Pencil Bags

Which is the best?
These lightweight bags are becomming very popular in the UK, a lot of golfers are opting for lightweight (< 2lbs) sunday bags as a preferred choice over their heavier stand bags.

I was forced into using one recently due to a shoulder injury (will not use a trolley) and have now found I actually prefer it, as it's so light and easy to carry and transport around.

So, which do you think is best?

Personally I have the Mizuno and the Ping Moon-Lite, prefer the Ping due to the rigid top.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ClarkGrswld4' date='04 February 2010 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1265333180' post='2228187']
i have a Ping Moon-Lite II and love it but wish it had a double strap
[/quote]

+ 1

I have the moon-lite I and although a double strap would be absolutely the best, you do have to [b]give the Ping designers a lot of credit for designing the rigid part of the strap[/b]: saves the knees and the back on us older guys since you don't have to bend down to get the bag off of the ground. Friggin brilliant, yet simple, invention.

I own and use all four bags in the poll. If I had to keep one, it would be the Titleist with the dual strap. You might still be able to find one online. The Titleist is well sewn and durable. I have had problems with the pocket seams on the Ping and Sun Mountain. The Mizuno is a tight squeeze for a full set but is the only one that comes with a rain hood. If you need waterproofing, go with the Scratch Sac. If you need a dual strap and can't get the older Titlest, the Sun Mountan X Strap is a good bag; the Titleist is just of higher quality and has great pockets.

Epic Max LS 10.5

Steelhead XR 3-Heaven-9Ws

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Huntington Beach Soft Premier 8

Vero X1

[quote name='goldwolf ' date='05 February 2010 - 06:12 AM' timestamp='1265368366' post='2228837']

I actually prefer a single strap, [b]kind of reminds me of the days pre stand bags[/b] :)
[/quote]

Yeah, when I carry the Moon-lite bag I kinda feel like I am a teenager again back on the muni course where I started to play the game ( over 30 years ago)

[quote name='goldwolf ' date='05 February 2010 - 06:12 AM' timestamp='1265368366' post='2228837']
The Mizuno bag would be superb, if it had a rigid top, I find that with just a nylon top it makes getting clubs in/out a hassle. The moon-lite has a moulded top and makes club removal so much easier.

I actually prefer a single strap, kind of reminds me of the days pre stand bags :)
[/quote]

[quote name='parpar41' date='05 February 2010 - 08:02 AM' timestamp='1265374955' post='2228897']

I actually prefer a single strap, [b]kind of reminds me of the days pre stand bags[/b] :)
[/quote]

Yeah, when I carry the Moon-lite bag I kinda feel like I am a teenager again back on the muni course where I started to play the game ( over 30 years ago)
[/quote]Ah yes, the single strap Sunday bag, I'm still a muni course walker at heart even though I play mostly at a private club now.

I agree that the Ping top is excellent and handles a full set very well. If you need to get a rain cover, a combination towell/rain hood is a good option for the Moonlite. Happy golfing!

Epic Max LS 10.5

Steelhead XR 3-Heaven-9Ws

0211 5-GW

Glide 2.0 WS 54

Rally 58

Huntington Beach Soft Premier 8

Vero X1

• 8 months later...

i have an old titleist and scratch sac

i prefer the mizuno for the waterproof and also mizuno offers the bigger pockets which i love!

when i was a junior golfer tournaments in the summer i would use the pencil bag which was the titleist and the pockets were too small for snacks and water

wish the mizuno was around back then, i wouldn;t of dehydrated haha

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I have the Titleist sunday bag and like it a lot for a quick 9. The best bag ever was the older Ping Mantis bag. Talk about a super light bag with a manual stand. It was a perfect balance between a stand bag and a pencil bag.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Titleist one, got to say I don't like it much. The strap rides up and basically forces the bag to be carried at a 45 degree angle, gets uncomfortable after a few holes. But I suppose thats why it was on sale... should have stumped up more cash for the ping!

Adams XTD 10.5
TM RBZ Stage 2 16.5* or PING G25 17* Hyd
PING G25 20*, 23*, 27*, 31*
PING G30 Irons 6 thru S
Cleveland Niblick (2008) 49* 56* or
PING EYE 2 Gorge S & L
Bobby Grace F-22 Long Putter

I could go on and on all day about how much I love the Titleist bag and how much I hate the Ping bag. I have owned one Ping bag and I'm on my 2nd Titleist bag, because I love it so much.

The ping bag has no padding - try walking with 2-3 clubshafts digging into your back - and that awful gimmicky plastic stand-up strap chafing on your right arm - and your towel falling out of the too-large towel loop every hole.

The Titleist bag has a more flexible club opening - the Ping bag forces you to only be able to carry a maximum of 4 clubs in the top and jam everything else together in the bottom - with my Titleist bag I have them split about 50/50 with putter, woods, and 3/4/5 iron in the top and 6-LW in the bottom. The towel loop is sized so that your towel stays in (although I tend to loop my towel into the clubs these days, so I guess I could do that with the Ping, too, but still.)

The newest version of the Titleist bag has an updated drink pocket that works awesome and a super comfy strap. The only thing I'll concede would be nice to have is a loop for the left hand, but it's never bothered me not having one.

The best test is to find them at a store and spend a few minutes with each. Pack 14 clubs into each one and walk around the store a while. Pull a club out, put it back. Feel the weight of the clubs and see which one is more comfortable.

There seems to be a lot of love for the Ping bag here, but if you do this before buying I almost guarantee you will agree that the Ping bag is uncomfortable and poorly thought out compared to the Titleist bag.

Edit: by the way, I believe the Ping's stand up strap to be a total gimmick for this reason: Any time you pull a headcover off whether it is driver, wood, or putter, you're going to have to put it on the ground. You're going to have to bend over all the way to the ground to pick up the headcover, then bend up slightly and pick up the bag by the strap.

If you use any other bag, you bend down, grab the strap, bend up slightly until the strap is taut, and then pick up the weight of the bag - before that, you're not picking up any weight, so it doesn't matter. Anyone with a back that's so bad that they can't bend down to pick up a headcover off the ground probably shouldn't carry a sunday bag at all.

Sorry for the long post, but I am a Sunday bag devotee, and I like to discuss the various aspects of walking!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='QWKDTSN' timestamp='1288585101' post='2768485']
I could go on and on all day about how much I love the Titleist bag and how much I hate the Ping bag. I have owned one Ping bag and I'm on my 2nd Titleist bag, because I love it so much.

The ping bag has no padding - try walking with 2-3 clubshafts digging into your back - and that awful gimmicky plastic stand-up strap chafing on your right arm - and your towel falling out of the too-large towel loop every hole.

The Titleist bag has a more flexible club opening - the Ping bag forces you to only be able to carry a maximum of 4 clubs in the top and jam everything else together in the bottom - with my Titleist bag I have them split about 50/50 with putter, woods, and 3/4/5 iron in the top and 6-LW in the bottom. The towel loop is sized so that your towel stays in (although I tend to loop my towel into the clubs these days, so I guess I could do that with the Ping, too, but still.)

The newest version of the Titleist bag has an updated drink pocket that works awesome and a super comfy strap. The only thing I'll concede would be nice to have is a loop for the left hand, but it's never bothered me not having one.

The best test is to find them at a store and spend a few minutes with each. Pack 14 clubs into each one and walk around the store a while. Pull a club out, put it back. Feel the weight of the clubs and see which one is more comfortable.

There seems to be a lot of love for the Ping bag here, but if you do this before buying I almost guarantee you will agree that the Ping bag is uncomfortable and poorly thought out compared to the Titleist bag.

Edit: by the way, I believe the Ping's stand up strap to be a total gimmick for this reason: Any time you pull a headcover off whether it is driver, wood, or putter, you're going to have to put it on the ground. You're going to have to bend over all the way to the ground to pick up the headcover, then bend up slightly and pick up the bag by the strap.

If you use any other bag, you bend down, grab the strap, bend up slightly until the strap is taut, and then pick up the weight of the bag - before that, you're not picking up any weight, so it doesn't matter. Anyone with a back that's so bad that they can't bend down to pick up a headcover off the ground probably shouldn't carry a sunday bag at all.

Sorry for the long post, but I am a Sunday bag devotee, and I like to discuss the various aspects of walking!
[/quote]

I totally disagree with your assessment of the Ping Moon-lite bag. I found it to be very comfortable. No clubs ever dig into my back. Also, with 14 clubs, I never have a problem with them getting stuck. That's why the rigid top works so well.
The stiff strap works very well. You don't have to put the headcovers on the ground. You can place them through the carry handle or stick it through a couple clubs. No bending at all then.

If you do put them on the ground , that's bending over only 50 % of the time. The other times, there is no bending with using the irons. With [b]your[/b] bag your bending over 100% of the time.

I found the Ping bag to be so comfortable that I don't even use my Clicgear push cart anymore. The carrying, with the Ping, is that much easier and comfortable. I was even surprised that the one strap works so well. I have sloping shoulders and the Ping never wants to slide off. To me, it can't even compare to the Titleist bag.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I looked at all of those, but ended up buying the TaylorMade Quiver bag, which seemed to have a more robust base on it.

If you want to play in the rain, I'd recommend the Seaforth Slicker bag cover, which rolls up pretty small and is very waterproof. A pencil bag will get very wet otherwise because you are continually laying it on the wet ground. I still prefer them to stand bags though.

I might get a Mackenzie Ballistic this year - the nylon version of the much more expensive leather bag. I have seen exceptional user reviews about the Ballistic, and logo-free golf bags have always appealed to me!

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I've had some or all of these in the search for the perfect pencil bag. All of them either don't have a dual strap or a rain hood. Both of which are a must for me.

Anyhow, I came across the Cleveland Nano last week. This has both, plus a solid base and is big enough for a full set. It also has plenty of pockets and looks to be well made. After one round I'm really pleased and all for under £30.

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1326356763' post='4070245']
I looked at all of those, but ended up buying the TaylorMade Quiver bag, which seemed to have a more robust base on it.

[/quote]

Hey. I also feel like the Taylormade would be a good choice. It is nice to know it has a reinforced foot. What were some of the other deciding factors for you over say the 2012 Titleist or Mizuno Scratch Sac?

[quote name='hrossroth' timestamp='1326380106' post='4070827']
[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1326356763' post='4070245']

[/quote]

Hey. I also feel like the Taylormade would be a good choice. It is nice to know it has a reinforced foot. What were some of the other deciding factors for you over say the 2012 Titleist or Mizuno Scratch Sac?
[/quote]

I felt the pockets worked well. There are three - one for balls, a long one for clothing, and a smaller one for tees/valuables etc. Also has a good sized towel ring, a few places to hang a bag tag, a double strap (which I liked carrying either with the dual strap or just with the top strap). It even has a mesh water bottle holder, and one of those hemispherical plastic ball marking things with the lines and shapes stencils.

I chose the one in black with white trim, which looked very classy and was a good match for my 200 series Taylormade 2-Wood and Rescue Mid 3 Hybrid headcovers. I generally use this bag with 2W, 3H, 5,7,9 irons, a SW and a Putter, but it will certainly take a full set. For £35 I thougt it was a good package; remains to be seen how durable it will prove to be. It is not waterproof, just in case anyone was wondering, but that Seaforth Slicker I mentioned earlier is great in the rain (and would be on any bag, pencil, stand, cart or tour )

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Great info. That is essentially the exact club setup that I would use it for. The Taylor Made has basically all the features that i would want in a sunday bag. It is similar to the Titleist one except with double straps. I think that the double strap option outweighs any higher quality material/construction that might possibly be found in the Titleist version.