Junior Tournaments..

titleist21

well.. i'm a junior golfer living in utah. and i just have a question.

i really want to play collegiate golf and i noticed that every collegiate golfer played in AJGA, IJGT, FCWT and all those FREAKIN EXPENSIVE nationally ranked tournaments. i myself have only played in Utah junior golf association and i played pretty good this year. i was wondering if i could still get noticed by college coaches by only playing in UJGA, or do i have to play in the nationally ranked tournaments to go into a college with a good golf team?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played golf on a Division 1 team that was top 100. Of 12 guys on the team, I think only myself and 3 others had extensive AJGA experience. That being said, the other 8 were all in-state kids. I think especially from that part of the country, if you're looking at schools like Utah, Utah State (not sure if they have a team), Wyoming and even Utah will be made up of kids mostly from that area, with very few having AJGA experience. If you're looking to break into schools in states like New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada or any of the Big 12 or PAC 10 schools, then you're going to pretty much need to have big time experience.
The caveat is, that if you're going to have a resume comprised of only state level golf tournaments, you're going to have to have won some and finished close to first in the rest.

[quote name='titleist21' post='2127387' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:32 PM'][quote name='Jer-Jer' post='2126201' date='Dec 15 2009, 06:59 AM']If you're going DI then those are a must. But DII or DIII you don't necessarily need AJGA or stuff like that.[/quote]

I'm really hoping i could get into a DI school, especially in California. I guess i should start signing up for FCWT..
[/quote]

I believe that if you shoot good scores and the coach sees talent when you visit it doesn't matter if you played in AJGA or whatever. Just play in good tournaments. And if you're going to pick only 1 tour, pick AJGA. Not FCWT or IJGT. And you don't need to do like a million. Just a few a year.

Would like to hear why a D1 is better then DII or DIII for golf? There is no "draft" for golfers and only a few D1's players get huge exposure to possible sponsorships. After school your talent is what you bank on, not if you played for a high division school or not, correct?

D1 more tourneys per year over DII's? More players to a team? More perks? More travel? Better courses?
Clue me in please as I know a few Jr Golfers that will attending college soon and would like some feedback of what's going out there.

Does it really matter in the long run if it's only for a golf future, which Division you play in?

TMBob

[quote name='TMBob' post='2127566' date='Dec 15 2009, 07:54 PM']Would like to hear why a D1 is better then DII or DIII for golf? There is no "draft" for golfers and only a few D1's players get huge exposure to possible sponsorships. After school your talent is what you bank on, not if you played for a high division school or not, correct?

D1 more tourneys per year over DII's? More players to a team? More perks? More travel? Better courses?
Clue me in please as I know a few Jr Golfers that will attending college soon and would like some feedback of what's going out there.

Does it really matter in the long run if it's only for a golf future, which Division you play in?

TMBob[/quote]

Well, that's kinda like asking "why is university better than community college for education?" I think Division I is more "professional" than DII and DIII

[quote name='TMBob' post='2127566' date='Dec 15 2009, 08:54 PM']Would like to hear why a D1 is better then DII or DIII for golf? There is no "draft" for golfers and only a few D1's players get huge exposure to possible sponsorships. After school your talent is what you bank on, not if you played for a high division school or not, correct?

TMBob[/quote]

You are correct. Talent and ability is really all that matters after college. I believe it really is all for the prestige of going to a DI school. Also, normally DI schools havebetter facilities, nicer "stuff", more exposure on the national level. Better possibility of getting sponsored. Coaches are more prestigious normally too. Like Jerry Haas at Wake Forest for example.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked on-line and the Utah Golf Association looks to have a 2-day event--Utah Jr Open that I would think would be ranked on the NJGS...it also hosts a qualifier (2-day event) for the U.S. Jr. Amatuer that is ranked. Typically these events are not as costly for the tournaments (in my state Junior Championship is 4 days--includes a practice round-and is $75--of course you have hotel expenses)

Also check out the Rocky Mountain Jr Golf Tour--it has tournaments in Utah a few times a year that would be ranked by the NJGS if they are 2 or 3 day events.

[quote name='generaljhc' post='2152956' date='Dec 31 2009, 01:27 PM']I looked on-line and the Utah Golf Association looks to have a 2-day event--Utah Jr Open that I would think would be ranked on the NJGS...it also hosts a qualifier (2-day event) for the U.S. Jr. Amatuer that is ranked. Typically these events are not as costly for the tournaments (in my state Junior Championship is 4 days--includes a practice round-and is $75--of course you have hotel expenses)

Also check out the Rocky Mountain Jr Golf Tour--it has tournaments in Utah a few times a year that would be ranked by the NJGS if they are 2 or 3 day events.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I thought about signing up for Rocky Mountain JR golf tour last year, but for the events in utah only about 4 people signed up and half of them shot in the high 80's so i don't think there is a lot of competition there.

Just beat everyone in local junior tournaments. Then play the state am and USGA qualifiers that all the college guys in your area play. If your game stands up against theirs then you're in. Don't waste your time/money with AJGA and all that unless you're already a superstar and are trying to get a scholarship to Florida, UCLA, Texas...

[quote name='UNCC Golf#1' post='2154746' date='Jan 1 2010, 01:30 PM']What is the best national ranked tournament on the east coast that's the cheapest. I want to do nationally ranked tournaments as well, but I can't afford them let alone travel all over the country. As of now I play in PJT.[/quote]

You're a 5 handicap. When you get to scratch or + and back it up with tournament scores, play the state am + the closest couple of AJGAs.

Yes tell the coaches.

If am guessing by the UNCC #1, you are in NC??

If so, check out the National Junior Golf Tour. Membership $85, tournaments $130-150. ranked on the JGS.

[url="http://www.nationaljuniorgolfclub.com/"]http://www.nationaljuniorgolfclub.com/[/url]

Also, you should be able to find a Jr State Championship by your state organization, as well as USGA Jr Amatuer Qualifiers in your area.

Check out the Carolinas Golf Association they have a lot of tournaments listed...from a variety of different tours.

[url="http://www.carolinasgolf.org/"]http://www.carolinasgolf.org/[/url]