Is a getting a Scotty worth the price

Southern Del uh where

I have fallen in love with the scotty square back 2 and have heard nothing but praise for the putters. However is the price for it worth the investment. Being a college student you tend to be strapped for cash bit still have desires of stuff. I have friends who play previous models who wouldn't trade them for the world,so what does this well tested group think should I take the dive or veer away.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would say it is to a certain degree. If you think the putter fits you and really like the way you roll with it that all that matters. There are cheaper putters but that does not mean they are meant for you.

I game a Studio Select Newport 2.5, I think I gave around 220 new for it and have really enjoyed it.

That being said I think you can find a good deal online if you would like to save money.

[quote name='pastatime' date='17 April 2010 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1271533405' post='2385166']
Simply put, you pay for the looks period. You can get the same putter made out of the same material as the SC for alot cheaper.. I would buy it if you like it he makes a great putters and little gadgets..
[/quote]

A Squareback 2?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5โ€
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

sounds like cash may be an issue,

in that case, it's not worth it at all

a Scotty or any other high end putter won't make you any better than using the putter you have currently, or even a $69 cleveland putter

if you love the scotty, save up for one, but there's no correlation between how many putts you'll sink and how much a putter costs.

I find putting to be indivdual and if a SC gives you confidence to make putts the more you will make. I have several Scotty Camerons, I now bag the old TeI3 I made 1 birdie and an eagle today..I played 9 holes I finshed 1 under because I had 2 bogeys.. I really scrambled for par. But I had my first Scotty some 10 years ago and have not looked back.

If you want to get a Scotty Cameron just to pose and show off, it might not work as you will be missing putts and look like a wannabe.
I have a Kombi, and recently tried the Monza Spider Vicino.. The Vicino MSRP is 100 less than the Kombi.. I do not think the Scotty is $100 better than the Kombi. I kinda prefer the Vicino because of the dark finish.. as I like my TeI3 AOP as it addresses the ball.

That being said you can get some Scotty models for less than 150 on Ebay and you could try it out. The PING redwood series is pretty good to especially the Piper S.

Yes.. I have found no other putter feels like a Scotty. I know a lot will disagree but I have putted with every putter brand imaginable and think Scotty's are the best putter out there. I use to have 7 of them.. Down to 2 now.... Highly recommend

TSR 3ย 9.5ยฐ Tour AD XC 6ย X
TSR 3ย 15ยฐ Tour AD DI 8ย X

T-200 (3)ย Modus 3 125ย X

T-100 (4-PW) Modus 3 125ย X
SM9ย (50ยฐ,55ยฐ,60ยฐ) Modus 3 125ย S
Special Select - Newport 2
Pro V1X

ย 

WITB Pics
ย 

If you love the SC square back 2, then get it. Nothing is more important than a putter you have confidence in and love. I sold my SC studio select this winter and now I am regretting that decision. Just because it had a little nick in it, I decided to sell and buy a new one. I also have tried out four different and more expensive putters than a Scotty, with mixed results.

Get it. Take good care of it. Should last you for many years.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

I bought a used Scotty Newport Midslant for $63 and had it refinished. That putter is money for me.

But to your question: There is a distinction between the $69 putters and the milled putters by Scotty and the other top shelf guys.

I place a very big emphasis on Made in USA, and I especially like the one piece, milled from forged block construction. That is a lot more expensive that casting a putter head in China.

Both putters are capable of getting the ball in the hole, but the milled putters are like sports cars compared to minivans ( I own a minivan, lol). Both cars go from point A to point B, but the sports car makes the trip a lot more fun.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 ยฐ
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14ยฐ
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18ยฐ
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19ยฐ
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56ยฐ ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

I'd like to have a SB 2. My local guy has a SB 1, but it's 35" and a little long for me.

Handicap 27.1

I've paid as high as $10,000 and as low as $5,600 for Scotty GSS newports.. I personally think the feel is something that can't be accurately described in words when you get a GSS (not a GSS insert in a 303 head either).. For me it is worth it and the pieces seem to hold their value and increase depending on how rare of if he has stopped making a certain model. I'm sure others can't feel the difference (which sound also plays a big part as well)...

The last time I looked I think his circle T GSS putters all start around $5,000.

Also I don't see anyone else offering putters in all GSS. Too expensive and they probably couldn't get the premium that Scotty does.

[quote name='Pondy' date='17 April 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1271540907' post='2385300']
I bought a used Scotty Newport Midslant for $63 and had it refinished. That putter is money for me.

But to your question: There is a distinction between the $69 putters and the milled putters by Scotty and the other top shelf guys.

I place a very big emphasis on Made in USA, and I especially like the one piece, milled from forged block construction. That is a lot more expensive that casting a putter head in China.

Both putters are capable of getting the ball in the hole, but the milled putters are like sports cars compared to minivans ( I own a minivan, lol). Both cars go from point A to point B, but the sports car makes the trip a lot more fun.
[/quote]

of course Scotty's are good putters, but in most cased you're going to pay a premium for the scotty name vs a comparable quality product

both the Ping Redwood series (milled, similar in quality to many SC offerings) and the Karsten series ($89) are both made right here in the USA (and I'm sure there are plenty of other guys making putters in the USA still)

the "distinction" between the milled SC (and ping redwood and all the other milled guys) and a cast putter is purely cosmetic, you're rolling a ball over a natural grass surface which is far from perfect so I find it a dubious claim that a marginally flatter face will make any difference in the performance of the putter in the real world.

there's nothing wrong with paying more though, they do certainly look much nicer, but they don't putt better

I don't think minivan vs sports car is a fair comparison, I think if you have to draw a vehicular comparison it's more like a Corvette vs a 911, both offer similar speed but one is way nicer.

I game a sweet Scotty and really like it. Ive had 5 or so in the past but this one is the best for me. Ive had other putters tho that rolled the rock equally as good but the right scotty + the jewelery bling factor and your bag is finished off nicely. Dont listen too much to those who think scottys are magical but to those who undertand your paying for the name and still superior performance. Its all about affordability, dude if yor strapped your gonna end up selling so Id hold off for now and try to find one for a steal or from the fam as a present?

Thanks, but I'll stick with my analogy.

I meant there is a world of difference between cast and milled manufacturing methods and costs. Most, if not all, cast heads come from offshore because it is so much cheaper there compared to the US. I think the only people making putters domestically are making milled putters (Cameron, Bettinardi, etc). I'm not implying there's anything wrong with Ping, but I know they closed their domestic foundry and I just assumed they'd moved everything offshore.

There are other (non cosmetic) differences between cast and milled from forged steel putters. My reference was not to a marginally flatter face.

Although we do care how our putters look, IMO the people that buy Cameron putters do so because of the reasons I've mentioned in my first post.

Handicap 27.1

For me, I got a Scotty quite a few years ago because I loved the feel and response when I putted with it. I tried many, and got the one I have (Studio Stainless Newport 2.5) because the feel was different even than other milled putters. Even then, mine has more of a soft "solid" feel than other SS NPs, which had more of a "clicky" feel.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*)ย w/ Tour AD DI 6Xย 
Titleist TSR2ย 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Yep, I'm Scotty only now.

Handicap 27.1

If it sinks putts for you, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Otherwise, it isn't worth jack squat.

Mizuno ST200G 9ยฐ / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TXย  ย 
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13ยฐ / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5ยฐ bent to 17ยฐ / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21ยฐ / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25ยฐ / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1xย 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1xย 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F /ย Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[u]there's nothing wrong with paying more though, they do certainly look much nicer, but they don't putt better

I don't think minivan vs sports car is a fair comparison, I think if you have to draw a vehicular comparison it's more like a Corvette vs a 911, both offer similar speed but one is way nicer.
[/u]

All vehicles will take you from point A to B, but all rides are not the same!

Yes a Scotty is worth the price. Find the Scotty that's right for you. It took me four Cameron's to find the one I'm comfortable with. That being said, wait til after college? Suggest it as a graduation gift to a friend/family member. I sold my clubs to get thru school... Study hard now and worry about equipment later :good:

if you can't tell the difference between a Scotty and a $69 Cleveland, then bless you. You can play cheap golf for the rest of your life.

Sorry, IMO there's no comparison. There may be competitors for Scotty, but they're not at the $69 price point.

IMO the resale value makes up for the difference between a non=Scotty with similar tolerances, and a true Scotty. Getting in is a bit more, but getting out is easier and at a higher level.

I love mine. I paid $247 for a Cali Monterrey. Money. It's my fourth; I got in and out of the previous three with no problem. I only own one now, but it's the only putter I own.

Bought/sold 2balls, Bettinardis, various others, but Scotty gets my vote. I would only consider replacing with a custom Byron or similar.

If the cali is his latest, the bronze look, I tried one and it was clicky like a driver, rolling a pro v! IMO, they are not worth the money new, but finding a good one in excellent used condition brings everything together. I really think putters can be the most fickle club in the bag, so spending $300 or more is just too much. The guy spending 10k does not count, he is a collector. I have one of the early black laguna models, that I paid the titty rep cost for. It's still worth that to me! Good luck!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I have used quite a few different putters the last five years or so. I own at least 10 SC's and probably 15 odesseys, TM Kia Ma, and a few others. They are all good stuff and putt the ball well. Then I was given a Circle T SC T10 button back from a friend who is on the PGA tour. I have to say I Think there is a world of difference in the feel compared to all my other SC putters. Maybe it's the insert or maybe cause it's a circleT, whichever it is I don't care. If something happened to it I would pay the 2-2.5k that they are fetching on eBay for another.

I was always the guy who said the real high end stuff is no different than the off the rack stuff. Well not any more. Amazing putter...

[quote name='Bob57' date='18 April 2010 - 08:10 AM' timestamp='1271542201' post='2385327']
I've paid as high as $10,000 and as low as $5,600 for Scotty GSS newports.. I personally think the feel is something that can't be accurately described in words when you get a GSS (not a GSS insert in a 303 head either).. For me it is worth it and the pieces seem to hold their value and increase depending on how rare of if he has stopped making a certain model. I'm sure others can't feel the difference (which sound also plays a big part as well)...

The last time I looked I think his circle T GSS putters all start around $5,000.

Also I don't see anyone else offering putters in all GSS. Too expensive and they probably couldn't get the premium that Scotty does.
[/quote]

what does this response have to do with
the OP question of value vs. price for a retail SC Squareback 2?

$300 for a retail putter is something I couldn't do now, much less as a college student. It seems like the perfect putter now, but your eyes will wander and soon you'll be looking at another $300!

Of course I game a karsten anser, so my frame of reference must be considered! I am planning on dropping about $300 on a custom carbon steel putter with my 8 week old son's name stamped in it. $300 seems much more tolerable when its going toward a keepsake that I know won't be kicked out of the bag for the latest hot list putter.

I bought a used SC Newport 2 and loved it, had my best putting round ever with it the first time out! Fast forward a year and following a loss of confidence, it's back on the shelf and my old putter is back in the bag, 2nd time out with the old putter and I tied my best putting round...

For me, putting is definitely more about my confidence than the piece of metal I am swinging.

Cameron's are more of a hobby than anything. I got into them about 5 years ago and now have about 25 putters and probably 55 or so headcovers. I look at them as an investment. They hold value and appreciate better than the stock market does right now. Plus if I lose confidence in one, I just swap out to a new one, without losing money. In my opinion not many putters, milled or otherwise, feel as good as a Scotty. But without a doubt, NONE of them hold their value like a Scotty. Save up, buy the one you want, and take care of it dude. You'll get at least 75% back if you get one for 200-220 on ebay, then sell it a few years later.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PWย  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*ย  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

I'm not really sure what happened to me in my case. I was mostly against buying SC. Even after I regularly practiced with them on the putting green is a few different golf stores. Mostly favored the mid-priced Odysseys. One day I came across a 33" Studio Style Newport 2 in great condition with a PINGman grip and I couldn't believe how well I putted with it. Usually I'm a 34" player, and this turned my putting world upside-down. My speed control was off the charts for me with it. I became hooked. Over time, I began to really appreciate the feel and sound of it as well, especially when I changed the grip the the Cameron Black Cord.

Usually I favor 7805/Odyssey #9 style putters and got my hands on a 33" SC CS Del Mar. Wow! I ended up buying one which is now my gamer.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2ย 18* 5Wย Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7Wย Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6Hย Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7Hย Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54*ย PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58*ย PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

If you are making putts with it, it is worth it. I've had my PP Del Mar 3.5 for almost 10 years now and it has pretty much been the only putter I've used on a consistent basis, so much so that I'm looking for another one just for the heck of it. It could have been the same situation with a $25 bargain barrel putter or a $2,000 Circle T - if it works for you, it is worth the money.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105Sย 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach