shaft change or swing change

krs1pitt

chicken or the egg type of question
Hitting the wall with my game lately and wanted to know if you thought I should get some lessons first, or get my clubs fitted? I've been playing off a set for a year and a half now that hasn't been 'fit' to my game and wanted to know which would be more beneficial first, especially with the large cost of reshafting a whole set the right way. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

with that being the case, is it standard to have a fitting session at $100. and a minimum for a shaft change in my irons for $40 a club? 115 for driver? just seems like alot to me, but it might simply be because I have never done it before. Also, do I gain anything in quality by going to a small business (more price) instead of a chain (maybe cheaper)?

my problem is an extremely high ball flight that only provides 180 of carry with a 3 iron, almost 20-30 yards shorter than the set I was using before this which leaves a large amout of distance between my 3 iron and 5 wood. want a more boring/pentrating ballflight that I have read the dg sl's or rifle flighted can provide to re-tweak my distances. also I am concerned I might have too stiff of shafts in all of my woods, back in the game 2 years now after taking off about 8 or so (now 25), handicap ranging from 18-24 (terrible, terrible putter and not very long after being very long as a teenager). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if I am off base with costs please let me know.

Ok, I would simply just purchase a set of shafts off golfsmith or something like that. Sounds like you may need TTDG S-300 or Rifle Flighted 5.0. I am not really sure what your swing spped is so I don't know. But if anything I would buy a set off there and then take them to someone to put it. It should not cost over a 150 and that seems high to me. I get me stuff done free but I talked to someone else and they said they would charge 200 and that was with them buying the shafts. I really think you wuold be better off just waiting on like a ping demo or something and have them fit you to a set. Odds are you are going to have about 300 in it all after it is said done reshafting them. Might just be better off to get fitted and trade your set in on a new set. Hope this was of some help.

Yeah, They will give you a good general fitting, make sure they have some type of device to measure your swing speed. Launch monitors are ok but they are more of perfect conditions. I think that would be a good place to look though. They should let you trade in your old clubs and get into something a little newer and something that fits your game for a resonable price. I would just rather spend 500 on a set vs. 300 to get reshafted and still not sure if that will work. Just make sure you stay from the uniflex and make sure you get your lie angles checked and you should be in there.

it seemed like they quoted me way too high for a fitting and clubmaking. is a golf galaxy a good place to get your clubs fitted/made? it seems like these mom & pop stores really jack up the price.

If you're still in the Pitt area (I'm assuming you are from your name and image), the golf galaxy out in Robinson is a good place to go. I went out there last week to sit on the monitor for a while and I was very impressed with the service I recieved. The guy helping me was named Jody I believe, but everyone else I spoke to seemed very knowledgable and genuinely interested in helping me out. I'd certainly trust them to at least get you some accurate numbers from the launch monitor which can allow the guys on this board to help you out more. :)

I think what he meant was that it might be worth your money to trade in your current set for say, 250 bucks, and then get fitted for a proper set that is designed to work with your swing which might only cost you 400 dollars after your trade in. While reshafting your clubs might not solve your problem on the first try, but will still set you back 200-300 dollars.

So your options would be 400 dollars on a set that is almost a sure thing, or 300 dollars on new shafts that might not deal with your problem.

Personally, I think if you're able to launch a 8.5* driver with no problems, your swing doesn't need too much adjustment and a change in equipment will certainly benefit you.

i understand what you're saying, but with these clubs being pretty new I am hesitant to go out and buy another set (not a very good club ho), plus i really like the feel outside of ballflight. i like all the aspects of the club and don't see anything out there at a similar pricepoint that would be beneficial to me. especially with a set that was bought off the rack, wouldn't a simple fitting suffice considering a set of rifles is about 130 plus installation, where new iron sets can get very pricey espeically if i run into the same shaft problems. I think I've really hit a dillemma here.

with that being the case, is it standard to have a fitting session at $100. and a minimum for a shaft change in my irons for $40 a club? 115 for driver? just seems like alot to me, but it might simply be because I have never done it before. Also, do I gain anything in quality by going to a small business (more price) instead of a chain (maybe cheaper)?

Overpriced.

We charge $100, unless you are puchasing irons though us, then it's FREE. There is no minimum on shafts, and wood fitting is FREE. I can gaurantee the place your looking at doesn't come close to the fitting/facility we offer and thier prices don't reflect that. Go with a smaller local business with a GOOD reputation and no minimum requirements. The fitting price will most likely be about the same.

Buy an identical set on Ebay with S300s, sell your set here or on Ebay. Your net cost will be around $100, could be less.

Since you did not mention anything about hitting it right or left all the time, sounds like standard lie angle is okay for now. S300s will give you lower ballflight than uniflex. If you can't get a ball to stay low with S300s, then you are wasting your money chasing "fit" clubs. Any good player can control trajectory with S300s even if they are not the best fit.

Focus the rest of your time and money on lessons/practice. When you get down to a 10 index, then maybe you can consider going all out on a new set fit exactly to your specs if you want to spend that kind of money.