TP Red vs TP Black (LDP)

Benefactor

I've seen a lot of conflicting information from various places, and the confusion was made only worse by the fact that when Taylormade first started making balls again, the black was the harder of the two. My question is this - strictly in terms of greenside performance, which ball spins more? I don't care about ball flight or driver spin or anything like that, I just want to know which ball checks up more quickly around the greens on pitches, bunker shots etc.

Thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black LDP is for lower spin players, those looking for more spin

Red LDP is for higher spin players, those wanting a ball that spins a bit less

This is DIRECTLY PER TM.

People will chime in and contradict that, but I've played the LDP balls since they came out. I hated the prior red and blacks, but swear by the Red LDP. There can't be many that have played more golf with the Red LDP than I, and I fully support what TM says--it is the lowest spinning, tour caliber ball I've found. That's perfect for me.

There's no "best ball out there"...the best ball is the one that fits you, but this is easily the best ball for me...hence me buying them up every chance I get now that they've stopped making them.

[quote name='Benefactor' date='18 June 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1276884580' post='2517854']
I'm not asking which ball you guys prefer. I'm asking which one spins more around the greens.

Regarding the info on the TM site - I saw that as well, but I wasn't sure if they were talking about full shot spin rates or spin around the greens.
[/quote]

sorry to be so long winded in my attempt to help :russian_roulette:

black is your answer

[quote name='Benefactor' date='18 June 2010 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1276884580' post='2517854']
I'm not asking which ball you guys prefer. I'm asking which one spins more around the greens.

Regarding the info on the TM site - I saw that as well, but I wasn't sure if they were talking about full shot spin rates or spin around the greens.
[/quote]

They are talking about shots hit with irons, full or partial. Black spins more off the irons.

I agree with Muxi as these are great balls and I have been stocking up on them....now I know who keeps beating me to the BST ads for them!! :black eye::black eye:

I have a box of Penta's and so far I like them quite a bit...unfortunately the weather has sucked around here so I have not played as much with my normal conditions to make a fair comparison....stay tuned!

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

[quote name='Benefactor' date='18 June 2010 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1276877040' post='2517621']
I've seen a lot of conflicting information from various places, and the confusion was made only worse by the fact that when Taylormade first started making balls again, the black was the harder of the two. My question is this - strictly in terms of greenside performance, which ball spins more? I don't care about ball flight or driver spin or anything like that, I just want to know which ball checks up more quickly around the greens on pitches, bunker shots etc.

Thanks
[/quote]

Around the greens Red and Black are very similar. Where they vary is which spins more off irons and woods. Although, I regularly play Callaway's i(z), "TMTP Red" is by backup ball; partly because I still have a few dozen left from when it was my main choice. It's a great ball.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

For me the Black spins quite a bit more...dangerous for me off the drivers and certainly shorter on the irons as the Black spins so much more. Around the greens I can get the Reds to two-hop-stop (on good days!) but with the Black I either get them spinning back or they land and pretty much sit on short pitches...

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

To answer OP's question, on full wedge/short irons shots I would say the black spins more. Touch shots around the greens are equal between the red and black.

As for the other question about the Penta. The Penta is straighter off of the tee compares to the Red LDP, but maybe a hair shorter. At least it was the case for me with just a 95mph swing speed. Everything else is better, irons, wedges. Biggest difference is putting feel. Red LDP feels pretty good, Penta is just way better. I don't use an insert putter so YMMV.

Thanks

Around the greens Red and Black are very similar. Where they vary is which spins more off irons and woods. Although, I regularly play Callaway's i(z), "TMTP Red" is by backup ball; partly because I still have a few dozen left from when it was my main choice. It's a great ball.

When does one use one's "backup balls" ??? blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

The TP Black is a harder ball with a softer cover - it will spin more.

The TP Red is a more malleable ball with a harder cover - it will deform/compress more and spin less. Because there is little compression on wedge shots, it will not generate much spin.

I play the TP Red LDP and appreciate the distance and accuracy on long shots. I rarely pull the string on full wedge shots but I don't have trouble checking the ball up on chip shots. I like that I can play a few holes with the TP Red and barely see any scuff marks.

Edit: That was at least how I understood it. Perhaps I should step back and say that I haven't played the TP Black. I also found this thread: [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/344832-highest-compression-golf-ball/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...sion-golf-ball/[/url] where someone posted a document with compression ratings and cover hardness and from that data, the TP Black and TP Red should play very similar close to the green as they were tested to have similar cover hardness (slightly harder than the Pro V1x). Moving away from the green - the harder you hit the ball, the more you compress it, and the less the Red will spin in relation to the Black.

Titleist TSr2 9 Ventus Black 6x | Titleist TSr2 15 Ventus Black 7x | Titleist TSr2 18 Ventus Black 8x  Titleist 620mb 4-P X7 | NCW 51 55 59 X7 | Scotty Cameron NP2 Timeless

Played the black LDP, if you're a high ball hitter, stay away from this ball, it will balloon on you. i cannot stand or play this ball. The TM red ldp is the best ball i have ever used, lower trajectory, great into the wind ball and does not ballon. This ball is a hit and stop ball. The Srixon zstar a close 2nd but durability, hard to beat the TM red ldp.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Hey.....I bought a dozen of the TP Reds the other day and played my first round with one yesterday. Bogeyed 18 to shoot even par 72. I was hitting the ball at least 10 yards farther than I ever have on some holes.

I'm a 0 handicap and have played the course numerous times, so I know where I typically end up after good drives/tee shots.

Green side spin is fantastic as well as the feel when putting.

I plan to buy a few more dozen......

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I play to a 20 handicap and have played the TP black and reds exclusively for the last year. The black definitely spins more. Even I can make a chip shot spin with the blacks. I like to use these balls on courses that are hard or have tight pins. I mostly use the reds though as I like the way they feel off the putter and they are longer with every club.

So if you want spin around the greens, get the blacks.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Cornbread' date='19 June 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1276956973' post='2519301']
Pro V = TP RED
Pro Vx = TP BLACK

The TP Red is a little softer and offers more spin in the shorter irons while the TP Black is designed to be longer.
[/quote]

Isn't this the exact opposite that Taylormade indicated on their website per Muxi's post? I love the TP Blacks and find them to be 5-10 tards longer than the Callaway Tour i(s). I just picked up a box of Z-Stars to compare to the two I mentioned, which are two of my favorites. I also like the Penta but find that it can be a little too high for me on windy days. Off of the putter and short irons/wedges the Penta is awesome. I know it is blasphemy but I have never liked Pro V1s. Maybe I should give the Pro V1x a try.

from the website:
[b]TP Performance[/b] [i][b]TP Red[/b][/i] [list][*]Accelerated ball speed for greater distance[*]High-launch and low-spin off the driver for greater distance[*]Low-launch and high-spin off the irons for greater command[*]Exceptional greenside spin for superior shot-stopping control[/list][i][b]TP Black[/b][/i] [list][*]Accelerated ball speed for greater distance[*]High-launch and low-spin off the driver for greater distance[*]High-launch and high spin off fairway woods, hybrids and irons for greater distance[*]Exceptional greenside spin for superior shot-stopping control[/list]

[quote name='Brettasaurus' date='19 June 2010 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1276960679' post='2519382']
[quote name='Cornbread' date='19 June 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1276956973' post='2519301']
Pro V = TP RED
Pro Vx = TP BLACK

The TP Red is a little softer and offers more spin in the shorter irons while the TP Black is designed to be longer.
[/quote]

Isn't this the exact opposite that Taylormade indicated on their website per Muxi's post? I love the TP Blacks and find them to be 5-10 tards longer than the Callaway Tour i(s). I just picked up a box of Z-Stars to compare to the two I mentioned, which are two of my favorites. I also like the Penta but find that it can be a little too high for me on windy days. Off of the putter and short irons/wedges the Penta is awesome. I know it is blasphemy but I have never liked Pro V1s. Maybe I should give the Pro V1x a try.
[/quote]

You my evil twin :friends: or something? My sentiments exactly. I think you'll love the zstar. You'll find that it's a little higher into the wind shots but it performs much like the ldp red, abliet, imo, it's about 1 or 2 yard shorter. Not tried the zstar-x. I've played the prov1 and prov1x, I like the x better but Titleist, as balls or clubs, never liked them much.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='SwingBlues' date='19 June 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1276978632' post='2519775']
[quote name='Brettasaurus' date='19 June 2010 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1276960679' post='2519382']
Pro V = TP RED
Pro Vx = TP BLACK

[/quote]

[/quote]

You my evil twin :friends: or something? My sentiments exactly. I think you'll love the zstar. You'll find that it's a little higher into the wind shots but it performs much like the ldp red, abliet, imo, it's about 1 or 2 yard shorter. Not tried the zstar-x. I've played the prov1 and prov1x, I like the x better but Titleist, as balls or clubs, never liked them much.
[/quote]

I will try out the Z-Stars tomorrow and see how they do. I hear you on Titleist, can't even pinpoint something in particular just a general indifference.