NEW Mizuno MP Fairway wood

cb_golfer

Titanium clubface, any info?
Anyone have info on this new offering? All I have is this description from golfalot.com.

The Mizuno MP Titanium fairway wood is an elegant, high performance fairway that is fully deserving of the description "Tour ready." But don't be fooled, the sophisticated appearance shouldn't mask a club that packs quite a punch when needed.

The design of the MP Titanium was developed in close consultation with Mizuno's group of Tour professionals and the final look, slightly open at address and a compact clubhead, is ideally suited to those golfer lucky enough to be consistent ball strikers and who like the chance to work the ball both left and right.

To take the MP Titanium to the next level Mizuno have included a Hot Metal Beta Ti clubface within the design and this has delivered a sizzling impact that is as unexpected as it is welcome. In fact compared to the Mizuno F-60 the Mizuno MP Titanium fairway wood delivers an average ball speed that is some 7.3 mph faster and a longer carry of some 13.6 yards. Speed is also enhanced by the sole and crown designs which have been developed to reduced the centre of gravity and promote workability.

The Mizuno MP Titanium fairway wood combines the best of Mizuno: stunning good looks coupled with incredible performance.

mptitaniumL.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is the stock shaft on this club? in my experience the mizzy lines of woods have consistently always fallen short of expectations due to the shaft offerings. The stock shafts never do the heads justice especially in the fairways, and even the custom options never have anything near 80g, which imo is a major turnoff for better players considering mizuno woods.

PING G400 Max 10.5º w/ Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Callaway Apex/Apex Pro Combo 19 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

Mizuno simply won't be able to command that kind of money for this club or the MP-630 Fast Track. They keep trying to get Japanese level price tags but they just don't have the tour presence in the U.S. These clubs will gather dust until they get the price cut by at least half. The competition is simply too good at less money.

• 1 month later...

I have this Fway and all I can say is wow! The set up looks amazing sits behind the ball so nicely off the tee or off the deck. Square to open face and I agree with the rep its a rocket launcher feels great and quite forgiving on mishits. One thing that lets it down is the Mizzy Fubuki shaft its POO! Way too torquey and inconsistent for my swing so I have replaced it with a SYNERG 95 and the results are way better.

Tried the new Mizuno MP driver and MP fairway wood. The fairway wood and driver sets up nicely at address and has a decent compact shape. The stock Fubuki does not feel that good though. Maybe Mizuno should offer an alternative stock shaft for them.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M1 10.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 13* - Diamana S+ 70S[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro 14.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams Idea Pro A12 23* - Aldila RIPd VS Proto[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J36 PC (4-PW) - KBS Tour[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage 56TS & 60S- DG S200[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno-Bettinardi BC1[/font][/size]

The MX-700 was a nice fairway so I can only imagine this club will be a good head.

I too think Mizuno continues to miss the mark with their stock shafts. If they could use a 'real' shaft, they could see better adoption from better players.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Following is a response I copied from the Mizuno European discussion board, from Miz R&D to a post asking about the "made for Miz" Fubuki:

Re: Fubuki shafts on new MP wood range

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Posted by Grilled Cheese

Good Afternoon from the R&D crew.

We actually worked really hard with Mitsubishi on developing this shaft specifiacally for the MP-630 driver. We tested the original Fubuki structure as well as a number of slight variations to it in order to find the ideal candidate for this head.

With the original Fubuki structure, we actually had a bit more spin than we were looking for (becuase his is an MP head, we wanted as little spin as possible). What we ended up doing is going with a modified Fubuki structure where the tip section is reinforced a bit more and is a bit stiffer. The remainder of the shaft is the same EI (pretty much right in between a Blue and White Board).

The result is a shaft that waggles in your hand a bit soft (due to the weak butt section for easy loading), but actually plays very very tight and with very low spin.

I hope this helps!

-GC

Here's the full link:

http://www.mizunoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=824

I agree with the pricing issue. People are not breaking down the doors to spend that on a driver or fwy. They will fail because of this. I love mizuno but they have to get realistic with their woods. I have their mp68's and they are at a fair pricepoint so I'm confused with the woods pricing.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I had a chance yesterday to hit all the new woods at a Mizzy demo day. The 630 sets up nice but the stock Fubuki was terrible for me. $500 for the fast track version is a joke and I would imagine in 3-6 months that will be down to $299. Hybrid and FW woods were nice also but again, the stock Fubuki did not work well for me.

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

I have had the 630 in my bag for the last two days as a demo. The head is outstanding. A great feel. I notice a tendency for everyone to bash the stock "made for" shafts" -no matter the brand. For me, the stock Fubucki is a great shaft. Doesn't give me a problem with an aggressive swing and it is point and shoot. I suppose everything will change after I buy it, but for now, this is one of the best drivers I have ever played.

[quote name='J13' date='07 March 2010 - 06:50 AM' timestamp='1267973403' post='2299065']
I agree with the pricing issue. People are not breaking down the doors to spend that on a driver or fwy. They will fail because of this. I love mizuno but they have to get realistic with their woods. I have their mp68's and they are at a fair pricepoint so I'm confused with the woods pricing.
[/quote]

Really? SuperTri TP costs $499. The regular one costs $399. Superfast is $249 because it is not adjustable. The Mizzys are around the same pricing. I don't see where the failure is.

[quote name='Prof3ssor' date='07 March 2010 - 07:36 AM' timestamp='1267976206' post='2299148']
I had a chance yesterday to hit all the new woods at a Mizzy demo day. The 630 sets up nice but the stock Fubuki was terrible for me. $500 for the fast track version is a joke and I would imagine in 3-6 months that will be down to $299. Hybrid and FW woods were nice also but again, the stock Fubuki did not work well for me.
[/quote]

I found it to be a bit stiff too. You have to be a decently accurate and strong swinger for it. I may stick to my SuperTri because of that. Much more forgiving.

[quote name='Foreleft' date='07 March 2010 - 09:35 AM' timestamp='1267972523' post='2299035']
Following is a response I copied from the Mizuno European discussion board, from Miz R&D to a post asking about the "made for Miz" Fubuki:

Re: Fubuki shafts on new MP wood range

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Posted by Grilled Cheese

Good Afternoon from the R&D crew.

We actually worked really hard with Mitsubishi on developing this shaft specifiacally for the MP-630 driver. We tested the original Fubuki structure as well as a number of slight variations to it in order to find the ideal candidate for this head.

With the original Fubuki structure, we actually had a bit more spin than we were looking for (becuase his is an MP head, we wanted as little spin as possible). What we ended up doing is going with a modified Fubuki structure where the tip section is reinforced a bit more and is a bit stiffer. The remainder of the shaft is the same EI (pretty much right in between a Blue and White Board).

The result is a shaft that waggles in your hand a bit soft (due to the weak butt section for easy loading), but actually plays very very tight and with very low spin.

I hope this helps!

-GC

Here's the full link:

http://www.mizunoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=824
[/quote]

Very interesting, but Not one of Mitsubishi Rayon's shafts worked well with the head?? Not the Blue Board? not the White Board? not the Fubuki Alpha, nor Kai'li nor 'ilima???

I don't buy it. They even claim the butt is weakened! In reality I am sure the "Made for" shaft is a great shaft and works for most players, but when targeting the "Better Player", perception [u]is[/u] reality and for a premium price, you can have a different paint job but not a different shaft. If it is not a Fubuki profile, then call it a Mizuno shaft by Mitsubishi Rayon, and take off the throwing stars/snowflakes.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

I spent extensive time yesterday and today hitting the Mizzy MP 630 Fast Trac with the Fubuki. I also demoed everything else that is out and new including the FT Tour, FTi-Z Tour, Diablo Edge Tour, Cleveland DST Tour, Nike VR Tour, VR STR8 Fit, Mach Speed, Burner Superfast, R9 Super Tri and Ping I15(I did not demo the G15 because it is currrently my gamer).

For me the Mizzy was hands down the winner. Mid high boring trajectory with good roll out after hitting the ground. Dispersion was tight and feel was amazing. Cosmetically elegant looking driver with great sound. Plenty of forgiveness and the Fast Track system performs as advertised. I was very, very impressed. I also hit the CLK Hybrid and liked it also. $499 is a bit steep for the driver so I may wait until it drops in price. It is definitely worth a look.

[quote name='KintamaTP' date='07 March 2010 - 07:23 PM' timestamp='1268007815' post='2300183']
[quote name='J13' date='07 March 2010 - 06:50 AM' timestamp='1267973403' post='2299065']
[/quote]

Really? SuperTri TP costs $499. The regular one costs $399. Superfast is $249 because it is not adjustable. The Mizzys are around the same pricing. I don't see where the failure is.
[/quote]

The SuperTri TP also comes with real shafts, some of them very expensive upgrades such as the Matrix HD6. If Mizuno wants to command that much for a club, they can't put watered down versions of shafts in there. The buyers just won't go for it. Also, TM has a massive tour presence and has the "street cred" to command a that price for a club. Whether or not it's justified is debatable, but Mizuno doesn't have that kind of pull in the U.S. Market.