Barnbougle Dunes - Lost Farm

shorrrno

pics! can't wait
Well down here in Australia, Barnbougle Dunes (#1 public course in the country) is adding a new course, Lost Farm.

The current course at Barnbougle has only been open since 2005 and has been ranked:

#1 Public Access in Australia
#5 Course in Australia
#35 Course in the World
#4 Course built in the World in the last 70 years

and Lost Farm is supposedly going to be even better!!

Been looking around and found some pics of how its coming. Can't wait to get down to Tasmania once it's open to play later this year.

It's gonna be a cracker!!

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

• 3 years later...

Can a person golf year round in Bridport? Sorry, I am totally ignorant when it comes to knowing how harsh, if at all, the winters are in Tasmania. My wife & I are planning a trip to AUS in the July/Aug 2016 or July/Aug 2017, and if Lost Farm and Barndougle Dunes are open and playable, I would consider adding Tassie to the itinerary.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I am not a fair weather golfer, so as long as it's not snowing and close to freezing, if the course is open, I'll be playing!

It's already open. Spent 5 days there starting Jan. 2nd.

I enjoyed Lost Farm better than Barnbougle. The accommodations are much better as well. They
have a shuttle that will take you back and forth. Great courses. Not easy.

Weather was...... well lets just say the wind was blowing..... hard..... really really hard......

Did i mention the wind was blowing???

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1393455688' post='8752676']

I enjoyed Lost Farm better than Barnbougle. The accommodations are much better as well. They
have a shuttle that will take you back and forth. Great courses. Not easy.

Weather was...... well lets just say the wind was blowing..... hard..... really really hard......

Did i mention the wind was blowing???
[/quote]
[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1393455688' post='8752676']

[/quote]

Sorry, I am aware that the courses are open, but is it playable in August? Being from the northern hemisphere, my understanding of the severity of winters in Tasmania is next to nothing!

• 1 month later...

In winter it will be cold but not snowing. It may well be raining (which will be cold) and it will definitely be windy. I played Barnbougle Dunes in winter, in the wind and the rain and had a ball. Wanted to go back for 9 more but I made the fatal mistake of going with my wife - she was back from the Lavender Farm and ready to head off. A mistake one does not make twice!

If the sun is out, you will probably find you get sunburnt even if it is 10*C - that hole in the ozone everyone worries about? Right over Tasmania.

Will you have fun? Absolutely. You might shoot the worst score you've had in the last 10 years, but if you like links golf where you have to have some imagination, plot your way around, stay out of the wrong bunkers, blitz a drive down wind only to turn around and hit it nowhere into the wind then you'll have a blast. I've played both and both are spectacular. The beer is cold and the fire is warm so the 19th is a great place for 9 1/2 as well. The day I played Lost Farm the only other people on the course were the course raters from Golf Australia. No one else playing. We bought an all day pass and had played 29 (there's 20 holes) in about 6 hours and wished we were able to keep going. Get there at sunup and keep playing until it's dark. Stay overnight and repeat on the other course.

Enjoy

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Can a person golf year round in Bridport? Sorry, I am totally ignorant when it comes to knowing how harsh, if at all, the winters are in Tasmania. My wife & I are planning a trip to AUS in the July/Aug 2016 or July/Aug 2017, and if Lost Farm and Barndougle Dunes are open and playable, I would consider adding Tassie to the itinerary.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I am not a fair weather golfer, so as long as it's not snowing and close to freezing, if the course is open, I'll be playing!

Mate Im a Taswegian before moving to the Big Smoke 16 years ago. Tassie is fine all year. The only place that ever gets snowed out is the west coast around Strahan and Queenstown. I have played both courses there by the way and they are a true test of patience!

BD and LF are awesome. Add Cape Wickham on your list although that is a plane trip to King Island.

• 6 years later...

Both of our 2016 & 2017 options had to be delayed a couple of years (hey, life sometimes happens...) and then COVID delayed our plans again, but lo and behold, we are in the midst of planning a July 2023 trip to AUS to visit family, watch some Women's World Cup and make our way to TAS.  All day tee times are booked for mid-July in 2023 on each of BD & LF.  She who must be obeyed (Mrs. T2GRNN2) and our daughter (luckily, neither of whom are fair weather golfers) and I will hopefully play these two tracks this coming July!  I am stoked!  We will be sure to have our base layers, our mid-layers, and our waterproofs....as well as our sunscreen!

Let the countdown begin......

Excellent... it will not dissapoint! A group of mates and I go there every year/2years depending. Usually spend about 3 days there and play as much golf as we can (read: ~6-7 rounds)

We usually travel Autumn or Spring.  Whilst I have never been there in Winter I very often hear that it is the best time to go as there are less people but more importantly (generally) less wind.

Just an extra layer and you'll be fine.

They have the Bougle Run course open there now (short 12 hole course, majority of holes around 120yards or so) great fun and you have to do it at least once. With reduced daylight the all day rate at may not be that advantageous as you may only get another 9 holes in??? Instead maybe do each course in the morning and Bougle Run in the arvo??

Have fun and let us know how you go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 7:46 PM, wazandnic said:

Excellent... it will not dissapoint! A group of mates and I go there every year/2years depending. Usually spend about 3 days there and play as much golf as we can (read: ~6-7 rounds)

We usually travel Autumn or Spring.  Whilst I have never been there in Winter I very often hear that it is the best time to go as there are less people but more importantly (generally) less wind.

Just an extra layer and you'll be fine.

They have the Bougle Run course open there now (short 12 hole course, majority of holes around 120yards or so) great fun and you have to do it at least once. With reduced daylight the all day rate at may not be that advantageous as you may only get another 9 holes in??? Instead maybe do each course in the morning and Bougle Run in the arvo??

Have fun and let us know how you go.

Our daughter and I are very avid golfers, and my wife, who is a decent golfer, can be coaxed along for two rounds...... on consecutive days on each course, we have a 7:30 am tee time and I am hoping if it is quiet, we should get around in about 4 hours or a tad over that, grabbing a very quick lunch, and maybe getting out a little earlier than our 12:30 afternoon tee time if it is as quiet as some say it should be.    From what I can find, sunrise is very close to 7:30a and sunset is very close to 5:00p while we are there.  It will be a blast even if we can only finish 15 or 16 holes in the afternoon round.   

Yes I believe it will be quiet enough and that scheduling feasible. May just be a little chilly early and at the end of the day.  

Even when we go in peak times we have found around middle of the day it is fairly quiet. We go off early and then again just after lunch and often can move tee time forward or later as its quiet. Always amazes us how few groups actually do the all day (36holes)

In Winter I imagine most will prob look to play around the middle of the day ~10-2ish. 

On 11/1/2022 at 6:34 PM, wazandnic said:

Yes I believe it will be quiet enough and that scheduling feasible. May just be a little chilly early and at the end of the day.  

Even when we go in peak times we have found around middle of the day it is fairly quiet. We go off early and then again just after lunch and often can move tee time forward or later as its quiet. Always amazes us how few groups actually do the all day (36holes)

In Winter I imagine most will prob look to play around the middle of the day ~10-2ish. 

Perfect!  This is exactly what I hoped to hear.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have had several trips there during Aus winter months. It is a bit of a local secret that the weather is pretty good in winter and the corses are basically empty. We have never had a day where we could not play due to wind or rain. 

• Like 1

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi @T2GRNN2,

How did your winter visit to Barnbougle go?

Tasmanian golf has been on my bucket list for years, and I may have 2 weeks to spare in August… Trying to figure out if it’s worth heading to the other hemisphere, or if I should wait for Spring. Like you I’m not a fair weather golfer, but I’m not a glutton for punishment either! I can deal with cold, wind or rain - but preferably not all three at once 😉

Would love to hear about your experience (or anyone else who’s played Barnbougle during the Australian winter). 
Thank you!!

My brother in law played there a week ago (first week of July), teed off at midday with his son. Said it was as calm as he had seen it. The picture he sent me, his son just had shorts and shirt on and he had shorts shirt but also a lite vest. I suspect it might have gotten a little fresh by the end of the round, but he didn't mention it. He did say he saw just one other group out on course!

Sure you can be unlucky with a cold snap but everything I hear is that winter is a great time to visit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 7:50 PM, FairwaysAlex said:

Hi @T2GRNN2,

How did your winter visit to Barnbougle go?

Tasmanian golf has been on my bucket list for years, and I may have 2 weeks to spare in August… Trying to figure out if it’s worth heading to the other hemisphere, or if I should wait for Spring. Like you I’m not a fair weather golfer, but I’m not a glutton for punishment either! I can deal with cold, wind or rain - but preferably not all three at once 😉

Would love to hear about your experience (or anyone else who’s played Barnbougle during the Australian winter). 
Thank you!!

It was fantastic!  The whole experience at Barnbougle met my expectations, which were very high to begin with.  Lost Farm was a treat to play and Dunes was pretty cool as well.  I was playing with my wife and my 15 year old daughter.

We were the second group off in the morning at Lost Farm, teeing off around 7:30 or 7:40.  We got around relatively quickly for not knowing exactly where to go and for hitting rental clubs that were not our own.   My wife decided to call it a day after the first round.  My daughter was gung-ho to get the second round in, as she had never walked two rounds in a day before.  With the course being quite wide open, and a slow-ish looking threesome heading out just as we were getting ready to go, the friendly chap in the clubhouse suggested we start on 16, play the end of the back nine and then head to 1 to go onwards.  He also suggested that if we look pressed for time as we started the back, we could go from 10 green directly to 13 tee, skipping 11 & 12.  We made good time through 16-17-18 (skipping 18a) and the front nine, not running into any other players at all.  We could see the group in front of us walking off the 11th tee as we teed off #10.  As we walked up 10, we decided to try to play 11 & 12 and then through to 15.  The thought being that if we skipped 11 & 12, we definitely would not get the entire round in, but if we played 11 & 12, and then on to 13-15, there was a chance that we would get in the entire round.  We came up to the group in front of us on our approaches into 12 green.  We began to think that finishing would be in doubt as they appeared to be three guys who were out for a good time and not overly accomplised golfers.  As we walked to 13 tee, we were surprised that the guys were waiting to allow us to play through them on 13!  This enabled us to finish 13-14-15 with about 45 minutes of daylight to spare.  Playing two rounds (20 holes on the first round including 13a and 18a, and 18 holes on the second round, skipping 13a & 18a) with my daughter for her first "double header", on this caliber of a course, easlily made this one of my best days of golf in my life thus far.   The first two holes of Lost Farm sort of ease you into the round.  The third is a great hole for a short-ish par 4 with high and low options on the fairway and a green complex that is superb.  Then the fourth, a par 3 into what appears from the tee to be an infinity green, heading west towards the Dunes course just beyond the Great Forester River....this truly is one of the best spots on the entire property.  The blind tee shot on 5 is killer, especially with rental clubs that are not quite what one is used to hitting.  The more you cut off on the tee shot on this dogleg right hole, the further up the large aiming hill one has to hit.  If you don't bite off enough of the corner, your bail out runs out of fairway pretty quick on the left side of the hole.  A fantastic tee shot.  6 is a great par 3, with a false front on the left front half of the green, and a massive bunker on the right front half.  7 is a great par 4, with a generous landing area, although if you stay short-ish and go stray too far to the right, your second becomes a blind shot.  8 is a wicked par 5 that will be a 3-shot hole for almost everone.  The thinking begins once you get to your drive...where do I want to play my second from?  9 is another hole with an upper and a lower option.  The upper option is narrow, but leaves an easier shot into the green.  The lower option funnels balls left where one may end up blocked out from the green.  I am not sure that I have played 9 holes anywhere that are this much fun to play.

The Dunes was almost as much fun.  We were second off, teeing off at 7:30 give or take 5 minutes.  We played in a steady rain and into a pretty decent wind.  Bringing our GoreTex rain gear paid off this morning.  It was a little colder this day, and the rain added another level of issues.  That being said, we played on and we had smiles on our faces.  We got around in roughly 4-1/2 hours.  The 7th is a wicked short par 3.  They say it is Tasmania's version of the postage stamp hole from Troon, but I don't recall that one being so devilish.  I missed the green long and right.  Playing links golf, trying to keep the ball on the ground, I thought I would putt the ball onto the green.  If I hit my putt just a little too hard, it would have gone into the front bunker.  Well, after four missed attempts at getting my ball on the green with my putter, my fifth rolled to a foot.  A one-putt seven on the 120 yard seventh was the low-lilght of my two days walking around Barnbougle.  My wife and daughter persevered through the round, but after 18 holes, they decided that they had enough of the cool, and even if the rain had stopped, they had a bit of a chill that they wanted to do away with.  I started the second 18 on my own, quickly getting through the first 8 holes of the front, until I came up to what appeared to be three groups of foursomes.  Not wanting to bully or push my through, I took my time from there.  Another single came up to me on 11 and we played in as a twosome.  I finished the second round with about a half hour of daylight left.  My wife and daughter met me at 18 and we quickly made our way to the restaurant at Lost Farm where we had a toast to fantastic golf in a fantastic golf setting as the sun set into the Bass Strait on the horizon. 

It is a long way to go to Tasmania from western Canada, but for me, it was well worth it as both courses are amazing.  My wife was more than generous enough to allow me to add it to our itinerary for our trip to Australia this July, and I am eternally grateful for that.  The courses are amazing and the golf is fun.  Seeing the smiles on my daughter's face both days was very cool, even in the less than ideal conditions of the second day with scores that were not as low as she was hoping to shoot. Having been to Bandon Dunes, Barnbougle had been on my bucket list for a while.  If I was ranking Lost Farm and the Dunes courses against the five courses at Bandon, I would rank them 2nd and 4th or 3rd and 4th.  They are great tracks, and they are a blast to play.

I will try to add a couple of pictures in the next couple of days.  They are on my travel phone and my wife's and daugher's phones.  

The temperatures that we played in were lows of 8C or 10C (mid to high 40's F) in the morning, and highs of 13C or 16C (mid 50's to low 60's F) in the afternoon.  I had just enough daylight to get two rounds in each day, which was the goal all along.  To use a term that was on the woods of our rental sets, the three night and two days at Barnbougle were EPIC!

Edited by T2GRNN2
Correct some typos...
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...