How To Spot Fake Golf Pride New Decade Multicompounds

jickjick Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭
Comparison Pics of genuine versus counterfeit
I was checking one of our local on-course shops and found they were selling Golf Pride New Decade Multicompounds.

At first glance, they looked like the real deal. But upon closer inspection, I noticed some flaws which leads me to believe they are counterfeit. I then Googled about counterfeits and yes this grip model has been copied a lot.

I decided to post some of these pics to help you guys spotting the genuine article from the imitation. I guess it really is important to purchase from an authorized dealer. The fakers have definitely upped the ante, as you can see in the first three photos - the originals and the fakes are virtually indistinguishable.

For two photos without comments, can you guys spot which ones are genuine and which are not?

The other photos have my comments.

I also brought out the green for reference because the green had the text in the grip cap reversed - same for all the other colors except the red one.

Later, I will post pictures about the weight difference of the grips if there are.

Comments

• w8liftrw8liftr w8lifting, club swinging, Metal Monster!!! ClubWRX Posts: 2,253 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comparison photos. I usually buy them retail, but have considered buying from ebay.
  • Pure745Pure745 CPC #15 Members Posts: 11,487 ✭✭
    Oh my! I don't know why I am surprised.. I guess it was only a matter of time really.. Iomics will be next for sure.

Thank you for the post Jick.. good info.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist TS3 8.5 - Fujikura TR7
    Titleist 917F2 15 - Fujikura Speeder 857 Evo2 Proto
    Mizuno 919T - KBS CTL
    Mizuno S18 46/50
    [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey 54V/60V
    Scotty Cameron 009 Tool Box

Instagram: @pure745 https://www.instagram.com/pure745/[/font]
  • RanmanRanman Members Posts: 302 ✭✭
    Pure745 wrote on 28 June 2010 - 11:28 PM:

Oh my! I don't know why I am surprised.. I guess it was only a matter of time really.. Iomics will be next for sure.

I had a customer bring me some Multicompounds to install. He purchased off Ebay for less than I can get and just thought he saved money. Rougher texture than the real ones. With the savings in the price of the grip, if you wear a glove better double up on them. I saved one I also cut off when I regripped someones clubs who had them.
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 6 Black Stiff
    Ping G410 3 Wood 14.5 Tensei CK Orange 70 XStiff
    Ping G410 5 Wood (set at 19 degrees) Tensei CK Orange XStiff
    Ping G410 4 Hybrid PX Evenflow 85 XStiff
    Ping G410 5-UW AWT 2.0 X Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth WS 56(bent to 55) AWT 2.0 X Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth WS 60 AWT 2.0 X Stiff
    Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C 33"
    Wilson Staff Duo Professional
  • jorfely305jorfely305 Members Posts: 286 ✭✭
    I bought some off ebay but I made sure to only buy ones that still had the plastic around the butt end. That way I could take it to the golf shop and exchange them for colors I liked.
  • masterlimasterli Members Posts: 510
    wow, nice post. i just switched to mc's. haven't bought from unauth dealers but nice to know they're out there w/ this info. nicely done.
  • electroleumelectroleum Calgary,ABLefty Boomers Posts: 1,255 ✭✭
    Pure745 wrote on 28 June 2010 - 09:28 PM:

I'm with you on this one. It's surprising but it's not.
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero // Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 2H // Callaway X-Forged 2013 3-PW //
    Callaway Mack Daddy Black 52* 56* 60* // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"
  • texagjoshtexagjosh that rug really tied the room together Members Posts: 478
    What a fantastic thread. Thank you.
  • Johwak121Johwak121 Members Posts: 711
    Wow the fakes look like they could be pretty hard to spot if you dont know what to look for.

Would take a very keen eye to catch some of these subtle differences.

Thanks for the pics and keep up the good work image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />

• jickjick Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭
    The fakes weighed in at 50.5 to 52.

The real ones (at least the 20 or so I had in-hand) weighed consistently between 46 and 47.5 which is all within 1-gram of the published spec of 47 grams (since I had the .60 round)

So even in the weight there is a world of difference.
  • stevehjstevehj MissouriMembers Posts: 354 ✭✭
    So can one expect that only the real grips have the plastic around the butt end?

jorfely305 wrote on 28 June 2010 - 11:28 PM:

I bought some off ebay but I made sure to only buy ones that still had the plastic around the butt end. That way I could take it to the golf shop and exchange them for colors I liked.
  • shimi08shimi08 Members Posts: 156
    thanks for informing us...ive been looking to buy some on ebay too
  • AZPhys13AZPhys13 Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Does your local shop know they have fakes? Where did they get them?
    G25 10.5*
    909F2 15.5*
    909H 21*
    S55 4-PW
    Scratch DD 53*, 58*
    Anser Milled 0
  • westopherrwestopherr Members Posts: 118
    yea does the local shop know that they are selling fakes? has Golfpride put out anything in regards to this matter?

• RanmanRanman Members Posts: 302 ✭✭
    jorfely305 wrote on 29 June 2010 - 12:28 AM:

Why not just support the golf shop and not take a chance on buying fake ones. Just a thought.
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 6 Black Stiff
    Ping G410 3 Wood 14.5 Tensei CK Orange 70 XStiff
    Ping G410 5 Wood (set at 19 degrees) Tensei CK Orange XStiff
    Ping G410 4 Hybrid PX Evenflow 85 XStiff
    Ping G410 5-UW AWT 2.0 X Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth WS 56(bent to 55) AWT 2.0 X Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth WS 60 AWT 2.0 X Stiff
    Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C 33"
    Wilson Staff Duo Professional
  • DPGCidolDPGCidol Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

Hey,
    I've bought some new grips from ebay and I'm still not sure if those are original. Can you help?

Thanks

I'v

• dtc0207dtc0207 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭

Sorry dpgcidl those are fake

Thank you, I've contacted Golf Pride via Twitter in the meantime and they confirmed that those are fake. I've paid 99€ for 13 grips.

• Yanki01Yanki01 TEXASMembers Posts: 6,105 ✭✭

yikes those are horrible.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

Yup, I already have my money back but the seller still offers a lot of fake Golf Pride and other grips. I've reported him to ebay. Hopefully they block him. I don't want to report him to the police because I don't have time for what comes up then...
    I now found an apparently serious dealer with a good price (12€ for the MCC align in white)

• thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,928 ✭✭

What'd ya do with em?

With the counterfeits? I sent them back to the seller but kept the grip tape hehe Or what do you mean?

• ffmedicmattffmedicmatt FFMedicMatt Cleveland OHMembers Posts: 505 ✭✭

I bought some MCC align +4 on the bay. Just to see. Pictures seemed good but were fakes when I got them. Feel was awful. And yes they had plastic on the ends.

WITB FFMedicMatt

Taylor Made M3 8.5 Tour AD-BB 7X Shaft
    Taylor Made M2 15 degree Tour AD-DI 7x Shaft
    Taylor Made R15 Rescue 2 hybird X Shaft
    Taylor Made Tour Preferred 4-PW
    Vokey 52,56,60 SM4 oil can wedges
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5R
    Taylor Made TP5x or K-Sig
    edited May 21, 2019 5:53am #24

Yesterday I got my original MCC Align and they look way more neat. They also do have a serial number in the inside. The smell is completely different. The originals smell like new tires. You can smell the rubber quality. The GP letter margins are sharp not like in the pictures I've posted and there is like no residue of rubber.

Edit: I think every time you see a apparently good deal (grip <11€) they are fake.

• M4TTM4TT EnglandMembers Posts: 1,420 ✭✭

Picked up 20 MCC plus 4 grips from a well known Chinese site. 20 grips for $40. Delivered within a week and all packaged as per genuine grips. Look, feel, sized exactly the same. Fakes? Sure. Exactly the same for a fraction of the price? Yep. No brainer.

TAYLORMADE M3 HZRDUS YELLOW 6.5
    COBRA F8 19* HZRDUS BLACK 6.5
    CALLAWAY XR PRO 23* PX 6.0
    TAYLORMADE R9 TP 5 IRON KBS S
    TAYLORMADE MC 6-PW KBS S TITLEIST SM6 52, 56
    SCOTTY CAMERON CUSTOM STAMPED BLACK 2018 NEWPORT
    TITLEIST PROV1 X
    CLICGEAR 3.5
    SRIXON ZFOUR CAMO BAG

• GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,676 ✭✭

@M4TT said:
    Picked up 20 MCC plus 4 grips from a well known Chinese site. 20 grips for $40. Delivered within a week and all packaged as per genuine grips. Look, feel, sized exactly the same. Fakes? Sure. Exactly the same for a fraction of the price? Yep. No brainer.

I hope the next time you drop $250 on a Scotty Cameron that it’s fake. Then you can just shrug your shoulders and say “eh, it putts a ball just like any other hunk of metal, plus I saved $150!”. Because you can’t have it both ways - excusing counterfeiters of grips because you consider it a good deal, and then cursing a counterfeiter when you aren’t knowingly supporting their criminal endeavor.

edited May 21, 2019 2:14pm #27

@M4TT said:

Hi, can you please post some photos of the counterfeits?
    After my experience I checked one of my older 3 woods that I don't use anymore. I regripped it a couple years ago with a GP MCC from ebay. It's obviously also fake.
    The grip looks very worn, although it was hardly used... compared with an older, original model, no comparison. I think your grips will not even last one season... Being stingy while playing golf... I don't know but that sounds a little weird to me!?

• ttgolfttgolf Members Posts: 245 ✭✭

@Ranman said:
    jorfely305 wrote on 29 June 2010 - 12:28 AM:

Why not just support the golf shop and not take a chance on buying fake ones. Just a thought.

I had a customer bring some fake MCC grips in just a couple weeks ago that had the plastic around the butt end of the grip.

Having the plastic around the butt end of the grip is no indicator for not being counterfeit. Mine also had.