How quickly did you get a hang of golf?

Faub78

Hey everyone, i just ran across the website earlier today have proceed to spend the last couple hours reading through the forums!

So, I decided one day this July that I was interested in playing golf and borrowed some clubs from my dad and went out to hit at a driving range. I couldn't hit a 7 iron 100 yards, but I was bit by the golf bug and I got addicted. I proceed to play or practice nearly every day for the rest of the summer as soon as I would get done at work. With school starting in mid august and still working I didnt get a chance to play again until this Christmas break.

In total I have played or practice maybe somewhere around 60 days but I think I am seeing a ton of success for just starting. I shot a solid 85 most times I go out and play from the whites (men regular). All of this is either what I naturally do or self taught by reading a few magazines. I hit my 7 iron 165 yds, driver 275. My big fault is that I hit maybe 4 greens in regulation but again I literally just started playing and I am kind of excited when I play against guys who have been playing for years and I am not that much worse than them.

How does this stack up to everyone else when they first picked up golf? Is picking it up this fast and naturally normal or may I have something here the I could capitalize on with some real practice?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You caught on to the game pretty quickly. Now that you have the distance, you really need to work on just becoming more accurate, this may mean to smooth out your swing. The other HUGE thing to work on is short game. I am 15 and pratice everyday for 3 to 4 hours a day, and I wish I figured out 2 years ago how much the short game meant. If you and feel comfortable with most chips from around the greens and make a majority of your 8 foot putts you will see your scores fall!!!!!!

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the game that is golf haha. If you are serious about it you gotta keep practicing, look into getting a few lessons. Even if money is tight a half-hour lesson once a month will make you better. Video tape your swing put it on these boards, theres a wealth of knowledge here. Try not to get caught up in the club ho'ing. Get a nice set and work on your swing first. Indian not the arrow, most of the time atleast. This game takes more than it gives, think $$$$, but what it does give you is a life time of fun. Welcome to the site also and work on your game and you willl get better

I was beating my grandfather at 7. I stoped playing until I got in high school and tried out for the golf team in 10th grade and shot 140!!! Came back the next year and shot 81. Could've been really good but never took the time to practice or drive when i was younger to get really good at it. At my best I help a 4 for about 2 years and with no lessons or practice, just played on the course.

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

I would say i caught on kinda quick
my dad got me into it when i was about 3 and i had various coaches from about the age of 5 to 11
i was pretty good as a kid and played in a national under 8's comp when i was 7
a kid who played in that is now the top ranked amateur in england and played in the walker cup last year (eamonn 'stiggy' hodgson)
he won virtually everything at under 10 level :/

[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='04 January 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1262627629' post='2160437']
I became a 1.8 after three years. Only One year was with a pro. The other two years was me watching forums like this and watching golf channel and finding what I thought would work.
Hardest thing ever? Trying to break 80.
Ridiculous. I think it's the hardest barrier.
[/quote]

70 is harder, I've done it twice and I had a near flawless round to do it (8 birdies, 4 bogies=68, and 5 birdies and a double bogie=68). BTW I became scratch after a year and a half, but now my swing's gone downhill and I'm a 2 again.

[quote name='mkotthoff' date='12 January 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1263321828' post='2177223']
[quote name='Eternal_Envoy' date='04 January 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1262627629' post='2160437']
I became a 1.8 after three years. Only One year was with a pro. The other two years was me watching forums like this and watching golf channel and finding what I thought would work.
[/quote]

70 is harder, I've done it twice and I had a near flawless round to do it (8 birdies, 4 bogies=68, and 5 birdies and a double bogie=68). BTW I became scratch after a year and a half, but now my swing's gone downhill and I'm a 2 again.
[/quote]

Gone downhill.. ridiculous. You're still a 2!
Breaking 70 is by far the hardest boundary. There's very little difference in game between a guy that shoots 73 and a guy that shoots 69 - mostly mental, placement and a putt here and there. I've done it 6 times, all over the course of the Summer of 2004.

Back to the original post - I am very impressed with your progress, but don't expect to divide in half again just as fast. Personally, I started playing about 10, but didn't care until I was 13 when I realized that my high school had a golf team. I practiced some, had one lesson and shortly thereafter broke 90 for the first time with an 87. I made the 5 spot on varsity, beating out 10 others. The summer after that (2004), I was a +2 and practiced every day. I mainly read Golf Digest and wish that I wouldn't have had more lessons than that because I only screwed myself up. I am in the process of rebuilding my swing (sans coaching or lessons) and want to get back into the low 70s and breaking par again! I currently shoot in the upper 70s and low 80s on bad rounds.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

[quote name='pdaero' date='12 January 2010 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1263326781' post='2177378']
[quote name='mkotthoff' date='12 January 2010 - 01:43 PM' timestamp='1263321828' post='2177223']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Gone downhill.. ridiculous. You're still a 2!
Breaking 70 is by far the hardest boundary. There's very little difference in game between a guy that shoots 73 and a guy that shoots 69 - mostly mental, placement and a putt here and there. I've done it 6 times, all over the course of the Summer of 2004.

Back to the original post - I am very impressed with your progress, but don't expect to divide in half again just as fast. Personally, I started playing about 10, but didn't care until I was 13 when I realized that my high school had a golf team. I practiced some, had one lesson and shortly thereafter broke 90 for the first time with an 87. I made the 5 spot on varsity, beating out 10 others. The summer after that (2004), I was a +2 and practiced every day. I mainly read Golf Digest and wish that I wouldn't have had more lessons than that because I only screwed myself up. I am in the process of rebuilding my swing (sans coaching or lessons) and want to get back into the low 70s and breaking par again! I currently shoot in the upper 70s and low 80s on bad rounds.

[/quote]

My swing fell apart, right before the tournament season (my first competitive) and my handicap shot up to an 8 in a month and a half, i couldn't break 85. After the season I started to bring it down again, but its a work in progress. I'm a freshman and I have to get ready for HS tryouts in 5 weeks.

I dont know if anyone else would agree with me. But being able to break the 70 barrier was much harder than anything else. If you play steady eddie golf, you can par most of the holes pretty easy. Its that making 6 or 7 birdies a round and only a bogey or so that is hard. You really have to hit it close to do that with some regularity. Sure anyone can have a super putting day, and make 6 or 7 birdies, but to do it day in and day out is really hard. Guess that is why, I am not a pro.

You have to have a real confidence in your swing, and know it will go where u want it to or close. Steady Eddie, hits the ball where he wont make a big score, and this prevents your from shooting a low score.

I was shooting in low to mid 90's the summer going into freshman year. I improved very dramatically in that time span. Dropping my handicap from a 15 to a 7. I'm now a senior in high school and my handicap is a 3.4. One thing I was blessed with was a natural touch aorund the greens. That is one thing that everybody, including me, needs to work continuosly on though. A good short game can save you a lot more strokes than you think.

at the age of 3...been playing crappy lately black%20eye.gif

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

[quote name='Faub78' date='04 January 2010 - 06:53 AM' timestamp='1262616804' post='2160113']
Hey everyone, i just ran across the website earlier today have proceed to spend the last couple hours reading through the forums!

So, I decided one day this July that I was interested in playing golf and borrowed some clubs from my dad and went out to hit at a driving range. I couldn't hit a 7 iron 100 yards, but I was bit by the golf bug and I got addicted. I proceed to play or practice nearly every day for the rest of the summer as soon as I would get done at work. With school starting in mid august and still working I didnt get a chance to play again until this Christmas break.

In total I have played or practice maybe somewhere around 60 days but I think I am seeing a ton of success for just starting. I shot a solid 85 most times I go out and play from the whites (men regular). All of this is either what I naturally do or self taught by reading a few magazines. I hit my 7 iron 165 yds, driver 275. My big fault is that I hit maybe 4 greens in regulation but again I literally just started playing and I am kind of excited when I play against guys who have been playing for years and I am not that much worse than them.

How does this stack up to everyone else when they first picked up golf? Is picking it up this fast and naturally normal or may I have something here the I could capitalize on with some real practice?
[/quote]

I took up the game at age 16 and taught myself on a par 3 course. Played nearly every day and was a 5 handicap after 6 months. 30 years later I'm still a 5 handicap.

Handicap:  3