Pebble Beach trip

ryan2441 ·  
ryan2441ryan2441 Members  75WRX Points: 50Posts: 75 Bunkers
<div class="IPBDescription">Poppy Hills or Del Monte?</div>Hi all I am headed out to Pebble this june right before the open to play, and have a question. I am playing pebble twice and spanish bay and spyglass and need one more course to play. Do you guys have any reccomendations? So far it is between Poppy Hills and Del Monte , definitely leaning towards Poppy Hills. Any help is appreciated!
Posted:

Comments

• PuhiPuhi Members  18WRX Points: 0Posts: 18
    I was a bit disappointed with Del Monte. Poppy was a very good experience. There is a difference in price however...
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members  1690WRX Points: 285Posts: 1,690 Platinum Tees
    Neither, just head up Hwy 1 a little bit and play Bayonet/Blackhorse. Del Monte is a quaint old course, but boring. Poppy can be fun, a challenge, but many have come away hating it. I've always kind of liked it, but still Bayonet/Blackhorse are totally superior.
    Posted:
  • AtylerAtyler Members  194WRX Points: 45Posts: 194 Bunkers
    First off, I hate you!tongue.gif I liked Poppy. I have heard Bayonet/Blackhorse is Great, but very tough. I was thinking about playing Pasatiempo next time in Santa Cruz if you don't mind driving north a little.
    Posted:
  • tparifftpariff Members  3869WRX Points: 56Posts: 3,869 Titanium Tees
    CasualLie wrote on 01 March 2010 - 09:16 PM:
    <br />
    Neither, just head up Hwy 1 a little bit and play Bayonet/Blackhorse. Del Monte is a quaint old course, but boring. Poppy can be fun, a challenge, but many have come away hating it. I've always kind of liked it, but still Bayonet/Blackhorse are totally superior.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    +1.
    Posted:
  • innocentallegoryinnocentallegory Members  82WRX Points: 0Posts: 82
    +1 for the vote for bayonet. played there in a college event and it was a great course (weather sucked). <br />
    <br />
    Also played poppy and wasnt very pleased. it was wet and muddy. A friend that plays on tour calls it sloppy hills. <br />
    <br />
    hope that helps.
    Posted:
  • scotchbladescotchblade Members  2385WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,385
    You can play the recently refurbished Bayonet AND Blackhorse for the cost of ONE round at Pasatiempo, which lists $220 as the current rate. Add thirty bucks (per player!) for a cart. It's got some great holes, but it is way overpriced now. I like Del Monte but skip it for Poppy or the Fort Ord courses.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bjacksonbjackson Win The Day Marshals  5693WRX Points: 61Posts: 5,693 Marshals
    Del Monte is a classic, but I gotta go with Poppy Hills. It's is one of my favorite courses.
    Posted:
  • sharkiesjsharkiesj Members  3277WRX Points: 388Posts: 3,277 Titanium Tees
    Poppy first. Then the Bayonet or BlackHorse. Skip Del Monte.
    Posted:
  • mcheyemcheye Lefty Boomers  113WRX Points: 0Posts: 113
    Pasatiempo is worth playing if you can get up to Santa Cruz. Its a great experience.
    Posted:
  • The DerknessThe Derkness Members  575WRX Points: 55Posts: 575 Golden Tee
    Cough, cough... [url=&quot;http://www.bayonetblackhorse.com&quot;]Bayonet and Black Horse[/url]... cough, cough<br />
    <br />
    good.gif<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I'm not a fan of Poppy Hills, so I'd pass over that. Del Monte is a great course. It's a little shorter compared to the newer courses but it's a blast to play.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    -Derk
    Posted:
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]TM M5 460 9*
    TM M1 15* (2016)
    TM GAPR Low 17*[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]TM P730 3-PW
    TM MG 52* SB Raw
    TM MG 58* SB Black
    Swag Handsome One Naked 35.25" [/font]
  • gibbyfangibbyfan Members  1282WRX Points: 141Posts: 1,282 Platinum Tees
    I would play Poppy Hills. If you are a member of the NCGA then you can get a better price, if not, join at Poppy and save some coin. I played Bayonet Black during the reconstruction process. Some of the holes were ok. The condition of the holes that we played sucked. The greens that were rebuilt were like bricks. If I were to go back I would try it again. Del Monte is an average course. However, they were the BY FAR the more helpful group of all the Pebble properties. My playing partner's clubs were lost due to bad weather and they comp'd him his rentals and the starter even offered some golf shoes to use too. While were playing they tried to find out where his clubs were in transit. However, for your first round of the year Del Monte is a easy way to knock off the rust before you play some of the better courses.
    Posted:

Driver: For now. Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5 w/ Evo4 661 X
    3wd: Titleist TS2 15 w/ Atmos Black 8s Tour Spec Tour Stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff
    4Iron: Titleist 716 T-MB w/ PX 6.0
    5-W: Miura CB 1007 w/ Satin PX 6.0
    Wedges: Miura Tour 51, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 125
    Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

Advertisement
  • raidernut1234raidernut1234 Raidernut1234 Members  1823WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,823
    SORRY gibbyfan, you must not be a local. I live 2 hours from monterey. I plan trips so i can go play bayonet/blackhorse now. I can play spyglass for $ 175, i'd rather play bayonet now. to the OP. Only play poppy if you want to play the "tournament course" from the at&t from 09' prior. otherwise goto bayonet.<br />
    DO NOT FORGET TO WALK THE BACK NINE AT PACIFIC GROVE WITH A COLD SIX PACK AT 6:30PM. most beautiful walk next to pebble on the penninsula. if you need a 4th, pm me and i may join you for one of the rounds. enjoy your trip
    Posted:
  • JLo_73JLo_73 Members  544WRX Points: 83Handicap: 8Posts: 544 Golden Tee
    Completely agree on Bayonet/Blackhorse over Poppy Hills. Great call on Pacific Grove for last 9 of the day!
    Posted:
    Driver:     Ping G410 Plus 9* Motore X F1 75X or 
                    Speeder Evolution 757 Tour Issue Shiro X Stiff
    Fairway :  Ping G410 5W Tour 75X
    Irons:       Apex/Apex Pro'19 5-GW Project X 6.5
    Wedges:  JAWS MD5 54-10S, 58-10S S400 Tour Issue
    Putter:     Odyssey White Hot #7

• Golf-JunkieGolf-Junkie Members  361WRX Points: 0Posts: 361
    I would play Pebble and Spanish once, and Spyglass two or three times. Skip DM and Poppy. However, Bayo/Blackie are pretty sweet now.
    Posted:
  • JohnnyJohnny Get Kwok'd Charter Members  8708WRX Points: 61Posts: 8,708 Titanium Tees
    between the two...well Poppy is a better course
    Posted:

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
    Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
    Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
    Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
    Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• SwingBladeSwingBlade SoCalMembers  884WRX Points: 118Posts: 884 Golden Tee
    This is assuming you are playing all these for the first time and might not be back:<br />
    <br />
    Pebble twice because it is one of the most beautiful places on earth and it will take two rounds to cement the memories that should last a lifetime. Spy and Spanish once. I would then go with Bayonet unless you fall in love with Spy.<br />
    <br />
    Enjoy and consider a caddy at Pebble on the first day. Poppy was a letdown for me. If you can't or don't want to go up to Bayonet, I would definitely play Spy a second time rather than play Poppy.
    Posted:
    Cobra King F9 Tour Length Speedback 10.5 ATMOS TS Blue 6S 44.25” D5 14g/6g wts
    Cobra King F9 Speedback 4W & 6W ATMOS TS Blue 7S D3
    Miura CB57 4-PW KBS Tour Black Pearl S D5-D7
    Miura K-grind 52, 56, 60, & 64 KBS Wedge S D8
    Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794)
    Bushnell Hybrid GPS Rangefinder (2019)
    Pro V1X

Backup/travel: '18 M3 440, M1/M2 FW's, MP-64's and Vokey WedgeWorks 52F, 56V & 60V

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.