X100 vs. S300

KYMAR

enlighten on the difference please
Hi all, Could not find this comparison in search. just wondering for those of you who have hit both of these shafts and what the differences are in feel, Traj, distance, or anything you think I might want to know. Thanks fellas

Mark

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They play quite a bit differently, you need some club head speed to play X's. The X has a higher kick point, lower torque, and is a heavier and stiffer shaft. The ball will spin less and fly lower in general. I would say that if you can carry, on the fly, your driver at least 250 yards in the air, then you would be a X100 type player.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Thanks Hstead that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Here is the deal i play S300 now and am considering a purchase of a set that already have the X's in them, The seller is a friend and he may be interested in a trade (One that would be to my benefit i think) but I am not sure i want to give up the s300's as i could just swap em out if the X's are too much. I know the specs on each, they actually weigh the same. I thought a higher kick point would give a higher launch/flight, no?

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='KYMAR' post='2115509' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:12 AM']Thanks Hstead that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Here is the deal i play S300 now and am considering a purchase of a set that already have the X's in them, The seller is a friend and he may be interested in a trade (One that would be to my benefit i think) but I am not sure i want to give up the s300's as i could just swap em out if the X's are too much. I know the specs on each, they actually weigh the same. I thought a higher kick point would give a higher launch/flight, no?[/quote]

It works the opposite - a higher kick point means that the point where the shaft will deflect is near the butt end of the shaft and create lower spin and launch; A low kick point will create spin and launch.

The main difference between being able to swing the S300 and X100 is a consistently more aggressive move to the ball. There is a small difference in swing speed, but because it is a much stiffer shaft, this is the case.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='pdaero' post='2115522' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:27 AM'][quote name='KYMAR' post='2115509' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:12 AM']Thanks Hstead that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Here is the deal i play S300 now and am considering a purchase of a set that already have the X's in them, The seller is a friend and he may be interested in a trade (One that would be to my benefit i think) but I am not sure i want to give up the s300's as i could just swap em out if the X's are too much. I know the specs on each, they actually weigh the same. I thought a higher kick point would give a higher launch/flight, no?[/quote]

It works the opposite - a higher kick point means that the point where the shaft will deflect is near the butt end of the shaft and create lower spin and launch; A low kick point will create spin and launch.

The main difference between being able to swing the S300 and X100 is a [b]consistently more aggressive move to the ball[/b]. There is a small difference in swing speed, but because it is a much stiffer shaft, this is the case.
[/quote]

Agreed. I switched to X100 in my irons last year and I'm really glad I did. Dispersion has improved and distance is the same as I was getting with S300. An aggressive move through the ball is pretty accurate though. If you aren't prepared to swing these things with authority then distance could be hurt since they're not as wippy, obviously, as a stiff shaft and will require more effort on the player's part. I play them because I like the weight, the feel and the ballflight. My 5 iron SS is 95 so I'm in that no man's land where either flex is an option but I'm glad I went with the X's.

I have played Dynamic Gold X100's since the middle 1980's, I jumped on the DG bandwagon as soon as I could. So here's a little thought.

IF you can think you swing like John Daly, with that amount of aggressiveness, even if your aren't swinging that hard. You still need to make a move that try's to really throw that ball out there.

Then you wont like them, because they aren't really for a graceful swing, unless you are a PGA tour player with a 110 mile per hour graceful swing.

Great stuff guys! I'm 6'5'' and I do get it around pretty good. elrey and I are in the same boat with the No mans land swing speed on the 5 iron. I play better when I use an aggressive approach. I think I'm gonna try these and see what happens. It's not like it's going to cost me spot on the Ryder Cup team should they be too stiff. Any other input is certainly welcome. Thanks again.

Hybrid undecided
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Hey guys what about the X100 in a 3 wood. How stiff does it play compared to a x stiff graphite shaft? I am in that no mans land as well (6 iron = 88, driver =105-110) and I swing really smooth with my irons so I go with stiff flex in them but I like to be aggresive with my 3 wood and driver and when I am I have a monster hook but it is so hard to stay smooth with a wood in my hand. I just want to get up there and crush it!!!

I purchased an X100 to put in my 3 wood to get more consistency and to try and get rid of that crazy hook. I am sure I will lose a few yards but that is no big deal since I hit this thing about 250-260 off the tee now. I will gladly take 240 and be in the middle more.

What do yall think about this shaft as a wood shaft. What length should I try? I was thinking 43 or 42.5

Thanks

T

a 3 wood with a 117 gram shaft in it, will have a really high swing weight. probaly in the D8 to E0 range.

remember you average 3 wood today has roughly an 80 gram shaft. Some of the Taylor Made, and Cobra fairway woods have as light as a 60 gram shaft in it.

in the past, a fairway wood with a steel shaft had length's of 42 and half at the most for a three wood

dynamic gold fairway wood shaft's aren't as tip stiff as they are in the iron shafts. this in order to help the ball up in the air.

[quote name='justaman5' post='2116119' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:55 PM']a 3 wood with a 117 gram shaft in it, will have a really high swing weight. probaly in the D8 to E0 range.

remember you average 3 wood today has roughly an 80 gram shaft. Some of the Taylor Made, and Cobra fairway woods have as light as a 60 gram shaft in it.

in the past, a fairway wood with a steel shaft had length's of 42 and half at the most for a three wood

dynamic gold fairway wood shaft's aren't as tip stiff as they are in the iron shafts. this in order to help the ball up in the air.[/quote]

Like I said it is an experiment for sure. I will go 42.5 or 42 on the length and give it a try. I know it will be heavy but I am ok with that. I really only hit this club off the tee on tight par fours or where my driver is to long. I hit it out of the fairway when I want to go for the green on par 5s but that does not happen often because most of the par 5s I play will punish you if you are not accurate on your approuch shot so laying up is usually the smart play.

T

I have pretty much always played S300 in my irons, but I'm currently trying out a X100 in my 6 iron. I think based on swingspeed alone (my 6i ss is about 86-87 mph) i should be playing S300 but thusfar i love the feel of the X100. When swinging s300 or below i dont feel where the shaft and clubhead are during my swing i feel no resistance. With the x100 that is different i get to feel the shaft on the downswing which i like. Hits feel much more solid than when using s300.
I don't see much difference in ballflight other than the fact that with the x100 the ball doesn't keep rising and knockdownshots dont climb as much. Haven't lost any distance as far as i can tell right now i think i have even gained a couple of meters.

Is there anyone that has tried X100 vs. X300? I like to up my swing weight but don't want to do it all by using leadtape or weights or increased shaft length. What are the differences between x100 and x300 or is the only difference weight?

[quote name='KYMAR' post='2115509' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:12 AM']Thanks Hstead that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Here is the deal i play S300 now and am considering a purchase of a set that already have the X's in them, The seller is a friend and he may be interested in a trade (One that would be to my benefit i think) but I am not sure i want to give up the s300's as i could just swap em out if the X's are too much. I know the specs on each, they actually weigh the same. I thought a higher kick point would give a higher launch/flight, no?[/quote]

High bend profile equals lower trajectory; very low if SS isn't strong enough to properly bend the shaft, and might feel a bit harsh compared to S300's. If you're comfortable with S300 trajectory and resulting distance I wouldn't move into X100's. X100's equate to 6.5 Rifles. Side note, what ever you decide, make sure all the shafts in your set fall within weight tolerances of the flex profile.

For reference I once played S300's, then X100's when I got better. About five years ago I moved to standard Rifle 6.5's and in 07 to my current flighted 6.0 and standard 6.0 PX shafts.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Don't mean to threadjack but I have a question which pertains to the topic. Bought a used set of mp 29's from Golf galaxy with factory x100's. One shaft was obviously bent and they told me they would replace no problem. I was hesitant but the guy was so confident it wuld be exactly the same and they do repairs for 50% off of clubs you buy there so I said why not. Well when they pulled the shaft from inventory it was s300 with no sticker and I said no way, they said they tip trim and then but trim to length and the step pattern would be identical and so I would have an x100. Well when I got it back, the club is off 1/8" across the board and I was so pissed I just paid and left because who knows what they would do next. I am sure they are wrong about the trimming. Any confirmation of that?

[quote name='84425' post='2116257' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:01 PM']I have pretty much always played S300 in my irons, but I'm currently trying out a X100 in my 6 iron. I think based on swingspeed alone (my 6i ss is about 86-87 mph) i should be playing S300 but thusfar i love the feel of the X100. When swinging s300 or below i dont feel where the shaft and clubhead are during my swing i feel no resistance. With the x100 that is different i get to feel the shaft on the downswing which i like. Hits feel much more solid than when using s300.
I don't see much difference in ballflight other than the fact that with the x100 the ball doesn't keep rising and knockdownshots dont climb as much. Haven't lost any distance as far as i can tell right now i think i have even gained a couple of meters.

Is there anyone that has tried X100 vs. X300? I like to up my swing weight but don't want to do it all by using leadtape or weights or increased shaft length. What are the differences between x100 and x300 or is the only difference weight?[/quote]

In my twenty years of golf, fifteen of that playing with some really good golfers, I haven't met one person that played X300's. That's not to say they don't exist, but at 137 grams they have to be a direct descendant of the gorilla to bend those puppies.

I'd suggest using lead tape, at least to find your comfort zone. My guess is you'll find that zone before reaching X300's 137 weight. At 137 grams, depending on head weight something tells me resulting SW will of X300's will be in no swing ouch my arms hurt zone. :lol:

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='jfzhorseman' post='2116261' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:02 PM']Don't mean to threadjack but I have a question which pertains to the topic. Bought a used set of mp 29's from Golf galaxy with factory x100's. One shaft was obviously bent and they told me they would replace no problem. I was hesitant but the guy was so confident it wuld be exactly the same and they do repairs for 50% off of clubs you buy there so I said why not. Well when they pulled the shaft from inventory it was s300 with no sticker and I said no way, they said they tip trim and then but trim to length and the step pattern would be identical and so I would have an x100. Well when I got it back, the club is off 1/8" across the board and I was so pissed I just paid and left because who knows what they would do next. I am sure they are wrong about the trimming. Any confirmation of that?[/quote]

Sounds like they didn't have a X100 shaft on hand, didn't want to order one even though they are very inexpensive, so next cheapest move would be to step and S300 shaft. Yes, an expert club builder can turn an S300 into X100 through cutting and stepping; and most people couldn't tell the difference if they didn't know.

That begs the question if blindfolded could you tell the difference between S300 and X100?

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='Pepperturbo' post='2116292' date='Dec 10 2009, 06:18 PM']That begs the question if blindfolded could you tell the difference between S300 and X100?[/quote]

Yes. It's pretty easy to feel the 2" difference between the first step of the X and S from either the grip end or hosel end on taper tip shafts. It's even easier with parallel tips - the S has one more step than the X.

The x100 and s300 weigh the same. It is not about the "swing speed" primarily. They are both lively shafts with relatively soft butts. The tip of the x100 is a good bit stiffer than the tip of the s300. If you have an early release, you'll hate the x100. If you have a late release or the so-called "agressive move into the ball" or can describe yourself as a "hitter" you will probably prefer the x100. If it fits you, the x100 will offer tighter dispersion and better distance control. You will probably notice a lower flight. Comparisons to RP or Rifle shafts are not meaningful. Try out a 6 iron and listen to the impact. If it sounds or feels "dead"-- and this is easy to recognize-- go to the s300.

I have played X200's and X 300's in a set of Wilson Staff and then again in a set of Hogan Apex PC's.

Once again there is hardly any difference, than an X100, they are just heavier

As a matter of fact, when I was around 30, then I played Titleist Driver with a X500 shaft in it. That DG shaft had a .294 tip which was pretty standard in persimmon woods.

So they are out there.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' post='2116260' date='Dec 10 2009, 01:01 PM'][quote name='KYMAR' post='2115509' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:12 AM']Thanks Hstead that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Here is the deal i play S300 now and am considering a purchase of a set that already have the X's in them, The seller is a friend and he may be interested in a trade (One that would be to my benefit i think) but I am not sure i want to give up the s300's as i could just swap em out if the X's are too much. I know the specs on each, they actually weigh the same. I thought a higher kick point would give a higher launch/flight, no?[/quote]

High bend profile equals lower trajectory; very low if SS isn't strong enough to properly bend the shaft, and might feel a bit harsh compared to S300's. If you're comfortable with S300 trajectory and resulting distance I wouldn't move into X100's. X100's equate to 6.5 Rifles. Side note, what ever you decide, make sure all the shafts in your set fall within weight tolerances of the flex profile.

For reference I once played S300's, then X100's when I got better. About five years ago I moved to standard Rifle 6.5's and in 07 to my current flighted 6.0 and standard 6.0 PX shafts.
[/quote]

According to True Temper's website fitting gide the Rifle 6.0= X100.

If you would share a link to where that's stated. My numbers are different and include PX product.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

In the history, somewhere on this forum. It was posted, and I think Joe Kwok did it.

The DG X100 is 6.7 on the rifle scale. While project X has a 6.5 on the rifle scale.
DG S300 were 5.7 on the rifle scale, and if hardstepped one time, then are equal to the Project X 6.0

so no Project X 6.0 is not the same as DGX100

edit: spelling

[quote name='justaman5' post='2116836' date='Dec 10 2009, 05:23 PM']In the history, somewhere on this forum. It was posted, and I think Joe Kwok did it.

The DG X100 is 6.7 on the rifle scale. While project X has a 6.5 on the rifle scale.
DG S300 were 5.7 on the rifle scale, and if hardstepped one time, then are equal to the Project X 6.0

edit: spelling[/quote]

Do the fitting and if you select low trajectory you get X100 mid PX 6.0. So according to True Temper the x100 and the PX 6.0 are the same.

[quote name='justaman5' post='2116836' date='Dec 10 2009, 05:23 PM']In the history, somewhere on this forum. It was posted, and I think Joe Kwok did it.

edit: spelling[/quote]

This has been stated for a while, but I'll give it a go. The PX plays stiffer than the normal Rifle scale; The PX 6.0 flexes as a 6.5, and the PX 6.5 flexes more like a 7.0.
The X100 is a 6.7-6.8 on the same scale, so the PX 6.0 flexes only slightly less than the X100. I think some people on this thread were mistakenly putting the PX only as "Rifle", instead of Rifle Project X.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Incase someone is interested:

A golf club at 43" would oscillate in a frequency analyzer at 255 CPM to be a 5.5 flex designation. A 43" club oscillating 265 CPM would be a 6.5 flex designation. If you drop the "2" in "255" and "265", the relationship becomes apparent. These numbers of 5.5 and 6.5, etc. are all based on a club at 43" and every shorter club of the same flex designation will have a CPM increase of 4.3 CPM per 1/2". Every longer club will have a decrease of 4.3 CPM per 1/2". For example, if a club at 43" were 265 CPM, a club of the same flex designation at 42-1/2" would be 269.3 CPM (265 + 4.3). A club at 44" of the same flex would be 256.4 CPM (265 - 8.6). All three clubs are 6.5.

ss=soft-stepped
ssx2=soft-stepped twice
hs=hard-stepped

DGS300ss = 5.5FCM
DGS300 = 5.8
DGS300hs = 6.1

PX5.5ss = 5.5
PX5.5 = 6.0
PX5.5hs = 6.2

PX6.0ss = 6.3
PX6.0 = 6.5
PX6.0hs = 6.7

DGX100ssx2 = 6.2
DGX100ss = 6.5
DGX100 = 6.8
DGX100hs = 7.1

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Linky: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=146774&view=findpost&p=1154035"][size=2][b]Dynamic Gold vs Project X[/b][/size][/url]

Cut shaft weight 5-iron:

DG S300 ---114.4 grams
DG X100 ---114.9 grams

S300 more spin, slightly higher trajectory

Most noticeable difference is in how they feel, and that's subjective.

[quote name='jfzhorseman' post='2116261' date='Dec 10 2009, 12:02 PM']Don't mean to threadjack but I have a question which pertains to the topic. Bought a used set of mp 29's from Golf galaxy with factory x100's. One shaft was obviously bent and they told me they would replace no problem. I was hesitant but the guy was so confident it wuld be exactly the same and they do repairs for 50% off of clubs you buy there so I said why not. Well when they pulled the shaft from inventory it was s300 with no sticker and I said no way, they said they tip trim and then but trim to length and the step pattern would be identical and so I would have an x100. Well when I got it back, the club is off 1/8" across the board and I was so pissed I just paid and left because who knows what they would do next. I am sure they are wrong about the trimming. Any confirmation of that?[/quote]1) Yes, they missed it by 1/8th inch.

2) If they are factory (read: old) X100s, they may flex a little stiffer as DG softened the X100 flex a bit at some point years ago.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]