• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basket flag sticks at Merion and egg sandwiches at Augusta

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

[quote name='ClarkGrswld4' date='31 January 2010 - 02:41 PM' timestamp='1264948900' post='2216414']
Personally, I love courses that have the really thick black and white flagsticks with the skinny bottom like the ones being used at the Qatar Masters this week.[/quote]

You'd like my home track. We traditionally use fat wooden poles with a thinner, foot long metal 'neck' atop the cup.

For my own part, I like anything that makes you think and which offers several options from the tee. I hate courses that are wide open and simply an exercise in pulling off the driver cover 14 times. I like holes with intelligent fairway bunkering, contouring and shaping; where a long iron or fairway wood can be taken or a driver over or past the trouble depending upon the player and the conditions.

I also like a good clutch of par 3 holes. Ideally, one tough, longer hole, playing a long iron most of the time, a couple of mid length holes - say a 5, 6 or 7 iron - and one nice short one (ideally [i]really[/i] short) that's got an appropriately-sized and well protected green complex. Thankfully, my own course more or less hits the spot in this regard, with a 170 yard third, a short sixth hole at 140 yards or so, a solid par 3 in the 175 yard 11th and a very difficult 18th that plays up to 220 yards.

Another thing I like is a course that wends its way around and changes direction on a fairly regular basis. I like to see variation when it comes to prevailing winds, with not too many consecutive holes running in the same direction. My own course, again, is pretty good in this regard. Muirfield is probably the foremost example.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Every course has it's subtle quirks that appeal, or in some cases terrify. The opening hole of many courses is sometimes rather plain, but in some cases can turn the average golfers legs into jelly. Case in point is the opening hole to Wentworth's west course. It's a par 5, but the opening tee shot requires a bit of accuracy - what makes it worse is that you have to shoot over a road while they stop the traffic to allow you to tee off. A few years ago, faced with the nervous opening gambit, a certain Mr Els accompanied with a huge dog also stopped to watch our group tee off the 1st. I bottled it and replaced the driver for a 2-iron. Ernie gave us a wink as we walked off - what a relief. I much prefer the opening hole at Lytham - a 169yard par 3!

Are you playing a lot of golf with ladies mate?

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

I like attention getting difficult tight tracks that run.  Makes it easier for me and harder for most others. :D

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

As far as the course itself, I like when there are several holes that have closely mown areas (chipping areas) around the greens. I like when you have options with the short game, rather than just take out the sand/lob wedge and gouge it out.

As far as managing the golf facility, I really like when the golf shop is honest when you call and ask for information. I.e., when the greens were punched, or how busy the course is. I've already written off the golf course closest to me for repeated misinformation. (Bear Creek, I'm looking at you.)

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I like when the tee boxes are actually flat, which is apparently a rarity on most public courses. Most courses the tee boxes are either slanted side to side, or there are 2 tiers (from side to side, not front to back). When there are 2 tiers, they have a tendency to put the tee markers where the change is right in the middle of the box, which is pretty stupid. I think it should be a requirement to have a flat surface for a teeing ground.

I also like Benches near the tee boxes when I walk. Too often, waiting on the group ahead, you find yourself just standing there. It would be nice to be able to relax and take a seat.

i like courses where marshalls do their job. Sadly marshalls that do their job are about as common as dodo birds.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

i walk most of my rounds and i used to love courses that kept water on the course. it kept the weight down on my bag without carrying my own. very few have water now after a few lawsuits.

i also like the black and white flagsticks, I also like the black and white 150 pole right in the middle of the fairway. it would be fine by me if this was the only yardage marker out there.

[quote name='joeswilkins' date='31 January 2010 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1264975237' post='2217282']
An outstanding cart girl.
[/quote]
As much I like babe cart girls they have an adverse effect on pace of play.  To many doofus guys forget about golf as they are trying to hit on the babes.  

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Any very nice courses that I can play a round in 3-3 1/2 hours easily. My home course one of them. They do have hot looking cart gals but they need to come by more often in order to slow down the play. :lol:

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I like courses that have a variety of holes in terms of lenght and strategy. Long, medium and short holes with the par of 3,4 and 5.

I dont like courses that have nothing but long 8" rough around the greens,
I
hate cart paths that come into play on every tee shot, they should be out of the way not a hazard to be avoided.

I love a short downhill par 3, preferably with some trouble near by, a short par 5 that is very reachable but with trouble abound.

I like fairways that run fast but with trouble looming if you run it the wrong way.

I like it when there are plenty of liquid refreshemnts available, especially when it is hot.

I like hot cart girls to serve me the beverages.

I like a cozy clubhouse to have a drink at when finished, dark with free snacks and cold beer, and a good place to play cards.

I like the first hole to be relativley easy and the 18th to be difficult.

I like a mix of dogleg rights and lefts.

I like long par 4's to have big greens with and open path to the front of the green and no trouble in front.

I like short par 4's and 5's to have small greens or tiered greens with small target areas that require precision short iron approaches.

I like fast greens

I like firm sand, hate the fluffy stuff

I like it when the "ladies tees" are moved forward enough that the ladies can actually reach most of the holes in regulation and dont have to play every hole as a 4 shoter before they reach the green.

I like it when the slow players on the course arent buddies with the starter and go off first in the morning.

I like it when all the sprinkler heads are marked with yardage and you arent constantly looking for it.

I like it when it is only 20 yards to the next tee not 200 yards.

I like it when the staff actually acts like they appriciate your business

I like it when they have a driving range close to the first tee, or at least have one.

I like it when they have a practice area for bunkers and chipping, and I really like it when there is a practice bunker on the range.

I play a course that has a 19th hole, a real one measuring 180 yards, to finish off any unsettled bets when finished. Sweet.

I like it when the nicer courses have good twilight rates so you dont feel like you are mortaging the house to play it every now and again after work.

I like it when the rough is a manageable length so you dont spend all day looking for a ball that missed the fairway by two yards.

I like it when houses streets and cars are not in play off of the tee, unless your really really hit a bad shot.

Is all this really too much to ask for?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 - Free range balls with a purchased round of golf are always a nice touch.
2 - Chipping greens with actual cups, instead of sticks in the ground to practice up and downs.\
3 - Marshalls that tell you how the course is playing before teeing off, rather than simply calling your group and sending you off.

[quote name='Samps' date='31 January 2010 - 06:18 PM' timestamp='1264983483' post='2217570']

i also like the black and white flagsticks, I also like the black and white 150 pole right in the middle of the fairway. it would be fine by me if this was the only yardage marker out there.
[/quote]

There is a local course, that is lighted for play at night, that has sticks at 125. For the first 1/2 dozen or so rounds, I didnt know this, and couldnt understand why I was flying the greens so frequently (this was right after I had started playing). Once I found out, it made that course much more enjoyable.

[quote name='Samps' date='31 January 2010 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1264983483' post='2217570']
i walk most of my rounds and i used to love courses that kept water on the course. it kept the weight down on my bag without carrying my own. very few have water now after a few lawsuits.
[/quote]

What caused the lawsuits? people messing with the water?

[quote name='Fyrrwin' date='02 February 2010 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1265138127' post='2222505']
[/quote]

On July 19, 2002, Nils Beeman died on his 15th birthday after drinking contaminated water while playing in a junior golf tournament in Phoenix. The coroner’s report showed that Beeman choked on his own vomit after contracting a Norwalk virus that inflicted 84 golfers during the tournament. Officials believe the virus spread through contaminated drinking water and ice from golf course water coolers, but the medical examiner’s office could not trace the virus to a specific source.

The victim’s parents filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Thunderbirds Golf Club and its management company, Western Golf Properties. Eventually they received a settlement of $3 million.

X________________________________ Sign Here

I like courses that actually have markings on the sprinklers, yardage books, and that pass out tee sheets before you tee off. I am sick of courses relying on GPS so much. IMO part of the fun is walking a course and figuring out your yardage and the type of shot you need to hit. Yes I might misjudge some pins and distances but I have found that I play 3 strokes better per round.

Living in Florida has really made me hate polo golf....drive up, grab a club, whack the ball, repeat....

Give me good greens where the ball runs true and I'm happy

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

[quote name='Fyrrwin' date='02 February 2010 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1265138127' post='2222505']
[quote name='Samps' date='31 January 2010 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1264983483' post='2217570']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Bacteria and other things in the water (from irregular cleaning of the jugs) that people in N. America no longer have immunity from due to our germaphobic lifestyle. A few people got sick and got lawyers and now you rarely find water jugs at a course in N.A. Course owners also figured out that if you remove the free water people have to buy beverages from them.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize