2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

June - Golf in the Dominican Republic. Where to Play?

nader01

Might be headed to the Dominican Republic in early June. I would like to get 3 rounds of golf in. I have seen and/or heard of Cap Cana, Casa de Campo, Punta Espada, and Playa Grande on the North Coast looks amazing. Any hidden gems? Of all the courses which are recommended as must plays? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are anywhere near Punta Cana you need to visit Cap Cana and play Punta Espada. The seniors are playing there this week. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world and the golf course is spectacular. I love Teeth of the Dog and Dye Fore at Casa de Campo, but Punta Espada is even better...a must play in the Dominican Republic!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I agree on Cap Cana, it is an amazing course. We just returned and walked the course with the seniors on Thursday, lots of fun, and I played it last year as well. The new gem down there is Corales, a Tom Fazio design which is the second course in the Punta Cana resort complex (Pete Dye is building a third). Corales may be a better course than Cap Cana; it is really an amazing track, built on the ocean but with great inland holes on the back, stunning views on the ocean holes, 7550 from the backs (don't do that unless you are a plus HC), just gorgeous. it has been open only since April. I played it Tuesday and Wednesday last week and loved it. La Cana at the resort is also a good course but not in the ball game with the other two.

Thanks for the replies, I took in some of the Champions Tour event at Punta Espada the course looks amazing. I will definitely try to make it to Punta Cana. Also did a little research on Corales and it looks like we might need to play both courses. I'm still thinking about Casa de Campo, I'm just not familiar with the transportation over there. Would it be best to rent a car or is the reliable public transportation?

If you stay at Cap Cana you will not need a car. It is only 8 miles from Punta Cana Int. airport and if you are staying in one of the hotels or villas at Cap Cana they can arrange transportation. The pro at Punt Espada may also be able to get you on Corrales, but it won't be cheap. There is a Faldo course in Punta Cana about 45 minutes from Cap Cana called Roco Ki. We played there also and all of my guys were disappointed, although holes 17 and 18 were pretty spectacular.

There is a second course at Cap Cana called Las Iguanas that they have not opened yet. It is also going to be spectacular and with 2 world class Nicklaus courses, Cap Cana willl be the jewel of the Caribean.

If you end up at Casa de Campo you won't need a car either. You can get pretty much everywhere on the property in a golf cart and there is really no reason to go off property. The resort is over 7000 acres in total.

PM me if you have any questions or if you want to talk off line about it. I've been going down to the DR every year for the last ten years. I love the place.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 1 month later...

If you are staying in the Punta Cana area, getting to Playa Grande is out of the question as driving would take you an entire day each way. I would try to get to Casa de Campo but be prepared to spend the whole day since the drive can be 2-3 hours each way depending on whether you take your own taxi or go with a golf operator. They were working on a new highway that would cut the driving time dramatically but i don't know if it has been finished yet (all roads from Punta Cana to Santa Domingo must go thru Higuey if you look on the map).

La Cana ($190US) is a nice course but the service is terrible there. Cap Cana is about $365US) and Casa Campo is around $265US. Caddies extra. If you play Casa de Campo, be careful about the food and when you play. Very little available on the course and we finished around 4:30pm and wanted to eat but the snack bar was already closed and we got no food.

If you played Cap Cana and Casa de Campo you will surely enjoy yourself as both are spectacular venues with amazing views. It helps to have someone who isn't playing (wife) to take all the pictures while you are busy playing.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='Double Gee' timestamp='1276259439' post='2502546']
I am off to DomRep this Sunday 13th June FOR 2 WEEKS and am staying at the Playa Dorada region.

My Hotel is Blue bay Villas which is apparently on the doorstep of Playa Dorada GC.

ANY ONE INTERESTED IN MEETING UP AND SWINGING THE BATS FOR A FEW ROUNDS?
[/quote]

I'd like to hear what you thought of Playa Dorada. I haven't played there but I've seen it and it looks good. I have played at Playa Grande and I loved it.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from the Iberostar Grand Bavaro. Played 2 rounds at the on site PB Dye course. It is really good and underated in my opinion. It was no basic resort course. Front nine has some rolling terrain and lots of sand while the back nine winds through more ponds/rivers. Really enjoyable with some tough tests from the tips. The fairways were perfect carpets. Staff was super friendly. If you stay at the Grand golf is free!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is slightly deviated from it's original purpose, and is old, but I just wanted to point out to everyone that may read this thread in the future that playing Casa de Campo is no longer as difficult when staying in Punta Cana!!

The highway that was mentioned in earlier posts is finished! It's about 45 minutes from the Punta Cana Airport, but I stayed at Casa so I don't know how far it would be from Punta Cana Resorts.

Teeth of the Dog is a must play, especially with the highway making it easier to get there, no matter what. The views are just phenomenal. It's a fantastic golf course. It may sound quirky, but if it's your first time playing Teeth, it's really cool to play the back 9 first. You have no views of the ocean until after the 14th hole. When you're leaving the 14th green, you drive down a tunnel of trees and all of a sudden it opens up into a spectacular view of the Caribbean Sea all around you. It's an unreal experience that's completely unanticipated. When you play the front first, you start to get views of the ocean on the 3rd and 4th holes, so you're anticipating it by the time you get to the 5th. Either way, it's an unreal experience.

If you're staying off sight, and up for 36 in a day, Dye Fore is spectacular too. Dye Fore is in the "Altos de Chavon" or Heights of the Chavon (River), It's similar to a mountain type golf course in that it's fairways are wide, with lots of elevation changes and blind shots. The course is a monster too, coming in at 7700 from the tips (wouldn't recommend that), 7400 from the golds (back), and just under 7000 from the blues (mid back).

All of the courses at CDC also have 5 sets of tees!

• 2 months later...

I'll be in the Dominican the first week of July for my honeymoon. Playing Punta Espada (I was only allowed one round per the wife, lol). Can't express how excited I am for this opportunity. Have to decide if I'm going to bring my sticks or take the chance and rent some. Really want to play it with my clubs but not sure if it'll be worth lugging them down and back.

Jeremiah 29:11

• 4 weeks later...

Just played La Cana today. 5 sets of tees and the golds were around 7000. I had a blast, this is the first week of the "down season" my wife and I had the course to ourselves. Holes 18 and 19 are two of the mst beautiful holes I've played, (hawaii, bermuda, most of the carribean). It was $105 till 2pm an dropped to $75 after 2pm. I thought it was a really fun course with a touch of "Tobacco Road", but nearly as severe. Lots of smaller elevation changes and the fairways and greens were in mint condition. Well worth the money! Staff was very freindly and helpful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I played Punta Espada (Cap Cana) last week while down there. Wow. Just wow. The course was in great shape (greens were slow, but whatever), the views are breathtaking, it's fair off the tee (except for the 250 yard par 3 up hill over the ocean) but the approach shots are demanding, my caddie was really cool too, definitely enjoyed having him. One of the best golf experiences I've ever had.
$200 will get you unlimited golf after 1:00 (during the summer months), a ride to and from your resort, some bottles of water, and range balls to warm up. Here are some pics.
[attachment=2314021:IMG_1019.JPG]
[attachment=2314025:IMG_1025.JPG]
[attachment=2314027:IMG_1031.JPG]
[attachment=2314029:IMG_1047.JPG]
[attachment=2314031:IMG_1052.JPG]
[attachment=2314035:IMG_1062.JPG]
[attachment=2314037:IMG_1063.JPG]

Jeremiah 29:11

• 5 months later...

Played Teeth of the Dog, Punta Espada and the Iberostate course (PB Dye) in December. Teeth and Punta Espada both ran me nearly $400 apiece including transport, but worth the cost. If you have a rental car you can save a lot. Iberostate was gratis thanks to the resort I stayed in, but tipped the caddy $40 per round so I could walk the course. Worth it to me.

If you're in the DR, you need to play both Teeth and Punta Espada. Both are IMO once-in-a-lifetime type of experiences. Absolutely gorgeous. Teeth is a great test of golf; Punta Espada somewhat less so but the views are spectacular on both.

Punta Espada is just awesome, but requires the wind to be be blowing to show its true character. Eight holes are on the ocean and the other 10 have views of the ocean. The Nicklaus bunkering and collection areas are just perfect...strategically placed to catch your bailouts and leave you challenging up and downs. This is a must play and good any time of year!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here, but I've lurked for a year or so. I just booked a trip for June in Punta Cana, trying to budget for golf. I'd like to play two courses, probably Punta Espada and either Corales or Punta Espada again. I saw they have some packages available, but they don't have prices for the time I'll be there. Trying to get a feel for how much it'll cost during June.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just got back from the Iberostar Grand Bavaro. Played 2 rounds at the on site PB Dye course. It is really good and underated in my opinion. It was no basic resort course. Front nine has some rolling terrain and lots of sand while the back nine winds through more ponds/rivers. Really enjoyable with some tough tests from the tips. The fairways were perfect carpets. Staff was super friendly. If you stay at the Grand golf is free!

Great to hear! Heading to Punta Cana in May for a wedding, and an staying at the Iberostar. Just found out golf is included! I'm psyched! Now in definitely bringing my golf clubs.

• 2 months later...

Great to hear! Heading to Punta Cana in May for a wedding, and an staying at the Iberostar. Just found out golf is included! I'm psyched! Now in definitely bringing my golf clubs.

I stayed at the Iberostar Grand for my honeymoon about 1 year ago. Had a great time on the course and definitely exceeded expectations for a resort course. Loved the fact that it was included with the room. The greenside bunker on the first hole is pretty crazy. Enjoy your trip!

EFSZ 9* - X2Hot Pro 15* - Srixon H45 19/22 - Srixon 745 5-PW - Vokey SM6 50F, SM5 54F/58K - Odyssey Metal-X #7