2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

lostgolfballs.com VS Knetgolf.com

ktkn

Is there a difference between these two online stores? They seem to get mentioned the most regarding used golf balls. Anybody have any experience with the BOTH of them? Is there a grade that is minimum if you're playing (like Class B for Knetgolf or AAA for Lostgolfballs)?

I'm most interested in their grading system, which store grades their ball more generously, etc. Also, do lower class golf balls (I mean the condition of the ball) effect the performance of the ball? Do they not go as far, or have a very limited lifespan? Much appreciation from a beginner here...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought from both. Of the two, I'd have to say that LGB's grading scale is more true to reality, at least in my opinion. The one order I made from Knet were sold as mint and there were about 4-5 balls out of 3 dozen that I wouldn't grade out as mint. It wasn't a big enough deal to make a fuss about, so I can't speak to Knet's willingness to make it right. That said, between the two places, if the balls are roughly the same place, I'll stick with LGB.

i won 3 dozen nike one platinum's in Knet's "mint" condition rating about a month ago. (19.50 w/ free shipping, steal!) they were in like new condition and I'd say that about half had no logo or players mark. oh 20 or so free tees too! very happy with them.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I have used both. One thing to keep in mind- Knetgolf sells refinished balls, whereas LGB does not. When I purchased from Knetgolf on Ebay last year, I was not aware I was purchasing refinished balls. I thought they were just recycled balls. Just in case some do not know the difference, "refinished" balls are stripped, repainted, new logos painted on, then clearcoated (all by knetgolf, not the original manufacturer), so they look new. "Recycled" balls are simply used golf balls that are cleaned.

I know knetgolf believes that refinished balls perform perfectly fine, but I just don't trust the quality control in the repainting, re-clearcoating process.

I just went on the main knetgolf website (not knetgolf's ebay site) and see that they sell both recycled and refinished balls, and are clear as to whether you are buying recycled or refinished. That was not the case when I purchased from knetgolf on ebay last year. As I recall, the ebay ad did not clearly mention that the balls were refinished- you had to click on some extra links in the ad to find out that the balls were actually refinished. That was my only complaint about knetgolf, so they appear to have fixed this issue on their main website (I assume that knetgolf's ebay site is also clear on the distinction, but did not check).

In defense of knetgolf, I did realized soon after I won the ebay auction that the balls were refinished (I was bored and snooping around the knetgolf website after winning the balls on ebay and discovered the additional details). I sent them an email requesting that they cancel the ebay transaction. They did so, no questions asked. So, good customer service.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

Thanks for the feedback, but also wondered I should buy near mint balls or is it simply a preference and the lower grade balls perform fine? I've never played golf at a course before, just started learning and been to the driving range. With that said, I think I will start to lose a lot of balls, even at the par 3 courses (pitch and putt). I already bought a box of Callaway Tour ix, but realized I can't be spending that much when I probably won't feel much of a difference and will be losing them constantly. I haven't even started to hit my driver yet...

So are grade B balls from Knetgolf and AAA balls from Lostgolfballs ok? Or should I get a higher grade because it will actually perform better for a longer period of time?

[quote name='ktkn' date='09 March 2010 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1268118649' post='2303745']
Thanks for the feedback, but also wondered I should buy near mint balls or is it simply a preference and the lower grade balls perform fine? I've never played golf at a course before, just started learning and been to the driving range. With that said, I think I will start to lose a lot of balls, even at the par 3 courses (pitch and putt). I already bought a box of Callaway Tour ix, but realized I can't be spending that much when I probably won't feel much of a difference and will be losing them constantly. I haven't even started to hit my driver yet...

So are grade B balls from Knetgolf and AAA balls from Lostgolfballs ok? Or should I get a higher grade because it will actually perform better for a longer period of time?
[/quote]

AAA balls from LGB are fine for where you are at in your golf game. Just subtle marks here and there. The balls are not cut. Some minor scuffs, yes, but not enough that it will impact your shot.

Just my two cents, but since you are just starting out and you will be losing a fair amount of balls, I would not bother purchasing the higher end models like the Tour ix, unless money is not an issue. I would stick with mid-level used, AAA quality until your game improves. For example, check out Callaway HX, Warbird or Big Bertha series; Taylormade Burner or Titleist NXT or DT. Just go with what is on sale on LGB. Once you are scoring in the mid 90's or so, then you can start experimenting with different or higher end stuff. Only then will the different performance characteristics be beneficial/noticeable.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

[quote name='Ugo DeRosa' date='09 March 2010 - 09:52 AM' timestamp='1268149929' post='2304153']
[quote name='ktkn' date='09 March 2010 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1268118649' post='2303745']

[/quote]

AAA balls from LGB are fine for where you are at in your golf game. Just subtle marks here and there. The balls are not cut. Some minor scuffs, yes, but not enough that it will impact your shot.

Just my two cents, but since you are just starting out and you will be losing a fair amount of balls, I would not bother purchasing the higher end models like the Tour ix, unless money is not an issue. I would stick with mid-level used, AAA quality until your game improves. For example, check out Callaway HX, Warbird or Big Bertha series; Taylormade Burner or Titleist NXT or DT. Just go with what is on sale on LGB. Once you are scoring in the mid 90's or so, then you can start experimenting with different or higher end stuff. Only then will the different performance characteristics be beneficial/noticeable.
[/quote]

Very well put!

I buy AAA's from LGB and they are fine for me. Not to mention, 3.95 for a dozen AD333's is A-OK by me!

Here's your best deal, 100 AAA nike one blacks or nike one platinums for 34.95

[url="http://www.lostgolfballs.com/100-Nike-One-Black-AAA-Golf-Balls-Free-Bucket/product-exec/product_id/7432/category_id/77"]http://www.lostgolfballs.com/100-Nike-One-Black-AAA-Golf-Balls-Free-Bucket/product-exec/product_id/7432/category_id/77[/url]

[url="http://www.lostgolfballs.com/100-Nike-One-Platinum-AAA-Golf-Balls-Free-Bucket/product-exec/product_id/7433/category_id/77"]http://www.lostgolfballs.com/100-Nike-One-Platinum-AAA-Golf-Balls-Free-Bucket/product-exec/product_id/7433/category_id/77[/url]

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

• 1 month later...

I ordered from lostgolfballs.com and ordered a bucket (100) of Callaway HX Hot AAA, 50 of Nike One Black AAA, and 3 dozen of Callaway Tour ix AAAA. The AAA grading was good. It was everything I expected and more. The AAAA Tour ix was bad. A lot worse than what I expected, it was the same as the AAA grading.

I complained and they will be exchanging the Tour ix and I will be sending the ones I received. No company is perfect but so far they have shown good customer service (we'll see how long it takes the entire process).

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered 72 (6 Dozen) AAAAA Mint 2008 Pro V1's from Knetgolf for $99.99 with free shipping. That equates to $1.39/ball. We'll see how they turn out.

I am a long time buyer of lostgolfballs.com, but my recent order was highly disappointing. I purchased 100 AAAA Near Mint 2008 NXT Tours for $65.00 and they were more like AA to AAA rated balls with many of them having major scuffs and discoloration. I have always been pleased with LGB in the past, but this order was highly disappointing so I tried out Knet.

• 1 month later...

I ordered 36 balls from LGB.com last week, mostly because of positive reviews here and other forums...Ordered 12 AAAAA of TP Red & Black LDP and TP Burner LDP...

Extremely disappointed with the results - only 6 look "like new".

-maybe 8 that are AAAA

-The rest are AAA or worse.

-5 of them have extreme paint chips down to yellow/orange.

The burners have some wierd pits and bubbles (very small) in the paint..... i dunno what from. I never have bought TP burners before but im gonna go buy a brand new sleeve tonight to compare.

Just a heads up

[quote name='weschester' date='24 June 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1277413158' post='2530788']
I ordered 36 balls from LGB.com last week, mostly because of positive reviews here and other forums...Ordered 12 AAAAA of TP Red & Black LDP and TP Burner LDP...

Extremely disappointed with the results - only 6 look "like new".

-maybe 8 that are AAAA

-The rest are AAA or worse.

-5 of them have extreme paint chips down to yellow/orange.

The burners have some wierd pits and bubbles (very small) in the paint..... i dunno what from. I never have bought TP burners before but im gonna go buy a brand new sleeve tonight to compare.

Just a heads up
[/quote]

Contact them, they will make it right. I usually have a few bad ones and they send me the correct balls no questions asked. They seem very good about this as it has happened to me on every order.

[quote name='TCMP' date='25 June 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1277490742' post='2533883']
Contact them, they will make it right. I usually have a few bad ones and they send me the correct balls no questions asked. They seem very good about this as it has happened to me on every order.
[/quote]

Ok cool. You were right. I sent an email explaining the situation and they straight up asked how many I wanted replaced. Very good service. Gonna send me out some replacements free of charges.

Having ordered from both I would say LGB is slightly better.

I purchased 6 dozen AAAAA TP Blacks a couple weeks ago from LGB and aside from a few logos and sharpie marks look like they just came out of the box.

Based on my experience, LGB's highest grade seem to be in better condition than KNet's highest grade but it is a small sample size as I have only ordered from each of them at most 3 times.

Another good one is Dr. Mulligans - I ordered some Callaway Tour IX from there last season and they were in outstanding condition. Their prices aren't quite as good as the other two though.

Many orders with LGB and they have been great. Prompt shipping (free at $75.00+) and the AAA and AAAA have always been better than expected for the price. Just got 9 dozen NXT Tours in AAAA for about $80.00 delivered and other than the fact that half or more had some sort of corporate logo on them they were absolutely perfect. Retail NXT Tours 9 dz / $270+ versus LGB NXT Tours AAAA 9dz / $80.00.......no brainer.

[quote name='Abs777' date='30 June 2010 - 02:07 PM' timestamp='1277921263' post='2547095']
Why do people frown on Logo balls? Is it just because they don't like the logos?
[/quote]

My post might have read like logo's were a negative but I didn't mean it that way. I don't care at all especially for the quality and price I get them from LGB for. Hell, I played one of my best rounds lately with a ball that had "Grandpa Wilson's 85th B-Day" on it.....ball lasted the whole round and shot 67. :cheesy: