Iron Headcovers

For those with forged irons
I've found a couple threads on iron head covers but not a lot of mention in the comments as to whether the person uses cast or forged irons (I take it head covers make more sense when dealing with forged irons).

My impression from the threads is that protecting forged irons with headcovers makes sense a) when traveling b) when using a powercart. However, there is some concern about rust.

So my question is to those with forged irons, do you use headcovers? If so, when? Have you had rusting issues?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I used iron covers with forged heads I would definitely avoid anything that traps moisture, like neoprene or anything lined with padding.

I also wouldn't take them on the course, nothing is more infuriating than watching the last guy in the group in front of you methodically re-applying the cover to his iron while you are waiting to hit.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

Here's what I've learned on this site in the last year. You are going to get people who say use iron covers and purists that say never, ever use iron covers because you will look like a dorky hack.

I have used them in the past and thought they were a pain in the butt. Irons are meant to get dinged up so I don't use them.

I say do whatever you want as they shouldn't rust.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

I have a set I use for traveling, both car and air. I would certainly recommend getting a set if you fly w/ your clubs as the gorillas at the airport love throwing golf bags around. I take them off once I get to the course.

Bag chatter doesn't bother me, but a little extra protection from major dings while in the trunk of the car or on a plane definitely helps.

I never used head covers before, I just thought they were a waste of money. I bought a new set of MPs- 57 and thought "well I invested almost $1000 in an iron set, do I really want them to chatter in the bag and get wasted?". Well, I bought the head covers and I think they are a great addition to the bag. If I made such an investment in my equipment, the most reasonable thing would be to take care of it, and be as careful as possible. I first started using them just when carrying the bag around and took them off to start the game, but then I thought how stupid was that an ended up using them all the time but when I'm cleaning the cubs at home.

I think people against the head covers talking about "they give spirit to the game" or "the irons hitting sound is part of the game" kind of resemble the guys who say playing a titanium 460cc Driver or Cavity backs is against golf's "tradition". SPecially since carrying them on a push/pull cart doesn't seem to me to be so "traditional".

Here are the pros I see:

-Obviously, they chatter less which ends up helping to preserve their good looks and shinny finish. This won't have any impact in your game, but I feel quite sad every time I see my irons dented. Its not only about carrying them in the field, but movement in the trunk of your car, for example. This does have a certain important in re-sell value as well, since their condition does keep much better.

-If you've ever made the mistake of putting any of our woods or driver without a headcover in your bag for a second (maybe when you were going to hit a 7W and then changed your mind for a 4I and came back to the wood), you avoid the easier to dent fairway woods to have any issues if hitting against the irons. As well, if you ever have had the issue of your bag falling due to windy conditions or any other reason, you'll thank to have your head covers on.

-It really does only take 4-5 seconds more in your shot to put on and off a head-cover. You really don't slow down anybody by doing so. And you should tell the guy who says you do so to stop reading the putter shot which he is going to miss anyway for 5 minutes....

-One thing I like is to avoid people looking at what I have in my bag. A set of new Titleist blades, or Mizuno Irons surely make people notice your bag and that's the last thing you would want. Unfortunately, some people lurking around might feel very "friendly" with your new clubs and use any opportunity they have to take one of your clubs out. It has never happened to me, but I have had friends with an AP1 and an s59 missing between their car and the first tee. Covers make your bag unnoticeable, and unless you play the clubs you play to brag about them (which is very sad by the way), you would want to keep people not noticing what you have in your bag.

Cons:

- Make sure you wipe your clubs before putting the head covers on again in wet conditions. They don't rust, but might smell funny.

-Some guys at the course will think you're stupid for using head covers. Remember you where the one who paid $1000 for the irons, not them.

I wasn't going to post for fear of looking like a TOOL, but then decided, "who cares." black%20eye.gif

I use headcovers on all of my forged irons. Why? Because I pay good $$ for these clubs and yes, I enjoy keeping them looking as nice as possible. It's the same reason I wash and wax my car and why some people apply protective products to the hoods of their vehicles to avoid rock chips (bras, invisible film). I don't consider them just a "tool" to be used, but something I take pride in owning...just like a house, a car, clothes, etc.

Being a club ho, I buy and sell quite often and the value of the irons sold with little or no bag chatter can be quite substantial.

Now, I know some will say that bag chatter brings character, but I liken that to having acne scars on your face. Yeah, they might build character, but I imagine most folks would rather not have them.

On the rusting issue. Wipe down the club (which you should do after every shot to clean out the grooves) and get rid of the moisture. I found that neoprene covers aren't necessarily a great solution as they soak up excess moisture and are held tight to the club. I found that the Castle Bay Softex covers do a good job, stay fit and don't smoother your irons that might have a little bit of mositure. Sure, if your iron is wet and you leave it in the cover overnight, it'll cause premature rusting on exposed areas of the iron (the moisture can't evaporate), but the same thing would happen if you wrap a moist towel around wet irons.

On the time it takes...seriously?? I have never had an issue taking off a cover, wipeing down my club and reapplying a cover. I really wonder how uncooridinate someone would have to be to create any type of delay on the course.

I've used them on both cast and forged TM irons. I don't play any slower or faster with the iron covers, but most I continue to use them for two reasons:

1. I love watching my buddies get so mad that I brought them to the course. Makes the day more interesting when we can laugh about one another getting frustrated by such a piece of equipment.

2. Its always fun to get put in a group with people who make faces and comments behind my back when I'm playing. Then I proceed to strike the ball well, put the cover back on the iron, and give them a look of "Let's hurry this up pal, you don't even have Iron covers!"

I use iron covers for 2 reasons. I can't stand the noise of the clubs clacking as I walk and I don't want sticky-fingered people seeing what I have in my bag. Everything in my bag has an un-logoed headcover except my putter. I haven't found a good no-logo putter cover yet.

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

I have a set I use for traveling, both car and air. I take them off once I get to the course.

Bag chatter doesn't bother me, but a little extra protection from major dings while in the trunk of the car or on a plane definitely helps.

My thoughts exactly!!clapping.gif

Callaway Big Bertha 10.5º
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25º hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54º/58º
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

Irons are a little different from woods and putters. Typically, there is no paint to chip on an iron like there is a wood. On the same hand, people don't typically spend several hundred dollars on a single iron shaftt. With putter, they often have inserts or are another soft material that can be damaged by the irons. Irons cost about $90 individually. Most putters that have covers are around $300. If you were spending $300 per irons, than maybe covers would make more sense. To each their own. I'm not a fan of covering the front of your car or plastic on my furniture either though.

I have never personally seen in any in play when I played college or the summer amateur and junior circuits, but that doesn't mean anything. Just please don't think of irons as an investment. Investments are supposed to grow in value. I doubt anybody would play with irons that will only go up in value.

No, I don't use iron head covers and play relatively soft X-Forged heads.  I've had these clubs since their introduction in 07.  They look reasonably good today too.  My clubs are kept in the back of my vehicle at all times, and the carry bag has it's rain hood on until I hit the course.  The only time they might hit one another is when riding in a cart.  Do I care .. NOPE :D  Yes, they have some minor dents on the soles, as they should since thats that part that slams into the ground.

That said, for the OP's sake there was a time when I used iron head covers; back when I first took up the game.  Maybe I didn't know any better either.. :lol: not sure.  Using them didn't last very long as they were a bothersome pain.  Not only did they keep moisture, even the best of them have a way of being annoying, disappearing, even slow play.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I use them on my MP 52's and 32's and both look brand new after owning them for over 2 years now. It takes literally a couple of seconds to take the cover on and off so I am not holding anyone up. I do not care what others think.

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

I use them, and dont really care what other people think. I dont have any at the moment, as I lost a couple from my last set, and have not replaced them (simply because I havent been anywhere that sells them in a while). I use the neoprene covers, and in the several years I have used them, I have never had an iron rust. On top of that, I have never dried an iron off before putting the cover back on, and again, no rust.

As I said in another thread, dings from rocks, roots, or whatever else is in the ground is inevitable, and I consider them battle scars. Dings from your clubs banging together is easily avoidable, and I consider them sloppy looking.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

[quote name='richaong' date='25 March 2010 - 08:01 AM' timestamp='1269522103' post='2339728']
for anyone so against iron head covers, I'm assuming you don't have covers on your putter or woods either?
[/quote]

Woods have PAINT on them (that looks awful if it gets scratched, nicked up, etc.) and even worse they can dent. Not even comparable...

an iron is used to dig into the ground, dirt, mud, sand (possible rocks)...why would you spend the time and effort to put covers on them?? Bag chatter?? I've kept my forged irons in my trunk, playing golf, taking them in and out, traveling with them, etc. for as long as i can remember WITHOUT COVERS and they are FINE. The only dings on them are from hitting balls on the course or on the range...not from bag chatter.

I never used head covers before, I just thought they were a waste of money. I bought a new set of MPs- 57 and thought "well I invested almost $1000 in an iron set, do I really want them to chatter in the bag and get wasted?". Well, I bought the head covers and I think they are a great addition to the bag. If I made such an investment in my equipment, the most reasonable thing would be to take care of it, and be as careful as possible. I first started using them just when carrying the bag around and took them off to start the game, but then I thought how stupid was that an ended up using them all the time but when I'm cleaning the cubs at home.

I think people against the head covers talking about "they give spirit to the game" or "the irons hitting sound is part of the game" kind of resemble the guys who say playing a titanium 460cc Driver or Cavity backs is against golf's "tradition". SPecially since carrying them on a push/pull cart doesn't seem to me to be so "traditional".

Here are the pros I see:

-Obviously, they chatter less which ends up helping to preserve their good looks and shinny finish. This won't have any impact in your game, but I feel quite sad every time I see my irons dented. Its not only about carrying them in the field, but movement in the trunk of your car, for example. This does have a certain important in re-sell value as well, since their condition does keep much better.

-If you've ever made the mistake of putting any of our woods or driver without a headcover in your bag for a second (maybe when you were going to hit a 7W and then changed your mind for a 4I and came back to the wood), you avoid the easier to dent fairway woods to have any issues if hitting against the irons. As well, if you ever have had the issue of your bag falling due to windy conditions or any other reason, you'll thank to have your head covers on.

-It really does only take 4-5 seconds more in your shot to put on and off a head-cover. You really don't slow down anybody by doing so. And you should tell the guy who says you do so to stop reading the putter shot which he is going to miss anyway for 5 minutes....

-One thing I like is to avoid people looking at what I have in my bag. A set of new Titleist blades, or Mizuno Irons surely make people notice your bag and that's the last thing you would want. Unfortunately, some people lurking around might feel very "friendly" with your new clubs and use any opportunity they have to take one of your clubs out. It has never happened to me, but I have had friends with an AP1 and an s59 missing between their car and the first tee. Covers make your bag unnoticeable, and unless you play the clubs you play to brag about them (which is very sad by the way), you would want to keep people not noticing what you have in your bag.

Cons:

- Make sure you wipe your clubs before putting the head covers on again in wet conditions. They don't rust, but might smell funny.

-Some guys at the course will think you're stupid for using head covers. Remember you where the one who paid $1000 for the irons, not them.

+1

Also I have yet to find anyone buy a used set of irons because they have a lot of "character" in them. Usually people say look how great a shape these used irons are in, not wow look how good they look w/ all this character/bag chatter.rolleyes.gif

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[quote name='richaong' date='25 March 2010 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1269522103' post='2339728']
for anyone so against iron head covers, I'm assuming you don't have covers on your putter or woods either?
[/quote]

Ridiculous comparison

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

If I spent $1k plus on a set of brand new irons and I planned on keeping them for 5+ yrs then I would probably use them if they were forged. I never keep irons past 6 months so I dont use them. I try and buy "Like New" irons online at half the MSRP of new and I typically just trade them back in on something else, they give you the same trade in price whether they look new or look like you were hitting rocks with them for half the season.

Drivers and FW's are different due to the paint that can chip off plus they are just not as strong as a solid iron so they would dent a lot more. Putters, if I had a cheaper Oddysey or Ping that was cast, I wouldnt use a putter headcover. I do keep my Cameron covered at all times though, for one I will never get rid of this putter and two, it dings up way to easily without a cover and it does cost a bit to get it refinished plus the time lost of not having it in the bag.

I dont care if guys use them or not, just dont lose them and make me drive the cart back to the last three holes we played to help you find it.

please I beg all of you to stop purchasing these iron covers, I have to clean clubs at my course and these are a pain in my a**! actually the neoprene ones arent bad but those castle bay hard plastic ones make me want to :russian_roulette:

TM Stealth 8* HZRDUS Hulk 70TX
TM tour issue 2017 M2 Diamana DF 80TX
Srixon ZX 3 iron Ventus Blue 10X 
Srixon ZX7 Modus 120X
Cleveland Zipcore 52*, 56*, 60* full face DG Tour Issue Spinner
Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2 SSS 350

I had my first ever "nice" set of irons-some Titleist DCIs, they were cast, etc. and I so I bought iron headcovers and thought I was cool. After one round they went into the garage forever. Now I have some forged Mizunos and after one round already have some dings and stuff and I dont care those things are way to big a PITA to remove/replace after every shot

I couldn't possibly use them... (I don't care enough) and don't care if anyone uses them either.

But I did find this on another forum awhile ago...

lollerskates.jpg

:lol:

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

haha. I can't believe I ran across this thread. I once commented on a similar topic on another forum and I think most people ended up hating me. I play forged irons and would never dream of putting iron covers on them. Bag chatter really doesn't bother me and frankly it's generally not that bad. It might have something to do with the fact that I almost always walk.

If you have iron covers you simply do not get it. To those that do "get it" you might as well be carrying a ball retriever and have one of those strings of beads for counting your strokes. If that comparison doesn't scare you then you cannot be reasoned with.