Srixon ZStar x and ZStar yellow

monkeyboy

Played a few rounds with these balls recently.

Basically I will echo what has been said before..top notch balls that do everything well.

I always liked ProV1 better than any other premium ball for putting, but the ZStar is probably the closest competitor IMO.

I did not feel that I gave much, if anything, away in driver distance, short game spin.

Driver SS = 95-98

I actually felt as if I hit the ZStar x a bit longer off the tee (sorry, no side by side comparison), but like the feel of the plain ZStar better especially when putting...the ball felt great off the face.

I used the plain ZStar in yellow...got them as a gimmic in a family golf competition, but I'll tell you - I can see myself playing with these on a regular basis! The ball did not show scuff/wear as white balls do, they are easy to pickout from a distance, they are not distracting at all when putting. My bigger concern was the razzing I might get from my playing partners - no 'ill' comments whatsoever...and this is a tough crowd.

Great balls! My choice, if I bought more, would be the plain ZStar yellow.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='monkeyboy' date='16 June 2010 - 02:26 PM' timestamp='1276712783' post='2513456']
Played a few rounds with these balls recently.
Basically I will echo what has been said before..top notch balls that do everything well.
I always liked ProV1 better than any other premium ball for putting, but the ZStar is probably the closest competitor IMO.
I did not feel that I gave much, if anything, away in driver distance, short game spin.
Driver SS = 95-98

I actually felt as if I hit the ZStar x a bit longer off the tee (sorry, no side by side comparison), but like the feel of the plain ZStar better especially when putting...the ball felt great off the face.

I used the plain ZStar in yellow...got them as a gimmic in a family golf competition, but I'll tell you - I can see myself playing with these on a regular basis! [color="#ff0000"]The ball did not show scuff/wear as white balls do[/color], they are easy to pickout from a distance, they are not distracting at all when putting. My bigger concern was the razzing I might get from my playing partners - no 'ill' comments whatsoever...and this is a tough crowd.

Great balls! My choice, if I bought more, would be the plain ZStar yellow.
[/quote]

i think the visible wear is cut down due to the clearcoat theyve put on the yellow version. great golf ball after 1 round.

I've been playing the yellow Z-Star for a month now. I'm going to try the X next time. With fresh grooves on a new set of clubs, the Z-Star is spinning back way too much.

I have also been a little bothered by the impression a lot of the guys at my club have towards yellow balls. One guy actually returns yellow Z-Stars to me, assuming they are mine, as if to make the point that they must be mine, since no one else plays them. I really like the balls and color, but the razzing is taking its toll, I have to admit.

I play the Z-star X Tour yellow and absolutely love them. Great feel off the putter. Great distance off the dirver. Phenomenal spin around the greens and on approach shots with wedges. Couldn't be happier. I will never use another ball until something better comes out.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='Dave T.' date='17 June 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1276805797' post='2516002']
[b]I want a yellow Penta.[/b]. going to try the zstar x next time i come across a sleve.
[/quote]

I had the same thought. A yellow Penta would be sweet.

I normally play the Penta but have been fooling around with the yellow Z-Star and I am liking it. The Z-Star is longer off the driver but I like the Penta better on iron shots. The Z-Star spins just a tad bit too much and I lose 5-7 yards, and it is not as good in the wind.

I rate them equal in spin and touch around the greens but I like the softer feel of the Penta off the putter.

But, I do really like the yellow color - the optics are great.

Overall, I prefer the Penta but if it were yellow that would seal the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

When they first came out I dogged them a little. I thought there is no way that I am going to be seen playing a yellow golf ball, but the more I walked by them in the pro shop the more the intrigued me. The color started to grow on me. I finally got to where I had to have a box. Bought a dozen and absolutely love them. They perform almost as good as the proV. I like the proV1 a little more around the green, but not enough to switch back. The Z-stars are longer off the driver for me and come off the irons better than any ball I have ever hit. Not to mention that I now think the yellow is fantastic. I was having a lot of trouble seeing my ball land from the tee box. I could follow it until it got to a certain distance and then it would seem to disappear, especially on cloudy days. That problem has been eliminated by the tour yellow Z-stars. I can see where my ball lands now and can drive right up to it, instead of towards the general area that I think my ball is.

I found a Z star X and played it a few holes. The first drive my whole group could see it land and roll quite a ways so I could see that I was going to like it. It ended up at 308 yards from the tee. After a few holes he final shot was hit left into the trees where there were a lot of yellow leaves on the grass. Neither I nor anyone else in my group could find it so be careful playing the yellow ones in the fall. Just bought some so we'll see if I still like them.

[quote name='FAIRWAYFOUND!' date='06 July 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1278476381' post='2559017']
I found a Z star X and played it a few holes. The first drive my whole group could see it land and roll quite a ways so I could see that I was going to like it. It ended up at 308 yards from the tee. After a few holes he final shot was hit left into the trees where there were a lot of yellow leaves on the grass. Neither I nor anyone else in my group could find it so be careful playing the yellow ones in the fall. Just bought some so we'll see if I still like them.
[/quote]

Haven't had that problem yet. So far I have lost very few. The only time I actually lose them is if I hit them in the water or tall grass that I choose to stay out of because of chiggers.

The Srixons just rock. Besides being a great ball, the yellow gives you A LOT more time to think about your shot because you know what ball is yours from a distance. It's a mental advantage for me.

I have Some of the new Cally IZs I like a lot and put them head to head this weekend and the Srixon destroyed the Cally. It was a pretty non scientific test though. The back nine at my course plays at least 10 points harder from a slope perspective than the front. I'm usually shooting 4-6 worse on the back. Played the Callys on the front and the Yellow Z on the back. Shot 4 better on the back. If I would not have topped one into the weeds on 18 it might have been 6 better.

Gotta do the Penta Srixon next. I really like the Penta and seem to go back and forth with the Srixon and the Penta. Price and color may win out if it's close enough.

I had never tried a Srixon ball until I saw the tour yellows. I thought it would be fun to use a yellow ball that could actually perform just to see what the guys I play with would say. Turns out I really like the ball, who knew? I started with the X but after trying the regular star I found that to be best for me. I can't say enough good things about the durability of the ball. I have played Pro v1x forever, and it is not comparable the durability of the balls. When you are paying $40+ for a dozen balls, it is refreshing to have a ball get through a round not looking like you hit 5 cart paths. In terms of performance I live in that 100-105 mph swing speed that puts in the voodoo range between almost all tour balls. I found both the star and star X easy to compress and to spin. Since I live in Ohio and we haven't had rain in almost 2 weeks, the summer seems to suit the star best for me. I will also say both balls give excellent feel on iron, wedges, and putting. In closing I can't say what is best performance-wise for anybody else, but if you purchase the star or star x you will be happy with a solid performing, very durable tour ball , that also happens to be yellow.

[quote name='teamyonex' date='19 June 2010 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1277005300' post='2520548']
I've been playing the yellow Z-Star for a month now. I'm going to try the X next time. With fresh grooves on a new set of clubs, the Z-Star is spinning back way too much.

I have also been a little bothered by the impression a lot of the guys at my club have towards yellow balls. One guy actually returns yellow Z-Stars to me, assuming they are mine, as if to make the point that they must be mine, since no one else plays them. I really like the balls and color, but the razzing is taking its toll, I have to admit.
[/quote]

I've been playing the Z-Star yellow the past 2 mos and I love this ball. Funny story though, I recently played as a guest of my buddy at an old prestigous Philly area CC. Im a public course golfer and I did not think twice to play my yellow ball.

My buddy and the caddy were razzing me from the start, and even I had to laugh when my ball took just about every bad bounce possible during the round (the non-member bounce!) . The joke was that the course gods were punishing me for playing the yellow ball.

Im heading over to St. Andrews after the Open, and after this experience with the Gods, I may just play a white Z-star that day.

[quote name='Hit em' Str8' date='06 July 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1278482073' post='2559120']
The Srixons just rock. Besides being a great ball, the yellow gives you A LOT more time to think about your shot because you know what ball is yours from a distance. It's a mental advantage for me.

I have Some of the new Cally IZs I like a lot and put them head to head this weekend and the Srixon destroyed the Cally. It was a pretty non scientific test though. The back nine at my course plays at least 10 points harder from a slope perspective than the front. I'm usually shooting 4-6 worse on the back. Played the Callys on the front and the Yellow Z on the back. Shot 4 better on the back. If I would not have topped one into the weeds on 18 it might have been 6 better.

Gotta do the Penta Srixon next. I really like the Penta and seem to go back and forth with the Srixon and the Penta. Price and color may win out if it's close enough.
[/quote]

I agree. You can see these balls a mile away. They're so bright they actually look bigger from far away. I always know which one is my ball so I don't have to be walking up to other people's balls to check. It's also been the only ball that doesn't get tiny little shutters on it when I hit it with my Cally wedge with the MD grooves.

[quote name='teamyonex' timestamp='1277005300' post='2520548']
I've been playing the yellow Z-Star for a month now. [b]I'm going to try the X next time.[/b] With fresh grooves on a new set of clubs, the Z-Star is spinning back way too much.

[/quote]

So, have you played the X's? What did you find?

I, like you, found the Z-Star to spin just a tad bit too much (and with more side spin than I would like) and have been wondering how the X would compare.

played the Z-Star X today. I didn't get the "wow" facrtor . Didn't find it longer then the Pro V1. It did feel a little soft. I don't think the cover is as durable as the Pro V1. I will play them till gone and either try the new Bridgestone or go back to the Pro Vs. I was hoping this ball would make me a believer but unfortunately it didn't

[quote name='tallgolfnut' timestamp='1280540628' post='2609294']
played the Z-Star X today. I didn't get the "wow" facrtor . Didn't find it longer then the Pro V1. It did feel a little soft. I don't think the cover is as durable as the Pro V1. I will play them till gone and either try the new Bridgestone or go back to the Pro Vs. I was hoping this ball would make me a believer but unfortunately it didn't
[/quote]

im shocked you didnt at least find it more durable. the z-star is the most durable ball i have ever seen.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Z Star Yellow are the best ball to date... The gummy feeling cover is excellent. and better than the White Z stars cover . I have hit trees and cart paths with these balls and they survives.. Barely any marks if any at all... Spin on chip shots is superb.. Distance??? Think I may get a couple more yards than the V and at 5-10.00 cheaper than the Pro-V its a NOOO brainer.....

I found the Z Star yellow to be very short off the driver. Very short. I'm easily 30 yards longer with the Penta. My SS is typically in the high 90s, sometimes touching 3 digits, but I put a lot of spin on the ball because I hit down too much. FTR, I am also really short with the Bridgestone 330 RX (2009). I loved the yellow cover though and am looking for a sleeve of ZXs in yellow.