2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2010 Cobra

easyyy

Cobra

S2 Driver

<embed src="http://videos.golfwrx.com/nuevo/player/nvplayer.swf?config=http://videos.golfwrx.com/nuevo/econfig.php?key=107" width="480" height="370" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed>

S2 Max Hybrid set

<embed src="http://videos.golfwrx.com/nuevo/player/nvplayer.swf?config=http://videos.golfwrx.com/nuevo/econfig.php?key=104" width="480" height="370" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed>

S2 Forged

<embed src="http://videos.golfwrx.com/nuevo/player/nvplayer.swf?config=http://videos.golfwrx.com/nuevo/econfig.php?key=105" width="480" height="370" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed>

Cobra S2

<embed width="480" height="370" quality="high" wmode="transparent" name="main" id="main" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://videos.golfwrx.com/nuevo/player/nvplayer.swf?config=http://videos.golfwrx.com/nuevo/econfig.php?key=106" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" />

2Y9G4222_resize.JPG2Y9G4223_resize.JPG2Y9G4224_resize.JPG2Y9G4225_resize.JPG2Y9G4226_resize.JPG2Y9G4227_resize.JPG2Y9G4228_resize.JPG2Y9G4229_resize.JPG2Y9G4231_resize.JPG2Y9G4232_resize.JPG2Y9G4233_resize.JPG2Y9G4234_resize.JPG2Y9G4235_resize.JPG2Y9G4236_resize.JPG2Y9G4237_resize.JPG2Y9G4238_resize.JPG2Y9G4239_resize.JPG2Y9G4240_resize.JPG2Y9G4241_resize.JPG2Y9G4242_resize.JPG2Y9G4243_resize.JPG2Y9G4244_resize.JPG2Y9G4245_resize.JPG2Y9G4246_resize.JPG2Y9G4247_resize.JPG2Y9G4248_resize.JPG2Y9G4249_resize.JPG2Y9G4250_resize.JPG2Y9G4251_resize.JPG2Y9G4252_resize.JPG2Y9G4253_resize.JPG2Y9G4254_resize.JPG2Y9G4255_resize.JPG2Y9G4256_resize.JPG2Y9G4257_resize.JPG2Y9G4258_resize.JPG2Y9G4259_resize.JPG2Y9G4260_resize.JPG2Y9G4261_resize.JPG2Y9G4262_resize.JPG2Y9G4263_resize.JPG2Y9G4264_resize.JPG2Y9G4265_resize.JPG2Y9G4266_resize.JPG2Y9G4267_resize.JPG2Y9G4268_resize.JPG2Y9G4269_resize.JPG2Y9G4270_resize.JPG2Y9G4271_resize.JPG2Y9G4272_resize.JPG2Y9G4273_resize.JPG2Y9G4274_resize.JPG2Y9G4275_resize.JPG2Y9G4276_resize.JPG2Y9G4277_resize.JPG2Y9G4278_resize.JPG

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work at Dicks and we've had the S2 drivers on the shelf since 1/30. The launch material was worded extrememly confusing with no official launch date and an end statement saying to put drivers on display upon reciept, so we just put them out there. I've hit the S2 and Cobra ZL side by side and the S2 outperforms it everytime. I struggle with a low launch with too much spin sometimes and the Cobra S2 9.5 launches perfect for me (about 12.5 to 13) and spin is very reasonable for my swing (2800 to 3300 rpms), which is hampered with problems with negative AOA. Also, aestechically speaking, I thought the ZL was unbelievable sexy when it came out but this S2 is pretty fierce looking, reminds me of the SuperQuad but more confidence inspiring. On mishits, the ZL reacts a bit more like a player's driver and gives a lot more feedback and the S2 has that kind of crushed feeling on every shot, I had to check the tape to see if I was mishitting it (which of course i was, i mean it is the middle of winter up here, lol) because they all felt good. I will add though that both the Voodoo shaft on the ZL and the Fit-on Max on the S2 are VERYYYY flimsy shafts at their stock length but this could possibly be remedied by simply tipping them an inch which would bring them back to a 45'' playing length. For those who would be interested, you can get the "Cobra Made For" VooDoo shaft put on the S2 for no upcharge. All in all, both GREAT drivers, but if I had to choose, the S2 gets my vote.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

bought the s2 driver(10.5 offset) on tuesday, in england price was £169 at the local american golf store which i thought was a bargain.
not tried it on the course yet, woke up to snow here again this morning. hopefully playing this saturday and really looking forward to using the new driver.

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

• 4 weeks later...

Got a chance to swing the Cobra S2 driver yesterday. As a basis, I am admittingly a fan of Cobra drivers and currently game a Cobra S9-1 Pro S. I have been very satisfied with the S9-1 Pro S and really have no reason to stray. However, Cobra then came out with the S2. I had to hit it just to satisfy my "inner ho". Let me start by saying this a very sexy looking driver. I have always loved the all/mostly black look and the S2 is a stunner. I've peaked at all the technical specs on the driver along with Cobras marketing claims, so as I evaluated the driver I kept in mind some key points. While i was testing this driver it was a breezy 50 degree day with the wind in my face, so an accurate distance report is not available. So with no further rambling, here's my thoughts on the S2 driver....

A lot of manufacturers claim to have forgiveness across the face along with adequate performance on off center hits. Cobra claims the same with their 9 point face technology. Cobras marketing states that you can pretty much hit the ball anywhere on the face and the feel is the same. I can vouch for this statement. This is the first driver in recent memory that i can say that it was tough to tell where i hit on the face without looking for a ball mark. I hit one on the toe, it felt crushed. Hit one towards the heel, it felt crushed. Find the center of the club...super, butter like crushed feeling. The "feel" of this driver is super, and will definitely appeal to those of you who like a driver that "just feels good" when you hit it. The club was fairly easy to work the ball and the trajectory for the stock shaft was a touch high for my liking. But as I stated, the weather was not ideal.

The head size on the S2 is pretty much par for the course (forgive the pun) for today's drivers. I have really hoped OEMs would start going back to smaller/sleeker head sizes. I think head size on my S9-1 is perfect and was one of the reasons it's in my bag today. The S2 is slightly larger looking without getting into the too big category for me. All things considered, it wouldn't prevent me from buying the club. Cobra has removed the dimpling in the crown which I am all for. I never really was a fan of the dimples in the crown and their absence makes for a cleaner looking club. The S2 and ZL both have the AFT (Adjustable Flight Technology) built in. This is a piece of technology I am all for. The ability to open/close the face along with purchase different shafts is great. I'm really not sure whey OEM's didn't start doing this years ago. OEM's like Callaway have been doing it for a few years, however the "technology" has been around for a long time when you consider fitting carts, etc. I truly believe all drivers should be a pick your head, pick your shaft process. During my testing I didn't get a chance to open or close the face of the driver, but it's a simple process and I may demo the driver again with the wrench just to try it out.

Ahh the shaft...I hit the S2 with the stock offering Fujikura Fit-On Max in a 65 Stiff. In the quest for amateur distance it seems a lot of OEMs have gone to 46 inch stock shafts to help the everyday hack gain a few yards. Look, I get it, its all about selling clubs, and distance sells clubs I know. But come on, do you see many pros playing 46 inch drivers? The answer is no, most play 45 or less. The longer the shaft the more club head speed, but less control. This speaks mostly to the sport of golf's desire for distance. As a consumer I'm getting tired of having to butt trim my new drivers just to get them to a standard length. I will sacrifice a couple yards to be in the fairway. As far as the shaft itself it's OK. Definitely wouldn't be my pick of shaft and if I were to purchase the club I would get a shaft that better fit me. It's once again a fairly weak stock shaft offering, however, I realize you aren't going to please everybody in this department.

Overall, the Cobra S2 is an awesome stick and definitely warrants a look from anyone looking for a new driver. As with all drivers, you will want to make sure you get paired with the right shaft. Give the S2 at try.....it just might be a new love affair.