Gripmaster grips -- how to make them less sticky

hamletsdead ·  
hamletsdeadhamletsdead Members  35WRX Points: 1Posts: 35 Bunkers
I've got a Gripmaster grip on my Bettinardi which I love, and my wife surprised me for my birthday last month by getting me Gripmasters for all my irons -- the black leather Pro Tapers -- which look fantastic but which are a bit too sticky for me. I play without a glove, and I like some tackiness to the grip, but these are a bit too sticky for me. Anyone experience a similar problem and have an easy solution? Cleaning with water and a rag doesn't do the trick, and I've been using a glove the last week because my hands have that "put my palm down in the spilled OJ" feeling if I play barehanded, which is not pleasant. Not bagging on the grips, since they feel great otherwise, just looking for solutions -- anyone rub them down with alcohol? Or have another quick and easy fix that won't ruin them?
Posted:

Comments

• JCAGJCAG John Curry Members  2179WRX Points: 168Posts: 2,179 Platinum Tees
    hamletsdead wrote on Dec 3 2009, 06:44 PM:
    I've got a Gripmaster grip on my Bettinardi which I love, and my wife surprised me for my birthday last month by getting me Gripmasters for all my irons -- the black leather Pro Tapers -- which look fantastic but which are a bit too sticky for me. I play without a glove, and I like some tackiness to the grip, but these are a bit too sticky for me. Anyone experience a similar problem and have an easy solution? Cleaning with water and a rag doesn't do the trick, and I've been using a glove the last week because my hands have that "put my palm down in the spilled OJ" feeling if I play barehanded, which is not pleasant. Not bagging on the grips, since they feel great otherwise, just looking for solutions -- anyone rub them down with alcohol? Or have another quick and easy fix that won't ruin them?

In my over 30 years in this business I have never been asked this before. For 30 years I have been asked how to get grips strickier especially by those that do not wear a glove.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • TM golf guyTM golf guy Members  9985WRX Points: 1Posts: 9,985 Titanium Tees
    accufitgolf wrote on Dec 3 2009, 05:20 PM:
    hamletsdead wrote on Dec 3 2009, 06:44 PM:

In my over 30 years in this business I have never been asked this before. For 30 years I have been asked how to get grips strickier especially by those that do not wear a glove.

The GripMaster iron grips are borderline disgusting for how sticky they are. "Put my palm down in the spilled OJ" is probably the nicest way I've heard someone say they were too sticky.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't really help with the question. Just adding my two cents on their stickiness.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.