Help me gain confidence in my decision

Okay, so at the moment im going to college this coming fall for integrative physiology and pre-med. Then following that med school is my plans. Difficulty of classes isnt what Im worried about, I can do that just fine. Its just like, whenever I do anything, Im thinking about golf. I get done with school and am immediately out at the course for 4 or 5 hours before I come home to do my work and get supper. Also, now that its summer and Im holding a job, I go and hit around 200 balls and play 9 starting at about 6:30 in the morning, go to work, get done and head straight back to the course till 8. I enjoy every second of it and have done this for almost 2 years now. I just want to make sure going into medicine will be a good choice, because dont get me wrong, science is my favorite course in school. I just keep thinking maybe I should do something golf related. Granted it would be a much more meager living than an anesthesiologist, I just dont know. Help tell me Im doing the right decision on taking the path to med school!

Titleist TS2 9.5* w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 60x
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 8x
Ping Anser 17* w/Fuji Motore Speeder TS 9.8x
Ping Anser 20* w/Fuji Motore Speeder TS 9.8x
Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW w/PX LZ 6.0
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52* and 58* w/Dynamic Gold TI X100
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange Stealth w/SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 CC
Winn DriTac w/4 extra wraps under bottom hand
ProV1

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know the feeling. I'm getting a PhD in in curriculum and instruction (education), along the road to an academic career. Gotta say, after 4 degrees, 12 years in school and 100K+ in loan debt, I really wish I had chosen golf instead. If I had invested the same cash in my golf game, I would have been on the PGATour by now.

The field you have chosen is high demand, which means you are going to be studying your butt off and then working all the time. Golf will become a luxury, although you will be paid handsomely for your work. Most medical professionals I have played with play golf very rarely. That said, a great income does tend to make your life easier (I hear), so there is that. Having $$ can buy you some pretty awesome golf experiences.

My actual advice would be this: If you find, when you get to school, that you are blowing off your studies to go play, or legitimately feel that school is getting in the way of golf, then maybe you need to reconsider your career choice. The worst thing is life is regret.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Thanks man, and yeah that is what I was thinking. Granted my parents may question the choice but they tell me to pursue what I really enjoy. My dad is a vet and my mom is a teacher and they just want me to have the most enjoyable life I can. Ive had many medical issues in my life (all of which I am fully recovered from except for a deaf right ear and hinder my game in no way, shape, or form) and that really makes me admire doctors. I also truly enjoy everything about being in a hospital and have enjoyed being around surgery most of my life with my dad. I just have to see what I really enjoy more in the next couple of years I guess.

ProV1

Also, I have already developed a workout routine including stretches and alot of strength training to get alot stronger for golf this next semester. Looking at my schedule I have set aside a time each day that I can spend an hour. I did this because I am not taking my car my first semester so I probably will not be playing as much as I would like. Im going to hopefully increase my ss quite a bit and work on the physical aspect of my game since I wont be playing much.

ProV1

I will be starting my first semester of med school this fall and thus far in my undergrad studies I had plenty of time to myself. I could get my work done with plenty of time to practice or play 18 if I wanted. Once you get into your studies you may find that you want to go in a different direction, but just know that nothing can take that treasured piece of paper away.

That really helps man. And Im not sure what to do to play at the 18 hole course closest to the University of Iowa. Its $800 to be a member, where I can play unlimited rounds even through next summer. I would most likely use all of the rounds I need to to make the membership worth it, and if I didnt throughout the year definitely in the summer. Or should I do a frequent play pass thats half the cost, but gets me $500 in rounds there. Not sure what to do.

ProV1

Well thats completely up to you. If you are going to be down a vehicle that comes into play because transportation won't be readily availible unless you find a friend that will play as much as you. If you are really planning on working on the physical aspect of the game you might not play as much as you think. Have you ever had any college classes? I took some classes during high school and kinda knew what to expect. You may find that college classes require a bit more studying, but that just depends on your learning style. My advice would be to take some time to adjust to college because it may be overwhelming at first. All of this comes from my personal experience with myself along with other friends which I met in college.

Yeah I took a few during high school. I had really three levels of college courses, one such as medical terminology was ridiculously easy, and I plan on most courses being much more difficult. AP Biology was much more time intensive. I wanted to treat it like a college course and studied normally 2 hours a night between homework, more on test nights. Thats what I assume majority of the classes will be like. I also had some in between classes which werent as intense as biology.

ProV1

Now that I think about it, a frequent player pass would be best. Cheaper, and it would still allow me to head up to the course on weekends occasionally. Which is what I would really like. Then Ill be a member at my home course (my dad always gets family membership) when I come home for the summer and play every day.

ProV1

From what I take from this is that you're going to the University of Iowa. I also go to Iowa and am going to be a sophomore. If you don't take a car, odds are you aren't gonna be playing much golf as Finkbine isn't on a bus line or anything. I played all the time in high school and actually played 3 times last semester and that was it. I have a few friends who are taking the medical track and there is a lot of work to put in to get the grades you need.
If you're not going to Iowa, just disregard everything I just said. :russian_roulette:

I am a vet, and going to school is the best thing I did. While I eat, sleep and breathe golf, the most satisfaction I get is out of helping my clients. I suggest you go to school, make the big cash and then take great golf vacations. Make sure you marry a person who at least enjoys the game. My wife and I play a lot together both with the kids and by ourselves. Not always the most fun playing with the kids, but you do get to spend good QT with them this way. Good luck!!!

Thanks guys! Great advice! And yes Im going to Iowa, I may be taking a car im not sure. I have to talk that all over with my parents and everything.

ProV1

What I think I may do, is really just work on physical stuff, and if i just have a weekend where I have to play, have my parents come get me and play a round at our home course on a Saturday. We live only a half hour away and my parents come up usually every week (they will not be visiting me that much I can guarentee you) Other than that Ill put most of my focus into maintaining grades and just getting the most out of my college experience. What I really want to do is get the same feeling as the people who saved my life got, that appreciation would just make it all worth it. Also, I wanna give my kids the same privileged life that my dad gave me.

ProV1

Dude, I'm a corporate recruiter. GO TO SCHOOL. That's the first thing that eliminates a candidate in comparing multiple resumes. Golf will always be there as long as you can physically do it. One of my mentors in my career had a quote he told me before he passed away. "There are two things that no one can ever take away from you: Education and experience." Work hard, play golf, build a life for yourself and find a good girl and marry her. Then continue working hard. You will be much happier in the long run. But the first step in building that life is an education, especially in this economy. Give yourself every edge you can because your buddies will be doing the exact same thing.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Thanks guys, yeah I knew I would do school the whole time, I just needed help getting confidence in the medical route. Its alot of school, the work doesnt scare me and I know its a career Id love. Just needed help getting confidence in doing it, you guys have helped. Thanks.

ProV1

[quote name='zodiackill' date='28 June 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1277776195' post='2543293']
Okay, so at the moment im going to college this coming fall for integrative physiology and pre-med. Then following that med school is my plans. Difficulty of classes isnt what Im worried about, I can do that just fine. Its just like, whenever I do anything, Im thinking about golf. I get done with school and am immediately out at the course for 4 or 5 hours before I come home to do my work and get supper. Also, now that its summer and Im holding a job, I go and hit around 200 balls and play 9 starting at about 6:30 in the morning, go to work, get done and head straight back to the course till 8. I enjoy every second of it and have done this for almost 2 years now. I just want to make sure going into medicine will be a good choice, because dont get me wrong, science is my favorite course in school. I just keep thinking maybe I should do something golf related. Granted it would be a much more meager living than an anesthesiologist, I just dont know. Help tell me Im doing the right decision on taking the path to med school!
[/quote]

From a psychology perspective (I have 8yrs of ed) having a love of the game of golf doesn't trump committing to a future in medicine. Golf is a game, medical school and what comes later is a career. Difference, golf is just a mind numbing activity (needed to get better), medicine is a complex demanding mentally stimulating life long career that in itself makes you better. Trust me when I say "loving a certain activity doesn't mean you'd love doing that activity for the rest of your life". However, it might appear that's a possibility to someone just starting out.

Try wrapping your head around these thoughts... Choosing a life long career has to have associated desire and dedicated progress and improvement; same is true when it comes to making a marriage commitment for life. At times you won't have the same passion that was there at the beginning; it evolves over time.

I've been in my career for thirty+ years; not as a psychologist. At times it's a pain, other times it's a joy and still other times I feel an affinity for it... But what's constant and kept me going is for as long as I can remember I made a routine simple commitment and have stuck to it even when the love wasn't in the forefront; again like marriage.

Another thought that relates and ties into "18 holes of golf being a microcosm of our life". During a round of golf we face all types of distractions and issues that need or don't need attention... much like what happens over a life long career and a marriage. Its then in spite of our feelings of the game we rely upon a simple routine that isn't associated with feelings or our love of the game to get the job done.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Those were some truly amazing words. I understand everything you said and it really does make sense. I dont really have any doubts as to where Im headed now because I see that so many of you that love the game as much as I do still make time for it even with their careers.
Also, taking this career all the way through Ill be able to get my kids into the game early in life and let them play if they enjoy it. Pass on the enjoyment of the game in my opinion.

ProV1

I used to work at a course, and here's what I found; everyone who was working there as a pro or GM, didn't really have passion for the game anymore. They spend countless hours there working and giving lessons, so when they aren't working, they really don't want to be there playing anymore. They used to be just like me, as in, they would play golf as much as they possibly could. However, they turned golf into a job, and that obviously doesn't make it a hobby anymore.

Everything changes when you start having a family. They become your top priority, not your golf game. When you're not working or giving lessons, you want to be with them, not on the course. Throw kids in there, and this is even more true. I took and passed the PAT (first time too :P), knowing I probably wouldn't go into the golfing industry, but kind of wanted to see if I could do it, and as a backup plan.

For those who say education is the end-all, be-all solution, I would have to disagree in some aspects. I'm all about education, so long as it's the right kind. A college degree is NOTHING more than a hunting license for a job, there are no guarantees. How many college grads out there cannot find a job, and are waiting tables or something similar? Sure sure, things could change in four years when he's out of undergrad, but what if they don't? What if they're worse? My advice, don't put all your eggs into one basket, and that includes your income.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

hayzoo, I agreed with pretty much everything you said, till you called a degree a "hunting license". You're right there are too many grads that cannot find a jobs... but, that's not because they have a degree; it's because their "head" lack motivation, clarity, desire and commitment, and just maybe they've been influenced by an entitlement crowd. I know that because I've interviewed thousands. Which ever is the case, for most people having a college degree outweighs not having one, and it opens more opportunity. From there its no different then progressing in golf... the only person that gets in the way of progress is found in the mirror. Degree or no degree has nothing to do with success...

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='29 June 2010 - 01:47 PM' timestamp='1277837259' post='2544962']
hayzoo, I agreed with pretty much everything you said, till you called a degree a "hunting license". You're right there are too many grads that cannot find a jobs... but, that's not because they have a degree; it's because their "head" lack motivation, clarity, desire and commitment, and just maybe they've been influenced by an entitlement crowd. I know that because I've interviewed thousands. Which ever is the case, [b]for most people having a college degree outweighs not having one, and it opens more opportunity[/b]. From there its no different then progressing in golf... the only person that gets in the way of progress is found in the mirror. [b]Degree or no degree has nothing to do with success...[/b]
[/quote]

Agree with you, and could not possibly agree any more with the last bit you wrote. Sounds like we actually think quite a bit alike...

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' date='29 June 2010 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1277832270' post='2544765']
I used to work at a course, and here's what I found; everyone who was working there as a pro or GM, didn't really have passion for the game anymore. They spend countless hours there working and giving lessons, so when they aren't working, they really don't want to be there playing anymore. They used to be just like me, as in, they would play golf as much as they possibly could. However, they turned golf into a job, and that obviously doesn't make it a hobby anymore.

Everything changes when you start having a family. They become your top priority, not your golf game. When you're not working or giving lessons, you want to be with them, not on the course. Throw kids in there, and this is even more true. I took and passed the PAT (first time too :P), knowing I probably wouldn't go into the golfing industry, but kind of wanted to see if I could do it, and as a backup plan.

For those who say education is the end-all, be-all solution, I would have to disagree in some aspects. I'm all about education, so long as it's the right kind. A college degree is NOTHING more than a hunting license for a job, there are no guarantees. How many college grads out there cannot find a job, and are waiting tables or something similar? Sure sure, things could change in four years when he's out of undergrad, but what if they don't? What if they're worse? My advice, don't put all your eggs into one basket, and that includes your income.
[/quote]

A medical degree is in no way a "hunting liscense." I haven't even started med school quite yet but already have had offers from a couple of clinics. Dr.s are in extreme short supply and if you complete a medical degree you will have a job...no doubt!

I may get a slap on the wrist for this one but.........give it about 4-5 years. When the price of med school is still in the couple hundred thousand range, and because of this wonderful healthcare plan, their salaries are cut by 1/3 to 1/2...

For now though, I do agree with you that the medical field is totally different, and I was really speaking to college in general. My wife has her doctorate and can get a job almost anywhere she wants to. But, she too is worried about national health care and the fact her salary will probably be cut in 1/2 in the next few years.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Well with the healthcare I believe it is really going to hurt specialists because it will eventually put a cap on what they can make, but I will be going into primary care, general practicioning, and will make pretty much the same. But I will be done in the next 4-5 yrs so I guess we will know then!!!