GPS Holder on your Push Cart

What combination do you use?
I have an SG2 that I regularly use on my Clicgear. I use the GPS holder designed for clicgear (Proactive-see photo). Does anyone else find this clip sucks? My GPS unit just sits in the holder and spins? I may have to modify it by adding Velcro strips on the unit and holder. What GPS holder set-up are you using with your push cart?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About a year ago, golfers were complaining about that clip, saying that it spins/moves too much. The clip that MikeMo shows is a better option. They are selling universal holders like that now. They are the same type of holder you can get anywhere that holds phones in your car. It's the bracket that connects to your push cart handle that is proprietary. In other owrds, don't expect to find the bracket in Kmart or Target.

I too have the skycaddie temporary mount, and use it with a sg3 on my V2 push cart. I clamp it on the left handle, just above the storage compartment, and it sits up quite nicely for viewing.

I bought my mount on ebay though, as I wasn't about to pay full pop (70?) for a mount. Got it for less than half if I remember correctly.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Rammount makes all of the stuff for skycaddie. You can't buy one as a whole unless you buy it through skycaddie. But you can go to the rammount website and put your own together. You just have to find the parts. For example, instead of looking for the golf section, go to the gps section. THe sg3 and 4 are magellan explorist gps model 200's. If you look that up at rammount, guess what, the exact same holder for about 10 bucks cheaper. It doesn't have the skycaddie badge on it but it's the same equipment. PLus you can also find a quick release tab that allows you to take the holder off the mounting arm without taking the gps out of the holder. So you stop scraping up the gps. You can also find any number of ways to customize the bracket and arm length. Good shopping.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a Clic Gear 2.0 cart, and just bought a upro gps. I was considering one of these mounts, but since the upro has a smooth back, I don't see anyway to attach it to the mount (unless I use some rubber bands or velcro strips on the mount and the gps. I'm thinking I may get the upro belt clip, and clip it to the installed umbrella holder. Anyone have any other possible solutions for the upro besides what's already listed?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the 'proactive' mount shown in the first post in this thread. I find that it works quite well. I'm not sure I understand what the complaint others have about this mount is. My GPS can spin within the mount (it is locked in using the circular belt clip holder), but gravity naturally keeps it primarily in one direction.

My only complaint is that it the mount places the GPS below the cart handle, making it a bit harder to read. I previously hacked together my own GPS mount that placed the unit above the handle. ( http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads/11919-Clicgear-GPS-mount ) But, the easily hand tightened ProActive mount is what I use now.

The ProActive mount does have a bit of a flimsy feel to it. I'm surprised that ClicGear or Sun Mountain have not come out with something a bit nicer based on the umbrella mount.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='todd_i' date='13 June 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1276454057' post='2505984']
I use the 'proactive' mount shown in the first post in this thread. I find that it works quite well. I'm not sure I understand what the complaint others have about this mount is. My GPS can spin within the mount (it is locked in using the circular belt clip holder), but gravity naturally keeps it primarily in one direction.

My only complaint is that it the mount places the GPS below the cart handle, making it a bit harder to read. I previously hacked together my own GPS mount that placed the unit above the handle. ( [url="http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads/11919-Clicgear-GPS-mount"]http://thesandtrap.c...cgear-GPS-mount[/url] ) But, the easily hand tightened ProActive mount is what I use now.

The ProActive mount does have a bit of a flimsy feel to it. I'm surprised that ClicGear or Sun Mountain have not come out with something a bit nicer based on the umbrella mount.
[/quote]
Nice gps mount mods. I might have to borrow your idea if I can find this material in black. Is there a reason that you stopped using it? Just off and on convenience?

I was going to go to HD or Lowes and buy a small piece of lexan and machine it into a nice bracket that mounted to my push cart, but then I found this universal GPS holder at a local proshop for $30 and decided to give it a try. http://www.bracketron.com/universal-golf-cart-gps-mount

So far it does the job nicely and is perfect for my Golf Guru G002 and it adjusts to hold virtually every other golf GPS on the market.

[quote name='Andy L' date='27 June 2010 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1277644796' post='2539527']
I was going to go to HD or Lowes and buy a small piece of lexan and machine it into a nice bracket that mounted to my push cart, but then I found this universal GPS holder at a local proshop for $30 and decided to give it a try. [url="http://www.bracketron.com/universal-golf-cart-gps-mount"]http://www.bracketro...-cart-gps-mount[/url]

So far it does the job nicely and is perfect for my Golf Guru G002 and it adjusts to hold virtually every other golf GPS on the market.
[/quote]

Andy and Gjpep:

This looks nice...do you know if this will attach nicely to a Sun Mountain push cart?

Also, I use Golfshot on an iPhone - do you know if an iPhone will fit in this unit holder (I'm pretty sure it will but thought i'd ask anyway)?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='straight slice' date='04 July 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1278293758' post='2554946']
[quote name='Andy L' date='27 June 2010 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1277644796' post='2539527']
I was going to go to HD or Lowes and buy a small piece of lexan and machine it into a nice bracket that mounted to my push cart, but then I found this universal GPS holder at a local proshop for $30 and decided to give it a try. [url="http://www.bracketron.com/universal-golf-cart-gps-mount"]http://www.bracketro...-cart-gps-mount[/url]

[/quote]

Andy and Gjpep:

This looks nice...do you know if this will attach nicely to a Sun Mountain push cart?

Also, I use Golfshot on an iPhone - do you know if an iPhone will fit in this unit holder (I'm pretty sure it will but thought i'd ask anyway)?

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

I would imagine it would fit on the handle of the Sun Mtn. cart--it has a universal bracket that works fine on my Clic Gear 2.0 cart handle, and it's supposed to attach to a motorized cart roof support bar as well. I just tried my ipod touch in it--vertically it fits just fine, but horizontally it's not the best fit (also would depend on the case you use)--not sure if the app runs in a vertical or landscape mode, so that issue may or may not matter. Here's a link to more pics/info (http://www.bracketron.com/universal-golf-cart-gps-mount).

[quote name='Notrightfly' date='29 June 2010 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1277837187' post='2544954']
Would any of the above work with a Neo? It's longer horizontally where all the above holders seem to be for the vertically longer devices.
[/quote]

I just use the plastic belt clip that it came with and added a 1/4" (IIRC) bolt thu the back into the umbrella mount. Total cost + $.45
Jim

[quote name='gjpep' date='11 July 2010 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1278900932' post='2569586']
[quote name='straight slice' date='04 July 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1278293758' post='2554946']

[/quote]

Andy and Gjpep:

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

I would imagine it would fit on the handle of the Sun Mtn. cart--it has a universal bracket that works fine on my Clic Gear 2.0 cart handle, and it's supposed to attach to a motorized cart roof support bar as well. I just tried my ipod touch in it--vertically it fits just fine, but horizontally it's not the best fit (also would depend on the case you use)--not sure if the app runs in a vertical or landscape mode, so that issue may or may not matter. Here's a link to more pics/info ([url="http://www.bracketron.com/universal-golf-cart-gps-mount)."]http://www.bracketro...art-gps-mount).[/url]
[/quote]

thanks for the info....I'll try it out..

I just used my old broken Temp cart mount from sky caddie and screwed it right to the umbrella holder. The screw thread pitch is the same. The best part is it doesnt interfear with the Clic gears Break lever on the new 3.0. All the parts can be bought at http://www.ram-mount.com/.

[attachment=628825:IMG_0273.JPG]

[attachment=628824:IMG_0274.JPG]

Titleist 915D3 / GD Tour AD DI7s
TM RBZ 15* Diamana BB
Titleist 910H 19* 21* Diamana Kai'li
Titleist 714 AP2 4 - PW
Cameron Studio Stainless NP2
Vokey SM 52* 58*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...