are the MX-300 the best irons ever?

jamnet

I've read some reviews about the mx-300's and it seems to be a "best of all worlds" iron, forgiving but with somewhat the look and feel of a blade.

Just wondering from the folks who have tried the mx-300 … are they really that good or are there other comparable older irons out there that maybe just as good as the mx-300 but less expensive?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are really good irons, much better than the MX200 they replaced or the older MX25s. For those playing GI irons who long for better control and less offset, this set may just be the best they could get. It would have been better though if the lofts on the MX300 be weaker than the MX200, or get them nearer to the lofts of MP52.

If you want a cheaper option, the Bridgestone J36 Pocket Cavities or Srixon I701 may just be the best sets available at $300.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M1 10.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 13* - Diamana S+ 70S[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro 14.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams Idea Pro A12 23* - Aldila RIPd VS Proto[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J36 PC (4-PW) - KBS Tour[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage 56TS & 60S- DG S200[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno-Bettinardi BC1[/font][/size]

[quote name='Egan101' post='2054283' date='Nov 9 2009, 12:53 PM']They are really good irons, much better than the MX200 they replaced or the older MX25s.[/quote]

Just to be clear, the MX-300 are not a replacement for the MX-200. The MX-200 are still a current model, and from what I have read, are intended to have more GI tendencies (but still workable and fine for lower handicap players), while the MX-300 is more of a players iron for lower-mid handicap players, but still with enough forgiveness to be easier to hit than the MP line.

For example, as a mid-high handicapper, I would not consider the MX-300 as a possible set of irons, but would definitely have the MX-200 on my list. From all reports, both seem like outstanding irons--just serving different types of players and wants.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 f3

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade ‘21 P790 Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Wedge 54*/10 and 58*/10, MMT 105 S Scoring Wedge

Byron Morgan DH89 Flow Neck Putter

• 2 weeks later...

A new set of clubs is always the best set ever. I have owned Mizuno MP 30s, 33s, MP57's and MX23s and Bridgestone J36s. I just got the MX300, with the XP shaft stiff, I had them factory set at 2 degrees flat, one degree strong. At 59 (I carry a 7 handicap) I don't have much of an upright swing anymore so the "real" blades are in the garage. I bought the MX23s as a S.O.P.. to age. I don't want to work on my swing anymore, I just want to play and the MX23's were great with the exception of short irons and wedges which were more like shovels than the rest of the clubs. I would always swap the MP33 wedges in my set. But I loved the mid irons in the 23 set. And the 300's do not disappoint. They are long and straight and feel good. I never did like the 25's or 200's for the same reason stated above regarding the short irons. Because the 300's are decendents of the 23s I bought a set. Normally I think Mizuno lofts are weak, the only exception being the MX23's which are rockets. Or maybe it's just me that's weak.

I may have to deloft the wedges a degree or more because they really do fly but overall I would say this is superb golf club. It is forgiving like the 23's and the J36's but with much more feel. Much more! My first round was an 82 but that was due to poor play not the irons. I think they are noticeably smaller than the 23's and certainly smaller from a top-line perspective than the 25's. Mishits high or low went straight with about a 10-20 percent loss of distance depending on club.

They are "pretty" and forgiving. Not 33's pretty but pretty. (add note: The MP68's are MP33 pretty but though I had the inclination, my better judgement won the day.) Bottom line is I think MX300 perform like a "players" club for a golfer like me who dosn't always perform like a player. GREAT Irons!

The Chile Guy

[quote name='buster' post='2054315' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:12 AM']Thinking maybe best ever. Certainly very, very good.. 4 handi.. shot 1 under for 9 on Sat and 73 yesterday (I think... could have been even)... point and shoot.. nippon shafts are a big part of why I like them so much... excellent balance... and long.. gonna weaken the lofts today...[/quote]

How would you rate them against your beloved 2009 Burners?

Just wondering, as I love the 09 Burners w/ KBS Tours. I've had my eye on the MX-300's too.

In a word, NO. There are a lot of "Players" irons out on the market right now.

Funny, I played 2 rounds with the 09 burners with KBS tours. They felt like poop, but they are LONG and SO forgiving..

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

[quote name='golfware' post='2072278' date='Nov 18 2009, 03:58 PM'][quote name='buster' post='2054315' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:12 AM']Thinking maybe best ever. Certainly very, very good.. 4 handi.. shot 1 under for 9 on Sat and 73 yesterday (I think... could have been even)... point and shoot.. nippon shafts are a big part of why I like them so much... excellent balance... and long.. gonna weaken the lofts today...[/quote]

How would you rate them against your beloved 2009 Burners?

Just wondering, as I love the 09 Burners w/ KBS Tours. I've had my eye on the MX-300's too.
[/quote]

So have bent the pw to 46.5 and 4 degrees to 9 etc.. and the spin is now optimal for me... there is no comparison to the burners... distance is tight and predicatble (they are actually slightly longer in the short and mids) and I really just got lost in this forgiving iron thing I guess.. it all started with a trip to the taylormade tour van when I snagged a set of r7 Taper Tips (KP's heads)...played RaptureJ's, i5 and before that went from mp-60's to x-tours (which saved me 2 strokes per round)... the Burners bugged me for a few reasons and we tweaked them a lot... I couldn't generate enough spin so we weakened them as well and I seemed to catch flyers from the fairway (flyin greens from time to time-Taylor's response was sorta like, "you're on drugs"..OK!).. I am really loving the 300's and now have added mizzy wedges (selling all my tour/wedge works vokeys) and have finally knocked the taylor fw wood and hybrid out of the bag with these mx-300 woods... Mizzy really hit the jackpot I think.. I played the Burners for nearly a year and they helped me get my handi back under 5.. I'm heading toward my best golf ever even though at 58 I have lost some distance.. if I can drop the index to under 3 there will be a party.. 4.4 now.. think the new Mizzy woods are gonna be even better... Hear Luke is hitting a proto driver he likes... the irons are just great for me.

[quote name='BP5168' post='2073064' date='Nov 18 2009, 11:00 PM']Pick up a set of Scratch EZ-1's .... for me they have been the best ever. :)[/quote]

I really like the reasons you support and shoutout these guys... they have made you feel Special.. and I had the same experience with them...maybe a little over promotion...cool with me.. ...

So I've now got a plan..I am gonna ride this bag of mine down a little closer to scratch and then have the best clubmaker I know build a set of EZ-1's (maybe AR-1's) and a set of Miura's (102/202).. and wedges and do one of my bag against bag square-offs.. keep all the stats and see what I end up with... the set that wins..gets a Mackenzie Walker bag to sit in for a year and no pics on eBay!.. the problem is I just can't believe that any set of irons would be better than the ones I have now!!;)... so I'd rather take the money and visit Bandon, Whistling Straights, Hamilton and Sea Island which are on my Schedule in pencil for next year... Bandon and Hamilton for sure...Nice to feel that way about your bag.. Super.. then you can pay attention to your driving, short game and everything in between... Very Cool... 'Nite Guys!

Best ever? I have had my 300's for about a month, and played several rounds with them. I look at it this way, do you like a thinner top line? these have it. Do you like a forged
club? these have it. Do you like a forgiving iron? these have it. Do you like less offset?
these have it. Do you like a more compact club, these have it. Do you like a taper tip?
these have it. Do you like a satin finish? these have it. Do you like a club without the
glaring graphics? these have it. Do you like an OEM that can customize with lie, loft
and shafts, these have it

You can find clubs that have even less offset, and you can find clubs that are more
forgiving, etc. But you would be hard pressed to find a club that incorporates all these
features in one head and one OEM.

So best ever? You won't really know until you have it!!

[quote]Do you like a club without the
glaring graphics? these have it.[/quote]

Actually- I would disagree with this point. Those little corner sticker things do not belong on a golf club. I know that they can be easily removed, but the fact that they are on there in the first place bugs me. This is why I still prefer the MX-20's to the MX-300's.

They are not available in left handed.......so they are possibley the WORST clubs ever!

$LEFTY$  

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65S - Taylormade Stealth 2 3W HL w/ Fugi Ventus TR 6-S - Callaway Big Bertha Max 4H w/ Recoil 75 - Srixon Zx5 5i-PW w/ Recoil 95 - Titleist SM8 48 & 52 w/ Recoil 110 - Callaway JAWS 56 w/ Recoil 110 - Ping Tour-W 60 w/ Recoil 110 - Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 34 - Taylormade TP5X - PING Hoofer

[quote name='buster' post='2073107' date='Nov 19 2009, 03:57 AM'][quote name='BP5168' post='2073064' date='Nov 18 2009, 11:00 PM']Pick up a set of Scratch EZ-1's .... for me they have been the best ever. :)[/quote]

I really like the reasons you support and shoutout these guys... they have made you feel Special.. and I had the same experience with them...maybe a little over promotion...cool with me.. ...

So I've now got a plan..I am gonna ride this bag of mine down a little closer to scratch and then have the best clubmaker I know build a set of EZ-1's (maybe AR-1's) and a set of Miura's (102/202).. and wedges and do one of my bag against bag square-offs.. keep all the stats and see what I end up with... the set that wins..gets a Mackenzie Walker bag to sit in for a year and no pics on eBay!.. the problem is I just can't believe that any set of irons would be better than the ones I have now!!;)... so I'd rather take the money and visit Bandon, Whistling Straights, Hamilton and Sea Island which are on my Schedule in pencil for next year... Bandon and Hamilton for sure...Nice to feel that way about your bag.. Super.. then you can pay attention to your driving, short game and everything in between... Very Cool... 'Nite Guys!

[/quote]

That is a brilliant plan. What works for people, works for people. Everyone has what they like. I'll put it this way ...

For some it's Mizuno. For some it's Scratch. For some it's Miura. Hell for some it's Wal-Mart brand! It's all great to people who are playing them!!!

I consistently shoot in the mid 70's to mid 80's and play the MX-200's. The 300's were not out when I bought the 200's. That said, after hitting the 300's this fall, I'm not inclined to trade or change. The 300's felt great, and are more workable, but they are definitely less forgiving on slight mishits (especially on the long irons). For me, the added forgiveness of the 200's means lower scores. The times I really need to work the ball don't seem to justify the change.

[quote name='sheldonjhacker' post='2074282' date='Nov 19 2009, 06:02 PM']for those who own these or have hit them...are they okay for mid-handicappers?

A mid-capper would probably do better with the MX 200, as stated in an earlier post. The little bit more offset can be helpful to a mid-capper.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='Egan101' post='2054283' date='Nov 9 2009, 12:53 PM']They are really good irons, much better than the MX200 they replaced or the older MX25s. For those playing GI irons who long for better control and less offset, this set may just be the best they could get. It would have been better though if the lofts on the MX300 be weaker than the MX200, or get them nearer to the lofts of MP52.

If you want a cheaper option, the Bridgestone J36 Pocket Cavities or Srixon I701 may just be the best sets available at $300.[/quote]

I would think that for someone in the 4 to 10 handicap range, and is on a budget, the Bridgestone PC's are a club to consider. Compared to Titleist AP-1 and AP-2's, they are more forgiving, and easier to hit, and longer. Compared to Burners, they are not as long in the 5-iron and 6-iron (what is?), but they are more compact and more traditional in look. The topline is a bit thicker, but the club is solid. I actually played my best this past summer with these in 6-iron to PW, and using a Burner or Tour Burner 5-iron. I also hit a few shanks, not on the golf course, but fooling around on the range. They made me concentrate a bit more, or sharpen my skills, shall we say?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='bendy' post='2074057' date='Nov 19 2009, 03:15 PM']Srixon i-701 non tours and tours are just as good (and look better in my view) and a LOT cheaper.[/quote]

As a 701 non-tour player I don't know if I would agree; the main reason I have wanted to get back to Mizzy for the last couple of years is for that unbelievable feel. My 701's aren't even close when it comes to matching that soft feel of the 300's however they are much more forgiving IMO;

There are positives and negatives with each depending on the individual. I will say this-if the 701's had the feel of the 300's I might not ever switch irons but these two irons are just different, yes both are more forgiving forged pocket cavity type irons but I think the 701's hit a higher ball with sometimes too much spin for me causing me to want to consider the 300's. Just my .02.

Are they the best? I don't know. Are they really good? Better than good, outstanding comes to mind.What did they kick out of my bag? Miura 202s

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

[quote name='buster' post='2073107' date='Nov 19 2009, 12:57 AM'][quote name='BP5168' post='2073064' date='Nov 18 2009, 11:00 PM']Pick up a set of Scratch EZ-1's .... for me they have been the best ever. :)[/quote]

[/quote]
Just make sure you do Bandon above all else!

"best irons ever?" I just picked up my set last Sunday but have been buried in my const biz all week. Cant really honestly comment yet but I bet Ill be back here after this weekend with a response. Gonna try to squeeze in 9 tomorrow.

Out of all the Mizuno's Ive gamed in the past the MX 20's have been the best of all time as far as looks, thin topline, distance, playability and forgiveness imo. Maybe these 300's will change that........

TM 09 Burner 9.5
Cleveland Launcher Ti 15*
Adams Idea Pro 18*
Cleveland 588 TT 4-pw
Ping Scottsdale Tr
588 Ta rtg 45* 51* 56* 60* S300

no not the best ever for me. comp ez was mizuno's best iron in my opinion

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer