Project X Flighted 5.5

Sean2 ·  
Sean2Sean2 Members  32713WRX Points: 3,005Posts: 32,713 Titanium Tees
<div class="IPBDescription">What will adding .75 inches do to flex?</div>I need to add .75 inches to my irons and was wondering what the added length will do to the flex of Project X Flighted 5.5s?<br />
<br />
Thank you!
Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

Comments

• judoguy888judoguy888 Members  308WRX Points: 0Posts: 308
    someone please correct me if i am mistaken but i belive that these shafts are butt stiff, so adding more to the butt end of .75 will both make them heavier and stiffer. the weight can be somewhat balanced out if you used tip weights and lead tape, but extensions can get heavy because of material and how much needs to be inside the shaft. also i dont personally recommend going more than .5 inches in extensions because ive had ones longer than that fail. and i dont know how most people feel about aluminum in steel shafts but i have them in mine and they are fine. i got the aluminum so i wouldnt be adding so much weight to the butt end of my clubs. hope this helps and if im mistaken i apologize in advance but im pretty sure this analysis is accurate.<br />
    kenny
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • generalbolggeneralbolg Members  1191WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,191 Bunkers
    actually, i think because of the profile on project x's that adding length wont change flex at all. as long as the 6 iron shaft is in the 6 iron (and so forth) they should frequency out about the same. <br />
    <br />
    unlike dynamic golds, you dont really see project x's tipped. i believe this is because tipping doesnt alter flex. if you are trying to go between flexes, you would soft or hard step them. <br />
    <br />
    i did a small bit of reading on this, but by no means am i an expert. if im off on this correct me, please.
    Posted:
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32713WRX Points: 3,005Posts: 32,713 Titanium Tees
    Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. :-)
    Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. Jordan Peterson

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest thing of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

In golf, the human mind has much higher capabilities to screw things up than the physics has to make things better. Unknown

• HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members  5347WRX Points: 184Handicap: +3Posts: 5,347 Titanium Tees
    Lengthening PX shafts actually stiffen them a bit. However, you will add SW points, as well, which counters the stiffness and almost evens this out. As a previous poster added, though, I would not recommend anything over 1/2"
    Posted:
    PING G410 LST 9* - "Tour Issue" ALTA RED "X" 
    PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
    PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
    TAYLORMADE BLACK P790's - SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16718WRX Points: 962Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,718 Titanium Tees
    DefConOne wrote on Dec 22 2009, 04&#58;55 PM:
    I need to add .75 inches to my irons and was wondering what the added length will do to the flex of Project X Flighted 5.5s?<br />
    <br />
    Thank you!
    <br />
    <br />
    They are tapered from butt to tip and part of that taper is the kickpoint moves down the shaft per iron. IMO adding material in the butt section to lengthen will change how the shafts feel and play. That's a lot to add. Whether or not you'll notice the difference all depends on you.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber i95 "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i110/i125 "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber i125 "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 & AVX

• tmfool tmfool Members  1833WRX Points: 116Handicap: 3.4Posts: 1,833 Platinum Tees
    DefConOne wrote on Dec 22 2009, 05&#58;55 PM:
    I need to add .75 inches to my irons and was wondering what the added length will do to the flex of Project X Flighted 5.5s?<br />
    <br />
    Thank you!
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    playability would be affected more by heavier swingweight (2-3 sw) than (possible) change in flex.<br />
    <br />
    if the +.75 is to accomplish a better fit (and it works) the benefit may outweigh possible downside of heavier sw.<br />
    if everything goes well, you could expect to hit each iron slightly higher & longer.
    Posted:
    TP MC 6-PW Steelfiber i95
    UDI 3-4-5 steelfiber i95
    Puglielli Black 52&56 s/fiber i125
    Adams XTD Superhybrid 17* s/fiber i110
    Superfast TP 13* Matrix HD7
    M2 9.5 (upright) Matrix 7M3
    SC Studio Select custom
    Snell MTB
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2 Members  32713WRX Points: 3,005Posts: 32,713 Titanium Tees
    tmfool wrote on Dec 23 2009, 12&#58;17 PM:
    DefConOne wrote on Dec 22 2009, 05&#58;55 PM:
    <br />
    Thank you!
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    playability would be affected more by heavier swingweight (2-3 sw) than (possible) change in flex.<br />
    <br />
    if the +.75 is to accomplish a better fit (and it works) the benefit may outweigh possible downside of heavier sw.<br />
    if everything goes well, you could expect to hit each iron slightly higher & longer.
    <br />
    It was recommended I go +1, but I didn't want to add that much. <br />
    <br />
    What if the shaft wasn't added to, but cut to that length? Does that differ from adding length to a pre-existing shaft?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.