2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

who here plays college golf?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play big tournemnts. - Get exposure.
Shoot well. - Or just finish well in big tournemnts.
Have a good swing. - Coaches like guys with a good action and who have worked with a instructor previously.
Be consistant. - Shooting even in 2 tournemnts is better than shouting 4 under in one and 10 over in another.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

No scholarship for me, but... I don't care. What it took for me, 12 tourn. rounds last summer, 136-152 for 2 day totals, scoring avg. of 72.9, a bunch of t3's, some t5's, and some t7/t10's, but no W's. For you, as far as credentials, play as many tournaments as you can. Nothing gives your game credibility like proven tournament scoring. And I gaurentee any coach considering you as a player is going to google your name+golf and see what scores pop up. Have a good attitude, want to learn, want to win, and want to improve. Oh yeah, SCORE THE BALL.

I came from a single parent home and didn't have the $ to travel to national junior events. Only playing local/state events led to D3 offers but I really wanted to play for a D1 school in my state. I sent that coach my resume during my senior year in high school and he came to watch me at a strong local mens event where I finished T2 at -1. He gave me an offer the next day.

[quote name='3wggle' date='18 March 2010 - 12:40 PM' timestamp='1268930439' post='2325114']
I came from a single parent home and didn't have the $ to travel to national junior events. Only playing local/state events led to D3 offers but I really wanted to play for a D1 school in my state. I sent that coach my resume during my senior year in high school and he came to watch me at a strong local mens event where I finished T2 at -1. He gave me an offer the next day.
[/quote]
Again, most players really do have to sell themselves and do their own recruiting. This is a great example. Good story bud!

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='generaljhc' date='18 March 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1268945174' post='2325576']
ok guys respond to this quote from a PGA Pro

"The AJGA is for rich kids, and all of the college coaches know it"
[/quote]
And yet: it is (along with performance in USGA events) without question the #1 criteria that top college coaches look at when recruiting a player.

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='3wggle' date='18 March 2010 - 08:40 AM' timestamp='1268930439' post='2325114']
[/quote]

what school gave you an offer?

TM r11s 9.5*
TM r11 15*
TM r9 19*
TM RAC MB TP 3-6,8-pw
TM xFt 54/60
TM Rossa Corza Ghost
TM Tour Preferred X

I agree you still have to perform. But it can be very costly getting to events, and paying for them. 2 kids with similar ability have differing chances to compete if one of them has a parent that can foot the bill for 5 or 6 AJGA tournaments and other 1 or 2.

$250 for tournament, 4 nights @ middle of the road hotel $400 with taxes, + meals, +gas (or airfare), etc.. easily $700+ per tournament. That is very expensive for the average family.

I guess in reality golf is expensive period. If you have money it makes it easier to play.

[quote name='3wggle' date='18 March 2010 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1268930439' post='2325114']
[/quote]

Great story and really shows that if you can play at a high level you dont need to travel around the country to play in ridiculously expensive national tournaments. If you can play well in local state amateurs and state opens that can show a college coach just as much as a high finish in a national junior tourney.

It's valuable to prove you can score. Sure it matters more for the top D1 schools if that scoring comes in AJGAs or USGA events, but that's the not the only way. If you can score well in local events that goes a long way. Also, as others have mentioned, consistency is pretty important.

I didn't play in a lot of national events but played well enough in local events to get recruited by D3 and lower tier D1. I was looking for an academic experience first, golf second, so the schools I talked to all fit that profile. My advice is to identify if you're looking for a golf experience or an academic experience and then tailor how you go about contacting coaches and playing tournaments based on that. If you want to go top D1, you have to play AJGA and play extremely well.

[quote name='golfpunk59' date='18 March 2010 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1268886889' post='2324348']
[b]Have a good swing. - Coaches like guys with a good action and who have worked with a instructor previously.[/b]
Be consistant. - Shooting even in 2 tournemnts is better than shouting 4 under in one and 10 over in another.
[/quote]

I hate that swing part. Most coaches don't know crap about a good, repeatable action and if it looks like a swing on TV then they think you're qualified. I played in D3 and the kid with not a great swing won the Phil Mickelson award his freshman year, he ended being ranked in the top 50 nationally, then went to change his swing to get more 'tour' like...he didn't average below 80 his senior year. Another alum from my school is currently the #1 Golfweek-ranked amateur in the country, so school doesn't really matter if you can play.

My advice is two-fold for anybody looking at college golf. First, go to a school that you can play, experience will ALWAYS beat the program you went to. Second, and this is tied to the first point, see what the tryout requirements are for each tournaments. Some coaches just pick a top 5 based on their feel, other teams have qualifiers. A lot of guys on the team missed playing in starting spots because the coach had a 'hunch' on someone else.

Politics is the reason I got out of other sports, so try to make sure the coach doesn't play them because it only hurts you.

[quote name='gators77' date='26 March 2010 - 03:57 PM' timestamp='1269644245' post='2343050']
[quote name='golfpunk59' date='18 March 2010 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1268886889' post='2324348']
[b]Have a good swing. - Coaches like guys with a good action and who have worked with a instructor previously.[/b]
[/quote]

I hate that swing part. Most coaches don't know crap about a good, repeatable action and if it looks like a swing on TV then they think you're qualified. [/quote]

Having a good swing doesnt mean having a nive looking swing. I guarantee even the worst coaches can tell if a guy is good at the ball. No matter how individual the swing might look

[quote name='gators77' date='26 March 2010 - 03:57 PM' timestamp='1269644245' post='2343050']
First, go to a school that you can play, experience will ALWAYS beat the program you went to. [/quote]

I dont agree with this. If you have the option to red shirt in a better program and play the next year that sometimes a good path.

[quote name='golfpunk59' date='26 March 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1269652693' post='2343321']
[/quote]

I hate that swing part. Most coaches don't know crap about a good, repeatable action and if it looks like a swing on TV then they think you're qualified. [/quote]

Having a good swing doesnt mean having a nive looking swing. I guarantee [u]even the worst coaches can tell if a guy is good at the ball[/u]. No matter how individual the swing might look

First, go to a school that you can play, experience will ALWAYS beat the program you went to. [/quote]

I dont agree with this. If you have the option to red shirt in a better program [u]and play the next year that sometimes a good path[/u].
[/quote]

You made the point it helps to work with a top instructor, and I made the point that basically it's unfortunate that's the case, and you respond with coaches know good players semi-your first statement. In my experience a lot of golf coaches weren't actually golfers, and rarely would they take a risk on the Jim Furyk action compared to the Adam Scott move.

And the second point you're more or less agreeing with me, I think, playing is pretty big. I know a few people that just sit at D1 programs and I've watched their games slowly deteriorate compared to other players in the area that play/travel/compete/workout etc.

[quote name='gators77' date='26 March 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1269656834' post='2343481']
And the second point you're more or less agreeing with me, I think, playing is pretty big. I know a few people that just sit at D1 programs and I've watched their games slowly deteriorate compared to other players in the area that play/travel/compete/workout etc.
[/quote]

What kinda guy doesn't play/travel/compete/workout when they are red shirted. Thats bad work ethic, bigger school equals better facilities, more money and more opportunity more recognition no matter what. Everyone should try to go to the best school they can and work to get on the team. Would you want to be the best player on a farm team and never get called up? I don't think so.

[quote name='golfpunk59' date='26 March 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1269657981' post='2343517']
[quote name='gators77' date='26 March 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1269656834' post='2343481']
[/quote]

What kinda guy doesn't play/travel/compete/workout when they are red shirted. Thats bad work ethic, bigger school equals better facilities, more money and more opportunity more recognition no matter what. Everyone should try to go to the best school they can and work to get on the team. Would you want to be the best player on a farm team and never get called up? I don't think so.
[/quote]

Recognition was little to do with your individual game. And your analogy of the farm team is not apples to apples. Would you rather be a starter on a AA team and work on your game or ride the pine on a AAA team and not get any real game experience? I chose the former. You hear it 1000 times here on this forum, there is no comparison to playing in tournament play.

If you have playing aspirations after college then go to the best school that you can PLAY at. If not go to the best school academically you can and get a good education and golf should be a second thought. With that said I would never advise going to a school that is sub par academically for the opportunity to play. But that is a personal decision from someone that has been there done that.

I happen to know someone who chose to play at a smaller school and ended up winning back to back national championships. I would say he made the right decision. He won almost everything and as a result has a TON of confidence. Had he played D1 golf he likely would have just been a top 30-50 player and would not have the confidence he has now. Sometimes it's better to learn how to win than get in over your head too early (see Michelle Wie as extreme example). He has had a pretty successful start to his professional career.

[quote name='Pargolfr00' date='26 March 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1269659915' post='2343576']
[quote name='golfpunk59' date='26 March 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1269657981' post='2343517']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Recognition was little to do with your individual game. And your analogy of the farm team is not apples to apples. Would you rather be a starter on a AA team and work on your game or ride the pine on a AAA team and not get any real game experience? I chose the former. You hear it 1000 times here on this forum, there is no comparison to playing in tournament play.

If you have playing aspirations after college then go to the best school that you can PLAY at. If not go to the best school academically you can and get a good education and golf should be a second thought. With that said I would never advise going to a school that is sub par academically for the opportunity to play. But that is a personal decision from someone that has been there done that.
[/quote]

I ended up playing NAIA because the only div 1 schools that would give me enough money to go to America were schools in cold weather. I stayed in Canada played NAIA and got to play 12 months a year because I live on the west coast.

But if I had been able to go to a warm weather state and play in DIV 1 were I could practice 12 months a year, I would have rode the pine rather than played. But that is a personal decision from someone that has been there done that.

[quote name='golfpunk59' date='26 March 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1269661053' post='2343608']
[quote name='Pargolfr00' date='26 March 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1269659915' post='2343576']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I ended up playing NAIA because the only div 1 schools that would give me enough money to go to America were schools in cold weather. I stayed in Canada played NAIA and got to play 12 months a year because I live on the west coast.

But if I had been able to go to a warm weather state and play in DIV 1 were I could practice 12 months a year, I would have rode the pine rather than played. But that is a personal decision from someone that has been there done that.
[/quote]

Why would you have rather not played?

[quote name='Pargolfr00' date='26 March 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1269661256' post='2343614']

Why would you have rather not played?
[/quote]

I wouldn't have rather not played. I would have rather gone to a Div 1 school in warm weather and tried to prove myself and if that means sitting out a year then so be it. But I only got 35-65% offers to warm weather schools and that still woulda left me $12,000-$20,000 to pay myself and I wouldn't have been able to afford that.

[quote name='golfpunk59' date='26 March 2010 - 10:46 PM' timestamp='1269657981' post='2343517']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I could be wrong, but from my knowledge if you're red shirted you do not travel with the team, and any competition is done during home course practice rounds. They workout at the facilities but no tourney time. I can't imagine teams have the resources to bring a few extra players that don't play.

I don't think its always as easy as playing hard and cracking the starting lineup. You'll basically sit out of competition for a school year, then you'll have to play catchup over the summer and compete with the coaches new top favorite prospects and returning team. Not saying you can't do it, but that brings a whole lot of variables into the chance you can play before sophomore/junior year.

[quote name='iteachgolf' date='26 March 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1269660203' post='2343584']
I happen to know someone who chose to play at a smaller school and ended up winning back to back national championships. I would say he made the right decision. He won almost everything and as a result has a TON of confidence. Had he played D1 golf he likely would have just been a top 30-50 player and would not have the confidence he has now. Sometimes it's better to learn how to win than get in over your head too early (see Michelle Wie as extreme example). He has had a pretty successful start to his professional career.
[/quote]
Scott Brown?

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' date='27 March 2010 - 08:40 PM' timestamp='1269751237' post='2345350']
[quote name='iteachgolf' date='26 March 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1269660203' post='2343584']
[/quote]
Scott Brown?
[/quote]
Nope, Most recent back to back winner. Sam Cyr.

like that story in an earlier post, if you dont quite have the results to make it to a school you want to go to then do everything you cant to get a coach to come watch you. Face to face interaction is much more important than a piece of paper with some numbers on it since the coach will have to interact with you daily for the next 4 years