Dispute: Oakley Polarized Lenses

kevch25kevch25 Go Horns!Members Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
Please weigh in
I purchased a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets on this board from another member under the description of the sunglasses being Polarized. I have owned three polarized Oakley's in the past and they have all had the "Polarized" etched into the bottom of the left lense.

The sunglasses that the member shipped to me does not have the "Polarized" etched in the lense nor does it pass some of the simple tests to see if they are polarized (i.e. blacking out a computer screen at certain angles, etc).

If he does not believe my statement that all polarized oakleys are etched with the "polarized" lettering, can others please chime in so he can see that I do not have "buyer's remorse" as he is claiming?

Thanks.
TM R1 Oban Kiyoshi Gold
TM Stage 2 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
TM SLDR 21*
TM SLDR 4-PW
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.6
Fourteen Rm12 50.08*, 54.10* & 58.08*

Comments

• wheelerwheeler Members Posts: 132
    All oakley polarized lenses that I've seen (including the ones I use in my flak jackets) have "polarized" etched in the left lens. Sounds like the seller needs to make this right by you--either take them back or offer you money off the purchase price...
  • volrusvolrus Members Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    wheeler wrote on Oct 6 2009, 01:59 PM:
    All oakley polarized lenses that I've seen (including the ones I use in my flak jackets) have "polarized" etched in the left lens. Sounds like the seller needs to make this right by you--either take them back or offer you money off the purchase price...

I have the polarized lens in my Flaks and it does indeed say "polarized" in the bottom left.
  • H.A. KerrH.A. Kerr I'm almost 100% sure the word you want is "losing" Members Posts: 738
    Sticky situation.

I just went to Oakley's website. Looks like the Flak Jacket is available in both regular and polarized lenses (at a $45 premium).

Looks to me from the photos that the polarized models do indeed have the word "polarized" clearly etched onto the lower left of the left lens.

Side note: I think I've read polarized lenses aren't so good for golf. Don't wear sunglasses, so I wouldn't know from experience, though.

From Oakley.com:

Regular Flak Jacket

• ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    Call Oakley. (800) 403-7449

Personally I have never seen Oakley Polarized Lenses that were not laser etched. It could also be easy to tell as many of the lens tint were never offered in Polarized.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
  • jlin453jlin453 Members Posts: 169
    If you're not sure, just email Oakley's customer service. That's about as much "proof" as you can get for the seller.
    Driver: Adams 9015D 10.5*
    3 Wood: Nike T60 15*
    Hybrid: Titleist 913H 19*
    Irons: Mizuno MP58
    Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 52*, 56*, 60*
    Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Circa 62
  • TM golf guyTM golf guy Members Posts: 9,985
    I have Flak's and they say POLARIZED.
  • HungsoloHungsolo ClubWRX Posts: 553 ✭✭
    Doesn't matter what is etched. If it doesn't darken with rotation at an LCD screen, etc, it ain't polarized.

That being said, all Oakley lenses that I've ever had (Flak, HiJinx, Jawbone) have the laser etching when polarized.
  • kevch25kevch25 Go Horns! Members Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I will forward the seller to this thread and hopefully we can resolve it quickly. So far, this issue has been lingering for about 2-3 weeks.
    TM R1 Oban Kiyoshi Gold
    TM SLDR 21*
    TM SLDR 4-PW
  • kencanuckkencanuck Some one please remind me why I play this game!! ClubWRX Posts: 1,432 ClubWRX
    Just phoned a friend who used to own/operate a glasses shop (that carried numerous brands of sunglasses) and he had never seen a pair of polarized oakley's without the laser etching. He also reiterated the quick test one can do to prove they are polarized (he suggested a computer monitor but same as an LCD TV). I just tried it with my non-polarized oakley's and my polarized lenses and you definitely can tell the difference in how the screen looks.

Ken
    Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Epic SZ - M1 440 - F7+ w/ Some Shaft from the Collection<br /><br />F7+ w/ Fubuki ZT or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened - Seemore Giant M1t (when I can stand to look down at it!)<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW & Mizzy T7's<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff
  • TimeToFlyTimeToFly Members Posts: 686
    just read his FS ad and didnt notice anything about them being polarized in the description. did he tell you they were polarized in a PM or something?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=298401&hl=
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If not as descrd, cool seller always takes back. C'mon seller dude. Step up to the plate and do what's right.
    Ping G400 MAX 9 Aldila 125 MSI 70 x
    Ping G 14.5 3 wood Tour 80 Stiff
    Ping G Crossover 18  AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Ping G400 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2 50*
    Ping Glide 54*
    Cleveland 588 60
    TM Spider Tour 38
  • sosinsurrsosinsurr Banned Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Oct 6, 2009 #13
    Yes, the seller is me and yes I told him they were polarized cause I was told they were by the Oakley rep.

And yes, because I was told they were polarized, I expressed concern in one of my intitial PM's that it seemed like he might be having buyers remorse because I had been told by Oakley they were polarized.

And so I told Kevin that I would double check with the Oakley rep that I dealt with to double check, and that if it turned out that I was mis informed I would of course refund him in full 100%.

But when I contacted the rep, he told me only polarized lenses had been put out that day, but that he would double check that non-polarized were put out and that maybe I had gotten a pair. I still haven't heard back from him.

All I was doing was checking the facts, that's all. And I've kept him in the loop with EVERYTHING that's happened and what I was doing. Even after I hadn't talked with him in a few days, I PM'd him to let him know I had not forgotten about him, TRYING to let him know I wasn't going anywhere until resolved.
  • heybradyheybrady Members Posts: 1,826
    Cool for stepping up. Usually once these threads get started the seller goes AWOL.

Always two sides to a story...
  • mrbmrb Members Posts: 506
    Sounds logical to me.

And just for the record, you can custom order Oakleys, and if you so choose, you can have them custom laser etched. My polarized lenses are etched with my name. I could have just as easily opted for no etching, which would have given me polarized lenses with no etching....so it IS technically possible.
  • kevch25kevch25 Go Horns! Members Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sosinsurr wrote on Oct 6 2009, 09&#58;14 PM:
    Yes, the seller is me and yes I told him they were polarized cause I was told they were by the Oakley rep.

And yes, because I was told they were polarized, I expressed concern in one of my intitial PM's that it seemed like he might be having buyers remorse because I had been told by Oakley they were polarized.

And so I told Kevin that I would double check with the Oakley rep that I dealt with to double check, and that if it turned out that I was mis informed I would of course refund him in full 100%.

But when I contacted the rep, he told me only polarized lenses had been put out that day, but that he would double check that non-polarized were put out and that maybe I had gotten a pair. I still haven't heard back from him.

All I was doing was checking the facts, that's all. And I've kept him in the loop with EVERYTHING that's happened and what I was doing. Even after I hadn't talked with him in a few days, I PM'd him to let him know I had not forgotten about him, TRYING to let him know I wasn't going anywhere until resolved.

I agree you have tried to keep me in the loop on things, but I also must say it has been a pretty long process without any resolution from your rep yet either. I first PM'ed you when I received them about this fact on September 16th. My request is to return these Oakleys to you for a full refund and you can then work it out with your rep. They are not polarized in my book just by the simple tests I am able to do with them at home.
    TM R1 Oban Kiyoshi Gold
    TM SLDR 21*
    TM SLDR 4-PW
  • TimeToFlyTimeToFly Members Posts: 686
    i guess it is possible, but the buyer did state that the sunglasses failed the polarized tests. im sure it was just an honest mistake on the sellers part, but i think if the buyer wanted polarized lenses he should get a refund since they are not polarized.

btw, soinsurr, what happened to your other avatar? i always loved lookin at that one image/clapping.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':clapping:' />
  • ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    edited Oct 7, 2009 #18
    mrb wrote on Oct 7 2009, 08&#58;58 AM:
    Sounds logical to me.

And just for the record, you can custom order Oakleys, and if you so choose, you can have them custom laser etched. My polarized lenses are etched with my name. I could have just as easily opted for no etching, which would have given me polarized lenses with no etching....so it IS technically possible.

I just tried to do it through their Custom Order site and for polarized lenses you must either have custom etching or "POLARIZED" etched on the lens it can not be left blank.

I still don't see why the OP has not called Oakley to verify. Give them the 5 digit model number from inside the earstem xx-**** or describe the frame color and lens color and if it was a stock model they can tell you if that combination was ever offered in polarized.

I am guessing you didn't get the original packaging?

How can a rep tell you anything if he can't see the glasses or know what exact color combo you sold?

If the frames and lenses were mixed up or if it was a Custom order, it must have etching of some sort to be a polarized lens.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
  • jsanatxjsanatx God Bless Texas Members Posts: 1,974 ✭✭
    the seller already said he was willing to refund the money. i think its just a matter of following through now.

and yeah sosinsurr, what happended to your other avatar?
    917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
    Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
    Titleist 718 AP2s
    Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
    Vokey SM5 46*
    Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
    Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
    Vokey TVD 60*
    SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g
  • againstthegrainagainstthegrain Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
    Seller is needlessly delaying the resolution. The glasses have been proven to be not polarized and what some rep says was out on a table a few weeks ago is meaningless to the transaction at hand. I don't understand the hesitation to accept a return especially w the minimal shipping costs involved.
  • stpstp Members Posts: 981
    those are pretty clear photos on the listing and they clearly do not have polarized etched on the lens nor is polarized in the ad. Kev was looking for a super deal and now creating a hassle with seller for seller giving bad info on a on a pm. Kev wanted something that was not advertised. If seller had just said he did not know, then no problems.

I find it problematic that kev was looking for something that was not illustrated in the photos or ad and is now complaining that they are not as described. I put more fault on the buyer than seller.
  • nbaresejrnbaresejr Members Posts: 58
    If it does not say polarized they are not polarized. I have owned several pairs of oakleys all polarized and they are are etched. Seller needs to step up and issue a refund now. If stated they were polarized in a PM then the buyer thought he was buying polarized sunglasses; no matter what the listing showed in pictures.
    Current Gear:
    Big Bertha 10.5 w/ Fubuki ZT, XHot 3w
    Taylormade Burner 3H, 4H
    Cobra Baffler 5H, 6H
    Callaway X2 Hot 7-PW w/ Project X
    Callaway Jaws 52, 58, 62
  • dbren1dbren1 Members Posts: 225
    stp wrote on Oct 7 2009, 12&#58;53 PM:
    those are pretty clear photos on the listing and they clearly do not have polarized etched on the lens nor is polarized in the ad. Kev was looking for a super deal and now creating a hassle with seller for seller giving bad info on a on a pm. Kev wanted something that was not advertised. If seller had just said he did not know, then no problems.

I find it problematic that kev was looking for something that was not illustrated in the photos or ad and is now complaining that they are not as described. I put more fault on the buyer than seller.

Too many unknowns to determine fault IMO, e.g. if the seller had said 'the rep I got them from says they're polarized but I don't know for sure' would the buyer have completed the transaction? Would the seller have charged more if they knew they were polarized?
  • JohnnyJohnny Get Kwok'd Charter Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    stp wrote on Oct 7 2009, 09&#58;53 AM:

+1.. if this is how it went down... sorry buyer you are wrong.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
    Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
    Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
    Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
    Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• PondyPondy Sanibel Island, FL Members Posts: 2,496
    QUOTE (stp @ Oct 7 2009, 12:53 PM) *

It was a mistake. No one is 'at fault' here. Buyer asked if they were polarized, and Seller believed they were (based on his information), but that is apparently not the case.

Your conclusion is... hard to agree with... For instance, if I sell you a putter and I tell you in a PM that it is 35" long, and you buy it and discover it to be only 34", would it be your fault for believing me?
    Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
    Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
    5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
    Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
    Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
    Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
    Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
    Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
    Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
    Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
    Handicap 27.1
  • PondyPondy Sanibel Island, FL Members Posts: 2,496
    edited Oct 7, 2009 #26
    QUOTE (stp @ Oct 7 2009, 09:53 AM) *

-1 Read what the seller said

How exactly is the buyer wrong?

He asked a specific question and got a specific (but apparently incorrect answer). The first question I would ask about sun glasses is "Are they polarized?" I mean, come on!
    Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
    Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
    5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
    Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
    Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
    Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
    Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
    Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
    Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
    Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
    Handicap 27.1
  • JohnnyJohnny Get Kwok'd Charter Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pondude wrote on Oct 7 2009, 06&#58;36 PM:
    QUOTE (stp @ Oct 7 2009, 12:53 PM) *

It was a mistake. No one is 'at fault' here. Buyer asked if they were polarized, and Seller believed they were (based on his information), but that is apparently not the case.

Your conclusion is... hard to agree with... For instance, if I sell you a putter and I tell you in a PM that it is 35" long, and you buy it and discover it to be only 34", would it be your fault for believing me?

I said "if"..

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
    Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
    Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
    Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
    Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• heybradyheybrady Members Posts: 1,826
    Instead of going back and forth over this, why doesn't the buyer just put them back up for sale? Oakleys hold value so I'm sure he will get his money back.
  • 6keith6keith Members Posts: 171
    mine are etched image/busted2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted2:' />
  • jgonz69jgonz69 Members Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all my polarized oakeys are etched
    PXG 0811X 
    PING G400 3wd 14.5 Ping Tour 75
    PING G400 Hybrid Ping Tour 85
    PXG 0211 5-LW
    PXG Bat Attack H 
    Srixon Z-Star XV
  • Mr. HerbertMr. Herbert Members Posts: 822 ✭✭
    Johnny wrote on Oct 7 2009, 09&#58;04 PM:
    stp wrote on Oct 7 2009, 09&#58;53 AM:

How many people are even aware that all Oakley polarized lenses must have it etched? I never would have known that. The buyer asked a question about the glasses, and was given wrong information by the seller. I don't see how any rational person could think that the buyer was wrong in this case.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file