Ok, I know I'm going to get hammered for this

cschorer1979

First off, I have to say this website is fantastic! Just joined a few days ago and it is without a doubt the top golf talk site on the web.

Second, over the last few days of reading posts I have noticed several people who go to retail golf shops to try the latest equipment. They also seem to get their numbers from the store launch monitor and THEN go purchase the club on ebay. Now I am not saying everyone does this, but it seems that there is a large percentage of people on this board who do.

My question is, why do people do this? I totally understand you can usually find clubs for hundreds less on ebay then you would find it in a retail store, but do people realize if this continues to happen we will not have speciality golf stores to go visit and test this product? Once again, I completely understand why people do this (to save cash) but why would you go to a retail shop and waste a retail salesperson's time or use the technology that they spent thousands on to purchase your equipment some where else?

Bottom line, if you are going to purchase on ebay, I personally believe you shouldn't use the tools of a retail shop just so you can save some cash. I know I'm going to get hammered for this post, just thought I would post my 2-cents.

Once again, this board is great!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the site!!! I here what your saying but I will not over pay the large chain shops for a product/club that I can find on the web for a fraction of the price. I am not against paying to use there equipment and monitors, But they offer demo's and equipment to test products for free many people like myself are gonna use it to there advantage. Just my .02.

Taylormade R1 10.5*
Callaway X Hot 15*
Adams Speedline VST 18*
Bridgestone J40 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 50,54,60*
Odyssey Metal X #6 35"

I 100% agree with you and say it on here all the time. The same people wonder why the big box retailers cannot afford to pay knowledgeable (not to say there aren't some) employees. Even more annoying is the guy that purposely goes to embarrass the guy that works 2 days a week in a golf shop and heaven forbid he doesn't know everything about every piece of equipment sold there.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I agree that it is a problem but it is not something that is going to stop anytime soon. I always try to support local businesses but the prices on their clubs are astronomical . Truth being told, if I had to buy from them then I wouldn't buy clubs at all and that would hurt the golf industry as a whole. So the way I look at it I'm not hurting their business at all b/c I can't afford them anyway. Also, I rarely waste a salesperson's time.

[quote name='Dizzub' date='21 February 2010 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1266799862' post='2267859']
I 100% agree with you and say it on here all the time. The same people wonder why the big box retailers cannot afford to pay knowledgeable (not to say there aren't some) employees. Even more annoying is the guy that purposely goes to embarrass the guy that works 2 days a week in a golf shop and heaven forbid he doesn't know everything about every piece of equipment sold there.
[/quote]

This is very annoying. About a 4th of the time I'm in my golf shop they always have this loser come into the store badgering an employee to get every little detail when it is obvious he's not completely sure. Just want to punch those people in the mouth.

Yeah, welcome to the 21st century economy. Ask the hardware store owner about Home Depot. Ask the local butcher about Whole Foods. I don't like it either, and yet I did the same thing. However, the golf shop that fitted me had a reasonable fitting fee ($60) you paid that was refunded if you bought the clubs from them--most charge more like $100. It was still worth it to buy my clubs on-line and then take them to a club maker guy in town to have the wedges flattened out (lie angle) and I used him to regrip my entire set with my beloved Ping cords (because I am so over doing grips...and have been since like 1995).

Golf is a strange industry in that margins are all over the place. I mean, the driver I got last year for $300 can easily be bought not even one year later for $190 or even less!

[quote name='j-rob' date='21 February 2010 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1266800025' post='2267866']
I agree that it is a problem but it is not something that is going to stop anytime soon. I always try to support local businesses but the prices on their clubs are astronomical . Truth being told, if I had to buy from them then I wouldn't buy clubs at all and that would hurt the golf industry as a whole. [b]So the way I look at it I'm not hurting their business at all b/c I can't afford them anyway[/b]. Also, I rarely waste a salesperson's time.
[/quote]

I can see the reasoning in this. I usually buy golf balls, tees, gloves, etc. from my local shop and I've purchased 2 sets of irons from them in the past year. In that same period I've purchased 3 or 4 sets of irons online. I've purchased a couple of putters from my local shop and probably twice that online. I guess I try to spread around the money a bit.

[quote name='elrey23' date='21 February 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1266800248' post='2267874']
[quote name='j-rob' date='21 February 2010 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1266800025' post='2267866']
I agree that it is a problem but it is not something that is going to stop anytime soon. I always try to support local businesses but the prices on their clubs are astronomical . Truth being told, if I had to buy from them then I wouldn't buy clubs at all and that would hurt the golf industry as a whole. [b]So the way I look at it I'm not hurting their business at all b/c I can't afford them anyway[/b]. Also, I rarely waste a salesperson's time.
[/quote]

I can see the reasoning in this. I usually buy golf balls, tees, gloves, etc. from my local shop and I've purchased 2 sets of irons from them in the past year. In that same period I've purchased 3 or 4 sets of irons online. I've purchased a couple of putters from my local shop and probably twice that online. I guess I try to spread around the money a bit.
[/quote]

Exactly, if I can afford to buy locally then I always will. If they are even close then I always buy from them.

I know what you mean. I don't do the ebay thing much cause its hard to tell the real from the many fakes out there. This weekend I went to a golf store to try the new TM SuperTri. Tried it, liked it. I didn't buy one from them. They didn't have the TP shaft version that I wanted in stock. I would have paid $499 + tax if they had it. Good thing they did not cause I came home started shopping around and ended up buying it straight up for $70 less from a different store. Shopping around helps.

Welcome to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

[quote name='j-rob' date='21 February 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1266800025' post='2267866']
I agree that it is a problem but it is not something that is going to stop anytime soon. I always try to support local businesses but the prices on their clubs are astronomical . Truth being told, if I had to buy from them then I wouldn't buy clubs at all and that would hurt the golf industry as a whole. So the way I look at it I'm not hurting their business at all b/c I can't afford them anyway. Also, I rarely waste a salesperson's time.
[/quote]

When you say astronomical what exactly do you mean or expect for a golf club to cost? Do you buy the latest and greatest equipment new on eBay? Its not like these golf shops have choice on what they want to charge on new clubs. They make like $100 on a brand new driver, that's not very much really. Its almost like a no win because people whine about absolutely everything, used club trade in value but then also whine if the used club section is priced too high and prices on everything. I had a guy today tell me he was going to buy the putter for $89, he gave me a look and was almost in disbelief that I asked him to pay $95 and some change for the tax.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

i buy my accessories from the store and usually putters and i see where you are coming from
but the margins on golf shops is just ridiculous, especially here in australia.

you cant get a decent set of new irons under $1000 adn i just cant afford that
i wish i could buy them over that counter but at those prices its not an option usually

and when i could get a set of nickent 4dx irons with 2 hybrids which are top rated for A$200 delivered i wasnt gonna pass that up

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

You are absolutely right, most shops make only $100 profit on a $399 driver. People don't take into consideration all the expenses from a retail business: rent/utilities/shop help...etc.

Bottom line, I am very concerned that one day we are not going to have golf speciality stores, we have already seen so many go out of business over the past 2 years.

[quote name='-GoldenHawk-' date='21 February 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1266800072' post='2267868']
[quote name='Dizzub' date='21 February 2010 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1266799862' post='2267859']
[/quote]

This is very annoying. About a 4th of the time I'm in my golf shop they always have this loser come into the store badgering an employee to get every little detail when it is obvious he's not completely sure. Just want to punch those people in the mouth.
[/quote]

Rage issues? lol

[quote name='elrey23' date='21 February 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1266800248' post='2267874']
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with buying equipment online. The thing that bugs me are the guys that come to the shop, demo everything mulitple times have you watch them hit the clubs and get your opinion. Then they want to haggle you on a price, a week later they come in with that driver you recommended with a brand new cover on it that they didn't buy from you. So basically after all of that you spent about an hour of your time for free to genuinely help someone only for them to turn around and buy elsewhere to save what? $50 or $100?

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='Dizzub' date='21 February 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1266800716' post='2267892']
[quote name='j-rob' date='21 February 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1266800025' post='2267866']
[/quote]

When you say astronomical what exactly do you mean or expect for a golf club to cost? Do you buy the latest and greatest equipment new on eBay? Its not like these golf shops have choice on what they want to charge on new clubs. They make like $100 on a brand new driver, that's not very much really. Its almost like a no win because people whine about absolutely everything, used club trade in value but then also whine if the used club section is priced too high and prices on everything. I had a guy today tell me he was going to buy the putter for $89, he gave me a look and was almost in disbelief that I asked him to pay $95 and some change for the tax.
[/quote]

By astronomical I mean that it is pretty far out of my price range. I expect a golf club to cost what it costs but that doesn't mean that I should have to buy it new. I browse new clubs in stores and buy used online. Also, fwiw I'm not "whining" about prices I'm just responding to the OP.

i buy most of my stuff in stores, with the rate that most companies are releasing products you can get previous generation stuff for great discounts. I'd rather have brand new from the store than slightly used or questionable sellers on Ebay. And when it comes to brand new stuff i want it's tough to get that on Ebay anyway.

the impact of ebay is exaggerated, there has always been a market for used clubs even before the internet. And even now those clubs come from somewhere before going on ebay, likely a big box store

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Dizzub' date='21 February 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1266801074' post='2267903']
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with buying equipment online. The thing that bugs me are the guys that come to the shop, demo everything mulitple times have you watch them hit the clubs and get your opinion. Then they want to haggle you on a price, a week later they come in with that driver you recommended with a brand new cover on it that they didn't buy from you. So basically after all of that you spent about an hour of your time for free to genuinely help someone only for them to turn around and buy elsewhere [size="3"][b]to save what? $50 or $100?[/b][/size]
[/quote]

That's a fair difference for some people. If I can save that much, then I will and I'll do it every time. It is my hard earned money and when it comes down to it, it's not personal, it's business. Right?

most that do it would pay for launch monitor time if that was an option... but alot of places and including my town only have a dicks, and one pretty decent golf shop but they rarely even have theirs hooked up , a vector... hey people test drive cars all the time and buy them the other place... golf is a customer service game,, giving the customer knowledge may lead to him coming back and buying stuff. but a bad customer service and he won't be back... i don't know many mom and pops the sell big name equipment anymore anyways and most have no problem using the big store stuff for free as they sell alot more stuff than golf,,,,,, they just want you to keep walking though the door.. balls is where the real money is made.....

I would have purchased mine that day if the store had what i wanted. I had no problem giving them my business. Even though the price was higher. There is something to having it now rather than waiting a week or two. I guess I have a problem when it comes to that.

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

[quote name='j-rob' date='22 February 2010 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1266801358' post='2267918']
[quote name='Dizzub' date='21 February 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1266801074' post='2267903']
[/quote]

[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with buying equipment online. The thing that bugs me are the guys that come to the shop, demo everything mulitple times have you watch them hit the clubs and get your opinion. Then they want to haggle you on a price, a week later they come in with that driver you recommended with a brand new cover on it that they didn't buy from you. So basically after all of that you spent about an hour of your time for free to genuinely help someone only for them to turn around and buy elsewhere [size="3"][b]to save what? $50 or $100?[/b][/size]
[/quote]

That's a fair difference for some people. If I can save that much, then I will and I'll do it every time. It is my hard earned money and when it comes down to it, it's not personal, it's business. Right?
[/quote]

+1 ur spot on there mate

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

To answer the OP's question...because I'm a poor man playing a rich mans game. I do try to buy balls and other smallish items from my pro. But I have a wife and 2 kids, a house, 2 cars, about $9k in prop taxes (thanks for nuttin NY), and a seemingly never ending list of 'other' monthly nuts I have to cover. So long story short, if can save a few Benjamins on fleabay...sorry big box stores.

[quote name='shorrrno' date='21 February 2010 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1266801614' post='2267930']
[quote name='j-rob' date='22 February 2010 - 11:15 AM' timestamp='1266801358' post='2267918']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

+1 ur spot on there mate
[/quote]

Then maybe you shouldn't be buying new equipment anyway. Your hard earned money, so the people working in the shops helping you aren't working hard too? You missed the point, you picked out a driver based on help from someone in a shop. Don't waste a guy in the shops time and buy the wrong driver next time and save that $50. You know courses pay for demo clubs too right?

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

If people are honestly saying that they would pay more for and item they could get 20 percent plus cheaper in this economy, I have to say they are either nuts or just plain stupid! Most guys working at Dicks or any other large box store are still getting paid for there time. Older people who don't use computers will still buy from these places. These are also the same guys that don't know anything about launch or spin.....they will look at one number and that is distance!!

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='T REX' date='21 February 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1266802229' post='2267960']
It's always best to support your local business when you can
[/quote]

I agree, and I try to as much as I can. I know my pro suffers (and the poor guy has 3 kids...1 which he adopted), so once a year I buy a wedge or another cheap club or clothing item.

I try clubs at the store then buy online and have no issue with it. For one, I always only demo the clubs if they are in the used section, this way I do not have to ask for any help in getting the club taped up and I am wasting no ones time. Luckily I have a nice local large store that has a great used section with a lot of the newer stuff ready for demo. For example, they had a slightly used set of MP-68's yesterday that I demoed for a few minutes, no one in the store even knew I tried them, just grabbed the 6 iron and went off to the back. They wanted $829 though for the set of 4-PW with DGS300 shafts and a few of the clubs had some decent ball wear on them, I went online and found the same set brand new for $75 less plus no tax and free shipping... which would you buy?? What was amusing is that they had a brand new set of 3-PW with the same shafts for $899, had this used set been say $650-$675, I would have bought them. Another example, they had a decent set of Nike VR Blades, 4-PW with S300 stock shafts, I would rate them a 7 out of 10 as far as condition was concerned, the 4,5,6 iron were okay but the 8,9,PW were showing some wear, they wanted $779 for the set. New they can be had for $899 3-PW and I found a few sets online in like new condition for $599 with the same set up. So as you can see, I can save a lot of money buy buying online.

I do spend money in this store throughout the year though, just not on clubs. I buy most of my balls, bags, shoes, clothes, towels and other accessories there so I still spend a decent amount with them on an annual basis. Easily over $1k a year. I typically buy a new bag each year and buy at least two pair of shoes each year and I never buy that stuff online. So there is my justification.

[quote name='Dizzub' date='21 February 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1266802502' post='2267978']
[quote name='shorrrno' date='21 February 2010 - 08:20 PM' timestamp='1266801614' post='2267930']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

+1 ur spot on there mate
[/quote]

Then maybe you shouldn't be buying new equipment anyway. Your hard earned money, so the people working in the shops helping you aren't working hard too? You missed the point, you picked out a driver based on help from someone in a shop. Don't waste a guy in the shops time and buy the wrong driver next time and save that $50. You know courses pay for demo clubs too right?
[/quote]

Thank you for telling me what I should or shouldn't buy. My point is that I DO NOT waste anyone's time. I don't talk to the salesmen, I don't ask for their help and I rarely use their equipment. I find info on here and I window shop locally and swing clubs at the hitting bays in the local PGA Superstore. No money or time is wasted and I only use the equipment when the stalls are empty. I do not contribute to the problem that the OP has described. As for the people working in the shops, they're getting paid to be there and their job is to SALE things to people. That is their job and that should be their skill. If the salesman thinks that the clubs sale themselves then that my friend is a lazy salesman.

Also consider the opposite experience-I spent thousands at the local Golf Galaxy buying used clubs, keeping some and selling the rest on Ebay-and I was and and continue to be treated like S--T there because I don't purchase new clubs. I could understand the treatment if I monopolized their launch monitor and never bought a thing like the 100 or so college and high school kids with no money I see all the time. However I have to be in the top 1% of their customers, never bother their sales staff, and sometimes am hounded by the same guy every 2 minutes, CAN I HELP YOU? STILL OKAY? yadayada yada, on the putting green when I am deciding between two used camerons. (I have tried to give them my service and repair business but they have not once got it right, screw up the clubs, then justify ruining your used club purchase by insisting they have accurately reshafted an S400 DG with an R300 Dynalite.) Then I stand at the register for 15 minutes waiting for a cashier while the same guy stares at me from the putting green. Many more worse examples but I don't want to get too personal here. Some of these stores don't deserve the business they do get!