2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

WOW....Incredible new driver test coming

Hifade

The "Big 6" and many others to follow.
Okay guys, here goes. Available soon, on DVD, is a new series featuring the most comprehensive clubtest of all time. The first in the series is the initial driver test. It features many variations of the "big five" OEMs available drivers. By "big five" I mean Titleist, TaylorMade, Cleveland, PING and Callaway. Featured are most all of the different loft and shaft flex combos while performing at different swing speeds (75 to 120 in 5 mph increments).

Every driver combo has been struck several times on the toe, center of the clubface and the heel to determine distance (or loss of), dispersion on off center hits, smash factor, launch angle, ball speed, spin rates and several other datapoints the most advanced launch monitor measures. All the tests were performed with the subjectiveness removed by using only Iron Byron, and done in a controled enviroment so the data is emperical and reflects 3rd party, non biased results ONLY. It has been filmed, is currently being edited and will be available on DVD very soon. You'll see how each driver performs and compares, as well as, the entire testing process. You'll see interviews with the experts at the testing facitity that provide insight as to how you can best utilize this info for yourself. In addition, it features a complex comparison detailing the performance of these clubs and what works best at varying swing speeds. You can compare your driver's performance or evalute what would be best if you're in the market for a new one. It will also educate people as to why this info is important and how you can best use it if you don't have access to a launch monitor or have time to actually test every club for yourself (which none of us have). Next in the series is the second driver test featuring the remaining top 10 driver companies, the iron test, the FW test, the hybrid test, the wedge test, the putter test and the ball test.

Here's where you fit in.....Do you think the "big five" OEM's drivers make up the majority of drivers sold....and what percent? What other information would you like to see? What would be of value to you in determining what's best for you? Finally, would you be interested in this DVD? Think of how you can fit yourself and potentially save money by finally purchasing what will perform best for you rather than going through several drivers only to settle on something. The best part is; even for a few bucks in shipping and handling...this DVD will be FREE.

Post your thoughts or PM me. I'm helping this company so need everyone's input. This has been a huge undertaking, will continue to be as more of the volumes are rolled out. If you're interested, and I can't imagine why you wouldn't be, let me know because I'll be able to get them soon (about 6 weeks).

Thanks.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great point....I know they have debated that very issue. An interactive CD may be the decided medium choice upon replication. Also, a downloadable feature will be available on their website when brought up. The reason for an actual "disc" is because there will be redeemable coupons in the "disc" if the person decides to actually purchase a club(s) at some point. So you'll get $$$'s off your purchase too from a selected retailer(s). It's a no lose situation for the consumer the way I see it.

sounds pretty cool.

What is the point of a dvd? I think that it would probably serve the purpose just as well if it were a downloadable video. It might take some extra editting, but I think it would save you overhead as well as get out to more people.

Not only would I be interested in the free driver DVD, I'm pretty sure I'd pay a reasonable price for it as well if it's as comprehensive as you describe. If paying for it, I'd prefer to have most of the available OEM and prominant component driver heads included. If the ensuing equipment tests are as comprehensive and demonstrably unbiased I would be willing to pay for a subscription to this series if the group performing these tests considers regularly testing new equipment releases.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

I know they figure most enthusiasts would pay a fair price and the subscription service will happen. I believe they want to build the brand and get it into as many hands as possible from the start. With that said, it will still be FREE but they will charge the S&H to get it to you and the coupons inside will make up for the S&H.

It is as comprehensive as mentioned. In addition, like you suggested, the other drivers are scheduled for testing too. The problem is it took 2 straight weeks, of all day testing, just t do the first five mentioned because there were so many combos to do at so many swing speeds. The process takes a great deal of time but they plan to do EVERY club. I'm told it will then be updated on a yearly basis at minimum. Should be really informative and eliminate a lot of the marketing hype while providing alot of insight for the savy club junkie to the guy just interested in making the right purchase and saving a few bucks along the way. Any way you slice it, it is much better than the subjective reviews found in the major golf trade pubs on a yearly basis and provides way more of the usable data rather than a few guys opinions.

Not only would I be interested in the free driver DVD, I'm pretty sure I'd pay a reasonable price for it as well if it's as comprehensive as you describe. If paying for it, I'd prefer to have most of the available OEM and prominant component driver heads included. If the ensuing equipment tests are as comprehensive and demonstrably unbiased I would be willing to pay for a subscription to this series if the group performing these tests considers regularly testing new equipment releases.

Their plans are to make them available everywhere. I'll get a shipping price to ship it to you. PM me your address.

I would love to get my hands on one of those dvd's. Do they ship to Germany?

Best wishes,

Nille

Sounds like a great product, perfect someone like me that is looking into a new driver, but doesn't have the time or place to hit all the drivers that I might want. Keep us updated on how to get one.

Cobra Fly Z, Fubuki
Cobra Fly Z 3 wood
18 Cobra DWS
PING Rapture Hy 21
PING G series 5-pw
PING Glide 56
Odyssey Milled #9

R,

It was all done by robotics. This way they say that every swing was identical and that they left no variable to chance. What distinguished the benchmark was the swing speeds and the on-center and off-center strikes. Afterall, that's the best way to fit for club and shaft....not by handicap the way the trade pubs review clubs every year. The only reference the mags ever give you is to try to match up with a tester near your handicap. As we all know, that's very ineffecient, not to mention very inconsistent. In addition, this will also have great pics of the club, especally at address which you rarely get anywhere else. They used a "head cam" to get address shots from the eyes of the robot. Bottom line is, this is a completely objective release so you can make your choice based on data (and pics) alone.

Jim,

I think this is a great idea. I can remember buying the Golf Tips Magazine for the annual club reviews religiously. This is sort of like that but also compares objectively the performance. Did you say Iron Byron would do the swings?

Jim, this looks like something that should have been done years ago and best of all it's free. I'd love to get a copy of the DVD when it's available too.

This will be some great information and I think they should actually throw in some "off" brands just to see the differences vs the Big 5.

They are doing that but it will be on a second driver only disc because of the amount of time it takes just to evaluate a single club. They wanted to release the first disc because it's contents include 90% of all driver sales due to the big five OEM's. I'm told it will probably be six because they most likely will include Nike on the first disc too. I know the Sasquatch (and tour) were tested already. We'll see but it's all very cool.

Jim, this looks like something that should have been done years ago and best of all it's free. I'd love to get a copy of the DVD when it's available too.

This will be some great information and I think they should actually throw in some "off" brands just to see the differences vs the Big 5.

no nike? this isn't just the nike ho in me coming out. between the ignite and sasquatch they need to be in there too.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

A shaft comparison is imminent. That was actually going to be their first one released because it's simpler to do but the "sexiness" of the driver always reigns king so that's what they decided to move forward with first. It's about widespread distribution right at the beginning.

I'll confirm this week but I'm told about 6 weeks for availability. I'll share the details when they become available this week. Loads of PM's and posts so far so to keep it straight for everyone, please send me your name, address, phone and e-mail either via PM or to [email protected] if interested. Also, overseas members, I'll get shipping quotes to you asap.

Thx, Cardo

I think this is a wonderful item you came up with an would love to have one. I have always had better luck out of the Cobra drivers. I guess because they are more forgiving to my swing. Sure wish they were in the test but I am open to anything that will help. I have been thinking about different shafts so the test of the shafts would really help me aslo. The problem I see with that is what one shaft does in one head may not be the same in another. it will get you started though.

I'd love a copy, if it isn't too much of a hassle.

Question though, which drivers were tested? I saw the list of OEM's, I was wondering if it is the latest models, prototypes, or if there is any comparison to older models, which would be interesting - see how they perform on center hits vs. off center hits, and see where the REAL difference between new and old drivers is.

What purpose is varying the swing speeds by 5 mph over that range? Too close together to generate a significant spread with ball to ball variation. I've seen numbers on the repeatability of Iron Byron and 5 mph increments certainly stress the calibration capabilities of the machine. Check what the repeatability as a function of variation of reading (1/8% of reading for example)---tough to believe they can rely on that close an increment to show increasing or decreasing trends. I would suspect that while the test would be interesting reading it would be statistically lacking from what I am reading. Plus what are they doing to insure ball to ball variation is removed? Plus I believe if you check sales volumes that Cobra is among the leaders. The others certainly represent tour presence but not necessarily sales volumes in total.