2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Search Is Over. Gamer V2

pd570

I never thought it would happen to me...
“Pick the ball that’s best for your game.”

Oh, that’s good advice, but hard to follow. It’s such a subjective process. The perfect ball for you may very well not be the perfect ball for me. I’ve tried ‘em all, too. Just about every ball in every line. Taylormade, Titleist, Callaway, Nike, Bridgestone, Srixon, Noodle, Topflite, you name it, I’ve tried it. Two-piece, three-piece, distance, soft—I’ve tried so many balls up and down the ladder of so many brands, and I have found a few that “fit” me.

The HX tour, replaced by the Tour ix, both of those seemed to be the best ball for me. They just seemed to fit my game better than the Bridgestone, Srixon, Nike, Taylormade or Titleist equivalent. Like I said, it’s subjective. Distance off the tee was about the same for me with all the big-league balls, but it’s the short game where I decide.
The feel off the putter, the control around the greens--for some reason, the high-end Callaways just felt better in those areas than did any other.

Of course, they are a tad pricey, but my wife buys me a box for Christmas, my birthday, etc. While I really enjoy those balls, as much as I play, I needed a cheaper alternative. A ball I could really play with that didn’t cost 40 bucks a box. Hence, my quest.

My search for an affordable ball that fits never took me to the internet, despite all the deals I’ve seen posted here. Yes, I know you can get balls, especially used, dirt cheap. I have bought used balls, no problem there. I just like walking into a store, plunking down money, and walking out with what I want. I suppose I’m too impatient to click, order, and wait by the mailbox.

E6, E5, E7, Nike SS, Treosoft, Noodle, Taylormade Burner TP, Burner, D2 Feel, D2 Straight, HX Hot, HX Bite, AD333, TriSpeed, Juice, NXT Extreme, NXT Tour—any ball that didn’t cost an arm or a leg, I’ve tried. I’d pore over ball reviews posted here, thinking, “maybe this is the one!” But time after time, whatever ball I tried just didn’t deliver. It was beginning to look as though a ball is a ball is a ball. Sure, one is different from the other, they do have different characteristics, but none of ‘em set off the “WOW” factor. Playable, but just ok. There was always this feeling of, “well, it’ll do.”

Until.

I tried the Topflite Gamer V2. Missed the Gamer somehow, but picked up a box of V2’s at Wally World. I was skeptical, given that I had tried the D2’s, and just didn’t see the reason for the raves. But, in Sisyphus fashion, I now had one more rock to roll up the hill.

Wow. Finally.

Chipped and putted before the round, and they did feel good. They had a nice feel and sound off the putter, and behaved very well chipping. Promises, Promises, I’ve heard it before…

Then, off the first tee, the durn thing screeched into the sky like a rocket! Hmm…that oughta be pretty good…and it was. This ball was long, longer than any ball I’d ever hit. “Well, I musta really got a hold of that one!” Missed the green to the right, made a good chip, had a short putt for par…so far so good. Still thinking the first drive was a bit of a fluke, but the second drive dispelled that notion. Holy Cow! That ball better have a stewardess on it! “Hmmm…that’s two drives longer than normal in a row…”

It took a few holes for it to sink in. The Gamer V2 was actually longer on drives than even my favorite ball. After every drive, I was in uncharted territory. I did have to club down on approach shots, because I actually found myself sailing the green too many times. So, the distance wasn’t a fluke. But like I said, feel off the putter and behavior around the green is what makes me decide.

If I was going for a hop-and-stop, this ball would hop-and-stop. 40 yards, over a bunker, left a one-foot putt. If I was trying to let it roll out, it would roll out. Nice little 60 yard bump-and-run left a two-foot putt. 150 yards, it would fly true, and not roll another 20 yards when it landed. It felt so nice off the putter. Drained a couple of long putts (which will color your perception of ANY ball!) You know how it is, it’s hard to explain, it just feels good. And this ball feels good.

I’ve never had too much of a problem “shredding” balls with a wedge, maybe it’s my game. At any rate, durability was no problem, even with a few cart paths.

I was impressed with the distance off the tee, and really impressed and surprised by the control factor around the green. Shot an 83, which is a pretty average round for me. The difference between any other day and this day was that elusive “wow” factor. Almost every shot felt great, the ball did what I wanted it to do, like the HX Tour and Tour ix would do. It had the distance, too, that’s for sure.

Wow.

If you’re like me, and you go from ball to ball to ball and you start thinking they’re all the same, hang in there. That ball is out there, somewhere. Don’t give up. It might not be the Gamer V2, but if you haven’t tried it, I would strongly recommend it.

Topflite Gamer V2. Five out of five stars.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen Brother. I shot my 1st 36 with this ball and if I didnt 3 putt the Par 5 18th, I would've had a 34 or 35. It was the 1st day out of the shoot last month. My favorites are the Tour IX, HX Tour, and now the V2. The 1st time I Tee'd off with this, I thought of Jack Hamm and that stupid info-mercial for the Hammer. "Pow" I agree with you on all levels, great ball.

Man I feel like I could have written that original post by pd570. Been there brother and just last week bought a box of G-V.2's at Sports Authority on sale for $16.99 (i think). Played the tightest course in our area and the ball really blew me away. I was able to shape it without problem, it was long and 7-GW was hop and stop or, on some of the more shaded greens that were a little moist, it was just stop and leap back two feet.

Great feeling off my ole Ping Answer and same with my Wedges. True flops really jumped in the air and landed with good spin. Very predictable after most of the round. Durability was not a factor at all.

The only flaw with the ball, and this isn't fair, it the Top Flight logo. I know it sounds elitist but everyone knows the perception people have of Top Flight or Rock Flight. This time I let that go. I decided I wasn't gonna care and I let the ball speak for itself and it spoke well. The course I played is a notorious ball eater and this 13 H/C didn't loose one ball! That's a victory for me.

Is it a ProV1x? Nope. Its a very good ball though and the best ball at that price point ($20) and I would say best at under $30. Just my opinion. The perfect ball for my H/C.

I just had a thread a couple days ago wondering if people liked these, I wish this thread would have been here first lol. I had it narrowed down to the Srixon Soft Feel and the Gamer. I went with the Srixon because I want something a litle different then the same old Titliest,Callaway,Taylor Made balls all over your local course. I've used Top Flite D2, they were alright, but can't get over the dimple in dimple bs. I might have to give those Gamers a chance though once I go through my Soft Feel's.

Nice that you found a ball you like.

But you missed the poor mans HXTour/ IX.

[b]The Wilson TX4[/b] is a 4 piece urethane ball that can be found for a round 15 bucks, it has the crisp feel of the two cally's you mention and has surprising spin on the short game, actually more than the callys, [i][b]certainly[/b][/i] more than the Gamer.

Food for thought old boy

Played this ball today for the first time. I like the original Gamer, but the cover shredded like crazy on me. The new ball is much better all around. Played 9 holes with it, and had no problem stopping the ball on command. LOVE the feel off the driver than long irons. Just pure butter. It's not a Pro V1, but for half the price it's an absolute STEAL. I'm sold. Target here I come.

[quote name='toms' date='24 April 2010 - 01:32 AM' timestamp='1272087150' post='2397682']
Nice that you found a ball you like.

But you missed the poor mans HXTour/ IX.

[b]The Wilson TX4[/b] is a 4 piece urethane ball that can be found for a round 15 bucks, it has the crisp feel of the two cally's you mention and has surprising spin on the short game, actually more than the callys, [i][b]certainly[/b][/i] more than the Gamer.

Food for thought old boy
[/quote]

Sssshhhh.... stop telling folk about the best-kept secret in golf.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

The V2 is a great ball. I've been trying out a lot of balls the past couple of months and have narrowed it down to the V2 and the TriSpeed.

For the money the V2 is going to be hard to beat.

I was thinking the Trispeed was longer off the driver but this week-end I hit a couple of drives with the V2 on two holes that were as long or longer than any ball I've ever hit so the V2 (for me) is as long as any ball.

Callaway Rouge 10.5

Rouge 3 wood

XR hybrid 19*

4-LW XR irons

White Hot 1

What a great site this is! Have always felt the same stuff about Top Flite that most guys do... Top Rocks and all of that.
After reading the great reviews and posts about this ball, I decided to try them- just got two dozen at Dick's this morning for $32 and am planning to play with them this afternoon.
Am a Srixon man, but intrigued by the 3-piece technology of this ball and price

I agree the Gamer is a great ball, but the best kept secret IS the Wilson Tx4 for $15! If only this was more durable, it would be the only ball I play. But, it's $15 so I can stock up. If the Tx4 said "Titleist" on it, you'd see it in way more bags, without a doubt.

Excluding the Tx4, I do agree that the TF Gamer is the best value per dollar of any ball on the market, imo. I agree the dimple in dimple is a bit odd to look at when you first put it in play, but it just performs. My question, is the new V2 more durable? My wedges, heck, even my irons, would chew up the original Gamer.

[quote name='Slunkhead' date='01 May 2010 - 02:33 PM' timestamp='1272738794' post='2412079']
I agree the Gamer is a great ball, but the best kept secret IS the Wilson Tx4 for $15! If only this was more durable, it would be the only ball I play. But, it's $15 so I can stock up. If the Tx4 said "Titleist" on it, you'd see it in way more bags, without a doubt.

Excluding the Tx4, I do agree that the TF Gamer is the best value per dollar of any ball on the market, imo. I agree the dimple in dimple is a bit odd to look at when you first put it in play, but it just performs. My question, is the new V2 more durable? My wedges, heck, even my irons, would chew up the original Gamer.
[/quote]

There's no comparison between the original gamer and the V2 in terms of durability. The original, in my view, was one of the least durable balls I had ever played. It was actually more expensive for me to play them than a premium ball (I could get get anywhere from 9-18 holes out of a premium ball, but the original gamer never lasted me longer than 3 holes). The V2 does not have this problem. I'm getting 18-36 holes out of them now. All in all, a great ball ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Went in to my local off-course to pick up some NXT-Tours for a golf trip I've got coming up. Saw the GamerV2s on sale 2for$33 so decided to give them a try. After a couple of rounds to try them out I'M SOLD. These things are great balls at an incredible price.

I'm certainly not saying anything about them to the guys I'm going on my trip with, I'll let them find out the hard way.

I have the callaway x-jaws wedges and they are brutal on balls because the grooves are so sharp (I love that). The Gamer V2 like many others have said is an excellent ball. The older models were really good too, but they damaged really easy with the wedge shots. The Gamer V2 I played actually survived quite a number of wedge shots with my x-jaws wedges, which tells you how much more durable these balls are.

Played the Gamer V2 yesterday and I have to agree w/ all the positive vibe. Great feel off every club in the bag. Very good distance and shot control. And very durable...I hit one off the cart path and it barely left a mark. Easily as good or better than similar offerings from Titleist, Srixon, etc. The only downside for me is the short game spin is not like a urethane ball, but for the price it is really hard to beat the Gamer V2. I am very impressed.

I picked up a dozen at Target for 13.99. Can't lose, why not for that price right?

I usually play premium balls. Played last weekend with the V2 and love the feel. Was long off the driver, very long but spin around the greens was lacking. Was expecting that so it wasn't that big a deal. Durability is great and obviously I love the fact if I lose one I don't give a you-know-what.

The thing that surprised me was my iron shot approaches. I airmailed 4 greens and I hardly ever airmail greens because my massive ego won't allow me to swing and take the right club like I should. IOW's I always take less club and think I can still get it there, like a tour pro, and 1000% of the time I end up short. I know, I've got a thick skull.

But, 3rd hole, 135 yds out, take my 9 iron out and swing. I think I'm all over the pin. But the ball goes 15yds over the green. Holy s**tballs. Ok fine. Whatever. The 6th hole. 150 yds out, take out my 7 iron and the ball goes 20 yds left-ish over the green. Alllllllll Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty thennnnnnn!!! 9th hole, 120yds out, take out my 9 iron, shot plays uphill and into a slight breeze, ball goes 15 yds over the green. Now I'm pissed. I don't know what the heck is going on. Back 9, I've got 111 yds out, take out my 62* wedge ( I normally would hit pitching wedge but I just want to see what happens, hopefully ball ends up way short.) I swing and the ball goes over the green. Holy Hymen I just cannot believe that I hit a 62* wedge 125yds over the green.

These balls absolutely baffle me. Love everything about them but I can't control them with my irons. They're like superballs. Springy and they just jump off the irons. Does anyone else feel this way? Just me? I have a complex now... :crazy:

I'm one of the jerks thats been buying every box I can find at Target!

I love these balls, I'm not much of a spin player, but I love the durability, the length, and the overall control of these balls.

Greenside spin hasn't been an issue for me, all of my Iron approaches are taking one hop and stopping, i can get them to run out or check up pretty well, and they feel pretty silky off the putter.

The Gamer V2 is my Gamer.

I normally play the Srixon Z-Star or Titleist ProV1. I decided to give the V2 a try. Boy, was I surprised. Long off the tee, extra half club off the irons and felt great off the putter. The guys I was playing with couldn't believe how well I was hitting the ball and that it was a TOP FLIGHT! For the price they just can't be beat.

I'm right there with ya, I bought 3 dozen from target after hearing about the hype from both this forum and my cousin (who I figured I could sell them to if I didn't like them). Anywho, as I said in the 9015d topic, I was crushing the ball off the drive with the gamer, and the irons were going 5 yards or so further than any other ball I've tried. Didn't notice any extra spin, but my short game was terrible today except for the putter, so it was hard to tell what kind of greenside spin these have. Spin off the irons was the same as e5's. Durability seems a little overrated though, started to notice some skuff marks, nothing crazy though. Crazy good off the driver, a little extra distance with the irons and a great feeling when putting. I dig em.