2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I NEED NEW GOLF CLUBS

uscbound71

HELPPPP
Im a 16 year old teenager that has been playing golf for 3 years. i have become very good at golf, i shoot about 75-78 on a tough golf course. I currently play the 2007 Cobra FP irons but i feel like I need new irons. The FP's are way to beefy for my tastes and yes they were great when i first got them but now I feel like I can move on to a newer and more of a "player" club like a set of Titleist, Mizuno, or Callaway so i can have more workability.
But the only problem is that my parents ARE NOT willing to fork over the cash needed for new clubs even though we are not hurting for cash so money is not an issue they just think i dont need new irons and that my current set is fine. :russian_roulette:
and i cant get a job because i have school, asb, golf practice, and early college classes so can anyone help me with some reasons to help me convince my parents. this forum is meant to be serious and I really need help with this please guys thanks!!!

-DS

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a set of s57, ping of course

[size=2]G25 8.5° phenom NL 60 s[/size]
[size=2]xcg7 13° fuel ts 70 s[/size]
[size=2]G20 16.5° nvs 85 s tipped 1.75"[/size]
[size=2]G20 3,4,5 & 6 hybrids nv 105 s[/size]
[size=2]G25 7-u irons s300 ssx1 +1"[/size]
[size=2]EYE XG s & l wedges 8 iron x100[/size]
[size=2]G2 ally c ss fatso 5.0[/size]

What's in it for them? Come up with something that you'll do for the new irons. It could be yard/house work, something else you know they want, etc. You don't need new irons, you want them. Maybe set it up as a christmas or birthday present. The one thing that you'll learn as you grow older is just because the cash is there doesn't mean it's for spending.

Offer to do stuff around the house for money. Mow the yard, wash the cars, clean out the garage.etc. Tell them that if you don't make straight A's they can take them back. Just let them know that you are willing to do something in return, and will work hard. Just make sure you follow through with your commitments.

[quote name='highergr0und' post='1964781' date='Sep 21 2009, 07:34 PM']What's in it for them? Come up with something that you'll do for the new irons. It could be yard/house work, something else you know they want, etc. You don't need new irons, you want them. Maybe set it up as a christmas or birthday present. The one thing that you'll learn as you grow older is just because the cash is there doesn't mean it's for spending.[/quote]
totally agree with you about trying to set it up as a christmas gift. but im not trying to get a new set just because the money is there. i truly feel that i could benefit from more of a "player" club for more workability and a heavier shaft so i can control my shots more but still have some forgiveness

[quote name='99andaflake' post='1964795' date='Sep 21 2009, 07:41 PM']If you want more of a 'players' club, buying new clubs isn't the only option. Have a look at second hand sets. If you sell the cobras you are likely to offset most of the cost anyway.[/quote]

ya i thought about buying a used set from GOLFSMITH or Callaway golf preowned and outlet because they are premium used golf clubs for half price and they also refurbish the golf clubs before turning around and selling back to the public

You want a great, cheap players club? Look at the Macgregor Pro C's that pop up on the BST. I've seen a few sets this week for right around $200. Convince your parents to get them and then sell the Cobras. You should be able to net $110-135 after shipping on them. That might be worth it for them.

I am also a student and in a similar situation to you. I would be willing to put money on the fact that you could give up some of your weekend (you can't be THAT busy) to work part time at Fred Meyer, QFC, etc.

If you show your parents that you are willing to give up some of your time on weekends to make some money, they would probably go halfsies with you towards some new clubs. Plus you could work for a month to raise enough to add to your sold clubs, then quit if you really don't have the time.

[quote name='highergr0und' post='1964810' date='Sep 21 2009, 07:48 PM']You want a great, cheap players club? Look at the Macgregor Pro C's that pop up on the BST. I've seen a few sets this week for right around $200. Convince your parents to get them and then sell the Cobras. You should be able to net $110-135 after shipping on them. That might be worth it for them.[/quote]

Agree with highergr0und.

Cobra FP resale value:
[url="http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/product_type/205/brand/2678/model/46853/shaft_type/2/show_details/0/tab/resale/p/Iron%20set/b/Cobra/m/FP"]http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/prod...et/b/Cobra/m/FP[/url]

Handicap:  3

You menitoned Mizuno. They are great clubs. Most clubs on the market are good these days. Its all about confidence. Get fitted at a couple of different golf stores if possible. The reason I suggest this is this way, its like going to a doctor and getting different opinions. Some might say this could add confusion. It may, but understand that you are making your choice. Not the retail sales person.
If possible, get fitted by a PGA pro at one of these stores. The fitting may be better.
If there is a PGA pro available, see if you can take some lessons from him first, so he gets to know your game a little better.
You are in control of the decision. Take your time about the choice, its a marathon, not a sprint.
As far a paying for the clubs, you might want to consider buying used clubs. If you get an allowance, save the $ and don't spend it on questionable items. If you are as good as you say you are, talk about joining the golf team at your highschool with the goal of getting a golf scholarship. This could save your parents $. It may peak their interest. College vs golf clubs. And be serious (focus) about golf too. Show it and live it.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='uscbound71' post='1964707' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:06 PM']Im a 16 year old teenager that has been playing golf for 3 years. i have become very good at golf, i shoot about 75-78 on a tough golf course. I currently play the 2007 Cobra FP irons but i feel like I need new irons. The FP's are way to beefy for my tastes and yes they were great when i first got them but now I feel like I can move on to a newer and more of a "player" club like a set of Titleist, Mizuno, or Callaway so i can have more workability.
But the only problem is that my parents ARE NOT willing to fork over the cash needed for new clubs even though we are not hurting for cash so money is not an issue they just think i dont need new irons and that my current set is fine. :russian_roulette:
and i cant get a job because i have school, asb, golf practice, and early college classes so can anyone help me with some reasons to help me convince my parents. this forum is meant to be serious and I really need help with this please guys thanks!!!

-DS[/quote]

I could be wrong, but it sounds like your parents are trying to teach the value of money, hard work and such wishes come in due time. I support what your parents are doing, as I have a 17 year old boy.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

• 1 month later...

Nothing against you per say, but it's sad that this question has to be ask. I know what i did when i wanted something when i was younger.....i payed my parents rent for christ's sake.

You could work a month at a part time job and buy a NICE used set of clubs. My one request is if you get a job in the service industry don't have attitude when someone want's or asks you to do something.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to jump on the ban wagon but your parents are doing you a favor by telling you NO. I am 18 about to be 19 and reacted the same way at first. Until i recently understood what they were getting at about money management. I come from a farming family and we don't buy something new unless what we have is broke. I have bought all my clubs except a putter because the one a bought snapped when my bag fellover on concrete and i had a match in two days and had no cash. In the summer i worked ten plus hour days on the farm to earn money for golf to pay for the clubs that i was fitted for(thank god the head pro at my grandfathers club and i are good friends). Also this year in my first semester in college i worked at the golf course to have practice time so that i could have maybe a glimmer of playing on the team and possibly competing for a occasional spot to play next year and while i got all A's this semester. If you want something go get on your own it makes you like what have more then having it given to you. I don't mean to sound like a jerk just trying to enlighten you.

As far as the clubs go you should go for a set of Pings because they by far give the continued lasting value. When buying don't assume that your handicap indicates the need for blades or cut backs don't knock forgiveness w/ workability. The ping fitter who i would fully trust to put me in the best clubs possible and better then scratch around +1 or better plays G15 and forgiving clubs. I would recomend that you look at getting yourself a good set of i5's. The clubs are good and workable and the price is right. They can still be ordered through ping if i am not mistaken if you just call or ping a good set on ebay. If you are looking at wedges don't assume new vokeys are the thing Cleveland CG12 are cheap now and the are just as good

I'm sure you've had the issue resolved by now. But I'll add to the pile.

My parents bought me a complete set of Intech woods, irons, putter, and bag for christmas one year. Probably $150 total for them. I was more excited about that than probably any gift I've ever gotten.

Now, I used those clubs for all my years as the 4 man on my high school golf team. Sure all my buddies ragged on me, but I could still play with them and that's all that mattered to me. Slowly, I replaced the clubs. Some clubs I bought myself used, some I got from my parents as gifts, one that I won from a gracious member on here, and one that I got from a gracious member here (totally out of the blue, and I still play it).

Now, in all these cases, I never asked for a club from my parents when it was out of normal gift giving time. I believe the only club they ever bought for me was a used Cleveland Launcher 460 driver for X-mas. Cheap for them, worked for me, and I was happy.

Graduation rolled around, and you know what they got me? A brand new set of irons.

Moral of the story: Play hard with what you've got. A professional could shoot the same scores whether playing a cavity back or a blade. That being said, maybe you shoot the scores you do because of the cavities, and moving to a blade style iron may make your scores worse for a while. Just a thought ;)

"Not to jump on the ban wagon but your parents are doing you a favor by telling you NO. I am 18 about to be 19 and reacted the same way at first. Until i recently understood what they were getting at about money management. I come from a farming family and we don't buy something new unless what we have is broke. I have bought all my clubs except a putter because the one a bought snapped when my bag fellover on concrete and i had a match in two days and had no cash. In the summer i worked ten plus hour days on the farm to earn money for golf to pay for the clubs that i was fitted for(thank god the head pro at my grandfathers club and i are good friends). Also this year in my first semester in college i worked at the golf course to have practice time so that i could have maybe a glimmer of playing on the team and possibly competing for a occasional spot to play next year and while i got all A's this semester. If you want something go get on your own it makes you like what have more then having it given to you. I don't mean to sound like a jerk just trying to enlighten you."

Well said, congrats to your parents...Thier ideals and morals will serve you well for the rest of your life. As a dad of 3, times are tough, but we are doing ok. My kids are spoiled, yes. They know there is no money tree, and always work out a deal w/me. They have pt jobs, swim yearly for thier teams and all have excellent grades. All will be on some academic scholarship, Good for them. My only wish was to help them succeed and they are headed in the right direction. As for my young friend, it is not the parents responsiblity to provide stuff for thier kids, but to teach them how to provide for themselves. My advice, finish school, get a great career and start a family and those new clubs will never be a priority. Good luck.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

I mean you could EASILY sell those irons, and pick up a set of MacGregor Pro C or Pro C/M for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100-120 after its all said and done. These aren't some second rate irons either, they are a TREMENDOUS player's set. You could also pick up some Adams idea pros (also great) for a similar price. Look around, be smart, and then try and see if you can work out a deal with your parents for the remaining difference.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Whoever is saying ohh boy me or get a job to this kid and stop being a baby i think you are 90% wrong. He isnt crying about new clubs like any kid who is interested in golf new technology sparks us and hell he shoots 75 and is using Cobra thick FP irons! Its time he updates his bag as it could possibly help his game and open some doors. Yes its the Indian, but put the arrow on your side. As far as a job if your parents want you to take pre-college classes then they should make up for the money you lose from not working. I didnt take pre-college courses, am a finance major, and made deans list. I think you need to sit down with your parents compromise and find a way to get new clubs and get your future on the right track. Your parents are great for not spoiling you I have bought 90% of my golf clubs, but I also work in the summer and at college. So sit down with your parents put down pros and cons of everything and something will work out. As far as irons it might be weird to use player irons at first, but try some AP2 710's they still are decently thick for a players irons. Best of luck and play well!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

[quote name='TheKid17' date='21 September 2009 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1253587750' post='1964813']
I am also a student and in a similar situation to you. I would be willing to put money on the fact that you could give up some of your weekend (you can't be THAT busy) to work part time at Fred Meyer, QFC, etc.

If you show your parents that you are willing to give up some of your time on weekends to make some money, they would probably go halfsies with you towards some new clubs. Plus you could work for a month to raise enough to add to your sold clubs, then quit if you really don't have the time.
[/quote]

Quit after a MONTH!!!!!! That looks great on your resume for your next job. BTW get the 07 Callaway X-Forged on Callaway Preowned, wait for one of their iron promotions and get em. Great set of irons.

[quote name='mozgolf' date='12 January 2010 - 01:29 AM' timestamp='1263288545' post='2176493']
Earn them, ie. get a job. I am with your parents they have already laid out (I assume) a good chunk on your current bag. If they dont say no you will then need a new driver, the month after that your hybrid isnt quite right etc etc etc. Sorry to be hard assed but thats reality
[/quote]Try to fnd a set of 704 CB irons. Really nice, forged too! Should be able to find for cheap.

SLDR 10.5* UST VTS Silver 7x
RBZ Stage 2 14.5* BB 83X
RBZ Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid Fubuki AX
09 TP 2iron/2011 TP MC 5-PW DG X100
588 forged 54*, SM5 58.11* K
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

• 3 weeks later...