2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Professional Golf Management

Help Please
First off I'd like to ask to see. Has anyone else on the WRX has chosen this major in College? I am a sophomore in High School
I really love golf and my Parents have always said "do" something you love. Well I love Golf!!! So i think this is what i want to Major in, but i have a few extra questions. The schools I've looked at the most in this order.

1. Coastal Carolina
2. Arizona State University
3. Clemson

But I also have some other questions

1. What should your GPA be? (academics first) (Mine overall grade average is 87)
2. What colleges did you go to? (for playing Golf, OR Professional Golf Management)
3. What would a good Minor be (I'm thinking business)
4. What divisions are these schools (for the Team)
5. If I want to play on the team what should my handicap be. and Scoring average (I'm a 6.9)
6. What are my Career options after College, How much money will be made? (My dream job is working for a company such as Titleist, Callaway, Scratch, or Nike)

Thanks for the Read, Please leave your stories, opinions, and other comments if you dont mind.

THANKS
Scooter Gilligan :friends:

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ASU's program is on their East campus, not the main campus at Tempe. If being involved in the social scene at school/feeling like a part of the university is a big deal to you, I would look elsewhere.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

where exactly is their east campus?

Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]

[quote name='zachster104' post='2168266' date='Jan 7 2010, 09:54 PM']You cannot play golf and be involved in the PGM program[/quote]

Is that a rule?

Nike Vr Tour 9.5. GD AD-DI 6S
Nike Dymo 15. BB 63S. Nike SQ2 19.UST V2
Nike Vr Forged SC 5-P. KBS Tour
Nike Vr Pro 50, 54. DG S400
Scratch Forged 58 GR8 grind. KBS Tour
Nike Method MCi3. Iomic White Midsize

You should check out my school, Methodist University. One of the best pgm schools out there and it has some of the best D3 PGM guys playing. its a small school, with unlimited possibilties! PM me with any questions

[url="http://www.methodist.edu/pgm/index.htm"]http://www.methodist.edu/pgm/index.htm[/url]

Check it out!

Epic Flash Driver 3 wood
Apex Pro 3-PW MD 50 + 56PM Knox putter
Snell, B330, Chrome soft

Just saw your post on wrx for the PGM schools.

Im a senior here at Coastal Carolina and i have to say its one of the best times ive had going to school. I was not highly recruited out of high school and only offered one scholarship to play golf but coming to Coastal has been good. Benefits of the program are that you get a major in business administration and your field which can be accounting marketing management finance and so on. thats a huge plus when you look at some of the other schools because you may receive a degree in parks and recreation which may not benefit you if you decide to leave the golf business.

You complete all your PGA checkpoints and internships your elected to membership. Coastal competes in tournaments with all of the other PGM schools out there and we usually have one tournament round per weekend. It looks like your academics are good enough to get here and thats the main thing!. Handicap is required to be an 8 for enrollment.

Coastal is a Division 1 school in all sports. Football is division 1-AA. Baseball team is nationally ranked and the basketball is slowly getting there. Golf was ranked 16th in the country the last time i looked.

If you are looking into playing college golf you better have a handicap of about +3 to be honest. Im friends with alot of the guys that have been around Coastal and some now play on the PGA tour (Dustin Johnson) and hes in a different world. I average 72.7 here at Coastal since ive been here and Ive figured out that im just barely good enough to make the team ( with a handicap of +2). So ive decided to continue with PGM and look into the future.

As far as career opportunities many of the internships you go out on (16) months total you are offered the job after you complete school. You can work in the typical green grass facility or like you said with the manufacturers. We have a past PGA president on staff as well as 4 other Class A around the university. If you have any questions PM me and ill get back to ya.

Good luck on your search.

Look into Penn State University. The best school that offers a PGM program. Since you are from Ohio it would be somewhat close. You have to get your grades up though. 87 is not PSU material.

I graduated from PSU in 2002 and it was a great experience. It started out in the PGM program but decided to switch majors. Having a degree from Penn State is important when you decide to get out of the golf business one day!!! hahahahahah

I worked as a asst pro, and a director of golf before deciding to get out of the business.

If you want to work for an OEM I would make sure you have a strong science background if you are interested in design. Other than that you may have to know someone to get involved in the business end. Being a club rep is a tough job nowadays. It was great in the 90's but has been a struggle for those guys now.

The golf business is a tough road. Believe me. Hours are long and the pay sucks. I worked in the business for 10 years.

6.9 handicap has no chance of D1 college golf.

[quote name='ccugolfer' post='2169076' date='Jan 8 2010, 10:51 AM']Just saw your post on wrx for the PGM schools.

Im a senior here at Coastal Carolina and i have to say its one of the best times ive had going to school. I was not highly recruited out of high school and only offered one scholarship to play golf but coming to Coastal has been good. Benefits of the program are that you get a major in business administration and your field which can be accounting marketing management finance and so on. thats a huge plus when you look at some of the other schools because you may receive a degree in parks and recreation which may not benefit you if you decide to leave the golf business.

You complete all your PGA checkpoints and internships your elected to membership. Coastal competes in tournaments with all of the other PGM schools out there and we usually have one tournament round per weekend. It looks like your academics are good enough to get here and thats the main thing!. Handicap is required to be an 8 for enrollment.

Coastal is a Division 1 school in all sports. Football is division 1-AA. Baseball team is nationally ranked and the basketball is slowly getting there. Golf was ranked 16th in the country the last time i looked.

If you are looking into playing college golf you better have a handicap of about +3 to be honest. Im friends with alot of the guys that have been around Coastal and some now play on the PGA tour (Dustin Johnson) and hes in a different world. I average 72.7 here at Coastal since ive been here and Ive figured out that im just barely good enough to make the team ( with a handicap of +2). So ive decided to continue with PGM and look into the future.

As far as career opportunities many of the internships you go out on (16) months total you are offered the job after you complete school. You can work in the typical green grass facility or like you said with the manufacturers. We have a past PGA president on staff as well as 4 other Class A around the university. If you have any questions PM me and ill get back to ya.

Good luck on your search.[/quote]

Thanks a Bunch for the input. This really helped a lot, PGM is really what i want to do in college so playing DI golf is out of the question, Maybe DII. ALSO to the other guys thanks for your opinions. I understand a 6.9 handicap is not as good as it should be, BUT trust me its going down drastically.

[quote name='justin139golf' post='2169270' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:22 PM']Look into Penn State University. The best school that offers a PGM program. Since you are from Ohio it would be somewhat close. You have to get your grades up though. 87 is not PSU material.

I graduated from PSU in 2002 and it was a great experience. It started out in the PGM program but decided to switch majors. Having a degree from Penn State is important when you decide to get out of the golf business one day!!! hahahahahah[/quote]

Agreed. Penn State would provide you one of the best educations to go along with PGM. It is also probably the hardest to get into as well. To go with the PGM they also have the best Turfgrass Science program in the world, in case you want to be a superintendent.

and if in the end it doesn't work out you have a degree from Penn State, one of the most recognized universities in the world.

Again i am just a sophomore so I still have time, but i think i still want to look at CCU just because that seems like a good fit for me. anyone else want to chime in...opinions welcome!!

I heard coastal may be losing their program, they have been under investigations for years with the PGA. A friend of mine transfered from coastal to methodist and said coastal was a joke compared to methodist.

This is all from my personal experience and through my professional contacts, I am in no way shape or form trying to bash another PGM school, I just think you should know

Epic Flash Driver 3 wood
Snell, B330, Chrome soft

[quote name='PGA_AllTheWay' date='11 January 2010 - 01:38 PM' timestamp='1263235116' post='2174809']
I heard coastal may be losing their program, they have been under investigations for years with the PGA. A friend of mine transfered from coastal to methodist and said coastal was a joke compared to methodist.

This is all from my personal experience and through my professional contacts, I am in no way shape or form trying to bash another PGM school, I just think you should know
[/quote]

really? where did you hear this?

went thru it at asu....its a good time. Its alot of busy work and cost some $$$$. I had a blast if you look into some smaller schools you can play and do the pgm's I wish i could of done that. Life after the pgm's is fun but can be demanding. Great if your a single guy, lost a few gf's because of the time i spent at the pro shop and not with her

OUCH!!! where exavctly is the ASU campus and how much exactly did you spend?
if you dont mind me asking.

Oh man the East campus is actually called the ASU Polytechnics Campus and is out in Mesa. [url="http://catalog.asu.edu/files/majormap08/AGAGBMBS.pdf"]http://catalog.asu.e...08/AGAGBMBS.pdf[/url] this is the 4 year degree they offer notice it is a business degree. I think for me being an instate student for all 4 years was about 9k + books a year for that. But I guess thats really no different than a degree for anyone else, also note that I payed my way through school so 9 grand a year is alot for most 18,19,20 year olds. Also take note the hardest thing you will have to do is pass the PAT's. It took me two times to do this. There where alot of kids who did not graduate because they had problems passing it. Right out of school I made 30 my last year as an AP made 50 but like I said the hours can be long and doing 100 hundred range lessons a month+putting and playin lessons can be demanding. Some people love it, I did until my fiance needed a part time caddy so i cut back on my hours and started doing that. Im in no way trying to talk you out of it, but starting out can be a grind, like anything really. Got more question feel free to ask

Thats pretty smart that your looking at that stuff now.

Well next year I am going to do that at New Mexico State, looking foward to it. And wasnt there a problem with ASU's pgm program last year?

ZP

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter

[b][i]"Benefits of the program are that you get a major in business administration and your field which can be accounting marketing management finance and so on. thats a huge plus when you look at some of the other schools because you may receive a degree in parks and recreation which may not benefit you if you decide to leave the golf business. "

[size="6"]MAKE SURE THE PROGRAM YOU CHOOSE SATISFIES THIS CRITERIA...ALWAYS LEAVE YOURSELF OPTIONS! GET A FLEXIBLE AND RESPECTED MAJOR NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO!!! THIS PART IS A NO BRAINER!!![/size][/i][/b]

[quote name='moegolfer11' date='11 January 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1263238267' post='2174910']
[quote name='PGA_AllTheWay' date='11 January 2010 - 01:38 PM' timestamp='1263235116' post='2174809']

[/quote]

[/quote]

They were under investigation in 2005 according to my source, who helps credit schools with their PGM program. If anyone wants to think about what schools offer the most opportunities for their students and have the contacts to get them into some of the best clubs in the world, they should look into Methodist. If you look up the top 100 golf clubs in america, most likely they will have a Methodist guy on staff.

Epic Flash Driver 3 wood
Snell, B330, Chrome soft

[quote name='PGA_AllTheWay' date='13 January 2010 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1263397523' post='2178959']
[quote name='moegolfer11' date='11 January 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1263238267' post='2174910']

[/quote]

[/quote]

They were under investigation in 2005 according to my source, who helps credit schools with their PGM program. If anyone wants to think about what schools offer the most opportunities for their students and have the contacts to get them into some of the best clubs in the world, they should look into Methodist. If you look up the top 100 golf clubs in america, most likely they will have a Methodist guy on staff.
[/quote]

Coincidence there is one on my clubs staff, Corey Johnson. he is playing in the NGA hooters tour in the winter now. He said he loved Methodist so ill look into going there too, I just feel i wont be on the big stage of college golf if its DIII. but i could be wrong

Just fyi a former alumni of Methodist played in the US vs China collegiate golf event, players from each divisions are scouted to represent their country. Only one division 3 student plays on the team, but we had a guy named Adam Horton on the team for two consecutive years and he was MVP both years. Methodist is by far the top in D3 golf, and you would play in events against D2 and D1 students. I would strongly consider that you see who plays on the golf team at coastal because I would assume it would be very difficult to make the team...just fyi. Tell Corey he needs to get his game in shape and that Andy from Methodist says hi. Is he still dating Leah?

Epic Flash Driver 3 wood
Snell, B330, Chrome soft

Just fyi a former alumni of Methodist played in the US vs China collegiate golf event, players from each divisions are scouted to represent their country. Only one division 3 student plays on the team, but we had a guy named Adam Horton on the team for two consecutive years and he was MVP both years. Methodist is by far the top in D3 golf, and you would play in events against D2 and D1 students. I would strongly consider that you see who plays on the golf team at coastal because I would assume it would be very difficult to make the team...just fyi. Tell Corey he needs to get his game in shape and that Andy from Methodist says hi. Is he still dating Leah?

errr i think he is, does she have brown hair? lol. And ill make sure i tell corey that lolcheesy.gif

casey, didnt i teach you anything... you dont want to be in the golf business... you want do do something that you can make money at so you can be a member at a club like your dad.... Ask corey what its like... im sure he will tell you its really hard to be successful. Look at what happened to Brian.... He didnt cut it as a head pro because a few members didnt like him. In my opinion you dont want to go to the golf business. PS. Tell wolfe that i miss him.

-Matty

hahah didnt i teach you anything in that best ball beat down. And im still looking at other things too so i have some time

and I'll tell wolfie you said hi.
and bit bit
hows jersey?

I always thought, how cool would it be to work in the golf biz?
Worked for GC deisgn and construction firm...at least wasn't some club pro working 80 hours a week plus most holidays.

Anyway, interesting business, or at least it was in late 90s...never played so little...if you like to play, dont work in the biz, unless can be a club engineer or some PR gig.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

what i want to do is work for an OEM so, not really looking for going to work for a Club. how hard will that be to pursue?