2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Changing from flighted rifle to . . . . ?

Baconator

Need more height (and distance would be nice too :)
I'm really hoping that someone here can give me some help. I've had my X-20 Tours with Project X flighted 6.0 shafts for two years now. I love the feel and accuracy (as good as I could hope for given the person holding it), but the launch angle of my irons is too low. Yes, I certainly could use more lessons, but even with taking lessons over the past few years I'm still struggling to get proper height out of my irons. Since Golf Town has their annual sale on shafts and grips on right now I was wondering what kind of benefits I might expect with reshafting the irons with something with a lighter flex and perhaps lighter weight as well. I've tried a variety of different irons over the past week and after getting over the initial adjustment was surprised at how much I enjoyed hitting the MX-200s in a regular True Temper Dynalite Gold XR. This is a much different shaft than what I'm used to and it did take a while to dial them in, but when I did I was hitting the ball much closer to a proper launch angle (6-iron went from 18-18.5* to 20-20.5*) and (according to their launch monitor) much further than I'm used to (carrying >170 vs. around 162-165). I know this launch angle is probably still too low and I intend to work on that again this season, but it certainly seems like a step in the right direction. I guess I'm just wondering if I could get similar benefits from switching shafts out of my current irons and, if so, what shafts I should be looking at. I know I can get TTDGR300's for $12/ea right now and the SL version are only $2.40 more so this is certainly a cheaper experiment than a new set of irons (even if they're not as much fun).

Any advice is appreciated!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PX is a lower ball flight. Try Royal Precision Flighted Rifle 6.0's or 5.5's. You'll maintain the feel you love but the technology will get the ball airborne. If those don't suit your fancy then you probably need to play a "high launch" DG or something.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

[quote name='Baconator' date='02 February 2010 - 07:54 AM' timestamp='1265118890' post='2221792']
I'm really hoping that someone here can give me some help. I've had my X-20 Tours with Project X flighted 6.0 shafts for two years now. I love the feel and accuracy (as good as I could hope for given the person holding it), but the launch angle of my irons is too low. Yes, I certainly could use more lessons, but even with taking lessons over the past few years I'm still struggling to get proper height out of my irons. Since Golf Town has their annual sale on shafts and grips on right now I was wondering what kind of benefits I might expect with reshafting the irons with something with a lighter flex and perhaps lighter weight as well. I've tried a variety of different irons over the past week and after getting over the initial adjustment was surprised at how much I enjoyed hitting the MX-200s in a regular True Temper Dynalite Gold XR. This is a much different shaft than what I'm used to and it did take a while to dial them in, but when I did I was hitting the ball much closer to a proper launch angle (6-iron went from 18-18.5* to 20-20.5*) and (according to their launch monitor) much further than I'm used to (carrying >170 vs. around 162-165). I know this launch angle is probably still too low and I intend to work on that again this season, but it certainly seems like a step in the right direction. I guess I'm just wondering if I could get similar benefits from switching shafts out of my current irons and, if so, what shafts I should be looking at. I know I can get TTDGR300's for $12/ea right now and the SL version are only $2.40 more so this is certainly a cheaper experiment than a new set of irons (even if they're not as much fun).

[/quote]

Being that you're playing the same shaft as I am, it might be you're current shafts are too stiff for your SS.  The inherent design of a properly fitted "flighted" shaft is to assist in getting the ball up.   Last wk end I played with a guy that had 5.5 flighted in his irons.  He realized a considerably higher trajectory because he was properly fitted.

I like my current medium high trajectory; carry is 160-170 depending on how hard I swing; albeit lower then the trajectory I get with standard PX 6.0 shaft, which I also have and carries the same.  Difference between those two shafts for me is flighted has a slightly stiffer butt section which is better for my current swing.  

There is no such thing as a "proper" launch angle; there's only what the user prefers and is optimal for his SS.  Dynalite is a mid-bend shaft, much different then either PX or DGR300's.  PX standards have a high bend, similar to DG.  Sounds like you should find out what your SS is and then consider shaft profiles.  

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='Baconator' date='02 February 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1265118890' post='2221792']

[/quote]

what's your hcp?
I used to use AP2 with PX 5.0 flighted and the balls were moon shots. I was not fitted correctly. But damn consistent on the distance!

By the launch monitor, my KBS Tour S, better fitted to my swing, has the ball flight just right.
Most people I know are trying hard to get the ball flight down, instead of up. I play in Holland, too much wind.

The PX flighted is suppose to bring up the ball flight. Maybe you should try the standard Rifle flighted. Either way, don't buy any shafts without getting a proper fitting. PX and standard Rifle might work differently for you.

It can be also swing weight, your swing path, your swing... are you coming down on the ball?

Thanks so much for all of the replies!

I now tend to believe that the 6.0 flex is way too much for my current swing speed. I went to get fitted by an award-winning golf pro to try and ensure that I got the best fit possible, but I think his efforts were compromised somewhat by the fact that the X-20 Tours only came standard with a 5.0 flighted or 6.0. When I was fitted it was at an outdoor range and the pro just watched me hitting the 5.0s and the 6.0s and asked me which felt better. I didn't have a strong preference, but thought the 6.0 felt slightly better so that's what I ended up with. Since then I seem to have developed more lag and deloft my clubs more which has resulted in my shots playing fairly well into the wind but losing distance otherwise. I will have to take my X-20 Tour 6-iron with me the next time I go to the monitor and see what the difference in launch angles, etc. are between it and other clubs. I do get steep and my miss tends toward thin shots, although I can dig a trench from time to time. My HC is in the mid-upper teens, but iron play is often what keeps me going. My putting is bad and my driving, while occasionally acceptable, tends to be a huge liability. As far as swing speed, the monitor I've been using doesn't seem to be very accurate in assessing it (according to store staff anyways), but my driver swing speed tends to be somewhere in the mid-90s and my 6-iron speed seems to be around the low 80s. I went to get fitted by an award-winning golf pro to try and ensure that I got the best fit possible, but I think his efforts were compromised somewhat by the fact that the X-20 Tours only came standard with a 5.0 flighted or 6.0.

I've been given a few things to think over and I appreciate the time taken by all of you - thanks!

In the last month I changed from my beloved PX 6.0 in my Bridgestones to a Nippon stiff. My ball flight is higher, carries farther and my dispersion dramatically improved. I made a bit of a change at the same time. But I think the shaft helped me with the change.

BTW, I bought some KBS Tour shafts initially and tried them a few rounds. I sold them on eBay Sunday.

Also, I have more than one set of the exact same Bridgestone heads, so when I make a shaft change I can do side by side comparisons.

What kind of awards is a pro winning that has you swing a single club in 2 shafts, with no other monitoring equipment, and leave the decision up to what "feels better to you"? That doesn't sound like a fitting session to me.

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

BenJ, you said what I was thinking. A fitting where 5.0 and 6.0 are the options, and asking a mid-index about how it feels... :D

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='BenJ' date='02 February 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1265145102' post='2222779']
What kind of awards is a pro winning that has you swing a single club in 2 shafts, with no other monitoring equipment, and leave the decision up to what "feels better to you"? That doesn't sound like a fitting session to me.
[/quote]

There was a little more to it than that - I did hit off of a lie board and I tried a number of different irons, but once I had selected the irons that's how he determined the shaft. He's the pro at a very small club with no real monitoring equipment. I will say he is a good instructor and that's the award this particular guy won - the best teacher in my general region. I'm not saying he was the best clubfitter, but he is a good teacher :D. I decided to go to him since his pro shop is the only place in the area that actually allows you to hit clubs off of grass. Beggars can't be choosy. I certainly know more now than I did then, but I'm still having to make a lot of guesses unless I can drive a few hours to get fit by someone with equipment AND an outdoor range.

Regarding EatSleepBreatheGolf's statement, I was just trying the Nickent 4DX Pro's with the Nippon NS Pro 1180GH shafts and liked them a lot. Given that you can currently get a set of forged irons with 3 and 4 hybrids for $225 I'm seriously cosidering getting them and trying them for a while. If I decide I want to try a different shaft in the X-20 Tours I can pull the shafts from the Nickents to put in them and see how that works.

[quote name='Baconator' date='02 February 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1265150287' post='2223016']
[quote name='BenJ' date='02 February 2010 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1265145102' post='2222779']
[/quote]

There was a little more to it than that - I did hit off of a lie board and I tried a number of different irons, but once I had selected the irons that's how he determined the shaft. He's the pro at a very small club with no real monitoring equipment. I will say he is a good instructor and that's the award this particular guy won - the best teacher in my general region. I'm not saying he was the best clubfitter, but he is a good teacher :D. I decided to go to him since his pro shop is the only place in the area that actually allows you to hit clubs off of grass. Beggars can't be choosy. I certainly know more now than I did then, but I'm still having to make a lot of guesses unless I can drive a few hours to get fit by someone with equipment AND an outdoor range.

Regarding EatSleepBreatheGolf's statement, I was just trying the Nickent 4DX Pro's with the Nippon NS Pro 1180GH shafts and liked them a lot. Given that you can currently get a set of forged irons with 3 and 4 hybrids for $225 I'm seriously cosidering getting them and trying them for a while. If I decide I want to try a different shaft in the X-20 Tours I can pull the shafts from the Nickents to put in them and see how that works.
[/quote]

It sounds to me the 6.0 is too stiff for you and hitting off the lie board will help with the lie but not necessarily tell you which shaft you need.
For a proper fitting, you will need different heads and different shafts for comparison and a launch monitor helps but if you are fitted outdoors, I guess watching the ball flight will suffice.
There is really no one shaft better than others, it is all personal and how the shaft fits to your swing.
You may want to go softer and then you can swing more relaxed and let the club do the work and get more consistency. Distance is not the major factor, though it helps, consistency is more important.
Good luck.