Playing Golf at Twilight Hours? - Advice needed!

Planning golf trip in Vegas/Mesquite
Hi Guys,

I am going on a golf trip to Vegas/Mesquite next week and wanted to know about playing twilight times in the southern US (I am Canadian). I want to keep the costs as low as possible so I was thinking of playing TPC Las Vegas (expensive course I know) at the earliest twilight they have - 3pm. Do you think a group of 4 can comfortably get in 18 at that time? We are carting it but I am not sure how congested these nice public courses are.

BTW...

My friends and I have a budget of about $100 for each course we are playing (so no Bali Hali for us). We want to play worthwhile courses without going too over the top. TPC Vegas is $125 for twilight but I have never played a PGA quality course before and I would think it would be a great experience. Any suggestions for other Vegas courses are welcome!

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about "comfortably" getting a round in is all dependent on if your group are the type of guys who spend a total of 20 minutes putting each green. At my home course it plays 7200 and I get out of school at 2:00 and I walk 18 with 3 of my buddies, we're usually done around 6. But, we hit our shots think while getting there, take 1 practice swing, line up and put it on the green, then take one glance at our lines on the green and hit the thing. Just depends on how you play the game.

my friends and i aren't hacks but not scratch golfers either. we all shoot in the mid to high 80s (semi-hack then...) with one dude shooting in the low 80s consistently. we are never the cause of slow play at a course and are normally the ones waiting on the group in front to keep up. on average it takes about 3.5-4 hours to play a round with my buds. i was just worried about the sun setting around 7 as that is exactly the 4 hour mark.

we are playing these courses. please comment if you have any experience with them or have any suggestions. thanks!

In Mesquite:

Oasis Palmer, Falcon Ridge and Conestoga

In Vegas:

Either Angel Park or TPC Vegas

The problem is, is that EVERYONE comes out to play at twilight, especially at angel park, so there's no way you'll get in 18. Typical round in Vegas is about 5 hours, so you're looking at maybe 12 holes or less... Mesquite is a different story however, it's deserted out there, you can breeze though (Falcon ridge is nice!) One thing you might want to check into is the players cards that courses sell, they usually cost around 100 bucks, but you can get the resident rate and play earlier in the morning...just a thought :good:

If you're in Mesquite, you have to splurge one time to play Wolf Creek! See what their twilite rates are and make it happen. Punch sunset sunrise into google and you can find when it's twilite anywhere in the U.S. Oh, and by the way, Blue Jays suckman_in_love.gif Sorry, coming from a fellow Canadian who's a Yankee fancheesy.gif

PXG Gen2 10.5 Ventus 6S
Epic 3 wood 15 degree Hzurdus S
Mizzy CLK hybrid
Mizzy JPX 919 forged
Miura 55 & 59 degree
Evnroll ER6

Headed there this weekend from Vancouver and booked 3 rounds in the Vegas area. Twilight round Sunday at Angel Park was 49 bucks. 2pm tee time hope we'll get it in after what was said!!
Monday we've got two rounds booked at The Revere. 2 courses offering 2 fo 1 price apparently due to some fairway over/under seeding issues on one of the courses apparently 75 percent back.. Greens and tees are fine. Anyways 179 for the two so well under your budget
have a look!

[quote name='J9293' date='25 March 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1269543648' post='2340409']
my friends and i aren't hacks but not scratch golfers either. we all shoot in the mid to high 80s (semi-hack then...) with one dude shooting in the low 80s consistently. we are never the cause of slow play at a course and are normally the ones waiting on the group in front to keep up. on average it takes about 3.5-4 hours to play a round with my buds. i was just worried about the sun setting around 7 as that is exactly the 4 hour mark.

we are playing these courses. please comment if you have any experience with them or have any suggestions. thanks!

In Mesquite:

Oasis Palmer, Falcon Ridge and Conestoga

In Vegas:

Either Angel Park or TPC Vegas
[/quote]

Played Angel Park (Mountain) this past Sunday. Greens were very fast with crazy pin placements, if you play Mountain the best advice is read more break. Haven't played any of the other courses yet.

I've played TPC Las Vegas and wasn't impressed. The layout was just so-so and the condition of the course was much worse than I would expect, especially considering the price.

I also don't think you're going to finish. Later in the day, rounds usually get longer, not shorter. So I'd expect your round would take at least 5 hours.

If you're trying to keep costs down, I would suggest playing a different course earlier in the day.

thanks for all the replies. it seems that playing at 3pm is pushing it. i will take all the advice here and play an earlier round at a cheaper course. most likely at angel park after reading that TPC Vegas wasn't as good as expected.

thanks again for the responses. i would have been really upset paying $125 to play TPC Vegas and only get 14 holes in.

If you're in Mesquite, you have to splurge one time to play Wolf Creek! See what their twilite rates are and make it happen. Punch sunset sunrise into google and you can find when it's twilite anywhere in the U.S. Oh, and by the way, Blue Jays suckman_in_love.gif Sorry, coming from a fellow Canadian who's a Yankee fancheesy.gif

My buddies and I have looked into wolf creek many times. it is $175 to play using their "hot times specials". the pictures look amazing but i can't justify paying that much. i hear that falcon ridge is similar so playing that at 2 pm the day we arrive for $60 i think?

i understand your lack of faith in the jays this year. for the first 1/3 of the season last year we were first in the AL east. now with halladay gone we are going to end up last like the Leafs. aren't toronto teams great? don't get me started about the raptors. man.....

i do have a philly halladay jersey now so at least i can watch him win!

The problem with Wolf Creek is that they would never finish if they tee off at 3. With long drives between holes and from tee to fairway, at best they would get 12-14 holes in.

I would second Dryl's recommendations of the Anthem courses. My in-laws use to live in that community and I played both tracks. Both are better than Angel Park IMO.

[quote name='dryl' date='25 March 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1269550181' post='2340615']
Headed there this weekend from Vancouver and booked 3 rounds in the Vegas area. Twilight round Sunday at Angel Park was 49 bucks. 2pm tee time hope we'll get it in after what was said!!
Monday we've got two rounds booked at The Revere. 2 courses offering 2 fo 1 price apparently due to some fairway over/under seeding issues on one of the courses apparently 75 percent back.. Greens and tees are fine. Anyways 179 for the two so well under your budget
have a look!
[/quote]

we are staying in mesquite for 3 days and flying out from vegas saturday night (4 day trip). that means we only get 1 round to play in vegas so we decided at angel park for $49 like you. we were looking at the revere course too but we saw that over seeding issue. i don't think it will be that big of a deal for you guys though.

also consider desert pines. i know its expensive but i saw a time at golfnow for $99 at 7:30 am on sat. its an upscale course like bal hali for a decent price. we aren't playing it because that time doesn't work for us but you should consider it.

have fun on your golf trip dryl!

If you shoot in the upper 80's do yourself a favor and avoid Wolf Creek! I shoot in the low 70's and that course can be tough depending on the conditions. In the afternoon it often blows pretty good out there. My parents live on the new Canastoga course and its really nice, Troon managed and in pretty good shape for being opened for less then a year. I would advise Falcon Ridge, nice layout and fun to play.

--jason

Best advice I can give...for Twilight rounds bring a sleeve of yellow balls. You will get in a couple extra holes with the day-glow yellow balls.

I just saw Srixon has their pro level balls in the bright yellow, so the Top Flites and Pinnacles are no longer the only choices.

This is a MUST if you are looking to maximize your playing time. :friends:

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130