MAJOR PROBLEM

butchean

I have a MAJOR problem! I have been hitting a Titleist 983K 9.5* driver for the past 3 years and decided that I would upgrade to the new 905R. I went to a golf course and demoed a 905R 9.5* with a UST V2 stiff shaft on the course and hit it terrible compared to my 983K 9.5* with a Graffaloy Blue Tour stiff shaft. After my disappointing round of 76, I went straight to the range and hit a few more balls with the 905R to see if I wanted to buy it. I contuined to hit it low and short and went into the pro shop to ask the pro if he had any 10.5* demos that I could hit. He only had a brand new wrapped up 10.5*. I have always played a Titleist driver and decided to buy the 10.5* UST V2 without hitting it. I hit the club for the first time today and am hitting it soooooooo high! It's ballooning and I think that I am losing major distance. My question is what can I do with the club without trading it in and losing money paying for the same driver with a lower loft. It's a brand new club! AHHHHHHHHHH! Do you think that Titleist will take it back and exchange it for a new loft? :friends:

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok thanks. This is going to sound stupid, but if the driver does have more than 10.5* of loft do you think that Titleist will take it back for a lower lofted club? I am hitting the club way to high and am losing major distance compared to my old 983K. I just dropped $400 dollars on the club and dont want to trade it in and then pay an extra $150 just to get a lower loft. Is there anything I can do?

Ok thanks. This is going to sound stupid, but if the driver does have more than 10.5* of loft do you think that Titleist will take it back for a lower lofted club? I am hitting the club way to high and am losing major distance compared to my old 983K. I just dropped $400 dollars on the club and dont want to trade it in and then pay an extra $150 just to get a lower loft. Is there anything I can do?

Not really...once you buy it, they pretty much wash their hands of it unless it breaks. The shop would be more likely to do something for you than Titleist.

Sorry you had a bad experience...and I know this won't help much, but this is why fitting is so important.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

u should be able to get 300+ for that driver on ebay so dont trade it in if they give u less for it.

ALL TITLEIST DRIVERS ACTUAL LOFTS ARE 1* HIGHER THAN THEIR MARKED LOFT. which means a 8.5 is a 9.5 and a 9.5 is a 10.5...and your 10.5 is actually an 11.5.... i would check you swing first if just because of a small loft change you went from hitting low burners to high ballooning shots. you should have seem a slight improvement in ball flight but notheing that drastic. Also if this is your home club i would be very dissapointed in your pro for him not helping you out. Titleist would send out demo's and has sent demo's to my pro in different lofts and shaft options.

GoOsE

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Really? I never knew that. I think that thats kinda misleading if you think that you are buying a 10.5* and really get an 11.5*! The 10.5* is pushing it because I have a reasonably high ball flight, so an 11.5* is way to high. Does anybody think that if I go to Titleist and tell them that its misleading to think that you are getting a higher loft then you want that they would exchange it for a lower loft? Now I will be thinking about the 11.5* everytime I hit it!

Really? I never knew that. I think that thats kinda misleading if you think that you are buying a 10.5* and really get an 11.5*! The 10.5* is pushing it because I have a reasonably high ball flight, so an 11.5* is way to high. Does anybody think that if I go to Titleist and tell them that its misleading to think that you are getting a higher loft then you want that they would exchange it for a lower loft? Now I will be thinking about the 11.5* everytime I hit it!

you can complain til you turn blue in the face and titleist will probably still do nothing. their response to your 'misleading the customer's' quote will most likely be "most am's are playing too little loft for them anyways and we are just stroking their egos while trying to improve their game"

sorry to rain on your parade but you are stuck with that driver unless you can sell it on ebay or to a friend you are not getting 400 bucks back.

Ask the pro you bought it from if he would exchange it to a new 9.5° one.

If he does not accept, ask if he would exchange it for the 9.5° driver you demoed. He would not have a lost, since he is trading a used driver to a only slightly used driver.

The pro in my club would certainly do that for me and I don't think many other pros would handle it differently. I hope your pro is a good one i this respect.

Best wishes!

you aren't gonna get anywhere by telling them that they have duped you into buying an 11.5° driver when you thought it was a 10.5° because you already tried a 9.5° (well, 10.5° so it would seem?) and decided with your own judgement that it hit the ball too low.

i think there is a moral in this story somewhere!? i just hope you get the problem sorted.

I think that this is much more common than you would think. As a general rule (not for all, but for most) more loft is better than less loft. From what I have heard a lot of major comanies will mark the loft on their drivers lower than they actually are so that they will still appeal to the "ego" but preform as they should.

ALL TITLEIST DRIVERS ACTUAL LOFTS ARE 1* HIGHER THAN THEIR MARKED LOFT. which means a 8.5 is a 9.5 and a 9.5 is a 10.5...and your 10.5 is actually an 11.5.... i would check you swing first if just because of a small loft change you went from hitting low burners to high ballooning shots. you should have seem a slight improvement in ball flight but notheing that drastic. Also if this is your home club i would be very dissapointed in your pro for him not helping you out. Titleist would send out demo's and has sent demo's to my pro in different lofts and shaft options.

GoOsE

My fitter and I measured some Titleist's drivers to see this variation and noted that the diff is between 0.5* and 1*. Actually, my 9.5* 983K came at about 10.2*, a 8.5* 905S came at about 9* and a 9.5 905S came at 10*.

Most of the retail drivers have some tolerance in the lofts, so I wouldn't take the marked loft as the real one, but once more, there is nothing better than a proper fitting.