My Mizzou Golf Trip in March

-GoldenHawk--GoldenHawk- DJMembers Posts: 907 ✭✭
it's gonna be domination
Have any of you guys played Kinderhook, Deer Chase, Osage National, Season's Ridge???

I'm goin on a trip with some buds for a week in the middle of March.

What did you guys think of these courses?

Comments

• kamizzou91kamizzou91 Members Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 5, 2010 #2
    I have played Old Kinderhook, Osage National, and Season's Ridge. I would rank them as follows:

1. Old Kinderhook - One of my favorite courses in Missouri. Always well manicured and great layout. You'll really like this one.

2. Osage National - There are three 9's at this course, but make sure you play the River and the Mountain. I like the Mountain 9 better as it has elevation changes, etc. The River 9 is nice too though. Almost like playing 2 different courses as the River is down in the valley.

3. Season's Ridge - Nice course, good layout.

Enjoy your trip. Hopefully this snow melts by then!
    Titleist 917 D2 10.5
    Titleist 917 F2 15
    Titleist 818 H1 21
    Titleist 718 AP3 4-AW
    Vokey SM7 54M, 58D
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I live less than a hour from Old Kinderhook and it's one of my favorite course around Lake of the Ozarks along with Porto Cima. I have not played at Osage National or Season's Ridge but heard it's a good track. I know nothing about Deer Chase.

I can't believe that I've never played at ON or Season's Ridge but maybe it's because I always play at Porto Cima or Old Kinderhook which always are the two best courses in Lake of the Ozark area in my opinion.

Old Kinderhook's assistant professional is a regular here on WRX.
    My bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    TM Aeroburner TP fw 15*, hybrids 19* & 22*
    J15CB 5-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG 52HB & Hi-Toe 58.10
    Bobby Grace LFI 43" w/J-Tizzle's Magic Pixels

• b_riedyb_riedy Members Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all....GO MIZZOU!!!

Secondly, I also highly recommend both Old Kinderhook and Porto Cima (in that order). The other courses below are nice, but not even close to these two.
    Dr: Ping G410 Plus (Ping Tour)
    3w: Ping G410 LST (Ping Tour)
    H: Ping G410 (Ping Tour)
    I: Ping i210 (PX LZ)
    W: Ping Glide 3.0 (PX LZ)
    P: Bettinardi Inovai 5.0 CS
  • -GoldenHawk--GoldenHawk- DJ Members Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Sucks to be the Tiger's right now. That was a pitiful bowl game they palyed. Go Hawkeyes!!

I've played Kinderhook once 3 years ago when I was a midget..didn't golf too well then, but It's a beautiful course. Look forward to playing it again.
  • ClarkGrswld4ClarkGrswld4 Members Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only played Osage National and Season's Ridge. I liked Osage National better. It is an awesome course imo with very good conditions. Season's Ridge is good as well.
    edited Jan 17, 2010 #8
    I was just informed that we won't be playing seasons ridge after all... we're doing tan tar a on monday, deer chase on tuesday, kinderhook on wednesday, sycamore creek on thursday, osage national on friday

gonna be a blast
  • Judge SmalesJudge Smales Members Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 17, 2010 #9
    Need to try and get on Porta Cima. By far the best course in the area. Guarantee you can't break 80 from the back tees. GUARANTEE!! I've seen good pros not break 90.

Oh ya, Rock Chalk Jayhawk...
  • stevepozstevepoz Members Posts: 307 ✭✭✭✭
    I have heard great things about Old Hawthorne in Columbia. Eagle Knoll is also good.
  • raseelerraseeler emsdaddy Members Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭
    Kinderhook is the best of your list with Osage following up second...the rest, in my opinion are just OK, nothing too spectacular. I couldn't agree more about Porto Cima, if you can get on it....DO IT!
  • raseelerraseeler emsdaddy Members Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah...and if you need to fill out any foursomes...i would be more than happy to join you!!! image/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    only 33 more days.....
  • ez1puttez1putt Members Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Pray the sh&t weather rolls out of here by then.....this is the first winter I can remember in 15 years where it's been absolutely unplayable for months. I'll play in anything, but this winter has been craptastic.
    2 weeks...I can't keep myself together.

We're now going to Tanglewood on the way down there. Anyone ever played that course???
  • CardsChamps11CardsChamps11 Members Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good pros not break 90 from the back tees at Porta Cima? They must not be that good. Ive played that course quite a bit. Its hard but Ive seen a 67 and numerous par rounds put up on that course. Good Layout by the way
  • 1puttwoods1puttwoods Members Posts: 646 ✭✭
    -GoldenHawk- wrote on 05 January 2010 - 06:22 PM:

Have any of you guys played Kinderhook, Deer Chase, Osage National, Season's Ridge???

I'm goin on a trip with some buds for a week in the middle of March.

What did you guys think of these courses?

As a resident of the Lake area let me throw my two cents in. Old Kinderhook day in and day out is the best conditioned course at the lake. In recent years the greens have not been as scary as they once were but are still pretty fast.....in season. Osage National is my favorite course down here and is where I play most of my golf. It can be stretched to over 7000 yards and is a good test of golf. The river and the mountain is the original 18 and the links is the additional 9. I used the hate the links but now I like the links more than the mountain. The mountain is fun but requires alot of local knowledge on a few holes. Deer Chase is fun and you can make a ton of birdies on the course. All of the par 5s are reachable and there are numerous short par 4's. Usually the greens are very good but the fairways are sometimes a little suspect. Usually Deer Chase drains pretty good and they are one of the first to let carts off the path. Seasons Ridge is just plain fun. I used to be the Head Pro there. Although it lacks length it is a good place to play one of your first rounds of the year because it is very forgiving. Many of the holes are what I call bowls, meaning that if you miss the fairway it usually bounces back towards the fairway. This also kills the drainage for this course as all the water flows to the fairway. If we get any rain in the next few days expect to be on the path for a while.

Other courses to think about are Bear Creek Valley (good test from the tips ) usually the greens are some of the best in the area. Dogwood Hills (good warm up course and recently the greens have been very good. Also Eldon Golf Club the past few years has been in VERY good shape.

Hope you get good weather.
    Judge Smales wrote on 17 January 2010 - 07:55 PM:

Need to try and get on Porta Cima. By far the best course in the area. Guarantee you can't break 80 from the back tees. GUARANTEE!! I've seen good pros not break 90.

Must have been Jayhawk pros because although hard.....Porto Cima's not that hard.
  • squeaker squeakssqueaker squeaks Members Posts: 53
    Tanglewood is a pretty decent course. I play it alot in the summer because the rates are good. The greens are usually in pretty good shape. Very forgiving course. Wide open.

If you want more of a challenge, Eagle Knoll is one of the nicest courses in the area-- and pretty reasonable. It's only about 15 minutes out of your way, and you won't regret it.
    squeaker squeaks wrote on 01 March 2010 - 03:56 PM:

Tanglewood is a pretty decent course. I play it alot in the summer because the rates are good. The greens are usually in pretty good shape. Very forgiving course. Wide open.

If you want more of a challenge, Eagle Knoll is one of the nicest courses in the area-- and pretty reasonable. It's only about 15 minutes out of your way, and you won't regret it.

Agreed
    edited Mar 11, 2010 #21
    We're taking off early Sunday morning and playing Deer Chase early afternoon. We will be playing it again later in the week. Anyone played Deer Chase??
    -GoldenHawk- wrote on 11 March 2010 - 09:12 AM:

We're taking off early Sunday morning and playing Deer Chase early afternoon. We will be playing it again later in the week. Anyone played Deer Chase??

Deer Chase is fun to play, pretty easy for your better golfers though. It's kind of on the short side, all of the par 5's are reachable with maybe the exception of #5 at least for me. It's Maybe 530 but seems to play longer. There is a pretty good mix of holes. Hole # 7 is a par 5 where the longest club I've had into the green is a 7 iron, but then you go to the 8th and you have a 240 yard uphill par 3 so.....that hole dosen't really fit. There are several holes where you can hit it everywhere off the tee and a few tee shots that will demand you hit a quality shot. #17 is a pretty though tee shot if you draw the ball because the fairway slopes right to left, and there is ob right and woods and junk left and when its firm out i've landed in the middle of the fairway and bounded into the woods. I actually maid a 9 on that hole during a tournament once and did not loose a ball. (the ball just kept getting snagged in the undergrowth and I just couldn't get it out of the woods). Ok........its not that tough but it is a little scary if you hit driver because I have to start it down a gravel road just right of the fairway which is OB and try to land it in the right rough and have it kick left into the fairway. In the past the greens have always been the best part of the course, I haven't played there yet this year but I assume they should be good. Overall its a fun course to play where if you are hitting it well you can make a ton of birdes.
    We switched a course to Witch's Cove...anyone played?

I took a picture tour online and looks like a nice place.

Yes, Trent Jones Course it's good......one of my favorites.
    just played witch's cove today. Pretty cool outside, shot a 45-39 for 84...not terrible for first time out and very wet conditions
    Ended with an 80 at Kinderhook, not a bad finish. Birdied par 3 16th with about a 30 footer. Then birdied 18 with about a 20 footer. It was a good week.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1puttwoods wrote on 01 March 2010 - 12:06 PM:

Judge Smales wrote on 17 January 2010 - 07:55 PM:

Must have been Jayhawk pros because although hard.....Porto Cima's not that hard.

I thought Porto Cima was one of the nicest courses I have played, in terms of condition. The front nine absolutly kicked my butt, however I played pretty decent on the back nine. Of course I was up late the night before and my head was throbbing, a little hair of the dog helped on the back...LOL. Front 9 tight driving areas, long forced carries to greens with trouble all around them, a typical Nicklaus course. It is NOT an easy course by any stretch of the imagination, and from the tips you have better be pretty solid to shoot below 80, not that it couldnt be done.

Osage National is nice, Kinderhook is nice as others have said as well. Lots of good golf in the area, you could always drive down to Bransen Creek as well, should be about an 1 1/2 hours tops.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji