Vokey wedge question. Rust?

Buddyjay ·  
BuddyjayBuddyjay Members  500WRX Points: 1Posts: 500 Bunkers
I have a 60 deg Vokey that is only a couple months old. I have been practicing with it the last week or so and although I clean my clubs within 24 hours of use, the Vokey has developed what appears to be rust spots on the face.

I wipe my clubs off after each hit and then clean them when I get home. Are these actually rust spots and is this normal?
Posted:

Comments

• Freddie KlienFreddie Klien Members  237WRX Points: 0Posts: 237
    Yes all the oil can and gun metal wedges rust just use a wire groove cleaner
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 TX/CAMembers  1624WRX Points: 285Posts: 1,624 Platinum Tees
    Whats the finish on it?
    Posted:
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • tedptedp TedP Members  212WRX Points: 0Posts: 212
    My oil can does the same thing. FYI! Ben Hogan would play with a set of irons long enough for the rust to

begin to form. Then, he wouldn't let the caddiess clean it off as he like the bite the rust gave.

TedP
    Posted:
  • Fahmie25Fahmie25 Members  114WRX Points: 0Posts: 114
    rust is completely normal if you have anything other than the chrome finish. it used to be thought that the extra friction that the rust would provide added more spin to the wedges, but now most people say its a marginal, if any, difference in spin. most people who have rusted wedges have them because they like they way that they look...more vintage etc...

but dont worry! theres nothing wrong with your wedges! its completely normal!
    Posted:
  • One_Putt_BlunderOne_Putt_Blunder Members  10835WRX Points: 256Posts: 10,835 Titanium Tees
    Yes it is normal for it to happen, if it is something that you dont like and want to get rid of you can always soak them in a solution of Coca Cola for 4 hours or so and that will remove the oil can finish and the rust spots.
    Posted:
    [twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
    10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
    14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
    Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
    WITB Link

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.