotational swinger 20 years ago and hit the ball ok then, too, but I think I am more consistent now.

I know Don used to have the 2 buckets comment, but that's only if you are very detailed and focused, and can easily abandon old ways. Otherwise, I think it takes quite a bit longer and one needs to be focused and spend some consistent time at applying the method and avoiding old habits - probably no different than any other swing change, actually.

I have been studying this swing for awhile, and experimenting with it. It seems to make some sense and it is probably somewhat easier on the body. For anyone who has struggled with a flatter type of swing, it probably would be very worthwhile to take a good look at it. It would take some getting used to because it is much different than other types of swings being taught today. I have been playing steadily for over 13 years and for the most part with a flatter swing, have had reasonable success with it (currently an 8.7 index) but have never been able to get the right elbow in the proper position because the left arm locks up, have some flexibility issues. Have also had the problem of getting the right arm stuck behind the body. So, a limited turn vertical backswing makes some sense for some people. Take a look at Jeff Sluman's swing, or Inbee Park, two very good examples of it. They both use this kind of swing and both have done well with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a 62-year old golfer, 4-5 handicap, who really started struggling with hitting my irons. With some flexibility issues and after months of trying different solutions, some of those attempted fixes with the help of PGA pros, I decided to try this swing out about 2 weeks ago. That's not much time to really guage the long term effectiveness, but here are my first impressions after signing up and going through the videos online.

What I liked was immediate success in making solid contact with all of my clubs. I seem to pull a few irons every round, and every once in a while a slice with my driver, but I was at least getting the center of the clubface on the ball again. That felt great. Over the past year, I seemed to have lost about 10 yards with all of my clubs (from 145yd 8-iron to 135yd 8 iron). I haven't noticed that I've gained any of that distance back with the new swing, nor have I lost any. Of course, that could change as I become more comfortable with the swing. Right now, I still have to think of the "basic parts" when I stand over the ball - concentrating on getting the swing path outlined in the videos. It is very vertical, but that isn't a huge change for me. I've always had a somewhat upright swing. Golfers moving from a flatter swing to this new one, might struggle more than I have (maybe not).

I've played five rounds over the past two weeks and have seen enough good results that I'm going to stick with it. If you decide to try it, pay careful attention to what he says about controlling the position of the club with the right hand on your downswing. You really have to keep the club in a vertical position as you start down and not allow the club to drop behind you into a layed off position. I [u]think[/u] that's the factor that's led to my occasional slices with the driver and longer clubs.

While I've tried to incorporate the grip, setup and ball position that he discusses, I'm sure that's an area that I'll need to look at more carefully over the next few weeks. It's hard to make all of the changes at once, which is why I concentrated on swing path as my starting point.

Hope that helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used this swing for years and really love it. They are several keys to it, but simple. One is keeping your left knee from bending toward your right knee during the back swing. I can drive it decently. Go to the website swingsurgeon.com website for the free videos and give it a try. It's great not having to take two Advil after playing. I highly recommend it.

• 1 year later...

I think the swing is legit. I have not purchased any vides or newletters or books, just watched youtube. My thoughts about the golf swing. There are 100 ways to hit the golf ball. rotational, stack and tilt, natural golf. gravity swing etc etc. The thing to remember each one has its benefits and problems. If this swing is not working for you then you are running into the problems that can come up (when you dont understand it)like to much rotation, bad grip, or wrist action or whatever. What is great about this swing is he has so many vides that address the problems that can come up and they are on youtube. Starting out I did not understand what he was saying (yes I know I am an idiot) Now after a month of practice with it I am see some real benefits. Now I am thinking how simple this swing really is. What I have learned is that I had lost a lot of distance with cupping my wrist. Don says the best wrist action is no wrist action. So this is huge and goes against a lot of instructors. But for me I am getting great distance along with striaigher shots. I think whatever golf swing floats your boat you have to commmit to it and you have to also understand the problems that show up. For all you lovers of rotational swing. You only need to look at what swings have there players go in for back and knee surgery. Yes rotational does work but there is a price for that swing. I think vertical swing is better for the body. Good luck and it is nice to have options.

these are 2 vids that solved some problems I had with his swing.

[b] Lower Hand Release Drills [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbWBT1VAEo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbWBT1VAEo[/url][/b]

[b] The Book Drill Will Help You Keep Your Wrist Flat[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEXg2te1kLE"] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEXg2te1kLE[/url][/b]

[color=#800080]That guy talks too much for me , but i am nots sure he even gave a drill in the *Lower Hand Release Drills* video. I may also be blind , but that guy is rotating in his swing. He also is using wrist *action* whether he likes it or not. He may not believe in teaching peoples to manipulate with wrists.[/color]

• 3 years later...

I am using this swing again, at least when I can get back. It is body friendly and easy. It is legit. Dave Seeman is another pro who has videos out on youtube. He worked with Trahan for years.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

If you played a round with Don and watched him strike the ball you’d at least respect if not believe The guy is a stick in every sense of the word. See his tournament record and years as a pga master in below link. Better resume than 99 % of teachers out there. His ideas aren’t for everyone. And in person he’s not a guy who pushes his way or no way. But , It is a simple swing that will work for the rotationally challenged etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Trahan

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock